Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
OK. I swore I saw people talking about it in the thread before, but I did have a super late start on the last few episodes, so it might have just been bad timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, are CO2 fire suppression systems a real thing? That just seems weird to me.

So the previous episode absolutely ruled out at least 1 person. We can also rule out Jiyoon because she's a serial killer whose MO is caustic soda. She already tried and failed on that day, so no need to go back right then.

Hani and Jinho stood out as the obvious suspects at first. Hani because of her extensive motive and that she is the last person to be confirmed by another suspect to have gone into the room, and Jinho because he could have easily moved the bookshelf and his futile attempts to awkwardly incriminate Jiyoon. But I'm reconsidering Dongmin in place of Jinho. Consider the possibility that after attempting to strangle Yoon, he then went outside, blocked the door, and hit the button to flood the room with CO2, waited a bit, then went back inside to tidy up. Also, Hani became less likely because she is less likely to have moved the bookshelf, and Jinho is less likely because he was at a gas station around 12:45, which provides him with an alibi.

My only issue with this is why Dongmin would admit to the strangling. It's not the strangling part that's important, it's the fact that he's also telling them he was there between 12:20 and 1:00 when the murder happened. It seems weird that he would incriminate himself like that.

... And then Jinho completely changes my mind. His analysis felt spot on. It seems Jiyoon is the one. e: OH MY GOD IT'S THE FOOTPRINT THE DETECTIVE WAS LOOKING FOR. Yeah, it's definitive.

Post-results: :stonk: what the balls. How. How the gently caress is it not- OH YOU FUCKERS DON'T MESS WITH ME LIKE THAT.

... Oh no, poor detective. The curse lives on.

The awards were pretty fun though. I'm siked for a season 3, though that'll probably not come till next year.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Only the killer can lie, and Jiyoon was so obviously lying about not killing that couple in Seattle. Then there were all the other connections people made that made it obvious on top of that, even before the footprint! That was one of the easiest cases of the season, so it's funny that the detective, who was really good!, bungled it, haha. The awards show was a fun way to end the season. Really fun season of Crime Scene, and now we get The Genius! Btw, I think Crime Scene may have run out of twists after doing the double muder, the meta suspects playing themselves episode, the missing body episode, and the Kangnam Park twist.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Only the killer can lie, and Jiyoon was so obviously lying about not killing that couple in Seattle. Then there were all the other connections people made that made it obvious on top of that, even before the footprint! That was one of the easiest cases of the season, so it's funny that the detective, who was really good!, bungled it, haha. The awards show was a fun way to end the season. Really fun season of Crime Scene, and now we get The Genius! Btw, I think Crime Scene may have run out of twists after doing the double muder, the meta suspects playing themselves episode, the missing body episode, and the Kangnam Park twist.

The only way I can explain the detective loving up is that he's so used to proper detective work that abstract deduction doesn't come naturally.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

The only way I can explain the detective loving up is that he's so used to proper detective work that abstract deduction doesn't come naturally.

Also, he didn't get to find that final bit of evidence he was looking for, which Dongmin found. The time constraints that Crime Scene places on the evidence searching forces that collective decision making, so too bad Dong Min only found it during the final individual search and didn't get to share it with the rest, because it was pretty conclusive.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Waiting for The Genius, I'm consoling myself with an unwatched season of Crime Scene. Just finished episode 3.

So far, both of the killers just seemed really obvious and the cast talking themselves out of the correct answers was just :psyduck:

I hope they figure this poo poo out, and soon. I still love the show, but it's not terribly satisfying watching celebrities be dummies (except for Dongmin and Jinho).

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

So, are CO2 fire suppression systems a real thing? That just seems weird to me.
Yes, but usually not in places with people around and it seems like overkill for a TV station.

Fast Luck posted:

Only the killer can lie, and Jiyoon was so obviously lying about not killing that couple in Seattle.
And this confused the hell out of me because that was her out for the primary murder. Denying that she was murdering people just made everyone else look at her even harder.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just saw the end of Crime Scene Episode 12 and was shocked that this is a two-parter...also that they film so late at night.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What made me catch on to Jiyoon was her "so you're saying it was me?" reaction to being accused that was exactly what she did when she was accused as Beauty Park.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Did they add more evidence in between the two episodes?

It seems like there was just so much that didn't come up at all in the first run at the case, even with the missing room. The fire supression system, the moved book case, the spilled coffee, the footprint in the notes... and none of it was caught before? The producers got really lucky that Jiyoon wasn't caught during episode 1. That footprint thing is a lock almost on its own.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I'm a couple episodes in to S1 and something's really bothering me; why are the players trading garnets for favors as though the garnets had actual value? If you're eliminated, you lose all your garnets, and it seems like they can only be cashed in at the very end by the final winner. Is this addressed later on?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

I'm a couple episodes in to S1 and something's really bothering me; why are the players trading garnets for favors as though the garnets had actual value? If you're eliminated, you lose all your garnets, and it seems like they can only be cashed in at the very end by the final winner. Is this addressed later on?

There are often other benefits for having garnets.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Plus it keeps more money in the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Also in seasons 1 and 2, the winner of a deathmatch got the losers garnets. None were lost until S3.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
but to be nice they gave their garnets to a bud for safekeeping in case they died anyway. I'm glad the contestants in the genius aren't as lovely as an American version's would be, but they could do with being a little more ruthless sometimes. I don't think anyone played the gambit of "if you pick me for the deathmatch and I die, say goodbye to all my garnets" gambit once.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah somebody did that last season, she called herself a bomb. I think it may have been Yeonjoo.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

sharktamer posted:

but to be nice they gave their garnets to a bud for safekeeping in case they died anyway. I'm glad the contestants in the genius aren't as lovely as an American version's would be, but they could do with being a little more ruthless sometimes. I don't think anyone played the gambit of "if you pick me for the deathmatch and I die, say goodbye to all my garnets" gambit once.

Yeah, it was sort of weak how they made that new rule basically a non-thing a few episodes in after you realized you could give up your garnets before the deathmatch starts. That said, the games wouldn't have had so many garnets to go around afterwards. Wasn't very thought out by the producers.

1975 Toyota Carolla
Apr 18, 2006
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
Pillbug
Made a .gif of my favorite moment from Season 1. Spoiler Warning I guess.
http://i.imgur.com/xB8hXCl.gifv

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This last case was so ridiculous that I'm not sure if the writers were making of fun of themselves.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah somebody did that last season, she called herself a bomb. I think it may have been Yeonjoo.

Yeah, Yeonjoo pulled that one out last season. I don't remember it very well, but I think she refused to give up her garnets for safekeeping just in case.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

THE YAK ASSASSIN posted:

Made a .gif of my favorite moment from Season 1. Spoiler Warning I guess.
http://i.imgur.com/xB8hXCl.gifv

I literally don't remember this. What's it from?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It was from Ep 10 around the 12 minute mark. I recognized HaHa immediately from the gif.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Suspicious Dish posted:

S1, the second Horse Race game, when they got to invite guests. The contestants got stuck in rooms they couldn't leave during the game.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I guess they're coming out with an actual Genius board game in Korea

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&oid=020&aid=0002814998&sid1=001

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamit, this wait is killing me.

Is the last we heard about this first episode that it'd be out a few days after the last CS episode went up?

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
This was posted about 14 hours ago:
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/615866185867878401
"I think I might get episode 1 done tomorrow."

At least one more day of waiting.

If there's any twitter worth following, it's this one. In fact, this is the only twitter account I do follow and the reason why I check twitter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BurningDance posted:

This was posted about 14 hours ago:
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/615866185867878401
"I think I might get episode 1 done tomorrow."

At least one more day of waiting.

If there's any twitter worth following, it's this one. In fact, this is the only twitter account I do follow and the reason why I check twitter.

Great! I wonder if Wed will be the regular update day, or if it's just this first episode. It would kinda suck because Mr. Robot airs wednesdays and that's a lot to watch in a day.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ViggyNash posted:

Great! I wonder if Wed will be the regular update day, or if it's just this first episode. It would kinda suck because Mr. Robot airs wednesdays and that's a lot to watch in a day.

It's really all based on the translator's schedule. I mean, it's pretty impressive to me that one person not only translates all the dialogue and text, but does all the timing and font styling themselves and gets it uploaded in like 4 days.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

qbert posted:

It's really all based on the translator's schedule. I mean, it's pretty impressive to me that one person not only translates all the dialogue and text, but does all the timing and font styling themselves and gets it uploaded in like 4 days.

Yeah, Bumdidly is our only source for a lot of rad Korean T.V., and we should all be thankful for their efforts.

Also I never use twitter so I can't make this pretty, but this just in:

Bumdidlyumptious ‏@Bumdidlyump 1 minute ago

Finally finished episode 1. Encoding now and will upload when I wake up.

:f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

:siren::siren::siren::siren: IT BEGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS:siren::siren::siren::siren:

e: This opening is rad.

e2: (very early on) EXTREME WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS :toot:

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 1, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Can we get a new thread for the new season, and maybe focus it on only 1 show this time? This is going to get chaotic if people are trying to post crime scene and genius spoilers next to each other.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Crime Scene is over for this season.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/616306015240237056

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Lugaloco posted:

This may or may not have given me chills. It did

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Lugaloco posted:

So gooood. Thoughts on the first episode and preview of the second episode (major spoilers, don't read if you haven't seen the episode!):

Pretty ballsy of Sangmin to betray almost the entire field in the first episode, but it's Sangmin so he'll somehow not be targeted ever for it. My current hatred is fueled toward Junseok, since he spazzed out and started making off with the trading card and didn't really have a good reason to make himself a target by doing so (Sangmin at least felt guilty and knew he would secure first place this round), although the main alliance really should have realized that they just had to do one or two semi-risky trades to get back on track much faster. Sangmin's betrayal still would have probably worked, but they may have had more time to figure something out, AKA swap the card back to Tittygod because he's a moron. And yeah, I expected to hate Tittygod, and I still do a fair amount for his sheer incompetence, but I'm getting a sick thrill out of watching him be used by everyone, sit around helplessly, never stick to an alliance, and be unable to follow even the simplest instructions. Overall an impressive amount of behind the scenes chicanery considering Hyunmin had cracked two separate (extreme) ways for most of the players to get loads of points.

Next week should be fun, it looks like Dongmin's in peril, Tittygod is still worthless, and a garnet match already.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

NowonSA posted:

So gooood. Thoughts on the first episode and preview of the second episode (major spoilers, don't read if you haven't seen the episode!):

Pretty ballsy of Sangmin to betray almost the entire field in the first episode, but it's Sangmin so he'll somehow not be targeted ever for it. My current hatred is fueled toward Junseok, since he spazzed out and started making off with the trading card and didn't really have a good reason to make himself a target by doing so (Sangmin at least felt guilty and knew he would secure first place this round), although the main alliance really should have realized that they just had to do one or two semi-risky trades to get back on track much faster. Sangmin's betrayal still would have probably worked, but they may have had more time to figure something out, AKA swap the card back to Tittygod because he's a moron. And yeah, I expected to hate Tittygod, and I still do a fair amount for his sheer incompetence, but I'm getting a sick thrill out of watching him be used by everyone, sit around helplessly, never stick to an alliance, and be unable to follow even the simplest instructions. Overall an impressive amount of behind the scenes chicanery considering Hyunmin had cracked two separate (extreme) ways for most of the players to get loads of points.

Next week should be fun, it looks like Dongmin's in peril, Tittygod is still worthless, and a garnet match already.

I get far more enjoyment from people on the show bemoaning every dumb, incomprehensibly bad move Junseok makes than actually watching the guy himself. Dude is a chore on the senses but it's worth it for everyone else's reaction to his stupidity. I love to hate him so loving much.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Oh man that was a good episode.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Titty god is so bad at this.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Lugaloco posted:

I get far more enjoyment from people on the show bemoaning every dumb, incomprehensibly bad move Junseok makes than actually watching the guy himself. Dude is a chore on the senses but it's worth it for everyone else's reaction to his stupidity. I love to hate him so loving much.

Yeah, I may get there too, apparently I just take a season or two to move on to that state of mind. Also, something that just occurred to me about the main match:

I'm surprised that no one marked their cards given how many unofficial swaps were going on. The rules didn't forbid it, and it looked like there were pens around. You don't have to necessarily mark it as commoner/noble/traitor either, just some symbol you recognize. If the main alliance had thought to do that with even a few of its cards they wouldn't have had much of an issue, though Sangmin's sleight of hand and timing was good enough that they still were probably doomed. I dunno, the more I think about it the more the key to their salvation was having enough time to complete all their planned swaps without issue, and having card backups would have meant they could no-sell Junseok's stupidity and take care of everybody. In an absolute best-case scenario, they could figure out that Sangmin betrayed them, discuss someone from the main alliance to go to the death match and someone to be the winner (out of a pairing that hasn't traded with one another yet), then do a traitor trade between those two people to give the winner +3 and the death match guy picks Sangmin who's now eligible since he doesn't get the "traded away the traitor last" bonus. It seems convoluted, but Hyunmin would probably propose it right away, and it would be a hell of a callback to season 2 for Sangmin to be in a deathmatch right away instead of coasting to the finals with 0 deathmatches and not get away with doing whatever he wants.

Oh Genius, I'm so glad you're back so I can overthink how things go down in each episode :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Five minutes in, and Extreme Ways is back again. :allears: I missed you, The Genius.