Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Grimman007 posted:

On the stats screen, I noticed that if you press enter over a skill, it changes color. Help screen says this "toggles skill training"; does this mean that it's turned off, or that you become more focused in that skill?

It means that it's turned off for training. I think if you have an activity like shooting a gun that trains two skills at the same time you can turn off one of them to make all the training go towards one skill (which can be good for boosting marksmanship/archery quicker), but that's really the only use it potentially serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
This game is loving insane. I just narrowly missed running over a necromancer during a handbrake turn, so I took my hands off the wheel and started shooting mid-skid. This is way way better than nethack.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It means that it's turned off for training. I think if you have an activity like shooting a gun that trains two skills at the same time you can turn off one of them to make all the training go towards one skill (which can be good for boosting marksmanship/archery quicker), but that's really the only use it potentially serves.

You can turn off a skill like Melee or Driving that keeps tanking your Focus if you decide you're skilled enough now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I don't think it works like that. Each skill's XP gain is usually calculated separately, not as a fraction of the total XP reward. It might help if you want to e.g. train marksmanship with a coilgun without increasing pistol skill, since high enough skill levels make it harder to gain xp from guns.

But that only seems worthwhile if you have absolutely no good pistols, and you plan to do all your real shooting with a rifle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Doesn't every skill increase subtract from your focus, which in turn affects the rate at which all skills train? I'm pretty sure it's still more economical to train just one skill instead of two at a time, provided you want one skill and not the other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Robco Certified is go!
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10667.0

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The wiki is not helping-- how do I learn the recipe for a scabbard? I've found a nice rapier and I'd like a way to carry it when I need my hands for something else.

Figures that a previous, now deceased character in a deleted world found scabbards lying around by the dozen, but no swords, while this character found a nice sword but no scabbard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

The wiki is not helping-- how do I learn the recipe for a scabbard? I've found a nice rapier and I'd like a way to carry it when I need my hands for something else.

Figures that a previous, now deceased character in a deleted world found scabbards lying around by the dozen, but no swords, while this character found a nice sword but no scabbard.

You don't need to learn a recipe to make scabbards. You need Cutting Weapons at 1+.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is there a specific place where the glassblowing book is likely to spawn or do I just have insanely bad luck pilfering libraries and mansions?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

queserasera posted:

Is there a specific place where the glassblowing book is likely to spawn or do I just have insanely bad luck pilfering libraries and mansions?

It's just a very uncommon drop I think. I just finished up a game with a character who looted 7-8 mansions and maybe 5 towns worth of libraries and never found a copy.

Fortunately you don't need it for much, either; glass sheets and bottles are trivial to loot anywhere, and you can hit up labs for flasks.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Any particular tricks to making the experimentals run faster? Things get painfully slow at high spawn rates.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

AceRimmer posted:

Any particular tricks to making the experimentals run faster? Things get painfully slow at high spawn rates.

What tileset are you using, and what zoom level are you set at? Things slow way the gently caress down for me when there's too much displayed on the screen at once, even if nothing particularly interesting is happening within my immediate field of view.

I've also found that random NPCs can cause a lot of slowdown if you don't have them set to spawn really infrequently.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

What tileset are you using, and what zoom level are you set at? Things slow way the gently caress down for me when there's too much displayed on the screen at once, even if nothing particularly interesting is happening within my immediate field of view.

I've also found that random NPCs can cause a lot of slowdown if you don't have them set to spawn really infrequently.
Retrodays x20 usually at the 2nd lowest zoom. Does turning off the combat message and the other mini animations also help?

I've got random NPCs at .25 but I will crank them down further, thanks!

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

What does "You hear a rattling noise coming from inside yourself" mean?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Just a guess, but do you have any malfunctioning bionics installations?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Grimman007 posted:

It appears that you have managed to eat a live rattlesnake. But nah, I checked the malfunctioning bionics list on the wiki and I don't see anything mentioning a rattle. I agree with Terezaz in that it seems like a bionic issue but I can't say for certain.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Grimman007 posted:

I've gotten this effect with certain kinds of artifacts. Have you picked up anything from anomalies (e.g., an item sitting in the center of a in a big pile of flaming/electric rubble)?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Grimman007 posted:

Your skeleton is trying to escape. You need to subdue it.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

VStraken posted:

I've gotten this effect with certain kinds of artifacts. Have you picked up anything from anomalies (e.g., an item sitting in the center of a in a big pile of flaming/electric rubble)?

Strange temple actually, but yeah. It's a "Robe of Shattered Death". Int +4, extra thin and light.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Grimman007 posted:

Strange temple actually, but yeah. It's a "Robe of Shattered Death". Int +4, extra thin and light.

I think that means it might also have a chance to make noise randomly as you do things while wear it, then

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Your skeleton is trying to escape. You need to subdue it.

Now I am thinking of the first Wishmaster's Persia scene where the first guy to summon the djinn asks to be shown wonders and somebody's skeleton does exactly that. We just need to figure out how to make djinns fit the sci-fi/nether dimension lore and this can be a real piece of advice. :getin:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is it possible for a lab to spawn without a finale? I've found two separate staircases to the lowest-so-far level of this one, but both of them lead to dead-end rooms with no exits. Is that just the end of the lab or should I come back with some way to bust down concrete and look for more?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is it possible for a lab to spawn without a finale? I've found two separate staircases to the lowest-so-far level of this one, but both of them lead to dead-end rooms with no exits. Is that just the end of the lab or should I come back with some way to bust down concrete and look for more?

I don't think it can just not spawn. Check for alternate staircases on the previous floor, or yeah, come back later and just dig your own way through if you want. Or just find another lab, it's a functionally infinite game world so there's no shortage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think it can just not spawn. Check for alternate staircases on the previous floor, or yeah, come back later and just dig your own way through if you want. Or just find another lab, it's a functionally infinite game world so there's no shortage.

This is actually the fourth lab I've visited (and the last one visible on my map). I went a little crazy after building myself a Heavy Survivor Suit. Two were ice labs (so I didn't go past the first floor), and the other had a "Subprime Access Terminal" that my character is too dumb to do anything with other than electrocute himself and spawn manhacks.

All that lab loot has left my guy all frankensteined out on bionic mods. I have almost every single power-generating bionic, 3000 energy capacity, and pretty much just a cranial flashlight to spend the power on.

Oh yeah and I can bionically tell the time and weather.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Subprime Access Terminals are the "lol gently caress you, it's a dud" of lab finales. They aren't even fully implemented and it's likely that if they were the effects of activating them would be bad for you anyways.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Why can't I cover this atomic nightlight in a sheet or something while I'm hauling it back to my secret base so that every zombie within a hundred meters doesn't make a beeline for me?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes the Cataclysm inventory system would make way more sense if you had to put stuff in containers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Putting things on a backpack and then dropping it when entering combat would be cool and all, but probably not worth the hassle of managing several inventory screens.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait. Does that mean that I have light constantly shining through the windows in my car since I installed an atomic lamp in the middle of it?

poo poo. And my curtains obviously don't extend to the windshield. Any ideas? I can wear a blindfold for sleeping but sometimes I dont want to attract literally all the zombies to my car at night with my lamp.

Atomic nightlights are supposed to just be 1 square versions of the lamp's light right? Is that 3x3 or something?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

poo poo. And my curtains obviously don't extend to the windshield. Any ideas? I can wear a blindfold for sleeping but sometimes I dont want to attract literally all the zombies to my car at night with my lamp.

Two options that I like:

1) Create an closed-in section of your vehicle for sleeping. You can't see out of it (all opaque parts), but you don't need to.
(Basically like the back part of a winnebago, with an opaque door between the driving cab and the living section)

2) Replace your windscreen with a shutter door. Open it when you're driving (wind in your hair). Close it when you stop.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Haven't seen it posted yet, but I've encountered this before and found the solution. I've found that RARELY, some labs can screw up their room generation so that the finale is still on the bottom floor, just completely inaccessible from any other point in the lab. The only way to get to it is to jackhammer, usually just a few diagonal walls, right in. No way for you to know which way to go unless you look through walls with the debug commands for a while.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's the vehicle parts mod packaged with the release that I am using but I definitely have a curtain over my windshield that I close whenever I'm not driving.

Also I think you can stick a camera to the outside and not even have a windshield and just drive using the camera? Dunno about that haven't tried it but I feel like I saw a post somewhere on the DDA forums of someone doing that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't think ants really have this whole "food" thing figured out. I just explored an anthill and their food chambers had more Megaman blasters than actual edible stuff. I found six of those things, plus a couple of metabolic interchanges.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They are also filled with insanely nutritious ant eggs if they aren't averse to cannibalism. It's seriously kinda overpowered. I made a big run through a hill and managed to get enough eggs to make months and months worth of powdered eggs for like no real work.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe it's the vehicle parts mod packaged with the release that I am using but I definitely have a curtain over my windshield that I close whenever I'm not driving.

Also I think you can stick a camera to the outside and not even have a windshield and just drive using the camera? Dunno about that haven't tried it but I feel like I saw a post somewhere on the DDA forums of someone doing that.

I've done that! The camera gives you a limited view range, I didn't count but I"d say around 40 tiles view range, amounts to around half of your screen. Zombies however have no clue what's going on if they can't see or smell you. They'll come towards the sound, but if you use an electric engine then there isn't much sound to come to.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kayle7 posted:

I've done that! The camera gives you a limited view range, I didn't count but I"d say around 40 tiles view range, amounts to around half of your screen. Zombies however have no clue what's going on if they can't see or smell you. They'll come towards the sound, but if you use an electric engine then there isn't much sound to come to.

I have a repurposed APC that I stripped the gas engine out of and replaced with a large electric engine... I still have that tiny windshield but I guess I may as well replace that poo poo with more plating and install cameras. The limited view range is too bad but I feel pretty limited with my 1 tile windshield anyway so it probably won't be much difference.

Thanks!

If they come towards to sound (say I run into a house or whatever) but there's no smell and they don't see me will they just go 'huh big chunk of metal' and leave it alone or will they start bashing to see what's up?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Moridin920 posted:

I have a repurposed APC that I stripped the gas engine out of and replaced with a large electric engine... I still have that tiny windshield but I guess I may as well replace that poo poo with more plating and install cameras. The limited view range is too bad but I feel pretty limited with my 1 tile windshield anyway so it probably won't be much difference.

Thanks!

If they come towards to sound (say I run into a house or whatever) but there's no smell and they don't see me will they just go 'huh big chunk of metal' and leave it alone or will they start bashing to see what's up?

Sometimes they do start bashing it and trying to break it, the bastards! Also be sure you install a camera control system or you won't be able to see what the cameras are showing

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Larry Parrish posted:

Sometimes the Cataclysm inventory system would make way more sense if you had to put stuff in containers.

They want to do this but don't want to actually implement it until someone comes up with / codes a way for the game to automatically put poo poo in bags for you in a way that doesn't require tons of micromanagement.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I believe atomic lights ARE squelched if you put them in a floor container or something of that nature, but don't quote me on that as I haven't done it myself yet.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe not. I know from my lab starts that if you stand on the same tile as them with the night vision trait, it still knocks your sight radius down to 1 just like other light sources.

Lamps aren't as important now they've fixed the sun anyway. You can actually craft fine through the entire day now, instead of suddenly becoming blind at 2pm.

edit: ah, floor container. Yeah, in that case they probably are.