Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Hammer Floyd posted:

Alestorm are coming to Australia.

What's the neckbeard ratio like at one of those shows?

Doesn't matter, go and see them. They put on a fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Heads up Apple Music launched today with a 3 month trial and so far the selection seems pretty drat good with a decent radio section. At least it didn't go from Destruction to goddamn Slayer like Spotify. If this can unseat Google Play in terms of variety I think things are gonna be good.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Hammer Floyd posted:

Alestorm are coming to Australia.

What's the neckbeard ratio like at one of those shows?

At least one if you go

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Vintersorg posted:

At least it didn't go from Destruction to goddamn Slayer like Spotify. .

This doesn't seem too far off to me as long as it was early Slayer. If it jumped to God Hates Us All or something that would be a problem

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vargatron posted:

Whoever suggested Unleash the Archers back a few pages is the best. It's so awesome to have a female vocalist who sings in a power metal style instead of that opera bullshit. I've been rocking Demons of the Astrowaste all weekend.
Yo.

Just listening to the new album Time Stands Still now, and while the older ones couldn't quite grab me apart from a couple good songs, this new one is some really good poo poo. It's one thing to do ridiculous cheesy power metal all self-consciously and make comedy or outright parody of it (i.e. Gloryhammer), and it's a whole other thing to just play it straight so sincerely and so goddamn well that it just works.
I mean I'm sure these guys still know how goofy this poo poo is, but they just don't need any of that *wink nudge hyuk hyuk* attitude to have fun with it.

Seems like this just might be on my top albums of 2015 list.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 30, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I hate campy power metal because it just comes across like the bands in that style are so universally insecure about liking and making power metal, as though they're making music like "hey, wouldn't it be funny if we actually played this style?" and then they all kiss

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Real excited to see Goatwhore/Black Breath on tuesday. Them + Ringworm is a real 'no posers allowed' kinda bill.

I saw Goatwhore approximately a million times as a teenager in the mid-2000, most of the time attached to a bill with some lovely scenecore band also on it. I know I'm like 5 years late and pointing out the obvious but as someone who grew up during the primetime of pop metalcore it feels slightly weird seeing a tour where I'm down with every band on it.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Vintersorg posted:

Heads up Apple Music launched today with a 3 month trial and so far the selection seems pretty drat good with a decent radio section. At least it didn't go from Destruction to goddamn Slayer like Spotify. If this can unseat Google Play in terms of variety I think things are gonna be good.

Cons: using an apple product

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Turk February posted:

Look at this edgy guy right here! Helpful products are too mainstream for him!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Turk February posted:

160 GB iPod classic user here. I feel like it's necessary for any metal fan with tons of music cause I never know what I feel like listening to on the road. I started replacing all my mp3s with apple lossless m4a files a while back too.

Still not gonna sign up to use that apple music though.. anytime I see a band or album mentioned by someone I just download it and listen when I can.. got hundreds of GBs of music sitting on an external HD that I try to get through slowly everyday.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried really drat hard to ignore streaming outside of Spotify for a short while in hopes of it dying out but here I am. Loving the poo poo out of Apple Music. 100% ready to drop the $15 a month for a family plan. It has everything I could ask for and the personalized playlists, suggestions, radio, etc were very pleasant surprises. Apple rules and is a loyal friend to metal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I bet all my favourite goatfago war metal bands aren't on Apple Music.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

I hate campy power metal because it just comes across like the bands in that style are so universally insecure about liking and making power metal, as though they're making music like "hey, wouldn't it be funny if we actually played this style?" and then they all kiss

Well that's just it, I look at Unleash the Archers and to me it seems like they're sincerely having a loving blast doing their thing and don't give a poo poo about being campy vs "true" or whatever. Like, on that video I previously linked there's not a single shot of the vocalist where she isn't either grinning or striking a rad pose, or both. It's great and puts a smile on my face too.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Totally going.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wow, I've never gone so fast from elation to depression, as when I looked at the lineup and then saw "Europe".

Fuuuuuuck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

COOL CORN posted:

Wow, I've never gone so fast from elation to depression, as when I looked at the lineup and then saw "Europe".

Fuuuuuuck.

You should live in florida and know that feeling all the time because no tours come here. I can't blame them though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

drat was hoping the dates would be in August since I'm planning on going to Europe then, but not entirely sure where. I'll be missing the good festivals by a weekend though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Europe also just got Carcass/Napalm Death/Obituary/Voivod. drat guys, you're killing us on the package tour front.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for good metal bands with Spanish/Portuguese/Italian vocals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH68UQhEqjc

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone got any recommendations for good metal bands with Spanish/Portuguese/Italian vocals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpN0bsjSctE

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_rVRTaCizY

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

He said "good", Teitanblood suck.

On topic... It's much easier to think of French-language bands, like Sortilege, Manigance, Misanthrope, etc. I'll try and see what I can come up with though.

Italian:
Psychofagist are some sort of mathcore/grind/noise rock band, pretty out-there.
Illogo are similarly hard to describe industrial math/sludge/something?
Nero di Marte will be your poo poo if you like Ulcerate, their first album has some Gojira-isms as well.
And of course, classic artists like Spite Extreme Wing, Janvs and Novembre.

Spanish:
I'd suggest Agora if you can tolerate Dream Theater-style prog metal. I normally dislike this style but Agora hit the spot for me. Sadly can't think of much else aside from more power metal and such - Aethra, Darksun, Delirion and Opera Magna (among others) are cool if you're into that sort of thing though.

And, more proto-metal/prog-rock than anything, but Ñu may be of interest.

Portuguese:

Well, there's Holocausto and a few other early black/death/thrash bands... Can't think of much, sorry. I know a number of cool death metal bands from Portugal, though, like Thormenthor and Disaffected.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

He said "good", Teitanblood suck.

What the hell man.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

What the hell man.

You can't carry an entire album on ~evil oppressive atmosphere~ if you're writing bloated, aimless songs with literally zero memorable riffs. gently caress war metal. It's boring for the same reason that deathcore songs consisting of 0-0-0-0 tabbing, or Meshuggah songs where they chug two notes for 5 minutes, are. Just one-dimensional and lacking in ideas. I get that it's meant to act in an ambient way, but music that totally discards melody in favor of homogenous guitar haze and muffled blasting is unsuccesful in an ambient context as well, and it holds nothing to interest me.

Basically all this modern occult black/death (with the exception of, like, Mitochondrion and Stargazer, who actually are competent instrumentalists and songwriters) is vapid low-effort trash being sold purely on aesthetic.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

You can't carry an entire album on ~evil oppressive atmosphere~ if you're writing bloated, aimless songs with literally zero memorable riffs. gently caress war metal. It's boring for the same reason that deathcore songs consisting of 0-0-0-0 tabbing, or Meshuggah songs where they chug two notes for 5 minutes, are. Just one-dimensional and lacking in ideas. I get that it's meant to act in an ambient way, but music that totally discards melody in favor of homogenous guitar haze and muffled blasting is unsuccesful in an ambient context as well, and it holds nothing to interest me.

Basically all this modern occult black/death (with the exception of, like, Mitochondrion and Stargazer, who actually are competent instrumentalists and songwriters) is vapid low-effort trash being sold purely on aesthetic.
Evil Thomas Kinkade.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

I think it's weird to single out Teitanblood with this complaint, because they do have memorable riffs, e.g. the opening riff here. they're stylistically a bit different from the Proclamations and Black Witcherys out there that are just cloning Blasphemy as well.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

I think it's weird to single out Teitanblood with this complaint, because they do have memorable riffs, e.g. the opening riff here. they're stylistically a bit different from the Proclamations and Black Witcherys out there that are just cloning Blasphemy as well.

Yeah they're not the bottom of the barrel, I'll admit that, they do their style well, it's just a really really stale style. Whatever potency that approach had back when Incantation and Blasphemy first did it has long since become mundane and played-out. I dig Incantation (especially Diabolical Conquest) and even some of Portal's stuff, but I don't see the point of a whole genre based on "hey, Fallen Angel of Doom and Onward to Golgotha were pretty loving cool".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For Spanish vocals check out Baron Rojo.

and Mago de Oz I guess.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah they're not the bottom of the barrel, I'll admit that, they do their style well, it's just a really really stale style. Whatever potency that approach had back when Incantation and Blasphemy first did it has long since become mundane and played-out. I dig Incantation (especially Diabolical Conquest) and even some of Portal's stuff, but I don't see the point of a whole genre based on "hey, Fallen Angel of Doom and Onward to Golgotha were pretty loving cool".

maybe my ears are busted, but Teitanblood sounds nothing like Incantation, like this doesn't even make sense as a comparison.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

updated list of confirmed MDF bands:

Auroch (Canada)
Bongripper
Bongzilla
Craft (Sweden)
Dead Church
Denouncement Pyre (Australia)
Desaster (Germany)
Deströyer 666
Disgorge
Excel
Exciter
General Surgery (Sweden)
Grave Miasma (UK)
Gruesome
Haemorrhage (Spain)
Hail of Bullets (Netherlands)
The Haunted (Sweden)
Hemdale
Impaled Nazarene (Finland)
Infernal Revulsion (Japan)
Jungle Rot
Khold (Norway)
Lord Belial (Sweden)
Malignant Tumour (Czech Republic)
Mitochondrion (Canada)
Mystifier (Brazil)
Negative Approach
Nocturnal Graves (Australia)
Phobocosm (Canada)
Putrid Pile
Samael (Switzerland) - "Ceremony of Opposites" set
Sanitys Dawn (Germany)
Saturnalia Temple (Sweden)
Severe Torture (Netherlands)
Sinister (Netherlands)
Svartidauði (Iceland)
Svarttjern (Norway)
Thulcandra (Germany)
Tulus (Norway)
Venom (UK)
Visceral Disgorge
Wormed (Spain)
Yacøpsæ (Germany)

gonna really try to not miss out on that next early bird sale

Varg fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 2, 2015

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Varg posted:

updated list of confirmed MDF bands:

Yacøpsæ (Germany)

:peanut:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
so glad i got in on that early bird special.

get to see my hometown natives negative approach live, although john brannon is a junkie that looks like a... junkie.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
if you want somewhat enjoyable power metal in spanish, listen to red wine.

HelmutVonSchmeller
Nov 23, 2007
Oooh, it's a jellyfish!
New Adversarial album coming out in August. If it's anywhere near as good as their half of the split with Antediluvian, it's going to crush. Dark Descent released a preview track, and drat does it sound promising to me: https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/track/adversarial-eonik-spiritual-warfare

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lemmy looking a little too skinny IMO. :(

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
^^^ :stonk:

Turns out 1/4 of Slayer doesn't give a poo poo about Ghost either:
http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2015-07-03/kerry-king-loves-ghost-s-image-but-hates-their-sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Lemmy looking a little too skinny IMO. :(

Oh.

Oh Jesus.

:ohdear: