Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so far that's the only worthwhile thing I can find about the new Apple streaming service

but sure I will check that out, instrumental Fragile sounds awesome - I hope it's the whole album though and not just a few outtakes

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
:aaaaa:

this whole Apple Music deal is going live today right?

:f5:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Update just dropped

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
That sounds cool as hell, but I'm not signing up for a new streaming service just because of one album, dammit.

Side Note: Isn't "too much instrumental stuff" people's main complaint about The Fragile?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's not like I'm feeling disappointed by the NIN shows I've seen, not at all. They're still some of my favorite live shows I've ever been to. But after watching this, man, I really would have liked to have been in attendance for the Fragility tour. It looks like a loving amazing thing to have witnessed.

It was pretty alright but I liked Lights in the Sky tour better. Downward Spiral with Bowie was pretty good too but I was on quite a bit of acid at the time and it was a huuuuuuge show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

That sounds cool as hell, but I'm not signing up for a new streaming service just because of one album, dammit.

Side Note: Isn't "too much instrumental stuff" people's main complaint about The Fragile?

This people are dumb.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

3 month trial. gently caress it, I liked beats better than spotify so I might stick with this.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Kaddish posted:

It was pretty alright but I liked Lights in the Sky tour better. Downward Spiral with Bowie was pretty good too but I was on quite a bit of acid at the time and it was a huuuuuuge show.

Yeah, LitS was my favorite tour by far.

Fragility was good, but it suffered (at least where I saw it) from being a gigantic arena show in a place with less than great sound, lovely seating, and on and on.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mogomra posted:

lame people maybe

the instrumentals on The Fragile are some of the best tunes on the album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I just read about this poo poo on Twitter. That's crazy :stare: I gotta check these out.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I wonder how much Just Like You Imagined made in royalties

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
These new unreleased instrumentals are cool man.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat. Well-played, Reznor.

I don't think the Android version comes out for a few more months, but I guess I should check it out on my computer or whatever. Hope it's available in a more permanent format someday.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I got a copy of the notice before he posted it. There's a part he edited out, let me find it...

Here it is:

"I figured, since The Fragile's commemorative edition with all this poo poo was never ever going to be finished, I may as well get some use out of this."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was originally going to say 'Ten Miles High' didn't make it for some reason, but I think 'Hello...' is a version of that track. The March is the music from 'Skin of a Drum' off Niggy Tardust.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 1, 2015

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Platypus Farm posted:

I got a copy of the notice before he posted it. There's a part he edited out, let me find it...

Here it is:

"I figured, since The Fragile's commemorative edition with all this poo poo was never ever going to be finished, I may as well get some use out of this."

The title Hesitation Marks isn't about attempting suicide, its about all his projects and products that never see the light of day. :(

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I was going to wait until Apple Music had Sonos support, but I guess I'll get it now for these goodies. I hope Trent puts random crap on there on a regular basis. I don't believe for a second that he's run out of poo poo buried in his vault. I want Sex Dwarf!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the alternate lyrics were "Every release is exactly the same"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Um, guys. It's 2015. You don't actually have to use Apple Radio like a bunch of rubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4SgNGFQXs

I wish this would have came out back when I cared about NIN or The Fragile but hearing Ripe (With Decay) with a drum track is pretty cool. Song makes a lot more sense with it. And that 10 Miles High alt version...god drat.

(But that weird glitch poo poo near the beginning of La Mer is :()

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope he's not just dumping this stuff on Apple Music because the deluxe version isn't coming out.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Um, guys. It's 2015. You don't actually have to use Apple Radio like a bunch of rubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4SgNGFQXs

I wish this would have came out back when I cared about NIN or The Fragile but hearing Ripe (With Decay) with a drum track is pretty cool. Song makes a lot more sense with it. And that 10 Miles High alt version...god drat.

(But that weird glitch poo poo near the beginning of La Mer is :()

Thanks, this is great.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope he's not just dumping this stuff on Apple Music because the deluxe version isn't coming out.

Don't say that. :negative:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Does anyone have any more info about The March? I like it, but this is the first time I've heard it anywhere, and my googling turns up nothing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mogomra posted:

Does anyone have any more info about The March? I like it, but this is the first time I've heard it anywhere, and my googling turns up nothing.
Seems it was one of the Fragile leftovers that got worked into Trent's collaboration with Saul Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Ky6CvWvmA

Everyone should definitely check out Niggy Tardust if they haven't. Even if it's not really your thing, it's got Fragile-era production all over it!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 2, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Really enjoying this as an instrumental. It's really interesting to hear how much more like The Downward Spiral this sounds in places; lots of that super fuzzy distortion he loved so much on TDS and Ghosts. I'm assuming this is before that producer finished gluing the album together, I've always wanted to just hear the miles of raw tape that Reznor recorded for The Fragile.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Minidust posted:

Seems it was one of the Fragile leftovers that got worked into Trent's collaboration with Saul Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Ky6CvWvmA

Everyone should definitely check out Niggy Tardust if they haven't. Even if it's not really you're thing, it's got Fragile-era production all over it!

That's incredibly cool. Thanks! Niggy Tardust has been on my list of things to listen to forever, but I never got around to it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So everyone else heard the "Quiet Mix" when they played the instrumental version of "The Day The World Went Away", right? Or did I just get a weird iTunes server glitch.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
These aren't just tracks without vocals. Lots of the music is different. The end of somewhat damaged is weird as gently caress.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mogomra posted:

That's incredibly cool. Thanks! Niggy Tardust has been on my list of things to listen to forever, but I never got around to it.

Niggy Tardust is great. The opening track has some of my favourite bits of Saul Williams' poetry (From 'The Dead Emcee Scrolls') as the lyrics and it seriously rocks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mariqueen is now using Connect on Apple Music as well, under the How To Destroy Angels page. She posted a live video earlier today.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Okay so I've installed iTunes and signed up to Apple music... how do I actually play this instrumental album? There doesn't seem to be any way of just choosing it as a playlist. I can play an individual song and then I can choose to either play something else by the artists (at random) or view it in the iTunes store, which just gives an error page and then redirects me to The Downward Spiral.

Plus it took me about half an hour to sign up for this thing because the download link on the iTunes website is for an old version, then when you try to start Apple music it says you have to get the latest version. Downloaded that and it wouldn't let me use Apple music because too many computers have been authorised for my account. Then it kept on saying there was an error processing my card, but it accepted it after multiple attempts. Figured out to press CTRL+B to get to the super secret hidden menu to deauthorise all of the others and authorise this one. Finally got into Apple music, looked for NIN and there's no mention of the instrumental album, but I found the single for Somewhat Damaged. Now I can't figure out how to get it to play the whole drat thing. And I can't find anywhere to cancel my subscription because holy gently caress iTunes is the worst media app I've ever used, it's even more terrible than it was last time I used it about five years ago.

edit: ohh, I have to click 'connect' on the NIN page, wait 10 seconds for the page to change (no loading indicator of any kind) then scroll down a bunch of messages and there's a link to choose a playlist.

more edit: Apple music asks me to choose my favourite genres and decades, I choose 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s blues, jazz, rock and alternative and it comes up with a page asking to pick my favourite artists out of Whitney Houston, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Limp Bizkit. Great stuff.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 2, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
works for me sorry you cant figure out technology

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Don't be a dick, it really isn't very intuitive compared to Spotify. And in what universe do those suggested artists make any sense?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Minidust posted:

So everyone else heard the "Quiet Mix" when they played the instrumental version of "The Day The World Went Away", right? Or did I just get a weird iTunes server glitch.

Certainly similar, but Quiet Mix actually had the lyrics.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I got the quiet mix with no lyrics (except the na-na-na at the start) so I assume that's intentional

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
I'm mostly skipping through the instrumental tracks, they just lack something without the lyrics, with the exception of Starfuckers... I think it actually works really well as an instrumental.

I wish he had done more with Can I Stay Here.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

And here I didn't think I could like Somewhat Damaged even more...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

fallenturtle posted:

I'm mostly skipping through the instrumental tracks, they just lack something without the lyrics, with the exception of Starfuckers... I think it actually works really well as an instrumental.

I wish he had done more with Can I Stay Here.

the album is perfect as an instrumental and I won't get my VODs muted when I stream on twitch now. :dance:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
This basically is the CDR we saw a picture of well over a decade ago. These are mainly demos with new stuff thrown in. Definitely not just The Fragile karaoke edition. I love it. 10 Miles High is way different and excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It's amazing how many subtleties of the music you miss when the vocals are mixed in. I love that this is a thing.

Was +appendage ever officially released anywhere previously beyond the original cassette?