Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

So it seems the next version will be the final one for a while (it's also coming to Steam). Tynan is taking a break.

It'll be cool to see what kinds of mods pop up once that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It kinda sounded like he wanted to stop working on Rimworld in his last video, yeah.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Knew that would happen eventually, just didn't think he'd give it up so soon

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Inacio posted:

So it seems the next version will be the final one for a while (it's also coming to Steam).

Finally! The Steam workshop should also bring some more excellent stuff

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Opal posted:

Knew that would happen eventually, just didn't think he'd give it up so soon

It's been two years.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

He ain't no Dwarf Fortress scrubs. He's made his money. Time to retire.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
He got further than that scrublord that made banished.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

bonds0097 posted:

It's been two years.

And all he got to was alpha 12.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The game is pretty much done though. Nothing is obviously missing, there aren't any big bugs or crashes, and everything he has added in the last few patches has been extra content, but not integral. I wouldn't be upset if he called Rimworld finished and moved on to his next project, especially if it ends up being this good.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Alright.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Splode posted:

The game is pretty much done though. Nothing is obviously missing, there aren't any big bugs or crashes, and everything he has added in the last few patches has been extra content, but not integral. I wouldn't be upset if he called Rimworld finished and moved on to his next project, especially if it ends up being this good.

I haven't played the latest alpha, but he hasn't really fleshed out the factions that much more since A10, has he? That was one of the main things that stood out to me as underdeveloped in the game. For example, when I first started playing in A7 and I had visitors arrive at my colony for the first time with whom I couldn't interact, I always assumed it was a placeholder for something more advanced. My personal hope was that he would add some CYOA type events like, for example, people from a nearby town sending a group to ask you for food, kind of like in King of Dragon Pass. And if you help them obviously you could gain a relations boost, but there are also other possibilities that could be explored like them sharing a unique tech you couldn't get otherwise, or sending you a colonist, or giving you intel on where the best places to mine are, and so on. Perhaps you could even ask them for help in building the spaceship, making it a more meaningful end-game effort that requires friendly tribes to band together and commit resources while enemy tribes seek to sabotage it or claim it for their own. I always felt there were loads of possible options to be explored there.

It would be pretty disappointing if he has no further plans for expanding the faction system beyond what's already there.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

I haven't played the latest alpha, but he hasn't really fleshed out the factions that much more since A10, has he? That was one of the main things that stood out to me as underdeveloped in the game. For example, when I first started playing in A7 and I had visitors arrive at my colony for the first time with whom I couldn't interact, I always assumed it was a placeholder for something more advanced. My personal hope was that he would add some CYOA type events like, for example, people from a nearby town sending a group to ask you for food, kind of like in King of Dragon Pass. And if you help them obviously you could gain a relations boost, but there are also other possibilities that could be explored like them sharing a unique tech you couldn't get otherwise, or sending you a colonist, or giving you intel on where the best places to mine are, and so on. Perhaps you could even ask them for help in building the spaceship, making it a more meaningful end-game effort that requires friendly tribes to band together and commit resources while enemy tribes seek to sabotage it or claim it for their own. I always felt there were loads of possible options to be explored there.

It would be pretty disappointing if he has no further plans for expanding the faction system beyond what's already there.

That's a good point, I didn't consider how barebones this system is.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I get the feeling like he's not going to just stop development but do develop more casually. Modders seem to be adding a lot of new content now but it's things like, yeah, the visitor system, raids and the lack of a late game feeling that currently stand out.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh for god's sake you speculating nerds. Here is Tynan's dev blog about what he is doing, why, and want he hopes for the future.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/on-the-upcoming-steam-release/

e: Tynan also replies in a few of the comments with further info as well.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 2, 2015

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Tommofork posted:

Oh for god's sake you speculating nerds. Here is Tynan's dev blog about what he is doing, why, and want he hopes for the future.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/on-the-upcoming-steam-release/

e: Tynan also replies in a few of the comments with further info as well.

Ah, so release then six months off after which he'll decide if he wants to come back to it. I guess he has a lot of faith in it's staying power, but I can't say I'm not disappointed with the lack of commitment after he gets back. I suppose what we have so far was a good run, it just still feels a bit far off from being a real full-1.0 title. It doesn't sound too optimistic.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I've got to say that, considering the trajectory of the game so far, this will be a pretty weak 1.0 release. It's a great game but almost all the content is front loaded and, once you've got a functioning colony up and running, there isn't a whole lot of meat there for the mid to late game. The UI is functional at best, there is almost no real interaction with the factions, the research and crafting is extremely bare-bones and the end state is nothing more than a placeholder.

Also, Tynan seemed like a strong willed type of guy who had a clear vision and wasn't swayed by the various mods pulling things in different directions but, reading through his reactions to comments posted about this release, he seems to flip flop back and forth like a teenager. I'm pretty disappointed. If he needs a break then he should hire someone else to carry on with this using some of the million plus he's made so far in my opinion. Just because he's 'indie' doesn't mean he has to burn out doing it all on his own.

I've got my money's worth out of the game so whatever but I think it could be so much better and fuller than it is and it seems a waste of a great engine not to put more flesh on the current skeleton without relying on modders. (I know he says he "probably" will add more in the future but he sounds pretty set on dumping it for now)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Releasing this game to Early Access and then taking a 6 month break is a really, really bad idea. It will not go down well.

Edit: Oh he's noticed that and will be releasing it done like Banished. Fair deals.

I think the guy just needs a break. 2 years constant work has got to wear.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fans posted:

Releasing this game to Early Access and then taking a 6 month break is a really, really bad idea. It will not go down well.

Edit: Oh he's noticed that and will be releasing it done like Banished. Fair deals.

I think the guy just needs a break. 2 years constant work has got to wear.

No don't you see? If he doesn't devote the rest of his life to it a la Dwarf Fortress it will be THE END OF THE WORLD.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tommofork posted:

Oh for god's sake you speculating nerds.

in my defense i said taking a break

Opal
May 10, 2005

Splode posted:

No don't you see? If he doesn't devote the rest of his life to it a la Dwarf Fortress it will be THE END OF THE WORLD.

Don't be such a goon.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I completely understand his reasoning, though I wonder if his plan would be a weird sell to people who haven't heard of/played the game before.

"New EA game on Steam! The creator is coming back in six months! We think."

I really like RimWorld, it's definitely one of the better projects I've backed on Kickstarter. (One worry I have in moving to Steam is that I will now have a running tally of how long I've spent building colonies that get destroyed...) I hope he's booked a good vacation for his time off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope he comes back to it later, but if he's getting a little tired of working on it constantly it's probably wiser to take a break. If it's as defined in the kickstarter goals then he's done what he needs to so I can't grumble about it.

It's certainly the kind of game I'd like to see more content expansions for because it's the kind of game that gets more fun the more crap is in it, but it's pretty fun as is so I'm not going to complain.

I'll update the OP with the new info.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sylvester's book on game design is really great. Designing Games: A Guide to Engineering Experiences. I wonder if he'll do a sequel at some point with what he learned from RimWorld...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Opal posted:

Don't be such a goon.

:thejoke:

At least he's pretty good about supporting mods, unlike Toady.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A game is a large thing, particularly now where you have people so invested in computer games (at the cost of all else..) that they become an integral part of their lives.

A single guy, or small business of a few guys will never be able to produce like a team of professionals.

You can pull out outliers and say oh but what about this sperglord that made a good game.. but you're being a fool.

Apply this to open source, Linux and a million other examples. Go and look at ARK and see what a real team of developers can get done in an amazing timeframe.

An important point in technology is regardless of how brilliant you are, large projects cannot be properly handled by individuals. There is simply too much to do and too many decisions to make.

So, it doesn't actually matter so much that you're a coding god. Your prowess with the technology is secondary to your ability to work in teams, if you want to do truly epic things. That's a lesson for life, right there.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Tony Montana posted:

A game is a large thing, particularly now where you have people so invested in computer games (at the cost of all else..) that they become an integral part of their lives.

A single guy, or small business of a few guys will never be able to produce like a team of professionals.

You can pull out outliers and say oh but what about this sperglord that made a good game.. but you're being a fool.

Apply this to open source, Linux and a million other examples. Go and look at ARK and see what a real team of developers can get done in an amazing timeframe.

An important point in technology is regardless of how brilliant you are, large projects cannot be properly handled by individuals. There is simply too much to do and too many decisions to make.

So, it doesn't actually matter so much that you're a coding god. Your prowess with the technology is secondary to your ability to work in teams, if you want to do truly epic things. That's a lesson for life, right there.

Thanks for the lesson for life.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

Deep man

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No prob. So being a snarky bitch doesn't actually get you anywhere.

Good luck with that.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

No prob. So being a snarky bitch doesn't actually get you anywhere.

Good luck with that.

What was the point your big weed fart of a post was trying to make about Rimworld?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

He just wanted to fellatiate the ARK dev team. Not the first thread he's done it in either.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, I'll try one more time.

Single man teams, even a few people are pretty much always going to come up short. There is just too much to do.

It's no surprise Tynan feels like this.. he's a particularly good example too.

The ARK dev team are currently showing everyone else how it's done. If you don't see this, then I don't know what you see.

So thanks to Tynan for his cool game. I've enjoyed it, I've played through a few times but I've got no real desire to go back because there really isn't enough depth to keep replaying through it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the lesson I am learning is one should not press return quite as often as that

I am shaken to the core of my beliefs

I did not know my beliefs had a core

it's a bit mooshy

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also thanks for the sales pitch for ARK which I am sure is a very high quality game!!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
It's almost as if several people, putting out the same amount of man-days of effort, will produce more than a single person.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Heh yeah ok I do sound like a bit of a preachy dick

I guess I just meant for a one man team he did great. If he was part of something bigger then it would be even greater. Hope he finds a place in the right team so he can produce something really great and complete next time.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm not worried at all. For one thing, having a stable build that won't be updated for say, 6 months, allows the modders to really go hogwild. They'll have the time to really create cool things with the knowledge they won't have to spend time keeping up with the regular updates. This will also allow modders to work together, build on eachother's stuff, etc more.

One of the biggest complaints I've seen is the limited interaction with other factions, and we already had mods addressing that not just by creating more unique factions, but also with interactions, such as traders coming by and setting up a tent near your base. This will only be expanded on, I think. The base game is limited, yeah, but the modding potential is huge and we've already seen there's a lot of talented people creating extra content. They won't stop just because Tynan is taking a break.

Even if he never returns to it and leaves it as is, I've had more hours of entertainment from Rimworld than I've gotten from most other games, and I think I'll get a lot more out of it before I'm burned out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Taeke posted:

I'm not worried at all. For one thing, having a stable build that won't be updated for say, 6 months, allows the modders to really go hogwild. They'll have the time to really create cool things with the knowledge they won't have to spend time keeping up with the regular updates. This will also allow modders to work together, build on eachother's stuff, etc more.

One of the biggest complaints I've seen is the limited interaction with other factions, and we already had mods addressing that not just by creating more unique factions, but also with interactions, such as traders coming by and setting up a tent near your base. This will only be expanded on, I think. The base game is limited, yeah, but the modding potential is huge and we've already seen there's a lot of talented people creating extra content. They won't stop just because Tynan is taking a break.

Even if he never returns to it and leaves it as is, I've had more hours of entertainment from Rimworld than I've gotten from most other games, and I think I'll get a lot more out of it before I'm burned out.

It would be pretty neat if he open sourced the code with a license that allows redistribution without assets (so someone could mod the game but in order to play you'd still need to own it and have all the textures, etcs).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The game is fun and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. :shrug:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'd really like a little more depth to it - I enjoyed playing it for a while but it really started to feel incredibly shallow after a while.

However, the guy definitely deserves a break, and I've already got my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Absolutely it's a fun game and I've certainly paid more to get less with a lot of other games, just kind of bummed that it's going to feature freeze in the next release and then not change for at least six months and possibly never. But at least there are some good modders out there and the game supports modding a lot better than DF does.