Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ralp posted:

I don't think the Mirror Universe makes sense as just a divergent timeline. It seems like a defining property is that all the same people are born there and somehow end up in the same general places and associate with the same people, just all with dispositions and through circumstances that are completely different from the uh non-mirror universe. So maybe this parallel applies to transporter accidents too, in which case: Mirror Thomas Riker... and hell, Mirror Tuvix

The same accident probably happened but with someone else.

Double Geordi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IS THERE A MIRROR SELA YAR :aaaaa:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

Tbh the teleworkers is like the most bad rear end weapon ever and they never kill anyone with it.

In Voyager some Kazon transport a couple dudes into space with with a stolen teleporter.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

How do transporters work on the surface then? Do spaceships have an atomizing ray that can target anywhere on a planet? Why don't they use this to obliterate enemies?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lil Peeler posted:

How do transporters work on the surface then? Do spaceships have an atomizing ray that can target anywhere on a planet? Why don't they use this to obliterate enemies?

Yeah this is the bit they don't really explain.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mirror universe Bashir is the anomaly.
If he was a brain dead retard at the age of 10, how did he get to be the evil gently caress in the Mirror Universe?

Maybe human pirates/slaves can afford gene splicing in that universe.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralp posted:

ok I'm just going to straight up write some fanfiction now, fair warning.

Mirror Tasha Yar served as belly shirt yeoman slave aboard the flagship battlecruiser of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe, and when they visited Vagra II to enslave the race of titans there she was killed in valiant battle against their guardian being, the Skin of Good. Some time later, evil mirror Guinan (madam of the 10-forward brothel) conspired with her good friend mirror Q to change the timeline so that the mirror Klingons and mirror Cardassians never formed a mirror alliance, by pulling the Terran Empire flagship from an alternate past into the future. In this timeline, mirror Tasha is still alive, and escapes with some fellow slaves by sneaking onto the Terran flagship, commandeering it, and going back in time. Her Romulan first officer was also a slave, and they have a kid who grows up to be mirror Sela, an underground political activist on Romulus who works for the unification of mirror Romulans and mirror Vulcans.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

happyhippy posted:

Mirror universe Bashir is the anomaly.
If he was a brain dead retard at the age of 10, how did he get to be the evil gently caress in the Mirror Universe?

Maybe human pirates/slaves can afford gene splicing in that universe.

Maybe the federation (or whatever they call themselves in the mirror universe) are less prudish about genetic engineering than the main universe's federation. Hell, they could use that as an excuse for why they're by and large much bigger assholes than in the regular universe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ralp posted:

ok I'm just going to straight up write some fanfiction now, fair warning.

Mirror Tasha Yar served as belly shirt yeoman slave aboard the flagship battlecruiser of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe, and when they visited Vagra II to enslave the race of titans there she was killed in valiant battle against their guardian being, the Skin of Good. Some time later, evil mirror Guinan (madam of the 10-forward brothel) conspired with her good friend mirror Q to change the timeline so that the mirror Klingons and mirror Cardassians never formed a mirror alliance, by pulling the Terran Empire flagship from an alternate past into the future. In this timeline, mirror Tasha is still alive, and escapes with some fellow slaves by sneaking onto the Terran flagship, commandeering it, and going back in time. Her Romulan first officer was also a slave, and they have a kid who grows up to be mirror Sela, an underground political activist on Romulus who works for the unification of mirror Romulans and mirror Vulcans.

I'm forwarding this to J.J. Abrams.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just watched this "Banned Clip" during a normal watching of Season 3, it's not removed from the episode or anything. I do enjoy that Gene Rodenberry is just straight up "Hmm yes I think terrorism is fine, let's discuss this in my techno-utopian vision and then maybe lay down some sick burns on arabs"

Or at least that's the case for the Bluray

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mirror Universe Sela was in a Tuvix accident with Mirror Universe Thomas Riker, creating Seamas Riyar. Seamas was later killed by nanoprobes to become the biological template for the Mirror Universe version of that 29th century Borg guy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
There should have been a mirror universe/normal universe Q fight.
You could have our Q appear to Picard or whoever, say they are the worst versions of Q they ever met in the multiverse.
And they turn out to be basic Federation in all beliefs.
And Picard loves them.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How come we never see mirror Barclay

He probably has some real hosed up holodeck programs

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

bros i think only brain cells can last an entire lifetime so your body is basically replicating itself anyway except for the brain. maybe i made that up but like really like think about it man *bong rip*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ein cooler Typ posted:

How come we never see mirror Barclay

He probably has some real hosed up holodeck programs

Canonical Mirror Barclay should be exactly the same as that Voyager episode where he's a smooth talking sexy secret agent or whatever.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

Mirror Universe Sela was in a Tuvix accident with Mirror Universe Thomas Riker, creating Seamas Riyar. Seamas was later killed by nanoprobes to become the biological template for the Mirror Universe version of that 29th century Borg guy.

the nanoprobes were the nanites that Wesley Crusher let loose on the ship that one time, but suave mirror Wesley intentionally created them for that evil purpose and also he calls himself Stefan Urquelle and is played by Jaleel White.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ralp posted:

the nanoprobes were the nanites that Wesley Crusher let loose on the ship that one time, but suave mirror Wesley intentionally created them for that evil purpose and also he calls himself Stefan Urquelle and is played by Jaleel White.

Thanks to a later accident with the pah wraith Orb of Time, they end up assimilating the Diplo-Matic (Mirror Universe Doomsday Machine) creating Evil V'ger.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Mirror Barclay would be their version of the Borg.
Everyone on his planet/moon/ship hooked up into his virtual rape machine 24/7.
And doing ship things earns them minutes of respite

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Picard walks onto the bridge only to find a bunch of Ferengi

And then he yells "What are all of these JEWS doing on my ship?" Cue laugh track

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Were there ever any characters with identifiably Jewish names, or was there a second, more effective Holocaust at some point?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

happyhippy posted:

There should have been a mirror universe/normal universe Q fight.

Mirror universe Q must be named U.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love Mirror Universes, it's such a gloriously stupid idea. "The last 300 years of history is completely different but everyone's parents are the same so there's equivalent people in both timelines."

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Entropic posted:

I love Mirror Universes, it's such a gloriously stupid idea. "The last 300 years of history is completely different but everyone's parents are the same so there's equivalent people in both timelines."

Obviously an alt-history holodeck programmer had to dump his newest project into subspace because of some sort of temporal-spatial anomaly, which then propagated backwards through time to a point before the holodeck was invented.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Obviously an alt-history holodeck programmer had to dump his newest project into subspace because of some sort of temporal-spatial anomaly, which then propagated backwards through time to a point before the holodeck was invented.

actually that's what happened in the mirror universe, to create our universe.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ralp posted:

actually that's what happened in the mirror universe, to create our universe.

Since it's Star Trek, it's actually either, depending on which suits the story better.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Kitchner posted:

No they admit that's what it does. It literally disintegrates you, stores you as data, transfer the data, and then remakes you on the other side.

In Enterprise they talk about this a lot because it's a big fear.

Now if I kill you and then create an exact duplicate of you on the other side of the world with all the memories of you apart from your death and tell your clone I teleported you, would he disagree? No, because he distinctly remembers being in one place and now he's in another

You're misremembering. In Enterprise the old codger that comes on the ship to run his experiments literally laughs over the idea that the transported you isn't the real you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Mirror universe Q must be named U.

You joke, but in one of the novels (I, Q, which is told from Q's perspective), the Q have a rival called the M. Come to think of it, there are a lot of silly things like that in that book, but it still somehow manages to be a pretty decent read. And like every other Star Trek novel, all the backstory and things that it established about the Q got completely contradicted by later episodes.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It makes sense, the collective of continuums would then go by QUIM.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

You joke, but in one of the novels (I, Q, which is told from Q's perspective), the Q have a rival called the M. Come to think of it, there are a lot of silly things like that in that book, but it still somehow manages to be a pretty decent read. And like every other Star Trek novel, all the backstory and things that it established about the Q got completely contradicted by later episodes.

The show writers could barely be bothered to be constrained by what they or their fellow staff writers had previously written, there's no chance in hell they were ever going to defer in the slightest to what amounted to licensed fanfiction.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

General Bullshit > Star Trek: what amounts to licensed fanfiction

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what amounted to licensed fanfiction.

I am totally stealing that turn of phrase.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Were there ever any characters with identifiably Jewish names, or was there a second, more effective Holocaust at some point?

I don't know about jews, but there was the whole eugenics wars business that was supposed to have killed lots of people. Maybe all the jews died then?

Nope, checking trek sperg wiki only 30-37 million people were supposed to have died in the eugenics wars. That seems really low.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Dr. Zimmerman was one if you accept a Wikipedia ruling on the name's Jewishness.

Memory Alpha makes the case that Worf's adoptive parents, The Rozhenkos, were Jewish.

That is some pretty crappy representation if you ask me. I'm not one for tokenism but Admiral Nussbaum has a nice ring to it should Michael Dorn's vanity project take off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

I don't know about jews, but there was the whole eugenics wars business that was supposed to have killed lots of people. Maybe all the jews died then?

Nope, checking trek sperg wiki only 30-37 million people were supposed to have died in the eugenics wars. That seems really low.

According to Gene Rodenberry in the years after First Contact the jews all revealed that they're actually aliens, and they pulled off their masks and revealed that they were Ferengi all along. And then they left the planet. That's when mankind really started banding together

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

there are an infinite number of mirror universes so eventually in some universe that will happen

the historical records just show that universe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Lil Peeler posted:

Dude it took me a few reads to understand what you were referencing but then I was just like :drat: and then :pusheen:

It is the hidden subconscious desire of sci-if nerds.

Ralp posted:

Yes, and she's nice and well adjusted. Collects space-stamps.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Q makes it pretty clear that he's multiversal. He can just go to whatever reality he wants

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Angela Christine posted:

Last night I watched the Bynar episode and Crusher is randomly sperging out about some dude called Eppenstein, so there's probably at least one jew left in the galaxy. Also it was quite weird to see McFadden try to register something other than serenity or mild concern.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

QuarkJets posted:

I just watched this "Banned Clip" during a normal watching of Season 3, it's not removed from the episode or anything. I do enjoy that Gene Rodenberry is just straight up "Hmm yes I think terrorism is fine, let's discuss this in my techno-utopian vision and then maybe lay down some sick burns on arabs"

Or at least that's the case for the Bluray

For context the show was aired prior to the 1997 Good Friday Agreement.

In the UK we sort of went a bit overboard when censoring terrorist poo poo, people always forget we were literally fighting a highly organised terrorist organisation on our doorstep and they nearly blew up the entire UK government under 40 years ago.

There was one point where a guy associated with the IRA was literally dubbed over by an English guy saying the exact same thing but out of sync so you couldn't hear an irish voice supporting the terrorist goals. This was also a time where if you said "terrorist" to someone in the UK they would think of an irish guy with a balaclava on, not a beardy dude with a turban.

That WAS banned by the BBC and Sky in the UK because it mentioned "the Irish Reunification in 2024" which, as the IRA were still active at that point, implied the UK government was going to lose that struggle. In the end of course the Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1997 meaning that the IRA only have another 9 years to undo the last 18 years of peace and reunify Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

According to Gene Rodenberry in the years after First Contact the jews all revealed that they're actually aliens, and they pulled off their masks and revealed that they were Ferengi all along. And then they left the planet. That's when mankind really started banding together

There is new age quackery that believe Jews came from space.
Not trolling, they believe Jews and martians from Mars fought and formed Atlantis or some poo poo.

google Spirit Science and you will find the motherlode of new age retardness.

• Locked thread