Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Or be lazy like me and neglect to choose which club used off the tee resulting in amazing driver accuracy % when in actual fact the driver was used on 1 or 2 holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fascinate
Jul 5, 2007

I'm trying to find the best golf bag for my buck and could use some advice. I'm trying to find a stand bag that is sub $100, has more that 4 club spacers, will last a while, and doesn't look terrible. I know I may be asking for a lot with the sub $100 and last a while requirement, but I wanted to see if there was strong opinion out there. I keep looking to the Ogio bags on Ebay, as they seem to meet my needs. Anyone have experience with this manufacturer, or have a better recommendation?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've plugged GolfPad before , and one of the reasons I do is because shot tracking is dead simple even without my nerdy addons like smartwatches and Golf Tags. If you have the app open and you're looking at a yardage with it, you press one button, and your shot position is tracked.

edit: I wish it had the nice postable scorecards that GolfShot does, though.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 2, 2015

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I am contemplating taking up golf as a hobby. I only have one issue. An injury to my right elbow means I cannot straighten my right arm. It sits about 140 degrees fully extended. Will being unable to fully extend my right arm as a right hander make the whole exercise pointless?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fascinate posted:

I'm trying to find the best golf bag for my buck and could use some advice. I'm trying to find a stand bag that is sub $100, has more that 4 club spacers, will last a while, and doesn't look terrible. I know I may be asking for a lot with the sub $100 and last a while requirement, but I wanted to see if there was strong opinion out there. I keep looking to the Ogio bags on Ebay, as they seem to meet my needs. Anyone have experience with this manufacturer, or have a better recommendation?

OGIO 2014 Shredder Stand Bag

$95 with shipping but you have to want a red/black bag
http://www.amazon.com/OGIO-Mens-Shredder-Stand-Bag/dp/B00J8J0U90

$114 shipped for the grey
http://www.amazon.com/OGIO-Mens-Shredder-Stand-Bag/dp/B00J8J0U90

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I like my Ogio bag and will probably stick with them if I get one that works better with my push cart.

Thought Tiger was gonna blow up today when he had that bad double bogey but instead he fires off three birdies in response to finish -4. Never know what'll happen tomorrow or this weekend though.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

MacDougall posted:

I am contemplating taking up golf as a hobby. I only have one issue. An injury to my right elbow means I cannot straighten my right arm. It sits about 140 degrees fully extended. Will being unable to fully extend my right arm as a right hander make the whole exercise pointless?

Both my arms extend to 150 degrees, and golf is fine, but that's symmetric. Your main problem here is that the right arm is 6% shorter, in distance from the shoulder to the hand, if the other straightens out to 180. Also, the right hand already has to reach below the left when swinging the club. It's important that you be able to swing the club with your left arm straight. I think you can make your golf swing less ridiculous than 80% of golfers'.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Three weeks in a row my lesson is canceled due to lightening! The whole world is against me breaking 100. (shot 102 on Sunday but I used a mulligan on each side so a 106 is probably my true score, my putting was on fire though, average putting would have resulted in a 110)

edit

uncanceled. It was basically a private lesson. Only 1 other person was there. Thanks weather!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 3, 2015

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

sarehu posted:

I think you can make your golf swing less ridiculous than 80% of golfers'.

Haha thanks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's an amateur at -8 at Greenbrier, and his name is Maverick. Awesome.

Also Greenbrier owns and if you ever have a chance to go, I really recommend you do.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Just finished playing at a local 9 hole links course overlooking the North Sea. First time on a full size course and it was absolutely fantastic. Great condition and the views were brilliant.

Shot a 56, could have been a bit better if I didn't hit two consecutive tee shots OB on the 8th.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

3 rounds in a row at 104. Consistency! I really need to get better at par 3s though because holy poo poo shooting 8 on them as often as I do is not helpful. Im in the middle of trying a new putting grip too so hopefully that starts shaving off strokes once I get used to it.

Im a little sad that golfshot app doesnt cover a single course I play though. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

3 rounds in a row at 104. Consistency! I really need to get better at par 3s though because holy poo poo shooting 8 on them as often as I do is not helpful. Im in the middle of trying a new putting grip too so hopefully that starts shaving off strokes once I get used to it.
As if the U.S. Open needed to remind us, drive for show, putt for dough.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

As if the U.S. Open needed to remind us, drive for show, putt for dough.

I put a superstroke grip on my putter last week, I'm putting like a cross between Michael J Fox and Stevie Wonder from outside 8 feet. Inside that is pretty good though.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

minstrels posted:

Just finished playing at a local 9 hole links course overlooking the North Sea. First time on a full size course and it was absolutely fantastic. Great condition and the views were brilliant.

Shot a 56, could have been a bit better if I didn't hit two consecutive tee shots OB on the 8th.

That looks like a superb, scenic course. I've never played golf in the UK but photos like yours sure make me want to make the trip. 56 isn't bad at all for your first time on a regulation course. Keep it up!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

pmac posted:

That looks like a superb, scenic course. I've never played golf in the UK but photos like yours sure make me want to make the trip. 56 isn't bad at all for your first time on a regulation course. Keep it up!

If you like scenic courses like that Id recommend a golf trip to the maritime provinces here in Canada. Some really beautiful coastal courses out there.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Here's another couple of shots from today.

Really lucky to have a bunch of great courses within an hour drive of me in Northumberland and of course there's plenty of fantastic courses to play when I'm back home in Scotland.

Got my first couple of individual lessons coming up soon so hopefully it won't be long before that 56 is a 50.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

On my way back out for another 18 with my dad. I can't even remember the last time I played two rounds in one day. Excited to hopefully break 100 with what I practiced this morning. :toot:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
At age 27, i had never picked up a golf club before and just started some group golf lessons about four weeks ago. I was given a hand me down set of irons/hybrids that are in good condition, but I don't have a driver. It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out brands, lofts, etc but I think I've decided what to go with. That said, I have no idea what to pick for shaft flex. I don't swing well enough right now to judge it based on random online things I have read (distance with specific irons or other ideas), but I'd at least like to practice with it. Do you all have any idea what a beginner should start with?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ended up shooting 78-80 in my club championship this weekend. I had great starts in both rounds, going 1 over and 2 over through nine holes. Unfortunately I still haven't been able to play a full 18 as well as I should but compared to a year ago I've made a ton of progress. Won some skins too which is always nice.

Paul Proteus posted:

At age 27, i had never picked up a golf club before and just started some group golf lessons about four weeks ago. I was given a hand me down set of irons/hybrids that are in good condition, but I don't have a driver. It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out brands, lofts, etc but I think I've decided what to go with. That said, I have no idea what to pick for shaft flex. I don't swing well enough right now to judge it based on random online things I have read (distance with specific irons or other ideas), but I'd at least like to practice with it. Do you all have any idea what a beginner should start with?

I started off with regular flex when I was getting my first real clubs a couple years ago, now I'm playing stiff and there honestly isn't a large enough difference to worry about as a beginner. I can pop my stock r-flex shaft into my driver and hit it almost identically to my stiff one, I just don't like the feel as much. I'd avoid extra stiff or women's/seniors flex stuff but regular or stiff will probably work just fine.

fascinate
Jul 5, 2007

Played at the local Pitch 'n Putt in Northern Kentucky. My best score so far, but It is a par 3 course. I feel like I could shave quite a few strokes with better command of the putter, obviously. Anyone have any drills that they use to help them with proper pace? I find that on the practice green I do fairly well, but out on the course those greens have much more geometry and that really shits up my short game.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
On the course, the geometry of the greens can be pretty treacherous, so to avoid anxiety over putts, (since 48 putts is like WHAT), come up with a routine and stick with it on every putt. I would suggest you:

1. Segment your routine. Don't just think, "Oh dear God, I have to putt now," and hope for the best. Focus on the execution of each part of your routine as best as you can, then simply accept the result. Different people have different routines, so try a few things on the practice green, and then settle on your own routine. Do it on every putt longer than 2 feet. For example, mark the ball, look at the break while crouched behind the ball, align your ball's alignment line to the highest point of the break, remove mark, address ball, no more than two practice strokes, then it's time to pull the trigger. Some would advocate walking around to look at your putt from different angles, but that's up to you. Don't hold up play or anything, though.

2. Once it's time to actually putt the ball, on the execution of your stroke, focus on rolling the ball over the starting line you've picked. Once the ball is gone, you can't help it anymore, so you need to be watching! If the ball doesn't go in, continue to watch which way the ball breaks so you can use that knowledge to make the next putt. For example, if you roll the ball past the hole, and you watch it turn left and pick up speed just a little bit, then your next putt will be back up the hill and breaking from left to right. As easy as it is to curse at the sky when your ball doesn't go in, your answers are on the ground.

Now, you are allowed to get upset, but you can't carry it with you. Give yourself from the time you retrieve the ball from the hole to the time you step off the putting surface to grumble, feel upset, be downtrodden, or express WHATEVER emotion you need. Once you're off the green, no more gripes. You're thinking about how to attack the next hole. It's tough to forget bad shots and scores (maybe the toughest thing), but try!

Now if you feel you can read the break but have trouble with speed, then I can't offer anything other than "practice, practice, practice." Most courses run their greens at consistent speeds, and hopefully the practice green is cut the same as the other greens on the course. When practicing, your goal should be stopping every putt inside a 3 foot diameter circle around the hole. Don't try to make long putts (of which you'll have many in the beginning); you need to focus on minimizing 3-putts.

There's also a ladder drill where you set tees down every few feet from the hole and try to stop the ball between certain sets of tees. Hitting your first putt with good speed eliminates those pesky 4-6 foot 2nd putts.

TL;DR - The Putting Bible by Dave Pelz

Kameh fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 6, 2015

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
I had a huge problem judging speed of my putts (still working on reading greens, though I chipped a ball in the hole from well below and off the green this weekend just by changing my stance slightly based on the grade) --- but here's a quick fix:

1. Walk off the distance from your ball to the hole. Each stride is ~3 feet.
2. Count each putter width back from the ball as "1" and the same in front of the ball as "1".
3. So if I have a ten foot putt, I'm swinging 5 widths back and 5 widths through the ball.

You'll muck around with this formula for a bit, based on your stroke, the speed of the green, whether you're on a hill, etc. Basically try to make anything inside of 10-15 feet, and anything longer, try to putt within a 3 foot radius of the hole.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Good tips on Putting!

I'll add that for alignment on the medium to long putts you should be looking at the last few feet around the hole. Where does the ball need to be in this last section so that it ends up close to or in the hole as it rolls out? Pick that spot and work your way back.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Rory is done for the open. Ruptured tendon in his ankle.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33407734

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

The grand slam is on! :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Oh man that's brutal :smith:

Also oh my god oh my god oh my god you guys

YOU GUYS!

THURSDAY! SCOTLAND. IT HAPPENS.

:f5:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im considering buying tickets to the Canadian Open as a gift for my dad. Problem is that so few players actually participate in it now Im worried it might not be worth it.

$60 to boo Bubba Watson in person seems like a great deal though. :v:

e: Oh yeah, second round yesterday was 105. Would have broke 100 but I had a 9 on the easiest par 4 on the course (2 drives off the tee into OB) and a 7 on the first par 3 because of some very poor putting decisions. Overall I am getting more consistent in my play which is I guess what you aim for to start with. I can work on adding yards to my shots after Im more comfortable. :toot:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 6, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Furnaceface posted:

Im considering buying tickets to the Canadian Open as a gift for my dad. Problem is that so few players actually participate in it now Im worried it might not be worth it.

e: Oh yeah, second round yesterday was 105. Would have broke 100 but I had a 9 on the easiest par 4 on the course (2 drives off the tee into OB) and a 7 on the first par 3 because of some very poor putting decisions. Overall I am getting more consistent in my play which is I guess what you aim for to start with. I can work on adding yards to my shots after Im more comfortable. :toot:

I'd say go! $60 is not much money at all when you consider that you can spend like 10 hours out there watching those guys play. Even the non-star tour players have ridiculous game, it's a blast watching those guys hit the ball.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Oh man that's brutal :smith:

Also oh my god oh my god oh my god you guys

YOU GUYS!

THURSDAY! SCOTLAND. IT HAPPENS.

:f5:
The Scottish Open starts Thursday. The Open is next week!

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Furnaceface posted:

Jason Day, Kuchar and Furyk will all be there. Hopefully Day isn't going to be fighting vertigo again, because it'd be worth it just to follow him for a round. Dude is playing really well lately. His US Open performance was stellar all things considered.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Scottish Open starts Thursday. The Open is next week!

We honest to god were really tempted to get Open (the British one, not the Scottish one) tickets until we looked at costs. We're also playing Castle Stewart at least once, where they've already hosted a couple Scottish Opens if memory serves. Hell of a course and I'm hype as hell to go back.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
what are St. Andrews tix costing? Gotta go by Lagavulin or Laphraoig too.

I've been to England but never Scotland/Ireland........need to get on that poo poo and go play Carnoustie and get my face caved in and then Castle Stuart and Turnberry. One guy from my Norcal golf group went to Carnoustie and had a blast even though it was really freaking difficult.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

what are St. Andrews tix costing? Gotta go by Lagavulin or Laphraoig too.

I've been to England but never Scotland/Ireland........need to get on that poo poo and go play Carnoustie and get my face caved in and then Castle Stuart and Turnberry. One guy from my Norcal golf group went to Carnoustie and had a blast even though it was really freaking difficult.

I honestly don't remember offhand but I know it would have cost us something well into the 4 digit range to get 4 adults down there from the Highlands and into the event.

I'm going to post such a trip report again, y'all don't even know :q:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dude I'm psyched just to read your trip report and see those pictures. I was lucky enough to go about 7 or 8 years ago, and I played some fantastic courses. Portmarnock and The K Club in Ireland, Prestwick, Carnoustie and St. Andrews (New Course, not the Old Course, but it was still awesome) in Scotland. I was under a 5 hdcp at that point, but my goal was to just break 90 on all of the courses we played. We played Carnoustie last, temps were in the low 50s, and it started raining on the back 9. I finished double-double-double to shoot 91. I can laugh my rear end off about it now, but MAN was I ticked then.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I know we're playing Royal Dornoch and Castle Stuart each at least once, and I'll probably get at least 3-4 rounds in at Carnegie Club.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Okay, scorecard dump for my last 3 rounds. Played at two of my favorite courses, including 36 holes(!) today.

This is a gem of a course in the hill country. Friend of mine drove 4.5 hours just to play it with me because I won't stop talking about it. We both got off to horrendous starts, but we settled down on the back nine. The bunkers were washed out after some heavy rains, so we didn't play out of them. I didn't have a good sense of speed on the greens, and 2 of my 4 birdies were two putt birdies on the par 5s. I hit driver - 9i from the left rough on 16, and I came drat close to making a 2. I had maybe 6 feet for eagle, and it lipped out. :suicide: The birdie on the last to finish even felt pretty good.

Now for today's rounds. Groupon was running a special for this course - round with a cart, lunch, and a replay round with cart all for ~$50. The whole course was nearly perfect. The putting surfaces were immaculate. I haven't played on greens this nice in YEARS.

Left my eagle putt on 2 right in the jaws. It stung because I striped a driver - 3 wood over some water to get pin high with 30 feet for eagle, and the two older guys who were letting me play through started cheering because they were sure I had made it. It just stopped on the lip. "Never leave an eagle putt short" indeed.

Had some good sand saves, hit a gross iron shot on the first par 3 and had to re-tee. Hit a much better shot but lipped out the bogey putt. Finished in 2.5 hours, had lunch in the clubhouse, then I went out for my second round. I was kicking around the idea of driving back to my hometown early tomorrow morning to play in a dogfight which is held on a short (<6,000 yards) course, so I scooted up to the middle tees for my second round...and then this happened.

Every fairway, every green. :vince:

I nearly lost it on 15, though. I almost clipped a tree on my drive, then I topped my 3 wood from the middle of the fairway, and I left myself a 5i in. Barely got that onto the green to keep my stats going. It would maybe be greedy to say I could have gone lower, but I missed a 12 footer on 5, lipped out a 15 footer on 8, blasted a 6 footer through the break on 9, missed a 9 footer on 12, and lipped out from 18 feet on 13. After the fiasco on 15, I played it safe coming in. Hit a 9i to the front on 16, two putted from 30 feet. Had 103 yds to a back pin on 17, but I didn't want to get cute and fire right at the pin, so I hit an easy wedge to the middle of the green.

Once I got to 18, I was pretty nervous. I thought I striped my tee shot, but the wind had picked up since my morning round, so I had the same club (a 5i) both times into this green. I knew I hit it well, but I was still worried it wasn't going to carry the front bunker. I couldn't even try to play it cool - I was screaming OMG OMG GOGOGOGOGOGOGO. It took a decent hop on the front and settled 5 feet from the pin. After that, I wasn't going to miss the birdie.

Edit - Corrected a mistake.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 6, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo what happened on #2 at Wilderness? A penalty stroke, GIR and birdie? :psyduck:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo what happened on #2 at Wilderness? A penalty stroke, GIR and birdie? :psyduck:

Hahaha, dang THAT would have been nuts. Don't know why that says that. I just hit driver and skeezed a 4i hybrid to short right of the green and got up and down for birdie. Guess I fat fingered it while eating chips. Fixed.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a phenomenal round dude, seriously. I don't care if that's even some simple rear end muni or something. A 66 is a loving 66, especially with all greens and all fairways.