Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I was wondering if that's what they are, but decided for some reason that they're just low level vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ADOM Ultra-Ending Attempts Episode 15

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jade Star posted:

This is ridiculously minor to bug me, but you keep calling vampire thralls as vampires. Vampire thralls are humans under the spell of vampires and are used and blood bags. Think servants and or walking bottles of bloodwiser for real vampires to snack on when they get thirsty.
Those are blood dolls, regular humans who offer themselves.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Look, thrall means slave, essentially. Could be lovely vampires bound to a master, could be bloodbags, could be ghouls like in Masquerade, could be some undead guy's waitstaff.

E: the elderly seamstress gives in to pain.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Look, thrall means slave, essentially. Could be lovely vampires bound to a master, could be bloodbags, could be ghouls like in Masquerade, could be some undead guy's waitstaff.

E: the elderly seamstress gives in to pain.

In modern parlance, with the explosion of vampire fiction in the last decades, we have more specialized terms that overlap and tend to supercede the generic "thrall", but it still sees use as a generic descripter for any variety of slave to a vampire under the vampire's (implied) control indefinitely.

:eng101: The quintessential vampire thrall is Renfield, from the movie adaption(s) of Bram Stoker's Dracula - Renfield is typically displayed as an agent of Dracula, dominated by his will and vampiric powers, but driven mad over time. In the book, Renfield was a madman first and under Dracula's influence second (the madness being a channel for Dracula to get at him, so to speak). More modern vampire fiction tends to mix in the vampire wannabees with vampire thralls and use the promise of potential immortality ("Serve me well, and I'll make you a vampire!") as the bait keeping regular humans around doing the vampire's dirty work, rather than (or combined with) the more mystical mental control/hypnosis type dealie.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Also it's a massive dick move that they decided to change the boss battles so scrap can appear there.

An update came out for Ironcast today that removes the scrap from boss encounters. Which is gonna be super helpful for matching stuff (not really :v: ).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Trades and Tutorials

Where in I accomplish some simple tasks and try to buy a bunch of axes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Even for Biskup, that is an impressively dickish thing to do.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's really no worse than the contemporary rogue-likes of that day. Smiting from gods in Nethack could result in a similar outcome if they were sufficiently angered:

quote:

The god zaps you with a fatal lightning bolt.[7]

If you are engulfed by a monster lacking shock-resistance, it dies. (Reflection will not save it)
If you are not engulfed, and you have neither shock resistance nor reflection, you die.

If you survive for any reason, "<god> is not deterred..." and the god zaps you with a wide-angle disintegration beam.

If you are still engulfed and the monster lacks disintegration resistance, the monster dies.
If you are not engulfed, and do not have disintegration resistance, you die.

Being hit by a wide-angle disintegration beam will also destroy your shield, cloak, body armor and shirt, even if you are disintegration-resistant. However, items that provide reflection or disintegration resistance will be unaffected, as will items worn under another item that grants it (such as a shirt worn under silver dragon scale mail). Reflection will not protect you from the disintegration beam, however.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

As much as losing my awesome gear sucks, I'm kind of glad it happened so I could show off what an utter dick ADOM can be when it wants to.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Sage Grimm posted:

Smiting from gods in Nethack could result in a similar outcome if they were sufficiently angered:

I like the mental image of Zeus getting pissed and tossing a lightning bolt at you, then when that doesn't work saying "Ohh no you don't" and picking up a particle cannon to finish the job.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Captain Bravo posted:

I like the mental image of Zeus getting pissed and tossing a lightning bolt at you, then when that doesn't work saying "Ohh no you don't" and picking up a particle cannon to finish the job.

Well clearly, Zeus would get in his Zeus battlemech and fry you with a PPC. :science:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Trades and Tutorials

Where in I accomplish some simple tasks and try to buy a bunch of axes.

I'd say trim that shopping list down for now. If you're willing to mess up the cloak a bit you can tear up some of it to make cords, which you can make a rough stone axe and a raft with. The stone axe can cut down full-grown trees, and you can make a raft with tree trunks and a few cords. The lighter punt weight isn't much of a bonus because you'll rarely ever be carrying around a boat - either you'll be stowing it away at a shelter or you'll be traveling by water, and once you've got a steady supply of cords rafts are pretty much disposable. The extra fishing net is nice but can be pretty expensive. I'd say see if you can grab the handaxe and maybe the net and carving axe for now - once you've got a carving axe you can craft a semi-decent shovel and possibly some goods with actual trading value.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Bravo posted:

Zeus drops Olympus on you if all else fails.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Olesh posted:

In modern parlance, with the explosion of vampire fiction in the last decades, we have more specialized terms that overlap and tend to supercede the generic "thrall", but it still sees use as a generic descripter for any variety of slave to a vampire under the vampire's (implied) control indefinitely.

:eng101: The quintessential vampire thrall is Renfield, from the movie adaption(s) of Bram Stoker's Dracula - Renfield is typically displayed as an agent of Dracula, dominated by his will and vampiric powers, but driven mad over time. In the book, Renfield was a madman first and under Dracula's influence second (the madness being a channel for Dracula to get at him, so to speak). More modern vampire fiction tends to mix in the vampire wannabees with vampire thralls and use the promise of potential immortality ("Serve me well, and I'll make you a vampire!") as the bait keeping regular humans around doing the vampire's dirty work, rather than (or combined with) the more mystical mental control/hypnosis type dealie.

In Dungeons and Dragons, a vampire thrall was someone killed by a vampire and then raised as one, who then had to obey the orders of the master vampire until the master was slain and the vampire thrall became free-willed. Dungeons and Dragons seems the far more likely cultural touchstone than modern vampire fiction consensus terminology. (Thralls are also explicitly less powerful, though similar in type, than free-willed or master vampires.) The quintessential model being the vampire brides of Dracula, I guess, but don't quote me on that. I don't remember them being much detailed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Captain Bravo posted:

The best part is the success message, because after that the God's got nuthin: "You bask in its black glow for a minute..." and the god says "I believe it not!"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or if you're about to ascend, they'll send a few minions after you. Getting off their arse and giving you a personal beating would likely end in *their* death rather than yours.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A Fortuitous Fox

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wafflecopper posted:

As much as losing my awesome gear sucks, I'm kind of glad it happened so I could show off what an utter dick ADOM can be when it wants to.

It could be worse - you could have ended up a fallen champion.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I flip the spear around and use the blunt end to crush its skull, killing it as mercifully and quickly as possible while trying to avoid damaging its hide.

Is that really how hunting works?

I vote travel east.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

The deal with fox furs is that you can occasionally find foreign traders wandering about, and they always have high-end weapons/armour to trade. However, the only currency they accept are fox and lynx furs. They are kinda valuable to the townspeople but not significantly so.

Also if you're heading east, now that you have a boat, it would probably be quicker to sail along the coastline, living off fish and building shelters along the beach. I can understand if the overland journey would be more interesting though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Myron posted:

Is that really how hunting works?

I vote travel east.

Don't want to tear up the valuable pelt more than necessary. Unless you mean a mercy blow, then yes, generally. Usually with a moment of sharing the animal's pain and thanking it for its sacrifice so you can live.

E: in real life, and as a general rule throughout major cultures.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 2, 2015

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I meant the smashing of the skull part. I thought it would be easier to break the neck or put a spear throught the brain, at least for a small animal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh. I'm not sure about that. All I know is that blunt damage is less likely to harm hides. Its probably good I missed that arrow shot and didn't land a solid spear thrust as it probably would've spoiled the hide. You can actually craft blunt tipped arrows for hunting small game if desired.

AKAIK, foxes are mostly hunted via trapping. There is even a specialized trap you can make just for them.

Inadequately posted:

The deal with fox furs is that you can occasionally find foreign traders wandering about, and they always have high-end weapons/armour to trade. However, the only currency they accept are fox and lynx furs. They are kinda valuable to the townspeople but not significantly so.

Also if you're heading east, now that you have a boat, it would probably be quicker to sail along the coastline, living off fish and building shelters along the beach. I can understand if the overland journey would be more interesting though.

Ah. I knew the foreign traders only deal in furs, but I didn't realize they were picky about what kind of furs.

As for travel, I hadn't considered going along the coast. My plan was to travel along the nearby river that runs from the northeast to the coast for as long as I can. That'll get me most of the way and then just travel overland until I hit the huge river linked lakes near Kaumo lands.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Part 05

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

For any ADoM players, today is apparently Biskup's birthday? Every mans I've made today has embarked on Creator's Day, which bestows Luck and Blessed, or whatever the two awesome intrinsics are.

I have also dicovered the easiest start ever. Make a wizard or elementalist (havent tried priest or the psychic guy, they might work, too), and if you have any of the bolt spells (ie line of damage) head to the bandit camp after picking up the sheriff's quest. Murder every thief, cutpurse, assassin, bandit, etc. that you see (not the beggars unless they attack you. Even then it's an alignment hit). You can kill everything there in one or two casts and rest between engagements, so it is almost completely safe. Flee and come back if you must. Get level four or five from that and then troll around for the raider wilderness encounter. Flee from any other encounters by using coward stance to get at least one square away from enemies and step off the map. During the raider encounter, kite them the same way and blast away when you have multiple targets in a line and repeat. [g]ive the raider lord corpse (and any other raider/bandit corpses too!) to the sheriff for 300+gp then [C]hat at him for another 3000gp for killing the bounty. Then head back down to the bandit camp and kill the crime lord, who also usually drops at least 1k+gp (not the master thief trainer, unless you want to become the new thief lord and have to pay higher prices everywhere but the black market, where yo get a sizable discount.) You've just completed the sheriff's second quest that he will only tell you about at level ten, but you can [C]hat at him anyway to complete it early and get the Law skill (mostly useless but free!) some money (I think?) and an Amulet of Order. Congrats! You are now level 6+, have tons of money and are likely a murdering god-lord with your bolt spell. Go and conquer!

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Pretty sure foreign traders accept all types of fur. It's just that fox is the most valuable, by a wide margin. They don't accept leather. IIRC there are also winter versions of fur that are worth more, at least for certain types of animals, I may be misremembering.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Foodahn posted:

Pretty sure foreign traders accept all types of fur. It's just that fox is the most valuable, by a wide margin. They don't accept leather. IIRC there are also winter versions of fur that are worth more, at least for certain types of animals, I may be misremembering.

Probably snow hares or whatever they're called. Nice white pelts in winter.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

6. The house activates it's trap cards.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ah. I knew the foreign traders only deal in furs, but I didn't realize they were picky about what kind of furs.

As for travel, I hadn't considered going along the coast. My plan was to travel along the nearby river that runs from the northeast to the coast for as long as I can. That'll get me most of the way and then just travel overland until I hit the huge river linked lakes near Kaumo lands.

Fox and lynx fur appear to be very valuable to foreign traders, as far as I saw.

I have made the inland journey many times, so a coastline travel to the East sounds cool. Actually I don't know if it's quicker, since going on a boat still moves you one square at a time, but it could be interesting especially now that there's more wildlife at sea :D

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

But the coast doesn't (I assume) have rapids I can use to acquire delicious and sizable trout and salmon from. :ohdear:

Also I reread my last update and man I spotted a bunch of errors. I shouldn't write lp posts so late at night.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But the coast doesn't (I assume) have rapids I can use to acquire delicious and sizable trout and salmon from. :ohdear:

Also I reread my last update and man I spotted a bunch of errors. I shouldn't write lp posts so late at night.

On the other hand, you could club seals all the way to Njerpezland and once there, bloodied and clad in seal-skin armor, lay waste to the fuckers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I thought seals were only in the north? I admit I base this assumption completely on the fact the Seal-Tribe live in the north.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yo just popping in to say the next ADOM update might be a few days. I've hit a period of extreme grinding with not much interesting stuff going on to write about. gently caress you Biskup for nerfing the Blue Dragon Caves I still have to farm to 45 for my ultra but now it just takes longer. Thanks a lot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Competent Fisherman

Stupid question, are my updates ok so far? The last few I've pretty much been writing as I play, because I tend to forget what exactly I did when I try to write them after the fact (even with screenshots to remind me). I guess I'm just worried its coming out a bit too rambling/stream of conciousnessy.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 3, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think it works frankly; the screenshots tell what's going on immediately, but give no context as to why you're doing what you're doing, but the text does. With a game like URW where you're always planning two steps ahead you kind of need that info, as opposed to "I walked into a goblin! He died!" which can usually be parsed from the game screen.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Competent Fisherman

Stupid question, are my updates ok so far? The last few I've pretty much been writing as I play, because I tend to forget what exactly I did when I try to write them after the fact (even with screenshots to remind me). I guess I'm just worried its coming out a bit too rambling/stream of conciousnessy.

I'm enjoying the updates. They seam pretty coherent and straight forward to me while also informative.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I need to sink some time into UrW again, it's been a year or two.

Regarding the updates, I'm enjoying then as well. I'll make the same suggestion as I did to the other guy, which was to put the text after the screenshots instead of before them, so we're not reading all of the text, then getting to the pictures and going "Yep, that sure is the stuff I just spent paragraphs reading about." (Not saying the text is too long, it's great). Dunno if others prefer it as is though, just my opinion.

I am disappointed we don't get to trip balls though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I've always been disappointed with tracking, it seemed that by the time I spent 5+ minutes looking for tracks whatever made them had already moved away. Does it get faster as you gain skill?

Updates are fine, BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Lprsti99 posted:

Regarding the updates, I'm enjoying then as well. I'll make the same suggestion as I did to the other guy, which was to put the text after the screenshots instead of before them, so we're not reading all of the text, then getting to the pictures and going "Yep, that sure is the stuff I just spent paragraphs reading about." (Not saying the text is too long, it's great). Dunno if others prefer it as is though, just my opinion.

With you on this 100%. It's been a great LP so far though! I gave Unreal World a shot when I first heard of it a couple of years ago, maybe longer? I couldn't make heads or tails of it at the time, but it looks like it's come a long way and your LP is doing a great job of explaining the gameplay, maybe I'll give it another shot.

• Locked thread