Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Machai posted:

would you like a new av?

back off puta :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

twistedmentat posted:

From what I've heard, NYCC has been exploding in recent years because SDCC is, I hate to say it this way but, too corporate. Plus, so many people live in NYC its easier for them to get there. I can imagine Doc and jackson on the subway carrying all their stuff for their panel.

I forgot if there's one in Portland, but I know the Seattle con is becoming bigger because so many writers and artists are in Portland these days.

Seattle's con is Emerald City Comic Con. They've been fighting the corporate swing but it just got bought out by Reed Pop. Last years 3-day passes sold pretty quickly. 2016 will be 4 days and I expect it to sell out quickly too.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
DragonCon has been worth going to the past couple years, if you can stand the stupid rear end heat/humidity. Always been great VB panels there, and great cosplay as well.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

It's amazing how short of a time it took for NYCC to turn into something just as bad as SDCC. When you can't walk through a convention without having to navigate a sea of shoulder to shoulder people, it's time to move on.

yet we get HALF the cool poo poo SDCC gets. the nycc is really bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rusty's lucky that he didn't go the supervillain route. Jonas Jr. would've killed him.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

DragonCon has been worth going to the past couple years, if you can stand the stupid rear end heat/humidity. Always been great VB panels there, and great cosplay as well.

LETS ALL SMOKING!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rusty's lucky that he didn't go the supervillain route. Jonas Jr. would've killed him.

I don't think Jonas would have killed him. In fact, I think he'd probably make quite a big show out of not being able to bring himself to do it.

"But we're the Venture brothers! I can no more spill your blood than I can spill my own." Or something like that. "You spared me when I tried to kill you, and I find that I can't kill you now. Enough Venture blood has been spilled."

I'd love to see Doc finally lose his poo poo, go hyper-competent, and start to finally try to kill what's been killing him his whole life: the entire world of costumed aggression. Powerless in the Face of Death showed us that he's not as far from the edge as he'd like everyone to think. I want to see him Ooo-ray Guild HQ.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want Doc to get accidentally hopped up on amphetamines and become incredibly productive and brilliant, then crash down and realize that he's finally settled down into middle age and is pretty content at this point not to do any real superscience. Then drink another one of his disgusting drinks while surfing channels for another Dolly Parton movie as empty nest syndrome starts to settle in and he starts going stir crazy.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 30, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just Doc and Hatred watching TV in their underpants. I really hope the Triad will be renting space in the Venture HQ in NYC. Also, a real HankCo shop in the lobby.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
They call us abomination together we form abomi Nation!

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I hope by the beginning of the next Season, Doc has already bankrupted Venture Industries.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Angular Landbury posted:

I hope by the beginning of the next Season, Doc has already bankrupted Venture Industries.

I'm actually hoping they move him forward a bit story wise, simply so that we can see him mostly mess things up on a whole new level. I think it could be really cool if he was actually semi competent but still managed to screw things up the way only he can.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It'd be interesting if the only thing he was good at was running a company that made lovely dumb stuff he considered beneath his talents. Doc settles into mediocrity instead of stumbling into it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
For my part, I think it'd be interesting if Monarch managed to bring down Venture's new giant company. Granted he did just burn down the Venture compound on accident, so he's already coming off of a big success, but it'd really make Rusty take him seriously.

Alternately, it'd be pretty great if he flies over in the Cocoon to Arch Venture and just gets owned by a PMC Doc hired for security.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hilariously, I'm pretty sure that no none, including the Monarch, know he's responsible for burning the compound down.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Angular Landbury posted:

No, no, no. That wouldn't do. That'd be like having a Star Wars movie where a couple of Jedi talk to each other while riding in an elevator or something, and they just talk about all their awesome adventures over the last few months or years--really memorable stuff that you would rather watch than an elevator ride--and then spending the rest of the movie watching politicians debate and overwrought special effects battles fought by masses of characters who you simply don't care about.

Would anybody ever make a Star Wars movie like that? Of course not. You'd have to hate Star Wars to do that. Likewise, in a show about failure, you can't skip the failure and pick up from there. You have to show the failure.

As for me... honestly, I'd rather them not destroy JJ's company. I find the constant talk about not having money a little tiresome, and it's getting harder to suspend my disbelief. I mean, what broke person goes around in a supersonic experimental jet all day long? Even if they're selling off memorabilia to rich collectors, sooner or later, you just can't do that anymore.

Instead, why not show what happens when the sometimes hyper-competent Doctor® Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture has some real superscience resources at his disposal. This is the guy who made the Ooo-ray and the joy can. Yes, terrible things to be sure, but it's superscience! Could any of you build a giant can that functions as your own personal holodeck, even with the knowledge that some of the components are harvested from orphans? I'd like to see him accidentally invent his way onto the Guild's poo poo list, and see how he deals with being a legitimate threat.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

Alternately, it'd be pretty great if he flies over in the Cocoon to Arch Venture and just gets owned by a PMC Doc hired for security.

I'm imagining flying Venture tower having SAMs that nobody knows about, and everyone freaks out when rockets start filling the [not?] New York sky.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

an orphan

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just have a horrible feeling that JJ's 'huggy' mood on Gargantua II had a purpose, and he's somehow back 'inside' Rusty again and will pull a Tyler Durden on him whenever he sleeps.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

A HWHAT?!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

NowonSA posted:

it'd be pretty great if he flies over in the Cocoon to Arch Venture...
The cocoon is gone, it crashed into Monarch's house in Malice, destroying both, and apparently killing both of the Moppets and every henchman besides 21. That's why he had to move back to his family home in New Jersey.

Rusty also lost the entire Venture compound, but he ended up with a far superior replacement soon after. The Monarch's day of "victory" ended with Rusty's life improving... That's no victory at all.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Robot Hobo posted:

Rusty also lost the entire Venture compound, but he ended up with a far superior replacement soon after. The Monarch's day of "victory" ended with Rusty's life improving... That's no victory at all.

Hey he can come visit Force Majeure's old HQ when picking up Dr Mrs the Monarch from council meetings!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Doc is going to be surprisingly competent at being a super scientist at the big league level. He'll finally have the tools to refine his unethical work to acceptable quality levels.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best part about Doc is he is a pretty competent scientist he just makes poo poo no one needs or wants or could even buy due to how unethical it is.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

sbaldrick posted:

The best part about Doc is he is a pretty competent scientist he just makes poo poo no one needs or wants or could even buy due to how unethical it is.

I think that is the best part of the joke. By all rights Doc should be a massive and successful super villain but deep down he is just a messed up guy from a messed up family. But I would love to see the semi evil stuff he would come up with and try to market.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Basically Rusty is good at being the evil mad scientist. That's why I really liked the Venchmen episode. All the misery and hate towards his brother. He pretty much screams it. Really hilarious how he just asks Brock if he's... bad?

And Brock just goes.

Ehhhh.

I hope the new season Rusty has some bit of success and not run the industry to the ground. You guys who keep wanting Rusty to fail make it seem like that this show can't show any terms of success otherwise it ruins it. I rather he manages to keep his brother's industry afloat and having to deal with new problems instead.

Also I wish that promo picture reel was real of Rusty going around as a masked vigilante destroying villains.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think one of my favorite underlying threads is that Doc is actually excellent as a supervillain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pick posted:

Yeah, I think one of my favorite underlying threads is that Doc is actually excellent as a supervillain.

Only problem with this is they already did it with Mr. Impossible. I still remember Phantom Limb's face when he realized the Impossible Tower was being powered by the constantly-in-agony Human Torch analog.

"I'm evil and this frankly shocks even me."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

sbaldrick posted:

He's only good at that when it's plot convenient. He can't even fix the Shrink Ray!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

The cocoon is gone, it crashed into Monarch's house in Malice, destroying both, and apparently killing both of the Moppets and every henchman besides 21. That's why he had to move back to his family home in New Jersey.

poo poo I just realized. The Monarch had to move into his old family home in Jersey, and the Ventures are taking over Jonas Jr.'s corporate HQ in New York. I hope there's an episode about the Monarch's crappy commute to go arch Venture. Edit: well I guess we already got some of that stuff in the pilot with the subway.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

poo poo I just realized. The Monarch had to move into his old family home in Jersey, and the Ventures are taking over Jonas Jr.'s corporate HQ in New York. I hope there's an episode about the Monarch's crappy commute to go arch Venture.

Getting squished on the subway, complaining about tourists gawping in the middle of the sidewalk.

How does the general public respond to super villains? Would someone want the Monarch's autograph?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tuxedo Ted posted:

poo poo I just realized. The Monarch had to move into his old family home in Jersey, and the Ventures are taking over Jonas Jr.'s corporate HQ in New York. I hope there's an episode about the Monarch's crappy commute to go arch Venture. Edit: well I guess we already got some of that stuff in the pilot with the subway.

FETCH ME A NEW JERSEY TRANSIT SCHEDULE

I have done that commute. Nnnnngh.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Doc's scientific competence is proportional to the uselessness and amorality of the project, because it's funnier that way.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

poo poo I just realized: Killinger set up the plans for the heist in Monarch's old family home so that the Monarch would find the plans and go up into space where Dr. Mrs. The Monarch would come save him.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I kinda hope that Rusty does end up going the supervillain route, especially in really 'Outside of the GoCI' ways. Thus leading to Brock being forced to do something about it, and it's either super heart wrenching, or it's the chillest arch-nemesis situation.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I kinda hope that Rusty does end up going the supervillain route, especially in really 'Outside of the GoCI' ways. Thus leading to Brock being forced to do something about it, and it's either super heart wrenching, or it's the chillest arch-nemesis situation.

The problem for me is that Rusty's more of a villain (in the selfish, careless rear end in a top hat sense) than a supervillain. Supervillains are really wrapped up in the mystique of being a supervillain, as witness The Monarch. Rusty isn't going to build a super-ray that turns all of the Bronx into killer frog-people. However, he might cheap out on waste disposal and bury leaky barrels of toxic waste near drinking water that does the same thing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We still have the masked Dr Venture (or possible lookalike, or something else) yet to be introduced, any idea on what that was about yet?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

johntfs posted:

The problem for me is that Rusty's more of a villain (in the selfish, careless rear end in a top hat sense) than a supervillain. Supervillains are really wrapped up in the mystique of being a supervillain, as witness The Monarch. Rusty isn't going to build a super-ray that turns all of the Bronx into killer frog-people. However, he might cheap out on waste disposal and bury leaky barrels of toxic waste near drinking water that does the same thing.

Rusty vs. the EPA, the episode writes itself.

Especially if there is a moment involving regular people not realizing that's how Rusty lives gets attacked by the Monarch.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only problem with this is they already did it with Mr. Impossible. I still remember Phantom Limb's face when he realized the Impossible Tower was being powered by the constantly-in-agony Human Torch analog.

"I'm evil and this frankly shocks even me."

And you didn't think you had it in you to be a supervillain. This is the most deliciously evil thing I've ever seen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We still have the masked Dr Venture (or possible lookalike, or something else) yet to be introduced, any idea on what that was about yet?

Whatever it is, it will end up being completely trivial or a 5 second joke, like the successful alternate universe Doc.