Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Turns out every app was reporting a different boost clock. Now I have my core at 1233. GPUZ says boost is 1309, MSI Afterburner says 1423, Unigine Valley says 1625. My memory is at 4GHz. At the end of a Valley benchmark, my temp is 80C with the fan at 55% and all my case fans and CPU HSFs are on the lowest speeds. The computer is effectively silent. Does that sound reasonable?

Yesterday I was using EVGA Precision X to overclock, but any time I set the core over +200, Valley would crash/blackscreen immediately upon loading, which I interpreted to mean the OC was too high. It would only run at +200 at +0mV, so of course GPU-Z reported a low boost clock. 1255Mhz to be precise. Since then, I uninstalled Precision X and installed Afterburner, which I like much more and doesn't seem to be associated with any weird Unigine Valley crashes. I think I can push the core clock well above +233, I just haven't had the time to test the limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Classifieds in the past have been voltage unlocked. Throw 2v in it if you want

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Geology posted:

I have apparently lost the silicon lotto as it seems I cannot push my 980ti ACX beyond 1200 :smith: I guess it's a good problem to have. Also I'm pretty new to GPU OCs so there could just be something I'm missing.

Yeah if your actual clock speed with boost (basically, the final number you see in the graph) is stuck at 1200 then I'd exchange it. But, make sure that's the case first of course. That's basically Kepler OC levels there, I haven't heard of or seen a single Maxwell card (750 -> TitanX) that can't break even 1300

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
FYI, Newegg has the MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming in stock. Just purchased one. :dance:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Fatal posted:

EVGA bstock is back in stock, $240 for 970, $370 for 980

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

For these B stock power supplies and the other B stock stuff it says "these products do not come with any accessories." Does this mean it's bare with no power cables since its modular?

Oh and PS: Is the 980 Ti really pronounced "Tie" and not "T. I."

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 3, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bleh Maestro posted:

For these B stock power supplies and the other B stock stuff it says "these products do not come with any accessories." Does this mean it's bare with no power cables since its modular?

Oh and PS: Is the 980 Ti really pronounced "Tie" and not "T. I."

That might've been the case back when "Ti" was short for "Titanium," but now it's really just "T-I."

For all anyone cares, they could just start calling it the 980$.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bleh Maestro posted:

If you mean the power cable that goes to the wall, yeah, you may or may not get that (probably, still, but not guaranteed). It will come with all the modular cables that go from the PSU to the various bits of your computer, as those are all central to its functionality. What it probably won't come with, though, are non-functional accessories, like the carrying bag, zip ties, and stickers that normally come with the retail ones.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Quick question that's tangentially related to buying a 980ti and the OC thread was off the first page, I have a 3570k and want to OC it, should I just pick up a 212 EVO for $30 or is there a better option at a similar price? I don't have a ton of case room to work with by the 212 should fit to give you an idea.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

Quick question that's tangentially related to buying a 980ti and the OC thread was off the first page, I have a 3570k and want to OC it, should I just pick up a 212 EVO for $30 or is there a better option at a similar price? I don't have a ton of case room to work with by the 212 should fit to give you an idea.

For $30 not really.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Mazz posted:

You know it's ok to post in threads that are on page 2 right? Or 3 or 4...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

beejay posted:

You know it's ok to post in threads that are on page 2 right? Or 3 or 4...

Yeah that was entirely an excuse to post that in this thread since I check it often.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 3, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fauxtool posted:

For $30 not really.

Actually the be quiet! PURE ROCK out performs the 212 EVO both in cooling and quietness and it's $29.90 on newegg right now. Also has an easier mounting bracket.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

be quiet! PURE ROCK

Such a delightful contradiction.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

DrDork posted:

If you mean the power cable that goes to the wall, yeah, you may or may not get that (probably, still, but not guaranteed). It will come with all the modular cables that go from the PSU to the various bits of your computer, as those are all central to its functionality. What it probably won't come with, though, are non-functional accessories, like the carrying bag, zip ties, and stickers that normally come with the retail ones.

Thanks sorry it seemed confusing because the picture was of just the bare PSU and it explicitly states it doesn't come with "accessories"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So apparantly the Fury X pumps are fixed:

http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-x-pump-silent-solves-noise-issue/

Better start RMAing them, people. Should be pretty easy to tell which is which, they have different stickering.

New Pump:

Old pump:

I have to wonder who wanted this fixed more, though, AMD or CoolerMaster.

(I, for one, am going to be watching for RMAed Fury Xes like a goddamn hawk.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 3, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Are they going to sell them as rev b or something? Because otherwise its going to be a giant clusterfuck for consumers to figure out which one they're buying; especially considering that the primary demographic for furyX purchases are people of limited intelligence.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Now they've got that sorted, all they needed to have is the damned second bios filled with an uber mode with higher voltages to let it actually OC properly.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
F vg

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone used one of those kraken mounting brackets for a CLC on a 970? I've been thinking about grabbing one both because I wanna go higher on my overclocks and because the stock fan is a little loud.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Someone on r/AMD did a "review" of their FuryX, and they appear to be the GPU equivalent of an audiophile (graphicphile? computerphile?).

quote:

Another thing I've noticed is the color quality when paired with an IPS monitor is incredible. I've been playing around with the settings in CCC as well as monitor calibrations and scenery has higher dynamic range which subtly makes for a more natural look than any of my previous cards. The stock calibrations feel a bight too bright for TN panels and maybe a bit oversaturated but can be easily turned down and a bit of gamma correction.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the meaningful stats on this card are worse than the competition, but the colors just feel better and the pixels are more dynamic - an idiot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Weird, NV fixed that color range problem with HDMI a while back.

Looks like someone forgot to check if their talking points were still relevant.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The only hdmi devices I know of that still do TV-like calibration on hdmi are MacBooks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Weird, NV fixed that color range problem with HDMI a while back.

Looks like someone forgot to check if their talking points were still relevant.

I think you've misinterpreted the quote. This isn't about color ranges over HDMI or anything, this guy literally thinks that different graphics cards have different "dynamic ranges". He says the image from his FuryX has a more "natural" image.

It's similar to audiophile idiots with no understanding of digital electronics thinking that different Ethernet cables make your music sound better, or comparing the sound of audio played from different HDDs.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Dude I swear my headphones sound more true to life when I run bacon grease on the 3.5mm jack.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

I think you've misinterpreted the quote. This isn't about color ranges over HDMI or anything, this guy literally thinks that different graphics cards have different "dynamic ranges". He says the image from his FuryX has a more "natural" image.

It's similar to audiophile idiots with no understanding of digital electronics thinking that different Ethernet cables make your music sound better, or comparing the sound of audio played from different HDDs.

Oh yeah, he's being stupid and conning himself. That's obvious. I think it'd be funny if he was trying to justify it to himself and remembered something that got fixed a while back.

^^^ at least mini-phono is analog.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

The only hdmi devices I know of that still do TV-like calibration on hdmi are MacBooks.

I have to reset my 24" IPS monitor to full colour range every time I update the Nvidia driver, it's connected via DisplayPort.
Makes you wonder how many people are affected by this without noticing :ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The last time ATi cards produced a better image quality was what, 2002? 3? Now they all use the exact same way to render everything (which is a good thing, 3d in early 00s was a clusterfuck), so only performance matters.

If someone's seeing a difference, they should dial back on that LSD :v:

fake edit:

sauer kraut posted:

I have to reset my 24" IPS monitor to full colour range every time I update the Nvidia driver, it's connected via DisplayPort.
Makes you wonder how many people are affected by this without noticing :ohdear:

Or maybe not. :wtc:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I think AMD had some advantages in image quality even going back only a few years ago. I think AMD beat Nvidia with angle-independent AF by a year or something.

Minor, tiny things.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bleh Maestro posted:

Dude I swear my headphones sound more true to life when I run bacon grease on the 3.5mm jack.

It's really weird how different the Videophile and Audiophile camps are. The former is completely filled with people who rely almost completely on measurement. The latter is filled with people who rely almost completely on testimonial. I wish I knew why they ended up so different.

(Snide Answer: Audio reproduction is a much easier problem and has been solved for more than 50 years. If you rely on measurement there's really nothing to do.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chuu posted:

It's really weird how different the Videophile and Audiophile camps are. The former is completely filled with people who rely almost completely on measurement. The latter is filled with people who rely almost completely on testimonial. I wish I knew why they ended up so different.

(Snide Answer: Audio reproduction is a much easier problem and has been solved for more than 50 years. If you rely on measurement there's really nothing to do.)

Yeah, your answer is pretty much bang on. Lossless storage of audio is completely reasonable.

Lossless storage of video is not particularly feasible yet, and we keep making the frame sizes ever larger, and potentially frame rates ever higher, so it'll keep moving out of reach. Relatively low bitrate audio can be acceptable to many people, but low bitrate video looks like absolute filth. H.264 is a bit more pleasing than codecs of old, but it still needs to be fed enough bitrate.

Also, anecdotally, I believe it's a bit harder to gently caress up an audio transfer than it is a video one. If you screw up the framing or the aspect ratio, many many people will have their opinion to share. Same with contrast, colour grading, exposure, and so on. Basically, there are many more ways to mess up video content. Whereas the main problem with audio transfers to media such as CD tends to be completely preventable and entirely deliberate - ruining all the dynamic range in the quest to make the music loud, fatiguing, awful and shouty.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, your answer is pretty much bang on. Lossless storage of audio is completely reasonable.

Lossless storage of video is not particularly feasible yet, and we keep making the frame sizes ever larger, and potentially frame rates ever higher, so it'll keep moving out of reach. Relatively low bitrate audio can be acceptable to many people, but low bitrate video looks like absolute filth. H.264 is a bit more pleasing than codecs of old, but it still needs to be fed enough bitrate.

A bit off topic, but man the MUSE codec is pretty incredible. It's difficult for me to tell the difference between a ~96kbit/s MUSE audio file and FLAC. Compression artifacts are visible even at really high bitrates with video, but with audio you can really crunch it down without doing much damage at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

edit: wait, misread

repiv fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 3, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For a while when we were on VGA standard still and in the 90s, I remember the DACs and ADCs used by ATI were better than nVidia's cards by a few decibels maybe which at least meant less chance of aliasing artifacts and also better demonstrable color range for certain video pros (not relevant for gamers or anything). Can't remember the review I saw that rated video cards similar to how you'd measure signal response from speakers but that was interesting then. Funny enough, we do have a digital VGA standard now, but nobody implements it except maybe three vendors.

And hard drive seek noise is audible on many laptops for me still :(

I'll contend that until the mid 80s or so DACs were not that great / efficient until the modern 1 bit DAC was perfected (early 80s had some issues for a while). Hardly 50 years. Christ, early Motown Records didn't have stuff that would remotely compete with a fuckin' iPhone 3G's DAC or any of its ADCs then.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

necrobobsledder posted:

You don't have an SSD in the laptop? drat.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wonder if you taped proven audio stones to your displayport would it look even better

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I wonder if you taped proven audio stones to your displayport would it look even better

Lmao literally rocks in a bag

sout
Apr 24, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Audiophiles, man. That's amazing.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

necrobobsledder posted:

For a while when we were on VGA standard still and in the 90s, I remember the DACs and ADCs used by ATI were better than nVidia's cards by a few decibels maybe which at least meant less chance of aliasing artifacts and also better demonstrable color range for certain video pros (not relevant for gamers or anything). Can't remember the review I saw that rated video cards similar to how you'd measure signal response from speakers but that was interesting then. Funny enough, we do have a digital VGA standard now, but nobody implements it except maybe three vendors.

I'll contend that until the mid 80s or so DACs were not that great / efficient until the modern 1 bit DAC was perfected (early 80s had some issues for a while). Hardly 50 years. Christ, early Motown Records didn't have stuff that would remotely compete with a fuckin' iPhone 3G's DAC or any of its ADCs then.

Yeah, I was exaggerating a bit, and I was mainly meaning the analogue stuff. I spent some time building amps and involved with the DIY audiophile croud, and some of the circuits people swear by; especially all the Class A stuff; is from the 80's or earlier. Some of it much earlier.

I know how much BS there is in the audiophile community, but that's not going to stop me from buying an Essence One MkII MUSES edition as soon as it's avaliable in the United States. The fact that ASUS, a computer company, basically hit a home run on their first shot at a standalone DAC/AMP says a lot. Something like the Essence One must have been trivial to put out compared to Motherboards where you literally have to model every trace for an optional result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Wow, I clicked purchase expecting to be taken to a link calling me a gullible retard. Instead it really asked me for $159.00 for 3 aquarium rocks in a bag.