Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b00n
May 8, 2007

Hagop posted:

Is dytech no longer the gregtech of factorio. I tried back in .9 and it was sooooo bad I have never even dared go back to the sub-forum.

Nope, that would be bobs mods. Any one of them. Take them all for extra fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Toast Museum posted:

Is there a good detailed oil tutorial? My oil setup always feels sloppy and probably bottlenecked in twelve ways I'm not even aware of.

There was a great oil layout way back in the thread that I stole, but it may have been lost to time.

Found it http://lpix.org/1746792/dawdwdaw.png

Wasn't the one I was thinking of, but uses a similar technique.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 2, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Toast Museum posted:

Is there a good detailed oil tutorial? My oil setup always feels sloppy and probably bottlenecked in twelve ways I'm not even aware of.

Welcome to the real world of oil.

Bhodi posted:

There was a great oil layout way back in the thread that I stole, but it may have been lost to time.

What version is that? Those chemical plants look strange to me.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bhodi posted:

You can tell that's my picture because
a) I'm researching Robot Count 20
b) I still have burner miners on the toolbelt

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
How do you guys mass produce red/blue belts? Fuckloads of iron for the gears? Any recycling of old bits?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have yellows feed into a limited chest, which (when I have the tech) feeds into a red belt assembler, which goes into a limited chest, which goes to the blue assembler and output chest.

When I replace belts, say yellows with reds, I drop the yellows in the proper chest for it to be recycled.

And yea, factory work pretty much grinds to a halt when blue belts first get researched.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Speaking of Mods, is there any mods Goons want to recommend?

Vanilla is great and all, but I'm not opposed to some Quality of Life mods or "Cool thing" mods to mess about with while we wait for the next patch to drop. Any mods that significantly change the game that aren't terrible?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's been a while since I used DyTech, but it sounds like it hasn't changed that much. I enjoyed my playthrough, but at the end of the day it just added more but not really a lot of different. There are some other mods that do cool stuff but I haven't dug in too much. I try to avoid a lot of mods because they seem pretty game breaking (like a tree farm, that kind of fundamentally changes the pollution mechanic). But someone made an oil tanker car which looks pretty cool. I may try that out next time.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
A problem I have with a lot of mods is that the designers don't even tell you what they do.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Thanks to all the traffic in this thread lately, I pulled the trigger on buying this game. So far, I'm enjoying myself.

I managed to automate some red science packs this morning, which felt good. Had to stop on the greens before I was late for work.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
My previous post

James The 1st posted:

A problem I have with a lot of mods is that the designers don't even tell you what they do.

Most of my stuff is pretty simple/self explanatory, but if you have any questions I'm happy to answer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'd like to see some other people's factory layouts or smaller layouts they've worked out for specific products; I've noticed all my factories are starting to look kinda samey these days and it'd be nice to get some new ideas.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bhodi posted:

That's actually a pretty terrible layout - you're going to run out of room drat quickly, and you have an extremely limited way to expand. I prefer the Infinitely Tessellated Tankfarm:

It can expand up (or down) and to the right forever, adding capacity for both refining and storage. Branching off chem plants from this is dead easy, too. Extend pipes out up (or down) from the leftmost set of tanks, and then use underground pipes to pull off to the side:

You can see the water tanks that feed up into the refinery farm here as well. This is a bit messy, since it's from one of my earlier fortresses, but you can get the idea from it.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
You aren't playing factorio unless you build with no plan and your expansions are constantly screwed up due to earlier layout mistakes.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Kenlon posted:

That's actually a pretty terrible layout - you're going to run out of room drat quickly, and you have an extremely limited way to expand. I prefer the Infinitely Tessellated Tankfarm:

It can expand up (or down) and to the right forever, adding capacity for both refining and storage. Branching off chem plants from this is dead easy, too. Extend pipes out up (or down) from the leftmost set of tanks, and then use underground pipes to pull off to the side:

You can see the water tanks that feed up into the refinery farm here as well. This is a bit messy, since it's from one of my earlier fortresses, but you can get the idea from it.

That looks very un-factorio.

This is how a factorio oil refinery looks:

A right proper mess that expands where it can when it can expands like it needs.

Edit: I just downloaded a huge patch. Do we have nuclear weapons or artillery yet? Surely there must have been a lot of toys in that one.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Zephyrine posted:

That looks very un-factorio.

This is how a factorio oil refinery looks:

A right proper mess that expands where it can when it can expands like it needs.

Edit: I just downloaded a huge patch. Do we have nuclear weapons or artillery yet? Surely there must have been a lot of toys in that one.

What version are you running now? If it's 11.22 then you must have just gotten the current version.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well since no one seems keen to rave about mods I found one that you may all want.

Tree Collision Box
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12365

Why? It lets you run through forests without bumping into a tree every five cocking seconds.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I like to build refineries like this. It's easy to expand in two dimensions based on immediate needs. It's on a regular 6x6 grid, there's room to walk between the rows, and there's an entire tank as a hopper for each processor.

Edit: in retrospect, the lube would go better on the top instead of the bottom, so downward expansion wouldn't have to skip over it

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 2, 2015

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is our most recent fossil fuel nightmare

Also, behold the fish-go round: http://i.imgur.com/RNn9yaZ.webm

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Boogalo posted:

This is our most recent fossil fuel nightmare

Also, behold the fish-go round: http://i.imgur.com/RNn9yaZ.webm

I get a very Blue Ball Machine feel from this.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Just do everything with bots.

Refine your ores

and your oil.

Make your fuel blocks

and of course, all the things.

It only takes a small army to do it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Torpor posted:

You aren't playing factorio unless you build with no plan and your expansions are constantly screwed up due to earlier layout mistakes.

This is true for real factories too :negative:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

b00n posted:

Nope, that would be bobs mods. Any one of them. Take them all for extra fun.

So are you saying that Dytech is actually good and/or balanced now?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ModeSix posted:

So are you saying that Dytech is actually good and/or balanced now?

"Good and/or balanced" is not mutually inclusive with "fun."

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

KillHour posted:

"Good and/or balanced" is not mutually inclusive with "fun."

Fair enough.

Some of the poo poo that Dytech adds just seems unnecessary.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ModeSix posted:

Some of the poo poo that Dytech adds just seems unnecessary.
...and you'd be right about that.

Fans posted:

Tree Collision Box

Why? It lets you run through forests without bumping into a tree every five cocking seconds.

This should be in the OP.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fans posted:

Well since no one seems keen to rave about mods I found one that you may all want.

Tree Collision Box

Running through forest? Are you some kind of a hippy tree-hugger? Just make it get out of your way, with grenades.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Just have your factory mass produce chemical weapons and fling them from your speeding car.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SpookyLizard posted:

Just have your factory mass produce chemical weapons and fling them from your speeding tank.

Fixed that for you.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you're having problems with trees, get the Explosive Termites mod. It adds two new items, Explosive Termites and Alien Explosive Termites, which will literally take out an entire forest a few hundred tiles in diameter. I've been using them liberally in this modpack.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I may have to make a Big Pharma thread today.

edit: oops; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725473

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 4, 2015

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Chunjee posted:

I may have to make a Big Pharma thread today.

There is a Big Pharma thread.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Is there a mod to alter output amounts? I'd like to be able to create 2 iron plates per go Instead of 1 but I haven't been able to find a mod that does this. Maybe a goon knows of one?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Furnaces choose their recipe based on what is put into them, so having an ambiguous situation like that might get weird/buggy; I'm not sure, I haven't tried it. You could make a "double furnace" though with its own recipe category and then just double and copy all smelting recipes to take double input, double output, and double processing time.

Though the True Factorio answer is just to make more furnaces.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The factory that builds 60 rocket defenses in an hour got a call out in this week's Friday update by the devs. Did one of the posters here make it? I remember hearing about it before and I don't read the game forums.

Oh, and they're targeting next week for 0.12.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, EvilReaver was more inclined towards speedrunning though I do remember him building a factory to automate rocket defenses at one point.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, EvilReaver was more inclined towards speedrunning though I do remember him building a factory to automate rocket defenses at one point.

Yea that was my area, but 60/hr is outta my league. My best runs are 8 hours for one RD, and 24 RDs in 24 hours, which I believe aren't even records in and of themselves.

E: In order to get 60/hr, that would have to be a long-running game (100+ hours) and I never run longer than 30 hours.

E2: Looking at it, 100+ hours nothing, I'd be surprised if it was less than 300+ hours

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Record for one RD is just under 4 hours, so you still need to cut that in half.
That 1 RD/minute save has a play time of 238 hours.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well just look at the loving size of the thing and look at the size of the factory he used to build that compound; I'd guess at least 100 of those hours were spent just in transit from point to point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Cool, once .12 hits I'm gonna get back into this.