Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Tunicate posted:

I sorta got bored mid-S2, since it seemed like they ran out of Liar Game to copy and had trouble coming up with new games.

First ep of S4 was pretty great, though.

Anyone willing to give me a 'best of' episode list for S2 and S3?

S2 had a poo poo cast and poo poo games. The producers really dropped the ball and allowed the celebrities to form huge alliances and bully non-celebrities for essentially the whole season. If you want to watch the "S2"est episode watch S2E6

S3 was really good start to finish, i'd watch the whole thing with the caveat that the later episodes are often foregone conclusions since the participants had such a strong grasp of game theory that they realized their best chance at surviving was to throw the main match and choose the weakest deathmatch opponent - super interesting stuff from a game theory perspective but bad television when the main match is 2/3 of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
S3 was a huge improvement over season 2, but Dongmin and Hyunmin are so dominant that it loses a lot of the tension.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

S2 is better than people give it credit for and a lot of the S3 main match design was inexcusably bad. Special honors to S3E7 which was literally designed to let 5 people inescapably lock the other two out from the moment it started.

Best S2 episodes: Food Chain S2E1, God's Judgement S2E7, Layoff S2E9, Elevator Game S2E11, Finale S2E12

Best S3 episodes: Judging Game S3E2, Miner Game S3E5, Stock Market S3E6, Chain Auction S3E10, Finale S3E12

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 3, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've had this thread bookmarked for a while now as a reminder I need to start watching this once I cleared my backlog of other shows a bit.
Holy poo poo that ending to The Genius ep1.

:stwoon::five::staredog:

Please tell me this show isn't staged.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's not staged as far as we're aware, but the opening credits do have "WRITER", so...

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's not staged as far as we're aware, but the opening credits do have "WRITER", so...

Bandage Oppa's lines and things like the intros from this episode don't just magically sprout into existence

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
but do you really need two whole writers for "Before the death match opponent is selected, I will now present the player's garnet counts"

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_2u_7uBbc

The bts are so good.

Suspicious Dish posted:

but do you really need two whole writers for "Before the death match opponent is selected, I will now present the player's garnet counts"

Well there is also all that text that comes on screen. I assume the guy who does that gets a writer credit.

eta- and the whole describing the game spiel.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 3, 2015

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm guessing that the writers are the ones who come up with the games and their particular details. I would think they'd certainly create more than just Bandage oppa's lines at least!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, but you might need both of them to craft stuff like the rules explanation. Writing also applies to staging. If one of those writers is entirely for Dealer Nuna, I will not complain.

Season 2 had good games, but the cast was horrible (okay fine I liked Hongchul) and the permanent immunity token was a boring sleuth and really ruined the bigger game.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Also the whole existence of season 2 disproves it being rigged imo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
If there was a moment in the show that makes me think of being "rigged for entertainment" it was this episode. Sangmin getting the convict card was way too fitting.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Our perception of Sangmin as ethically dubious is from S2 which had a garbage cast of incompetent idiot morons. S1 sangmin got really far by being bros with Sungyuu and Kyungran and largely played on the level.

I disagree, he pulled a lot of poo poo in S1. That's why people actively avoided him in the first episodes of S2, it took like 2 or 3 episodes for people to give him space to work his black magic again.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, I've looked for this before but come up blank: does anybody know the details on Sangmin's sketchy real-life stuff?

I think you can search way way back in this thread for some info but it mostly involved restaurants or businesses and owing money/bankruptcy things.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Mob posted:

I think you can search way way back in this thread for some info but it mostly involved restaurants or businesses and owing money/bankruptcy things.

Yeah its why in the season 1 and 2 Sangmin, really really wants that money.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Literally all reality game shows ever have "writers".

They're the people that take the 4 hours of game footage from the perspective of 13 different people and identify an actual story that fits into a 60 minute storyline for TV.

Not to say that producer intervention doesn't go on.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zythrst posted:

Yeah its why in the season 1 and 2 Sangmin, really really wants that money.

He wasn't identified in Bumdy's cast introductions as Lee "Crippling Debt" Sangmin for nothing. It puts S2 in a bit of a different context when you realize how much Sangmin needed the money, I like to think it basically awakened him to doing whatever it took to win. He had most of that mindset in S1, but S2 you really see him just lining up everything with black magic to win it all.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

God I missed this show.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The more I think about it the more I feel like they planned the game to trip over Hyunmin-like plans that could arise from it. The convict card was a powerful variable and I'm glad that there were people in the game like Junseok and Sangmin to try to make use of it.

By the way, it was weird how Hyunmin disregarded the convict card when Sangmin told him he had it. It always felt superimportant to me, no way that card would stay isolated with someone*.

[*] lol tittygod is a dumbass

Varam posted:

I don't know why people are so down on Junseok.

Other than the fact that he eliminated our dear Mr Magoo, I guess his ressentiment with the majority alliance felt weird and unwarranted. Kinda reminds me of that magician dude from S2. I'm glad that he seems to be a decent player, seeing how well he played in the death match.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I was disappointed to see him first out in S1. He had a great plan but he and Jinho kind of outwitted themselves. I'm glad he gets a second chance.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed to see him first out in S1. He had a great plan but he and Jinho kind of outwitted themselves. I'm glad he gets a second chance.

It was really loving funny

"I have a plan to get 9 wins but ehhhh that's probably not enough"

*does random poo poo, actual winner gets 6 wins, gets eliminated*

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I like that people like Junseok are willing to go against potential orchestrated majorities. That was one of the down points of S2 is that Hyunmin would devise some winning strategy for all but 1 person then Dongmin would ram it through. Hopefully Sangmin's deviousness and Junseok's power plays and Yohwan's bumbling cluelessness will prevent that happening again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I like that Kyunghoon is simply there for us to be mad at, so nobody can be mad at anyone else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Suspicious Dish posted:

I like that Kyunghoon is simply there for us to be mad at, so nobody can be mad at anyone else.

Tittygod is a poo poo lightning rod. Yohwan breathes a sigh of relief.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Dias posted:

Tittygod is a poo poo lightning rod. Yohwan breathes a sigh of relief.
You joke, but you could almost see it on his face as he watched Kyunghoon gently caress himself over.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Remember that Jinho took out Junseok S1 because he said he was most worried about him. I think he could be a spoiler this season

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Little_wh0re posted:

Remember that Jinho took out Junseok S1 because he said he was most worried about him. I think he could be a spoiler this season

As I said in one of those CIA-document posts, I'd try and take both him and Tittygod out as soon as possible. Those guys are way too unreliable, plus Junseok at least has a modicum of competence.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I hope Mentality King manages to send Hyunmin to the deathmatch this season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Subyng posted:

I hope Mentality King manages to send Hyunmin to the deathmatch this season.

I think I'd enjoy Mentality King suddenly having decisive game-deciding power more than anyone else, I really felt for him when he was left as the odd man out in one of the middle race games, presumably due to Hyunmin's plans like usual.

I'm also holding out hope that Hyunmin does the calculations at least once this season and realizes that the optimal path would have him losing based on whatever role he'd been assigned in a game or just how a game had progressed. I assume that self-preservation would override his sick logic, but I want to confirm it, and it's extra interesting if he proposes an alternate plan but someone else, presumable Jinho, Junseok, or Dongmin, figures out that Hyunmin losing could benefit everyone, or that Hyunmin could easily be made the main match loser through a fairly simple set of plays.

I'm expecting a lot of brutal 1 on 1 deathmatches this season though, it won't always be anyone vs. Tittygod, we're guaranteed to get some tough ones like Hyunmin vs. Dongmin, Jinho vs. Sangmin, etc.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NowonSA posted:

I'm expecting a lot of brutal 1 on 1 deathmatches this season though, it won't always be anyone vs. Tittygod, we're guaranteed to get some tough ones like Hyunmin vs. Dongmin, Jinho vs. Sangmin, etc.

The black magician Sangmin will not be in the deathmatch before the finale ... and there he will fight against Tittygod.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just realized 5 of this season's contestants have never lost a Death Match.

poo poo's gonna get awesome.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

qbert posted:

I just realized 5 of this season's contestants have never lost a Death Match.

poo poo's gonna get awesome.

That doesn't sound right. It's only 4 and none of those 4 has played more than one season, which means they "only" needed to reach F2 in their respective season to achieve this status.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

That doesn't sound right. It's only 4 and none of those 4 has played more than one season, which means they "only" needed to reach F2 in their respective season to achieve this status.

Jinho, Kyungran, Hyunmin, Dongmin, and Yohwan have never lost a Death Match.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Jinho lost in S2 to what amounted to be a dice roll,

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fall posted:

Jinho lost in S2 to what amounted to be a dice roll,

Holy poo poo I forgot he was even in S2. I basically blocked all of that season from my mind.

My mistake.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
This show is the best. I'm in the middle of finishing season 3, and I don't think any moment up to now has made me laugh as hard as the moment in the S3 number auction game where Dongmin realizes that his trade with Hyungmin makes his number completely obvious to everyone. His reaction to it is perfect.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

I'm only 3/4 through the episode by why the gently caress do people keep trusting Sangmin? Seriously? You don't even need to watch Season 2 to know he is sketchy as gently caress, even the way he talks to other people you can tell he can't be trusted. For gently caress's sake.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Super Saiyan Sangmin was the best. I've been rewatching season 1 and had forgotten that it had a lot of women on the show. I don't know why they have more dudes now since season 3.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
And only 3 women for season 4.

But drat yoonsun is fiiine

Subyng fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 4, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Subyng posted:

And only 3 women for season 4.

But drat yoonsun is fiiine

I would argue that it's because Korean culture does not allow a "female Sangmin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Super Saiyan Sangmin was the best. I've been rewatching season 1 and had forgotten that it had a lot of women on the show. I don't know why they have more dudes now since season 3.

It's very noticeable. It's a big country, I'm sure with some effort they could get a much more even ratio.

And I don't think the cultural argument holds any water. It's on the producers to both decide that they want an even split and to then figure out how to recruit qualified players.