Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UserErr0r posted:

There's a few pegasus ground vehicle spawns around the map. They won't spawn across the street from you like your personal vehicles will. It's worth learning the common spots so you can anticipate where you might spawn an insurgent pickup or technical so a pubbie doesn't steal it. Also, join us in mumble already, MJF

One of the first things I bought was the hilariously lovely RV for laughs, and was pissed to find out I have to get it from Pegasus. I understand things like the Technical, but really? The RV?

Do people think any of this poo poo is a good idea or something? I can think of no universe "Let's make a handful of vehicles that out dates most of our catalogue by making them faster, stronger, and great at everything. Then let's make it so you can't shoot the people out of the vehicle, and add the cherry on top by making anyone who kills you pay tends of thousands of dollars for having the gull to blow your car up; even if you were trying to kill them" is a sound gameplay design strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

One of the first things I bought was the hilariously lovely RV for laughs, and was pissed to find out I have to get it from Pegasus. I understand things like the Technical, but really? The RV?

Do people think any of this poo poo is a good idea or something? I can think of no universe "Let's make a handful of vehicles that out dates most of our catalogue by making them faster, stronger, and great at everything. Then let's make it so you can't shoot the people out of the vehicle, and add the cherry on top by making anyone who kills you pay tends of thousands of dollars for having the gull to blow your car up; even if you were trying to kill them" is a sound gameplay design strategy.

If you encounter someone in an armored car one can:

1. kill them
2. go passive
3. rage quit then go post about it

Since you seem unable to do #1, and are whining that #2 exists, it seems that #3 is your only option.

Also, you can't enter passive with a bounty. hth

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've bought a Zentorno, so that's my supercar requirements taken care of, but now I have two garage spaces in the sticks that need filling with off road vehicles and I should probably grab a bike for the city as well. What are the best options there?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you get a bounty, you are actually taken out of passive mode. If you don't like armored cars, stay away from them. You aren't required to fight them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cojawfee posted:

If you get a bounty, you are actually taken out of passive mode. If you don't like armored cars, stay away from them. You aren't required to fight them.

I think the bigger complaint is that at any time someone can be a dick and pull you out of Clothes Shopping Mode just because they want to kill you or shoot up your car. A bounty pretty much trumps everything, and that's kind of stupid even if I can see why they did it that way.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
You can't put a bounty on someone in passive mode though. The only way it can happen is if you steal a car from an NPC.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

King Vidiot posted:

I think the bigger complaint is that at any time someone can be a dick and pull you out of Clothes Shopping Mode just because they want to kill you or shoot up your car. A bounty pretty much trumps everything, and that's kind of stupid even if I can see why they did it that way.

This is a violent online game. Why are you shopping in open world murder mode (online public lobby) instead of clothes shopping in a private lobby where no one will gently caress with you?

If I don't want to be hosed with I do whatever it is in a private lobby. If I'm in a public lobby I expect to be hosed with because it's Grand Theft loving Auto. For many, many people the game is about chaos and loving things up. Likewise if you are in the game world, game on.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BitBasher posted:

This is a violent online game. Why are you shopping in open world murder mode (online public lobby) instead of clothes shopping in a private lobby where no one will gently caress with you?

If I don't want to be hosed with I do whatever it is in a private lobby. If I'm in a public lobby I expect to be hosed with because it's Grand Theft loving Auto. For many, many people the game is about chaos and loving things up. Likewise if you are in the game world, game on.

I'm glad there is passive mode. There are lots of reasons you might not want to engage in combat *this moment* but not want to switch instances over it. Passive mode is good for that.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I shop exclusively in public lobbies I guess you could say I'm pretty badass :c00lbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm fine with people loving with me as long as they're funny about it and aren't just hack-teleporting to me in invincible mode to one-shot kill me, and it looks like that's most of the online pubbie experience which is why I usually play in private lobbies anyways.

The reason I used to use passive mode is that I would boot directly into Online, which prevents you from starting your own private server. You basically have to start up single-player and then switch over to online, but you can't do it from the radial character-select you have to do it from the Esc menu, and then select invite-only or friends-only. I guess what I'm trying to say in all of this is Rockstar are dumb as poo poo and I don't know why they made half of their game such an ordeal to play. When it's good it's good, but then some huge loving annoyance pops up and ruins whatever fun you were just having.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Passive is good because sometimes a group if asshats will decide to ruin your day just because they are miserable sods and keep hunting you down. A kill or two is fair, but when an insurgent keeps hunting you down for no reason it's nice to be able to pop passive so they go away. The best option though is to get the other goons on the server to help turn the tables.

Also, if someone is loving with you and you don't want to pay for their car, put a bounty in them. It's a cheap pass to blow up their poo poo, with the added perk that other players will try to kill them as well.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 3, 2015

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is the liberator a holiday themed thing? Also all you foreigners need to back the gently caress off my Independence Day.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

If you encounter someone in an armored car one can:

1. kill them
2. go passive
3. rage quit then go post about it

Since you seem unable to do #1, and are whining that #2 exists, it seems that #3 is your only option.

Also, you can't enter passive with a bounty. hth

If you think that's remotely good game design, I don't know what to say, because:

1- This is pretty easily done but they make you pay 30k+ for the privilege of doing it, which is loving retarded and my main point
2- Passive is bullshit that shouldn't be allowed if you're still allowed to interact with the world at large
3- I usually do #1 but it gets old blowing so much money for no reason

And given the sheer number of passive people with bounties, that's news to me.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm glad there is passive mode. There are lots of reasons you might not want to engage in combat *this moment* but not want to switch instances over it. Passive mode is good for that.

The problem is the fact you can still partake in world events, like stealing specific cars or picking up crate drops. Nothing is shittier than some jackass in a passive armored car just rolling straight up onto the point, because you can't do poo poo about them at all.

BitBasher posted:

I pretty much agree with that. I think if you're outside your apartment you should be fair game, 24/7, tough titties if you're trying to do something. It's GTA.

Again I think the armored cars are utterly broken and game-ruining in the long term, but I think they're easily killed. I literally think in this case removing the insurance from them would 100% fix them since then people wouldn't just keep respawning droves of them unless they're hacking and maybe not constantly use them on every single mission.

Bottom line is they're too fast, too good at off road, too good at on road and there are no ways to disable them without hurting your own bank account, meaning someone in one can go on a murder spree and all you can do is run away like a bitch, pretty much, if you don't want to spend huge chunks of cash. That doesn't sound like very good game design.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 3, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Blazing Ownager posted:

1- This is pretty easily done but they make you pay 30k+ for the privilege of doing it, which is loving retarded and my main point

The gently caress are you talking about? The Armored Kuruma is like, 8k or 9k max and the Insurgent costs 16k-ish in insurance I believe. The Osiris is the most expensive at 24k and it's not even armored, it's just a fancy supercar.

Even if you factor in ammo, Kurumas take like 1 sticky bomb to explode and those are fairly cheap. Even Insurgents only take maybe 5k worth of stickies, tops.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Shoot kuruama drivers in tje loving face througj the window you garbage goon

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1. Then...set...a..bounty?

2. You really can't do that much in passive, I don't know why it existing gets you so mad but people being about to run around killing things makes you mad too :shrug:

3. Sounds like the reason is you're lazy to set a bounty or don't know how this game works. To be fair, the whole mobile phone and context menu thing took me a few minutes to understand.

You can get a bounty placed on you while in passive, but you can't go passive while you have a bounty. hth

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T1g4h posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? The Armored Kuruma is like, 8k or 9k max and the Insurgent costs 16k-ish in insurance I believe. The Osiris is the most expensive at 24k and it's not even armored, it's just a fancy supercar.

Even if you factor in ammo, Kurumas take like 1 sticky bomb to explode and those are fairly cheap. Even Insurgents only take maybe 5k worth of stickies, tops.

I routinely blow way more than 9k blowing up armored Kurumas. Does it have to do with your sanity rating? Because I blow up a lot of armored Kurumas, actually.

Trabisnikof posted:

1. Then...set...a..bounty?

3. Sounds like the reason is you're lazy to set a bounty or don't know how this game works. To be fair, the whole mobile phone and context menu thing took me a few minutes to understand.

You can get a bounty placed on you while in passive, but you can't go passive while you have a bounty. hth

The fact it still charges for the insurance /even if the target has a bounty/ is yet another reason this is a dumb, dumb system.

I honestly think anyone defending the Armored Kuruma just loves their Armored Kuruma.

ED: And again "Oh I'll get somebody else to pay to kill the guy who shot me in the face, because if I shoot him back I have to pay a ton, which is only a thing in armored vehicles since any other vehicle you can kill the person without blowing up their ride" is poo poo game design, period.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 3, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Also with how long the servers take to load, the option to go passive to buy poo poo and not take 5 mins coming back from a private server is a godsend

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

Also with how long the servers take to load, the option to go passive to buy poo poo and not take 5 mins coming back from a private server is a godsend

Sack up and drive to the store with some risk, I say.

Oh no someone might try to kill you in a GTA game? Seriously though the only reason passive mode is obnoxious is you can do things like hijack the special vehicle and then just ignore the whole event if you're passive.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh no someone might try to kill you in a GTA game?

Lmao your such a baby

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I routinely blow way more than 9k blowing up armored Kurumas. Does it have to do with your sanity rating? Because I blow up a lot of armored Kurumas, actually.

The fact it still charges for the insurance /even if the target has a bounty/ is yet another reason this is a dumb, dumb system.

I honestly think anyone defending the Armored Kuruma just loves their Armored Kuruma.

Not as far as I know, but I've never payed much attention to the mental state system. Supposedly you get more money or RP for killing red dots or some poo poo? I dunno, never cared enough about it.

And you're drat right I love my Armored Kuruma. I love my chrome and pink Insurgent too. But I also love the Phoenix, my Glendale, and all the other random dumb cars i've collected in this game. The Kuruma isn't really any worse than what you used to have to deal with in freeroam, aka pubbies reversing at you in an Adder and spraying SMG / AP pistol fire at you. Insurance costs on those were higher than the Kuruma and the Kuruma is just as vulnerable to stickies as those were.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

Lmao your such a baby

Says the guy who is unable to drive to an ammunation without God mode

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh no someone might try to kill you in a GTA game? Seriously though the only reason passive mode is obnoxious is you can do things like hijack the special vehicle and then just ignore the whole event if you're passive.

I cant kill this guy who wants to spend 5 mins buyinh clothes and then drives awayyyy

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you think that's remotely good game design, I don't know what to say, because:

2- Passive is bullshit that shouldn't be allowed if you're still allowed to interact with the world at large
3- I usually do #1 but it gets old blowing so much money for no reason

And given the sheer number of passive people with bounties, that's news to me.

The problem is the fact you can still partake in world events, like stealing specific cars or picking up crate drops. Nothing is shittier than some jackass in a passive armored car just rolling straight up onto the point, because you can't do poo poo about them at all.

If you're playing on PC and people are in passive mode and have bounties on them it'll be because they're hacking. If you're in passive mode you can't have a bounty put on you by another player - only by NPCs if you steal their car and then it takes the player out of passive mode.

If you're in passive mode and collect the Simeon car you also get taken out of passive mode so I don't know what you're complaining about.

The crate drops are lovely anyway so it doesn't really matter and blowing stuff up doesn't cost anywhere near 30K. I think the most expensive thing is an Osiris at 24K and even then it's not a lot, you can make more than that by doing 2 Rooftop rumbles.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Says the guy who is unable to drive to an ammunation without God mode

My point was id ratjer go passive for 30 seconds and buy poo poo safely instead of waiting the 10 mins it takes to get into a private server and come back to a public one but keep raging my man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dude, do you even play this game? How many things can you be wrong about?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T1g4h posted:

Not as far as I know, but I've never payed much attention to the mental state system. Supposedly you get more money or RP for killing red dots or some poo poo? I dunno, never cared enough about it.

And you're drat right I love my Armored Kuruma. I love my chrome and pink Insurgent too. But I also love the Phoenix, my Glendale, and all the other random dumb cars i've collected in this game. The Kuruma isn't really any worse than what you used to have to deal with in freeroam, aka pubbies reversing at you in an Adder and spraying SMG / AP pistol fire at you. Insurance costs on those were higher than the Kuruma and the Kuruma is just as vulnerable to stickies as those were.

The problem with is it is the best car.

There should be no best car, but cars good at different niches. It's ridiculous to have one that's got every advantage, pretty much. It needs a nerf, as do all the armored vehicles. I've pretty much resolved to not buying any armored vehicle in the game purely because they literally have no positive in an MP environment.

If I could blow them up for free, you're right, they're easy to kill. Killing them isn't a problem.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thanks for bringing the worst debate topic back to this thread, Ownager.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Dude, do you even play this game? How many things can you be wrong about?

I spend half the time in the game hunting bounties, and I can tell you that I've had this happen dozens of times. I homing missile some bounty target's super car, and end up losing more money than I make.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

The armored Kuruma goes down in a well aimed RPG, you can shoot the driver or blow it up with a few stickies. They're not difficult to deal with at all.

Perhaps you should try passive mode if you're having a tough time with them.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Dont you understand????? Thats the whole loving problem!!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know what game you're playing but in GTA Online, the game this thread is about, a Kuruma costs like 9K to blow up. Setting a bounty on another player means blowing up their car costs nothing. What you're most likely doing is blowing someone up who is driving someone else's car.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FallinInTheBlak posted:

The armored Kuruma goes down in a well aimed RPG, you can shoot the driver or blow it up with a few stickies. They're not difficult to deal with at all.

Is there a reading comprehension problem going on around here?

The problem has nothing to do with how hard they are to kill, nor my ability to kill them. The fact I always DO kill them is why I pretty much never have a savings account, which is what I find obnoxious.

That and how they utterly break almost every contract mission in the game.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know what game you're playing but in GTA Online, the game this thread is about, a Kuruma costs like 9K to blow up. Setting a bounty on another player means blowing up their car costs nothing. What you're most likely doing is blowing someone up who is driving someone else's car.

This would explain it, and that's interesting; in almost every instance of this it's usually a group so yeah.

Still utterly obnoxious. They should nerf the hell out of it. And if they aren't going to, at least legally unlock the Duke of Death so there's at least a competitor.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 3, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Its almost like hes a goddamn retard lmao

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Buy shark cards.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Buy shark cards.

I mean he's not wrong. Rockstar desperately needs the money Ownager, you should do this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Buy shark cards.

Hackers keep raining money on my head, so poor Rockstar is pretty hosed

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Then quit bitching about what it costs to blow cars up lmaooo

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

So why are you complaining that you don't have enough money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

Then quit bitching about what it costs to blow cars up lmaooo

I almost get the feeling there's a "It's GTA gently caress BALANCE" perspective going on around here, to be honest

FallinInTheBlak posted:

So why are you complaining that you don't have enough money?

Because I think a system that punishes players for defending themselves is stupid as poo poo, as is a vehicle that is an I-Win button in every mission.

• Locked thread