Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've lived all over the US at this point and animal control vehicles differ a hell of a lot. And to be honest, if somebody is lurking outside my house at 2am I'm not going to carefully look amongst vehicles parked on the street or in my driveway for somebody official. He never knocked on the door. He never announced who he was. The lady had every right in the world to be freaked out.

Actually the fact that he didn't knock on the door immediately might even be taken as a good thing. Had he arrived and not heard any noise, should he have approached, knocked/rang the bell, woken up the household just to tell them that someone else had complained but he couldn't substantiate the claims so have a nice day? He arrived, assayed the situation, determined the problem was as legit as could be, went to knock/announce himself and got a load of crazy running after him.

If it happens at night a lot of people hesitate when it comes to things like courtesy of waking people up. I could easily see a bit of indecision as to how long to wait to determine the complaint is valid before waking up the household, he couldn't know that his every move from the moment he arrives is being watched like a hawk.

I can't imagine that when the psychobitch decided to approach him he wouldn't have stated he was with animal control. It's not like he grabbed the baton and shouted a warcry the second he saw her, after all - it wasn't until she had "tried to corner me near her backyard" as he put it. I doubt he was just dead silent during the entire exchange.

From how he described it, it probably went something like this. Perhaps OP can confirm or deny?

quote:

:cop: : <waits for 2 minute to establish the noise complaint is valid, approaches front door>

:gonk: : DAT MAH DOAH YOU NEBUH GUNNA WITH CREAM CHEESE WHILE YARGL BARGL WHOOP DE POOP

:cop: : Ma'am, I'm an animal control officer, there's been a noise comp-

:gonk: : YOU GON BE DE RAPEY WOLD TIME IN DOO CAMP! WHUNT YOU BE NAH?

:cop: : Lady, I'm just trying to talk to you about your dogs!

:gonk: : IMMA BUT MY rear end YOU CAP WIT THE DING DONG WHOSEY POSSUM DITTO IN MAH FREEDUMS!

khy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

khy posted:

Actually the fact that he didn't knock on the door immediately might even be taken as a good thing. Had he arrived and not heard any noise, should he have approached, knocked/rang the bell, woken up the household just to tell them that someone else had complained but he couldn't substantiate the claims so have a nice day?

Yes, actually, that is exactly what he should have done.

Some goons are like literally retarded. You don't just assume somebody standing outside your house staring at it at 2 am is a safe and innocent person.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've lived all over the US at this point and animal control vehicles differ a hell of a lot. And to be honest, if somebody is lurking outside my house at 2am I'm not going to carefully look amongst vehicles parked on the street or in my driveway for somebody official. He never knocked on the door. He never announced who he was. The lady had every right in the world to be freaked out.
Do you live in an area where somebody standing on the street needs to immediately identify themselves to every home in the immediate vicinity? Because he was standing in the street. Giving the dogs a couple minutes to quiet down on their own before intervening. In the street. Not on anyone's property. Not skulking through someone's bushes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You don't just assume somebody standing outside your house staring at it at 2 am is a safe and innocent person.

I'm not usually awake scanning the street at 2 AM for possible intruders/rapists/federales. Although thinking about it, I dont have multiple dogs barking at ungodly hours of the night so that could be one reason why.

And it's not like 2 minutes is a long time, oh inconsiderate goon. I would have at least given them five before either grabbing my keys for a psycho attack or (more likely) calling the police. Or pulling out my gun and mowing them down to bleed out in the gutter.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 2, 2015

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Op this thread has some potential for some nice stories and I think it's be better if you tried ask and tell for a wider audience. My two cents :shobon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Do you live in an area where somebody standing on the street needs to immediately identify themselves to every home in the immediate vicinity? Because he was standing in the street. Giving the dogs a couple minutes to quiet down on their own before intervening. In the street. Not on anyone's property. Not skulking through someone's bushes.

He was staring at their house. I don't care if you're passing by. If you are staring at my house at 2 am you better have a drat good reason for being out there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

He was staring at their house. I don't care if you're passing by. If you are staring at my house at 2 am you better have a drat good reason for being out there.

If I have a good reason (Valid noise complaint) and I approach your door to knock are you going to gun me down while I'm still approaching on the walk or would you at least give me the courtesy of being able to reach the door and press the bell/use the knocker before going full psycho on me?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

khy posted:

If I have a good reason (Valid noise complaint) and I approach your door to knock are you going to gun me down while I'm still approaching on the walk or would you at least give me the courtesy of being able to reach the door and press the bell/use the knocker before going full psycho on me?

No you loving moron. If you approach my door and knock I'm going to say "Hi what do you need?" and if you're courteous I will also be courteous. If you threaten me with a baton I will say "what the gently caress is wrong with you" and close the door. If you attack me, then I'm shooting you or stabbing you or whatever I have about to defend myself with.

Maybe I'll have to use a hammer

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Like standing outside waiting for a cab? Waiting for a friend? Smoking a cigarette? Coming out of my house to see why my rear end in a top hat neighbor won't shut their loving dogs up at 2am when I am trying to sleep? Like literally any of the hundreds of reasons a person might have to stand on a street, at which point their attention might be drawn to the two dogs incessantly barking at 2 in the morning?

Or of course maybe by 'drat good reason' you meant like 'being an animal control officer called out to check on a noise complaint'?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No you loving moron. If you approach my door and knock I'm going to say "Hi what do you need?" and if you're courteous I will also be courteous. If you threaten me with a baton I will say "what the gently caress is wrong with you" and close the door. If you attack me, then I'm shooting you or stabbing you or whatever I have about to defend myself with.

Maybe I'll have to use a hammer

Well then if you're not a crazy person who overreacts and goes psycho on people before they get a chance to knock/announce themselves why are you trying to defend one?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

khy posted:

Well then if you're not a crazy person who overreacts and goes psycho on people[...]
All evidence to the contrary of course.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I had a serious question, stop threadshitting :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ I hope your question is answered. I would like to note I am not thread making GBS threads. I am pointing out how completely unacceptable this dude's reaction was to people who don't seem to be able to understand this. Somehow.

khy posted:

Well then if you're not a crazy person who overreacts and goes psycho on people before they get a chance to knock/announce themselves why are you trying to defend one?

If you really think that threatening someone with a baton is an appropriate reaction when they are known to be mentally ill, you are absolutely fuckin nuts.

Slugworth posted:

Like standing outside waiting for a cab? Waiting for a friend? Smoking a cigarette? Coming out of my house to see why my rear end in a top hat neighbor won't shut their loving dogs up at 2am when I am trying to sleep? Like literally any of the hundreds of reasons a person might have to stand on a street, at which point their attention might be drawn to the two dogs incessantly barking at 2 in the morning?

Or of course maybe by 'drat good reason' you meant like 'being an animal control officer called out to check on a noise complaint'?

You don't stand there staring at somebody else's house at 2 am, on their side of the street, like some sort of nut job. And this person had no idea who the gently caress this guy was. That is my whole point. We are aware of what his retarded rear end was. She wasn't. Of course she freaked out. Anybody would. And this person is already known to be unstable or mentally ill in some way. You don't threaten an unarmed, scared person with a baton or any other weapon. If he'd have hit her he could've been jailed for assault.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

pleeeeeeeeease stoooooooop

this is not the subforum for debating the merits of batons and crazy people, this is the subforum for animals and yes animal control falls under that umbrella. I think a lot of interesting stories could have come from this thread if people didn't just tumble in to aggressively poo poo-post as soon as it started.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

how often did you light up during the course of a day

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Any happy ending horse stories?
As a kid I had a frequent daydream: a horse jumped its fence, got lost, and then I "had to" ride it bareback around the countryside to find the grateful owner, who was so grateful he let me ride the horse every day after that.

I vote for Birds of Prey and horse stories!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
im sorry for shitpost goodbirdmod ._. ACOs are always just a certain kind of person and I CANT HELP IT.

My latest questions were real questions though OP, I would legit like to know how the average ACO would handle those situations. I've always been anxious about getting hassled for (legally) having livestock on the edge of the suburbs and I'm curious to know if you guys get any kind of training on what a normal setup is for livestock/working dogs and how it differs from typical pet situations.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

OP is rude. I asked for stories and they ignored me :( smh

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Seconding Adventure in the Sandbox's adorable question!
I think it may have been in the midst of the internet poo flinging, so Flavor Truck may not have noticed and/or just abandoned the thread.
Hopefully not. I thought it was a great thread until the drama started up.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Flavor Truck posted:

If you aren't some sort of certified dog behavioral therapist or trainer, I would say No. It's sad.

Some important information for you pit bull crazies: http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/10-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf

The majority of reported dog bites that end in death are by pit bulls. The majority of dog bites that result in injury requiring hospitalization and health department intervention are by pit bulls. Pit bulls are bitey dogs. They just are. Sorry, pit bull lovers. You are in love with a bitey sort of dog and that's that.

:staredog: whoa that dogs bite blog person is pretty nuts. It links to the craven desires anti pit blog, which is even crazier. Wtf is it about these dogs that brings out such strong opinions

Did anyone ever try to keep a wolf as a dog

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

:staredog: whoa that dogs bite blog person is pretty nuts. It links to the craven desires anti pit blog, which is even crazier. Wtf is it about these dogs that brings out such strong opinions

people who dont like pit bulls are insane and people who do are also insane

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

adventure in the sandbox posted:

OP is rude. I asked for stories and they ignored me :( smh

OP (probably, but one can hope not) got driven away by the PI retards who will then whine about how PI is dying after they kill a thread that could've had good content.

Thank you super for your sperg on pit bulls. This could have been a constructive discussion with a former ACO about classification of breed, dog bite reporting, etc., but instead you just flail around about your furbabies.

Thank you fluffy bunnies for your over-reaction. It was established that the ACO only reached for a weapon after someone started yelling at them. In the situations ACOs find themselves in, if someone near where you were called at 2am starts yelling gibberish at you, it is prudent to be prepared to defend yourself.

And here I was going to ask things about budget for treatment of strays, per capita officers, etc. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i didnt sperg i asked the op to sperg

and he responded by linking to an HSUS video and a dogsbite.org page lmfao

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 3, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i asked v serious questions after that and I would still like to hear the answers!!

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 3, 2015

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
super you are going to jail he is reporting you rn

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

we all must face the end of days

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not even remotely. Hopefully they hired somebody that's good at their job and actually knows something about animals, but I doubt it. You're a shining example of the morons they hire to be ACOs in a hell of a lot of areas.

To be honest, that just makes my reaction worse. "Oh no. She had a key and a padlock and she's well known to be an untreated mentally ill person. I better put her in a situation where she feels threatened enough to attack me so I can beat the poo poo out of her or at least threaten to do that." She could've gone inside and come back out with a gun. You escalated the situation when you were in no direct danger because a padlock and keys might give you a goose egg if she has very very good aim (and since it was dark, she likely does not). If you're so loving stupid that you think lurking around someone's property in the dark, escalating the situation and threatening a (supposedly well-known, so I'm assuming you're right) mentally ill person with a baton when they are unarmed (a padlock and keys when she is outside is not being armed, you loving moron, it is carrying around typical yard things) then I hope you never have another job with any sort of authority and you get whatever therapy you need to solve your hosed up issues.

The best decision your city ever made was firing your stupid rear end. Your answers make you not only uneducated, but you are unfit for any sort of employment in that capacity if "threaten a person with a baton and a beating because they have a PADLOCK in their hand" is for real your response to your (incorrectly) perceived danger.

The most hilarious part of it is that she wasn't even threatening you. Hell, if I came out of my fence to investigate something I'd have a padlock and keys too because those are on my fence and I would carry them when I left my fence so I did not lose them like most people do when they have a padlock on their fence. So I guess that makes me dangerous enough to be threatened with police brutality for walking out of my yard to investigate what the lurker is doing near or on my property in the loving dark. gently caress you, guy.

lol

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Op come post *hold out hand* u come friend :) *pat seat next to me*

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Tell me about some of the birds of prey you've worked with. :3: Are owls are chill and dumb as youtube would lead me to believe?

The first owl I had ever seen up close had been either shot with a BB gun or zapped by a power line. It was trying to "hide" in the driveway it had fallen into by laying low and flat. I went up to it and gave it a little poke and it made a surprised WOO! noise. Those talons are insanely sharp. We were able to help the big dude get some help at a local sanctuary. I've had similar experiences with falcons and eagles, too.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

HelloSailorSign posted:

OP (probably, but one can hope not) got driven away by the PI retards who will then whine about how PI is dying after they kill a thread that could've had good content.

Thank you super for your sperg on pit bulls. This could have been a constructive discussion with a former ACO about classification of breed, dog bite reporting, etc., but instead you just flail around about your furbabies.

Thank you fluffy bunnies for your over-reaction. It was established that the ACO only reached for a weapon after someone started yelling at them. In the situations ACOs find themselves in, if someone near where you were called at 2am starts yelling gibberish at you, it is prudent to be prepared to defend yourself.

And here I was going to ask things about budget for treatment of strays, per capita officers, etc. :(

yeah in your professional work as a vet there's no way you could ever contact an ACO or someone who runs animal control in your area. it would literally be impossible. they would never want to talk to you.

can't blame them.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

HelloSailorSign posted:

a thread that could've had good content.

lmao the chance of this thread having good content died horribly as soon as he posted an HSUS video and link to loving DOGSBITE.ORG of all places. Anyone who buys into dogsbite.org has no business working with animals. Would not have been able to take anything else OP said seriously.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

I have more questions

How did you handle livestock complaints

For example: let's say someone calls you and tells you my paddocks are real muddy in March/April and that my pigs don't have water. You show up and I say "they don't have water because they drink out of the creek and if I give them water they sit in it, dump it out, Mosquitos lay eggs in it, the chickens come poo poo in it, the goats try to drink it and get sick, and that it actually turns into a health risk." Do you cite me for not having "clean water" out for them in this scenario y/n

No, because there is a reasonableness standard when it comes to enforcement. If my general questions about your care of the livestock don't raise red flags then it's fine. I often asked people to explain things to me so I could better understand them. With experience, you learn to call bullshit when people begin to tapdance around certain questions. Just using common sense will often lead you in the right direction.

quote:

Example two: Some gentle soul calls you, crying softly, over the fact that my dogs are outside a lot. I own springpoles, treadmills, weighing scales, books about dog fighting, and my two pit bulls have to be rotated so the don't kill each other and at a given time, one of them is probably gonna be in my yard, possibly on a secure chain setup. (Note: tethering is not illegal where I live.) do you see my treadmills, books, springpoles and medical supplies (Which are actually for livestock) and immediately tackle me, the words "GOTCHA DOGFIGHTUR" flying from ur lips with spittle, or do you have enough training to tell the fucken difference between a weird dog lady and a legitimate fighting situation?

Are people allowed to ask each other questions in your imaginary world or are they restricted to the hypothetical confines of a comic book wherein they must interpret every problem and make every decision at face value?

quote:

EXAMPLE THREE THEN IM DONE: I own a LGD. He has never been inside a house in his life. He was raised with goats and pigs and is generally filthy. His job is to run around my property and murder anything that fucks with livestock. He sleeps in a barn and eats poop. I bathe him a few times a year and give him his shots but that's it. A concerned mom sees him and calls you because I have a dog that is dirty and never comes inside ever!!!! He barks at strangers and is not friendly and looks filthy all the time. How do u handle this situation????

By your description, it sounds like you've obviously got a pretty :clint: dog. I'll put it this way: I was once sent to a neighborhood where the reporting party said that she saw a dog owner holding his dog down and drowning it with a hose. I knocked on the door and told the guy it was a long shot, but this is what I had heard. He told me that he was giving his bug-covered dog a bath after a long day at the lake, and the dog just hates the hose. Sounds good to me, your dog looks happy and fine too, just wanted to let you know that you've got neighbors who misinterpreted what you were doing. Thanks for playing, enjoy the rest of your evening. I gave the reporting party a call back to explain, and everyone's satisfied. A lot of times, that's just the way it was. If anything, those types of calls gave me the opportunity to get to know the neighborhood and its inhabitants a little bit better while at the same time giving the people who lived there a better sense of support from their local services.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Go on ahead. Thanks to everyone who PM'ed me about this thread. I'm not discouraged by shitposting in light of those who have legitimate questions. There's very little information out there on the day-to-day for ACOs and my positive experiences greatly outweighed the negative. I still volunteer at a local shelter and have lots of input on things like budgeting, treatment of strays by shelter size, etc.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Do you have nice stories about pets other than dogs and cats? Like finding a kid's lost bunny or something? :3:

Great question! I will begin this post with a photo of one of my rabbits.

Chill as gently caress forever, his name is Dr. Moose. That fat rear end in the background is his wife. They're both shelter buns.

I worked two Easters as a humane officer. Both times, we had reports of large white domestic rabbits running around the city. Apparently people thought it was cool to get big white rabbits for Easter, get bored of them, and let them loose outside for the birds to pick off. Not cool. A couple of people spotted a bonded couple of white rabbits hanging out in their backyard the day after Easter and called us. I netted each of them, and when I picked them up with gloved hands they each let out the death scream they normally reserve for being lifted off of the ground by birds of prey. :gonk: My rabbits have never done this and it freaked me out. It was hilarious how quickly they went back to calm, even breathing and temper seconds after I began holding them as I would my own rabbits. I brought about six or seven white rabbits to the shelter that following week and they were all adopted out or brought to our local rabbit sanctuary by the end of the month. :3:

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

The Big Whoop posted:

What were your qualifications when you got the job? What sort of training did you have to go through once you got it?

A valid question, and one I was almost always asked in court. The job required an associates degree at least, and for the person to be in active pursuit of a bachelor's degree in any field having to do with law enforcement or human services. A 32 hour certification course and regular interval training throughout the year by trained, certified vets was also required. The 'on the job' training period was two months long and we were almost always working in pairs.

Edit: Just so everybody knows, I'm ignoring the bad posters who think they know every intimate detail of my personal experience. It's not worth entertaining. Judging from the PM's I've been getting, most (if not all) of you understand this and I am happy to continue replying to your questions.

Flavor Truck fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 3, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Flavor Truck posted:

Edit: Just so everybody knows, I'm ignoring the bad posters who think they know every intimate detail of my personal experience. It's not worth entertaining. Judging from the PM's I've been getting, most (if not all) of you understand this and I am happy to continue replying to your questions.

Good plan :)

Just to be clear to everybody, the relaxed PI posting rules do not mean you're allowed to attack other posters, especially guests to our forum, over differences of opinion or experience. I try to avoid probating or banning people because I'd like us all to be friends here, but if people start abusing their rights to post here I will dole out punishment as necessary.

Please keep the questions and stories coming. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 3, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

No, because there is a reasonableness standard when it comes to enforcement. If my general questions about your care of the livestock don't raise red flags then it's fine. I often asked people to explain things to me so I could better understand them. With experience, you learn to call bullshit when people begin to tapdance around certain questions. Just using common sense will often lead you in the right direction.

That makes me feel a lot better. I hear so many horror stories that I've always wondered/worried.

quote:

Are people allowed to ask each other questions in your imaginary world or are they restricted to the hypothetical confines of a comic book wherein they must interpret every problem and make every decision at face value?

You could ask, but I doubt my answers would help much. "I have these things because I am interested in breed history" hasn't flown for a lot of people and people have even had weightpull trophies confiscated as dog fighting "evidence." Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to chill out an ACO in that scenario? "I know I have these books about dogfighting but I swear really for real that I'm just a nerd officer!!!!" doesn't seem like it would fly. If you say you'd listen to people that's cool though, good on you for not being kneejerk about things!

quote:

By your description, it sounds like you've obviously got a pretty :clint: dog. I'll put it this way: I was once sent to a neighborhood where the reporting party said that she saw a dog owner holding his dog down and drowning it with a hose. I knocked on the door and told the guy it was a long shot, but this is what I had heard. He told me that he was giving his bug-covered dog a bath after a long day at the lake, and the dog just hates the hose. Sounds good to me, your dog looks happy and fine too, just wanted to let you know that you've got neighbors who misinterpreted what you were doing. Thanks for playing, enjoy the rest of your evening. I gave the reporting party a call back to explain, and everyone's satisfied. A lot of times, that's just the way it was. If anything, those types of calls gave me the opportunity to get to know the neighborhood and its inhabitants a little bit better while at the same time giving the people who lived there a better sense of support from their local services.

Awesome, this makes me feel better. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions in spite of my shitposting. :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

Great question! I will begin this post with a photo of one of my rabbits.

Chill as gently caress forever, his name is Dr. Moose. That fat rear end in the background is his wife. They're both shelter buns.

This is the most Noble and Lordly bunny I have ever seen. :3:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
No wolf dogs, or hybrids? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
How much rabies is in your state. Have to ever seen a person or someone's dear pet become violently rabid Cujo-style?

• Locked thread