Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

queeb posted:

Oh god I've never played this for more than 5 minutes before and now there's so much poo poo I dont even know where to start. I'm guessing the wiki is a good place to begin when trying to figure out what to do in the beginning? I found a chest and ended up with a silver pick, not sure how many tiers I skipped with that but it's pretty awesome.
Bunch of tips here: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Terraria. Some may now be outdated. Also with the "check with the Guide", you can place items (marked with the descriptor "Material") into his "inventory" and he will tell you what they can make with other materials. Very useful.

General tips for you, from my experience:
1) Go to the wiki and read at least this page: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/House. Always have at least one house not taken by an NPC so that another can move in.
2) Don't play on Expert until you've mastered Normal Hardmode, which you won't be ready for until you've mastered Normal non-Hardmode. Play on softcore always.
3) When you find a chest in the world, you can knock it loose with your pick and bring it back. I like to keep one chest of each type to help keep my poo poo organized in my main "house".
4) Gather money. A merchant NPC will come once you get enough of it, then you can start selling stuff.
5) If you're really feeling directionless, check out this part of the wiki: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Getting_started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It seems like yoyos are so good that there's almost no reason to use most swords anymore? I'm not sure what the hardmode yoyo situation looks like but pre-hardmode all the best swords I used to be excited about seem strictly outclassed.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems like yoyos are so good that there's almost no reason to use most swords anymore? I'm not sure what the hardmode yoyo situation looks like but pre-hardmode all the best swords I used to be excited about seem strictly outclassed.

some swords are still....decent

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lakitu7 posted:

Get yourself an Eye of Cthulhu and never have to worry about melee ever again. 115 base damage means everything dies.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

Getting lucky with an enchanted sword could help or I still like the Muramasa or Katana. But yeah yoyos rule Terraria.

symbolic posted:

Get yourself an Eye of Cthulhu and never have to worry about melee ever again. 115 base damage means everything dies.

Wait until you get the Terrarian :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Early on you can fish up a Falcon Blade and that's going to be better than any yoyo you'll see before hardmode. Especially if the skeleton merchant is being a jerk and not showing up.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lakitu7 posted:

Meowmere and Star Wrath are pretty good.

Not as conventional swords, but they're pretty good.

I need to get a Last Prism, though. Kamehameha-ing is fun.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Remember you can rename chests by clicking the Rename button to the right of the chest's inventory. Then it will display the name whenever you mouse over it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

benzine posted:

Wait until you get the Terrarian :getin:

"190 melee damage"
"it fires projectiles at a rapid rate that home in on nearby enemies"
:stare:

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Bye bye 1.2 world. Time to do something grander!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The exploding whip-sword you can make out of solar fragments is very nice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pon alien posted:

The exploding whip-sword you can make out of solar fragments is very nice.

Just don't use it in your house because the burning debuff it causes spreads and kills npcs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For pre-hard mode weapons I really like the Starfury.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Here's my place, complete with creepy basement. I haven't gotten very far in the game yet

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

Early on you can fish up a Falcon Blade and that's going to be better than any yoyo you'll see before hardmode. Especially if the skeleton merchant is being a jerk and not showing up.

I assume that the skeleton merchant is a rare creature and my REK 3000 will show it? Is there any special secret to finding one? Is it just a rare spawn like the bound goblin, lost girl and such? Does it stay around if you leave the area or does it despawn?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I just got back into this game and I fought the eye of cthulu by building myself a neat little box to shoot out of at him.

Entirely forgetting he passes right through walls.

Dying trapped in that box traumatized me. Next time I'll do the proper strategy of building a couple levels of platforms, not sure how I mixed that strat up even after a year away

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Spelunker Glowsticks are basically permanent Spelunker Potions.(well, except for you dont see the exact type of ore) Holy crap it changes the early game so much. And only 1.5 silver!

Mrit fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 3, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I assume that the skeleton merchant is a rare creature and my REK 3000 will show it? Is there any special secret to finding one? Is it just a rare spawn like the bound goblin, lost girl and such? Does it stay around if you leave the area or does it despawn?

I dug a trench from one edge of the map to the other at about lava level... twice before I found him. I haven't gone looking for him again.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Eric the Mauve posted:

For pre-hard mode weapons I really like the Starfury.

That's what I am currently using. Managed to find a legendary one to play with and it is super helpful when I want to hide in my holes and still kill mobs. I have yet to find a yoyo anywhere though and don't want to let myself down by crafting a wood one.

So should I make platinum armor or should I hold on to it for later? At this point I am running around in a rain coat dressed like a Pharoah.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Finished my runway through hell.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

I dug a trench from one edge of the map to the other at about lava level... twice before I found him. I haven't gone looking for him again.

Finally found him randomly. Hunter potion does light him up, though. Edit: he is not considered a rare creature.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
If we're posting bases, here's my big dumb unfinished tower:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Meowmere and Star Wrath are pretty good.

Not as conventional swords, but they're pretty good.

I need to get a Last Prism, though. Kamehameha-ing is fun.

Trade you a Last Prism for an endless bucket of water.

And the charged blaster cannon you get from the flying saucer boss is more of a kamehameha than the Last Prism.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

:negative:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kazil posted:

I've got one but it was in a hardmode dungeon. Doesn't mean it has to be hardmode, just how I got mine.

The materials list for the cell phone are dumb though. Somehow managed to make the Ankh Shield look sane to build by comparison.

Really? I'm already almost done, just need two of the angler items and a radar. (Which could probably also be picked up by fishing using crate potions)

Ankh shield meanwhile is a bunch of rare drops from hardmode enemies spread over all the biomes.

Spergminer posted:

Also if you're a Steam achievement whore like me, don't do fisher quests yet. While it tracks quests in-game quests just fine, Steam isn't tracking them at all.

Good little slave triggered for me.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For all the quality of life improvements there've been, fishing is still dumb because you have to hunt down bait manually. The Dryad sells acorns so you don't have to wait to get them from trees. I'd fish more and actually do the Angler's quest if he at least sold Worms to use. I'd rather be doing anything than hunting Worms during a rainstorm.

That said, dude at least gave me the Fish Hook for doing my first quest. It might be the dumbest grappling hook in the game and I love it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

ChibiSoma posted:

For all the quality of life improvements there've been, fishing is still dumb because you have to hunt down bait manually. The Dryad sells acorns so you don't have to wait to get them from trees. I'd fish more and actually do the Angler's quest if he at least sold Worms to use. I'd rather be doing anything than hunting Worms during a rainstorm.

That said, dude at least gave me the Fish Hook for doing my first quest. It might be the dumbest grappling hook in the game and I love it.

Worms aren't that bad. If you make a new world and then just break all the rocks on the surface you'll get tons of worms.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Wow, something in the Jungle just coughed up the Jungle Key for me. I haven't even beaten one of the mecha bosses yet! :stare:

EDIT: v Yeah, I went down into the dungeon and it wouldn't open. I guess it would have been a little absurd to have something that strong so early on.

LightningSquid fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 3, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

LightningSquid posted:

Wow, something in the Jungle just coughed up the Jungle Key for me. I haven't even beaten one of the mecha bosses yet! :stare:

the keys don't work until Plantera is dead ("This key is cursed by a powerful Jungle creature")

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I clearly haven't played in ages--went to make a bed as I recall that changes your spawn point. But I guess you need a loom to make silk now?

Forgotten so many things about gardening and building a base. I think the last time I played there weren't trap doors or traps or anything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jet Jaguar posted:

I clearly haven't played in ages--went to make a bed as I recall that changes your spawn point. But I guess you need a loom to make silk now?

Forgotten so many things about gardening and building a base. I think the last time I played there weren't trap doors or traps or anything.

You can find beds under ground or in dungeons too and just steal those if you don't want to bother with a loom. You can also find looms underground and steal those.

In fact I don't think I've crafted a single thing I've placed in my base yet.

symbolic posted:

"190 melee damage"
"it fires projectiles at a rapid rate that home in on nearby enemies"
:stare:

Someone I played with online gave me one. It's amazing for blood moons when I just don't want to deal with actually trying anymore and just sit there holding it out while everything dies. I'm pretty sure the projectiles do just as much damage as the actual yo-yo its self. I used it to farm up stuff on the eater of worlds later and it was just sad, it never even hit me and just kept running straight into its own death.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 3, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

..god drat it Red, I'm pretty sure back-to-back solar eclipses defy the laws of physics

but noooooo, I have to fight mothron 12 loving times in a row.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ChibiSoma posted:

Bait is sort of something you snag while you're doing other things. I keep a bug net on my hotbar and just scoop up any little thing I see running around. Usually come back to base with three to five different bait critters from a serious exploring/spelunking session, then snag another few fireflies just around my base.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I crafted the yoyo accessory and all I can say is :catstare: I think I need to farm the Kraken first before getting the next one

Also, always keep a bug net with you because sometimes you'll run into gold versions of bugs/animals like a Gold Rabbit or Gold worm, which you can sell to any vendor for 10 gold.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The sword I'm using is my favorite I've ever had, pre-hardmode. I got it from one of those sword-in-the-stone deals, not the Enchanted Blade. It's called Arkhalis.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Arkhalis

You just hold it down, and it will hit an enemy in melee range about four times a second. And you can aim it a full 180 degrees vertical, so incoming spells will never hit you. I'm gonna be sad when going to hardmode and having to put this aside.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Two questions; how do NPCs work in regards to multiplayer? I'm planning on running a game over steam for my brother and I too play. I wanna know if we both get our own set of NPCs to work with or its just one per world.

Second, is there an easy way to transport huge amounts of liquid in this game? I never tried before but for my ~vanity housing~ I had an idea that involves a moat. It occurred to me that I've literally never transported any liquid though, so I have no clue how it works.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Two questions; how do NPCs work in regards to multiplayer? I'm planning on running a game over steam for my brother and I too play. I wanna know if we both get our own set of NPCs to work with or its just one per world.

Second, is there an easy way to transport huge amounts of liquid in this game? I never tried before but for my ~vanity housing~ I had an idea that involves a moat. It occurred to me that I've literally never transported any liquid though, so I have no clue how it works.

NPCs are locked to the world you find them in, so killing skeletron on World X won't unlock the Old man on World Y.

If you need a ton of water get the bottomless bucket from the Anglers quests or create a convoluted pumping system that dupes water for you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Internet Kraken posted:

One set of NPCs per world.

You can generate infinite liquid by following this guide. I haven't tested it in 1.3 yet but it worked in 1.2.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think two Nurses will spawn if you're in multiplayer, but only one of the rest of them. And the Nurses thing might not even be true any more, it's been a very long time since I saw that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is expert intended to be played with a new character, or is it sort of a NG+ after hardmode? I don't want to play through a normal world and have everything be too easy when I try out expert.