Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Yesterday is a 2012 adventure game by Pendulo Studios. Oddly, it’s called New York Crimes in Spain even though the majority of the game isn’t even in America. Originally an iTunes App, this game is notable for a particularly userfriendly interface and a completely wack-a-doodle plot. I wish I could go into more detail but I think it's best to discover the silliness of the plot yourself as the game progresses.

The prequel/sequel, Yesterday: Origins, is in development.

How the LP will work?
It’s going to be a little experimental, actually. Because I have beaten the game and know all its puzzles, I could easily speedrun it, however there’s no fun in that. Instead I will ask my guests to solve the puzzles. I’ll be rotating guests every episode or two. I think it's fun to see how different people approach puzzle solving and whose the most adept at adventure game logic.

This game refused to be windowed so I had to create a complicated set up to make it work. Unfortunately, this means the LP is going to be recordings of streams so the audio balancing might not be great. I'll work on fixing that, though.

How would I guest?
If you want to guest, that'd be great! However I strongly prefer people I've talked with on twitter or who have been in other videos so I can see first hand you're not a gross clown. DM me on here or tweet at me @ThatPazuzu if you're interested. I have a bunch of people lined up so if I turn you down, take it very personally and doxx me.

Rules
Don’t spoil, dummys! Please, feel free to discuss your therories or whatever, but hold your tongue if you actually know.

Updates!
Episode 0 – ThatPazuzu explains it all. (Watch this if you didn't read the OP, otherwise skip it.)

Episode 1-1 – BeamSplashX and I stare at a gate for no god drat reason.
Episode 1-2 – BeamSplashX and I become chess champions.

Episode 2-1 – Devious Vacuum, Jordan Mallory, and I attempt a sweet dunk.
Episode 2-2 – Jordon Mallory, Devious Vacuum, and I learn about the Satanist mother.

Episode 3 – ToastWhisperer and I admire some nipples.

Episode 4-1 – Dame Has Class and I master the four elements.
Episode 4-2 – Dame Has Class and I unlock our inner ninja.

Episode 5 – Bob and I take the Chūnin Exams.

Episode 6-1 – Voidburger and I go on a learning adventure.
Episode 6-2 – Voidburger and I axe you a question

Episode 7-1 – Skippy Granola and I learn basic hygiene.
Episode 7-2 – Skippy Granola and I master the ability to LP in the dark.
Episode 7-3 – Skippy Granola and I finish the game.

Alternate ending compilation.

Bonus
Episode 6-1 [Old Man Yells At Cloud Edition]– Geop and I are free, free fallin'.
Episode 6-2 [Old Man Yells At Cloud Edition] – Geop and I firewalk.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is this the long-awaited spiritual sequel to Hopkins FBI?

edit: The 1-2 video has no sound; I'm assuming that's something being wrong and not EXPERIMENTAL, right?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 1, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Is this the long-awaited spiritual sequel to Hopkins FBI?

edit: The 1-2 video has no sound; I'm assuming that's something being wrong and not EXPERIMENTAL, right?

Yuuuup, I thought I fixed that earlier.

Edit: I'm encoding the correct version now, I should have it ready soon.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 1, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

And now it's back up. Sorry.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Opening the lock with that piece of a soda can was weird. Also, it looked like there was something missing between the two episodes.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Opening the lock with that piece of a soda can was weird. Also, it looked like there was something missing between the two episodes.

Huh, you're right. I really should have double checked these updates. It's missing 4 seconds of video for some reason. I'll put on a fixed version tonight.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is probably the stupidest adventure game I have ever played. It's even weirder than Pendulos previous games.
But I really love it when point and click adventures think of alternative text for weird item combinations, rather than saying "This doesn't work.". It adds so much flavor and feels less tedious.

ThatPazuzu posted:

The prequel, Yesterday: Origins, is in development.
Why?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I don't know. Also I was half-wrong. It isn't just a prequel, it's a a sequel too. It follows the events of this game and you also get to play during Spanish Inquisition. I was misled because all the promotional stuff is just for the Spanish Inquisition part.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's... unexpected.

Toast Whisperer
May 12, 2015
I'm fairly interested in the concept you have going here.
Also seeing how far the rabbit hole goes, plot wise.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Do you have all your guests lined-up, or are you still accepting volunteers?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you have all your guests lined-up, or are you still accepting volunteers?

I'm asking people I know to guest but volunteers are welcome. I'd strongly prefer people who have either talked with me online or have been in videos before just so I can see first hand that they're not unfunny grossos. If anyone's interested they can DM me or message me on twitter @ThatPazuzu.

If anyone is curious: my next guests are Anoia, who was in my Soul Suspect LP, and then Devious Vacuum, a cool person, but the rest are still open

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Using a shim cut from a soda can to open a padlock is a real thing. Though it only works on pretty crappy padlocks.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Huh, I learned a thing. I thought the specificity of the shape meant the shim probably wasn't designed by Pendulo but didn't realize it was a real world lock pick.

Anyway, I'll try to update the thread Wednesday. If you want to make God laugh, try to schedule time to record a Let's Play.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Sorry for the delay. I'll be uploading the second part tomorrow but for now let's enjoy a particularly gruesome update! The first hints of how weird and goofy this game is start to come up in this episode.

Episode 2-1 – Jordan Mallory, Devious Vacuum, and I attempt a sweet dunk.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 11, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That ending... :aaa:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I think the toy you're talking about is from Pendulo's "Hollywood Monsters", which definitely fits the description of "came and went unnoticed".

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
I'm loving the visual style here.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Here's the second part of the update! I hope you all enjoy massive dialog trees! Also, I think I've said this game is French in either this video or the last one. Actually the game is Spanish and the publisher is French and I got confused. Oopsy!

Yesterday #2-2: Devious Vacuum, Jordon Mallory, and I learn about the Satanist mother. There's so much dialog in this episode that the thumbnail I created for it is the Galt Speech pasted over and over.

By the way, in this episode we get to meet the main character, John Yesterday! He's a sad dracula.

Abitha Denton posted:

I'm loving the visual style here.

The art in this game is pretty nice although sometimes tonally inconsistent.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 11, 2015

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
This story is insane. But I have to admit, I'm hooked.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ThatPazuzu posted:

Here's the second part of the update! I hope you all enjoy massive dialog trees!

I especially enjoyed the video thumbnail.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

gschmidl posted:

I especially enjoyed the video thumbnail.

It's the little touches.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

UPDATE

Episode #3: ToastWhisperer and I admire some nipples. This episode is pretty long because there really isn't a natural place to cut it two.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Did they seriously use the same crowd noise as the stalemate audio from TF2 for the crowd of mannequins in 1-2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zqr7crXp0
It is definitely that same dude saying "unbelievable!"

E: Also they hosed up the chess puzzles. In the first one, pawn to F7 isn't a valid move, and the explanation for why is the reason why you can't make the move pawn to E7. In the second puzzle pretty much every hint is wrong. For rook to G5, it claims the black king can take your rook or escape to H4, but H4 is threatened by the rook on F4. His legal move is taking the rook on G5. For bishop to D1 it says the king would move to H4, but H4 is still threatened. His legal move is taking the rook on G6 since it's no longer covered by the bishop on C2. Bishop to F5 is also wrong, again with a suggested move to H4. The reason why it's wrong is that after you move to F5, he moves his rook to F8. You then cannot checkmate him from that position and have put your rook on F4 in jeopardy. Last puzzle was fine.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 14, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Did they seriously use the same crowd noise as the stalemate audio from TF2 for the crowd of mannequins in 1-2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zqr7crXp0
It is definitely that same dude saying "unbelievable!"

E: Also they hosed up the chess puzzles. In the first one, pawn to F7 isn't a valid move, and the explanation for why is the reason why you can't make the move pawn to E7. In the second puzzle pretty much every hint is wrong. For rook to G5, it claims the black king can take your rook or escape to H4, but H4 is threatened by the rook on F4. His legal move is taking the rook on G5. For bishop to D1 it says the king would move to H4, but H4 is still threatened. His legal move is taking the rook on G6 since it's no longer covered by the bishop on C2. Bishop to F5 is also wrong, again with a suggested move to H4. The reason why it's wrong is that after you move to F5, he moves his rook to F8. You then cannot checkmate him from that position and have put your rook on F4 in jeopardy. Last puzzle was fine.

Ahahaha. Amazing, as you can see in the most recent video, the gently caress up an important item description too. Man, thanks for putting the effort in to post this. I usually try to work out these kind of things but just trust it when the game says I'm wrong.

Can you add time codes to those videos? I'm really bad at listening closely and didn't notice a stolen sound effect.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThatPazuzu posted:

Ahahaha. Amazing, as you can see in the most recent video, the gently caress up an important item description too. Man, thanks for putting the effort in to post this. I usually try to work out these kind of things but just trust it when the game says I'm wrong.

Can you add time codes to those videos? I'm really bad at listening closely and didn't notice a stolen sound effect.

I doubt it's stolen, Valve uses stock sound effects plenty, I imagine they both got it from the same SFX provider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zqr7crXp0&t=29s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSoHgH56JoU&t=2m7s

Also, all the SOLUTIONS are correct in the chess puzzle, they just tell you the wrong reason when you select an incorrect answer quite often. I suspect someone made the puzzle and then a different person did hint text.

E: About you not saying the game is subtle; by video game writing standards, it is at least fairly good at not telling you things you can figure out. Most games would have had Henry be like "I see, he's crazy because his son died when this train crashed!" or something, and would have directly had Henry say "I see, there are no rats because this is a Rigged Witch Trial, because this is like a Witch Trial". It's not much but it's something.

I'm more confused as to why Henry has Yesterday investigating this stuff since it seems like he's into the murderin'. If this is a bluff it's a pretty absurd one.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 15, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I doubt it's stolen, Valve uses stock sound effects plenty, I imagine they both got it from the same SFX provider.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Zqr7crXp0&t=29s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSoHgH56JoU&t=2m7s

Also, all the SOLUTIONS are correct in the chess puzzle, they just tell you the wrong reason when you select an incorrect answer quite often. I suspect someone made the puzzle and then a different person did hint text.

E: About you not saying the game is subtle; by video game writing standards, it is at least fairly good at not telling you things you can figure out. Most games would have had Henry be like "I see, he's crazy because his son died when this train crashed!" or something, and would have directly had Henry say "I see, there are no rats because this is a Rigged Witch Trial, because this is like a Witch Trial". It's not much but it's something.

I'm more confused as to why Henry has Yesterday investigating this stuff since it seems like he's into the murderin'. If this is a bluff it's a pretty absurd one.

I'm glad you're getting into it. And, yeah, "stolen" was a bad choice of words.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Update with Dame Has Class! We master the four elements in this video.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

People don't seem super interested but gently caress it, this LP train is gonna keep on chugging. Here's an enticing peek at today's update!

This may be a dumb edit I did for the thumbnail

Anyway, watch Dame Has Class and I unlock our inner ninja.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh, I missed an update. Well, I'll just watch both videos then.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm watching with interest and bemusement, there just wasn't that much to say about the last video beyond :psyduck:.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
My problem is mostly that I played this trainwreck before, so I am not that surprised by it.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

gschmidl posted:

I'm watching with interest and bemusement, there just wasn't that much to say about the last video beyond :psyduck:.

Reminder: This game is dedicated to the homeless.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Bob and I take the Chūnin Exams.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I am enjoying and following this LP, just haven't had much to talk about. Never played this game, but I like it, and I like the Master in the latest video.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding 4-1:
Why is John so reluctant to explain poo poo to people? "Oh, I can't tell my psuedo girlfriend that I didn't meet up with her because I was almost murdered and have amnesia, better just pretend I'm an rear end in a top hat and ditched her for no reason." Who cares if she might not believe you, what's she going to do, hate you MORE? Also, Henry better have an amazing explanation for why he not only saved Yesterday but attempted to help him remember that he's his enemy. It's kind of a nice touch that Cooper models his mean guy torture act on that scoutmaster he hates.

Regarding 4-2:
I swear to god if Henry did all this poo poo just to find the diary and then didn't have his lackey just pop him in the head...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Re the last video: WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS GAME, seriously, this is more disjointed than anything I've seen.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Regarding 4-1:
Why is John so reluctant to explain poo poo to people? "Oh, I can't tell my psuedo girlfriend that I didn't meet up with her because I was almost murdered and have amnesia, better just pretend I'm an rear end in a top hat and ditched her for no reason." Who cares if she might not believe you, what's she going to do, hate you MORE?

Except he does then go explain it to her in that very episode, as soon as he's found the diary. It makes sense - he probably wouldn't have wanted to risk her throwing him out before he found it. Though she did actually believe him, which is also nice. I am generally quite surprised at how this game dodges the cliches and seems reasonably well researched.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

The reason I decided to LP this isn't because I thought it was particularly good but rather that the story goes all over the place. Speaking of which, here's the first part of a two part update.

Geop and I are free, free fallin'.

Edit: Huh, maybe there was a problem when uploading it to youtube but the video is, like, a second too short. I'm not going to reupload it because it's just four more frames of him falling and then blackness.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Around the part of the train your voice is gone and Geop just rambles around on his own. Was that intentional? Either way, it was quite funny.

The protagonist is a really trusting person. He just commited suicide because a crazy hobo told him he would be alright.

• Locked thread