Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Greataval posted:

After my work on Dc-10 i was so happy to get moved off of that platform to newer airplane with modern Avionics and better design electrical systems.

Does thinking about the #2 reverser PDM trigger you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Dannywilson posted:

E-3 Sentry tail number 83-0009.

Not pictured: 15 maintainers screaming at it because of all of the gremlins.

First I've heard of it. What's so notorious about this hangar queen?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I wanna say Balls 9 has a notorious rep for electrical issues.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Electrical, 1553 data bus, basically anything with wires.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Yeah. While over Baghdad it had seven generators fail simultaneously and the eighth died a quick death. The crew got some of them back. After a month or so CENTAF was so fed up with how much money was being spent trying to fix that pig it went home. Roughly two months in-theater...all generators had been replaced more than once, but fortunately no repeats of the big failure. On the way home it got stuck at Lakenheath for something electrical for several weeks. It continued having problems at Tinker, then came the TDY to Langley I described above.

Dannywilson posted:

E-3 Sentry tail number 83-0009.

This sumbitch right here:

Not pictured: 15 maintainers screaming at it because of all of the gremlins.

I might have actually been working that airshow too. I'd have to check, but I was there for either that one or the year after, and we were parked facing west next to the RJ. Usually we would be letting people walk through, but the Nellis ground crew decided not to empty the loving lavatory so it stewed in the Nevada summer for two days prior to the show starting and the flight crew that showed up to open it almost threw up opening the door.

Edit: When we heard a jet hit hard and caught fire at Nellis, my second thought was "I hope it's loving Balls 9." I wasn't the only one. That was the last E-3 the USAF purchased, but it was the biggest piece of poo poo for a while. That poo poo rotates around, though. But 1407 (the first) will forever be by favorite.

Edit: Holy poo poo, they hadn't covered the windows yet.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 3, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

^Yeah. While over Baghdad it had seven generators fail simultaneously and the eighth died a quick death. The crew got some of them back. After a month or so CENTAF was so fed up with how much money was being spent trying to fix that pig it went home. Roughly two months in-theater...all generators had been replaced more than once, but fortunately no repeats of the big failure. On the way home it got stuck at Lakenheath for something electrical for several weeks. It continued having problems at Tinker, then came the TDY to Langley I described above.

What, you're telling me Boeing is exempt from lemon laws? :v:

Booblord Zagats posted:

Can confirm, did that poo poo all the time back when BF 1942: Desert Combat was the game to play and only 1 in 50 people knew how to fly the helicopters

Oh man the apache and LB in DC were my jam. Snagging the lil bird on El Al then hauling rear end all NOE style to the iraqi's side to jump->slide->grab the flag->renter the heli and run was the bestest. Until...

Psion posted:

some jerk got a Stinger kit pickup and ruined your life
:argh:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The 70s-built AWACS were mostly solid, and a few were indestructible. The 80's models were all varying levels of poo poo.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Went to the Midway today. Oh man it's awesome! Got to talk to a bunch of cool vets (including an F4U pilot :swoon:) and see a bunch of cool airplanes. I also remember why I didn't take the job on the Intrepid because I had to pretty much kneel throughout the belowdecks. Being 6'5 doesn't work well on these ships.

I'll post pictures when I get back home next week.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

holocaust bloopers posted:

The 70s-built AWACS were mostly solid, and a few were indestructible. The 80's models were all varying levels of poo poo.

do you know if the JASDF E-767s are any good or are they also plagued by problems? I mean it's the same equipment on a different airframe so I could see it going either way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Psion posted:

do you know if the JASDF E-767s are any good or are they also plagued by problems? I mean it's the same equipment on a different airframe so I could see it going either way.

I would imagine that, by virtue of being a newer airframe, that the 767s have less jet issues. I can't speculate on the mission equipment purely because that wasn't my area.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
It felt like a cathedral inside when I got to tour one.

e: "SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!"

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 3, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

What, you're telling me Boeing is exempt from lemon laws? :v:

Boeing blamed a string of electrical problems (across multiple jets) on the mission crew plugging in too many laptops (which were used to view the Air Tasking Order, "chat" command and control info, the navigator's poo poo, etc. Not personal laptops, literal mission-requirement laptops. We stopped carrying half of them because the AF doesn't have balls.

Psion posted:

I assume their mission computer is garbage but the radar is pretty solid.

I've only seen pictures, but yeah they're big. 4 scopes plus a wider aisle than the E-3, which is only 3 wide. Must be a TON of room for gear, which is wasted because they don't deploy and try to haul back as much foreign beer as possible.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

MAINZ, Germany — The families of passengers killed when a jet was deliberately crashed in the French Alps are "appalled" by a compensation offer made by Germanwings and parent company Lufthansa, according to their lawyers.

"The reactions ranged from blank horror and rage to despair and bitterness," Elmar Giemulla, a lawyer representing families of 35 victims, told NBC News.

Lufthansa this week made an offer of 25,000 euros ($27,700) per victim and an additional 10,000 euros ($11,110) payment to each close relative as compensation for immaterial damage. This would come in addition to the 50,000 euros ($55,540) per victim that Lufthansa had paid out as an immediate support in the days after the crash. Potential compensation for material damages has yet to be determined.

According to representatives for the Germanwings families, compensation after the crash of an Air France Concorde in 2000 was about 1 million euros per victim.

Lufthansa is really doing themselves absolutely no favors with this crash by pissing off victim's families.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

.Must be a TON of room for gear, which is wasted because they don't deploy and try to haul back as much foreign beer as possible.

That is absolutely not wasted space, the grand Air Force tradition of smuggling beer is alive in some parts of the world at least

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

That is absolutely not wasted space, the grand Air Force tradition of smuggling beer is alive in some parts of the world at least

I still find it funny that it's common practice (at least in Norway) for customs agents to be waiting pierside when a navy or coast guard vessel returns from a foreign port. Smuggler hunting one day, inspected for contraband the next.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Tsuru posted:

And there's not much you can do about high wing loading being one of its design "features".

Pet peeve of mine: Wing loading is a poor indicator of sustained turn capability (beyond very general approximations). The F-4 has lower wing loading than the F-16, but the F-16 is a lot turnier than the Phantom.

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 3, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Lufthansa is really doing themselves absolutely no favors with this crash by pissing off victim's families.
I assume whatever is paid to the families is probably coming from LH's insurance company?

The people that need the money the most are the ones most likely to jump at the stupid lowball first offer and release them of further liability.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah but Japan doesn't deploy. So that space is wasted on them. If the US were flying that 767, customs would have to be beefed up to have enough man hours to rip through it like they do with E-3s.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Solar Impulse just landed about an hour ago, smashing the old record for longest solo flight and setting a new one at ~4.something days. That's a very impressive achievement as your brain starts doing weird things in isolation, especially coupled with those kinds of sleep demands. I was half expecting him to pitch the thing in to the sea after day 3.

Edit: they're claiming 120 hours which would make 5 days

Final(ish) approach in to Hawaii. My guess is that they got to Hawaii early and then circled around until they hit 120 hours before landing.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 3, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This is old by internet standards, but how accurate is this?

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/report-in-test-dogfight-f-35-gets-waxed-by-f-16/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

"If this plane was full of first class-priced seats like the Concorde was, you'd be getting more money. But you flew our version of Southwest, so you're lucky you're not just getting flight vouchers."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's been bouncing around this thread - both the David Axe hatchet job and the original report - and the general consensus is that while there are some very definite issues with the F-35 in this test, take them with a grain of salt because the reason why this test was conducted in the first place was to try and figure out how best to remedy them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Cold War Airpower thread has recent discussion

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think I saw a P-38 today. It had twin engine booms and tricycle landing gear. It looked an awful lot like one (WWII aircraft sperg as a kid) but I'm willing to concede that it was something else since I have no idea why a P-38 would be flying with gear down over mid-Michigan.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the ATC term for the area a jet occupies when the passengers deplane using stairs and then walk in to the terminal? When it pulls up to gate you just say "gate X, terminal Y" or "jetway Z", but there seems to be strictly defined parking spaces at Frankfurt, Schiphol and all those smaller airports Ryanair uses with paint markings on the ground.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think I saw a P-38 today. It had twin engine booms and tricycle landing gear. It looked an awful lot like one (WWII aircraft sperg as a kid) but I'm willing to concede that it was something else since I have no idea why a P-38 would be flying with gear down over mid-Michigan.

Twin booms and a tail between? Yeah there's not much else it could have been other than a P-61 which is even rarer (and apparently none flying at the moment), that's a pretty distinctive layout.

What color was it?

E: Wiki lists one flying P-38 out of Minnesota, that could be it.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 3, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Enourmo posted:

Twin booms and a tail between? Yeah there's not much else it could have been other than a P-61 which is even rarer (and apparently none flying at the moment), that's a pretty distinctive layout.

What color was it?

E: Wiki lists one flying P-38 out of Minnesota, that could be it.

It looks like it could be Ruff Stuff, it was tanish.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

What is the ATC term for the area a jet occupies when the passengers deplane using stairs and then walk in to the terminal? When it pulls up to gate you just say "gate X, terminal Y" or "jetway Z", but there seems to be strictly defined parking spaces at Frankfurt, Schiphol and all those smaller airports Ryanair uses with paint markings on the ground.

Pretty sure those are uncontrolled areas of the field as far as ATC goes?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ground traffic control, then? Sorry my terminology expertise begins and ends with "balls"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I don't know about ATC, but gates are generally numbered with the terminal taken in to account. So when you as a passenger are departing from gate 32, everyone airside refers to that gate as 332 if it's terminal 3, or 532 if it's terminal 5, etc. If there's multiple parking spots or lead-in lines painted on the ground at a given gate, ground/terminal control will tell you to proceed to gate 212a or 212b or whatever lead in line they want you to use.
Remote stands / bussing gates are less universally defined I think.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 3, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Hadlock posted:

At least in the US, they're usually just called "gate XX" if the airport just uses straight numbers, but some airports have parking spots/gates labeled with a mix of letters and numbers (N12C, Q15, A8 etc...), so they're referred to by those identifiers in that case.

Some airports have the parking spots labeled completely differently from how the gates are numbered inside, which makes things kind of fun. Horizon uses a bunch of gates in Seattle that are labeled as "C" 1-10 inside the terminal, but the parking spots that correspond to those gates are numbered as "Q" 1-15, so I have to think about it when passenger has asked me where a given one of the "C" gates is located.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

azflyboy posted:

At least in the US, they're usually just called "gate XX" if the airport just uses straight numbers, but some airports have parking spots/gates labeled with a mix of letters and numbers (N12C, Q15, A8 etc...), so they're referred to by those identifiers in that case.

Some airports have the parking spots labeled completely differently from how the gates are numbered inside, which makes things kind of fun. Horizon uses a bunch of gates in Seattle that are labeled as "C" 1-10 inside the terminal, but the parking spots that correspond to those gates are numbered as "Q" 1-15, so I have to think about it when passenger has asked me where a given one of the "C" gates is located.

You fly Q400s, yeah? Do you fly MSO<->SEA ever?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hadlock posted:

Usually they're called gates. ATC is typically not responsible for telling traffic which specific gate to go to; they will get you to the exit to the apron (the proper term for what people just call the ramp or the tarmac), after which you're either on your own (knowing ahead of time which gate to go to) or an apron advisory will tell you which gate to go to. Small airports don't have apron advisories, so the ground controller will just tell you to taxi to the terminal after which you're on your own (again, if there are multiple gates, your flight plan package will tell you which gate to go to). Smaller airports still might not even have a passenger terminal or gates, at which point they're called parking stands, and often they aren't even controlled airports, so you pretty much just go where you want and announce over the radio your intentions. If such an airport is controlled, you'll just be given taxi instructions to whatever area you will be doing your turnaround and that's it. Large airports also have parking stands, but you typically won't be deplaning passengers there; they're more used for spare aircraft than anything else.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 3, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Great, thanks. I am working on a glorified spreadsheet simulation and couldn't figure out what those are named :)

That said, if they're called "Gates", that raises a new question, Southwest Airlines' home airport is the once-regional airport Love Field just outside of Downtown Dallas. Go google "Wright Amendment" if you want to know more but basically they're limited to 20 Gates at Love Field, and Southwest "owns" 18 gates with one of those currently in dispute with Delta. Is that why they don't just add more "apron gates" on the tarmac? It seems like they would consider using apron gates to add more capacity if they could, since they're already attempting nine flights per gate/jetway at Love.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Great, thanks. I am working on a glorified spreadsheet simulation and couldn't figure out what those are named :)

That said, if they're called "Gates", that raises a new question, Southwest Airlines' home airport is the once-regional airport Love Field just outside of Downtown Dallas. Go google "Wright Amendment" if you want to know more but basically they're limited to 20 Gates at Love Field, and Southwest "owns" 18 gates with one of those currently in dispute with Delta. Is that why they don't just add more "apron gates" on the tarmac? It seems like they would consider using apron gates to add more capacity if they could, since they're already attempting nine flights per gate/jetway at Love.

AFAIK, adding gates and parking spaces is generally left up to whatever agency runs the airport, although the FAA might have some input, since they do contribute funding to some airport construction projects.

Since Alaska and Delta started their pissing contest in Seattle last year, Delta has been scrambling to get more gates in SEA, but since the airport is basically out of usable real estate at this point, Delta isn't going to get any more gates unless they either buy the gates off some other airline, or convince the Port Authority to spend the $$ to expand the domestic terminal, which would likely require demolishing Deltas' maintenance hangar.

so loving future posted:

You fly Q400s, yeah? Do you fly MSO<->SEA ever?

Yep. I've done MSO-SEA a few times, but it's been a few months since I was last there.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Yep. I've done MSO-SEA a few times, but it's been a few months since I was last there.

I fly it occasionally. If I see a goony pilot, I'll be sure to awkwardly mumble something about stairs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

1964. The Warren comission releases its report, quashing rumors of conspiracy theory in the JFK assassination once and for all. Mary Poppins hits the theaters. Barry Goldwater wants more nuclear weapons. And a good year for aviation! Life does a special 2 issue thing on exploring space - rockets to the moon, way-stations at Lagrange points, regular flights to the moon, exploring mars. By the end of the century!!

Also this election issue manages to fly (literally, not with voters):

ANOTHER program McNamara killed! The XB-70, space planes, new blimps for the navy :argh:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Caconym posted:

I still find it funny that it's common practice (at least in Norway) for customs agents to be waiting pierside when a navy or coast guard vessel returns from a foreign port. Smuggler hunting one day, inspected for contraband the next.

Qui custodiet ipsos custodies?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

so loving future posted:

I fly it occasionally. If I see a goony pilot, I'll be sure to awkwardly mumble something about stairs.

The Ferret King asked me over an approach frequency if I had stairs in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Note to self: Do not set your ringtone to the 767's Master Caution tone unless you enjoy sim-related PTSD :stare: