Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Compendium posted:

Translated Fate/Extra 4 komas from the Type Moon Ace issue.

http://lapotops.tumblr.com/post/123124679449/therightnippleofarcher-fate-extra-comics-from

Fem!MC is superior.

I feel like this is true anytime there's a male and female main character *looks at the Persona 3 Portable main character*

Gil really does look good in everything, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Looking around, people don't seem to like Future Gospel that much. Honestly it's ranked right after Paradox Spiral for me. It's a surprisingly feel-good film ...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-03/aniplex-usa-fate-stay-night-ubw-trailer-previews-dub/.90026

quote:

The previously announced English dub cast, under ADR director and script writer Tony Oliver, also includes:

The trailer previews the English dub starring Bryce Papenbrook as Shirou Emiya, Mela Lee as Rin Tohsaka, and Kari Wahlgren as Saber.

Archer: Kaiji Tang
Sakura Matou: Cristina Vee
Illyasviel von Einzbern: Stephanie Sheh
Souichirou Kuzuki: Lex Lang
Lancer: Tony Oliver
Caster: Megan Hollingshead
Assassin: Todd Haberkorn
Rider: Melissa Fahn
Taiga Fujimura: Julie Ann Taylor
Shinji Matou: Kyle McCarley
Issei Ryudo: Robbie Daymond
Kirei Kotomine: Crispin Freeman
Kiritsugu Emiya: Matthew Mercer
Blond Servant: David Earnest
Shirou Emiya (Child): Mona Marshall
Ayako Mitsuzuri: Brina Palencia
Yukika Saegusa: Jessica DiCicco
Kaede Makidera: Erica Lindbeck
Kane Himuro: Dorothy Fahn

That's it, I quit. I quit english dubs forever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the trailer, gently caress piss rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDFWHD9cm-E

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
:confused: I thought you liked Papenbrock.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do, but Sam Riegel is literally Shiro's voice and the fact they recasted it with Pappenbrook rustles me to no end.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who would watch the dub anyway

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Me

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Is that English dub Haruhi!?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, Wendee Lee's not in this dub.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Beef Chief posted:

No, Wendee Lee's not in this dub.

Huh. Weird, Rin's actress sounds familiar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's actually one of the only voices on the cast list that has been retained since the Deen series dub and that's good, because if they changed Rin's voice it would've been dead.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aside of the gay bulge video I have never seen dub Fate anything.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Watching the trailer, I hate that Shirou sounds way too much like Kirito, and Rin is a lot higher voiced than I expected. Got too used to the Japanese voices after watching the sub and never having watched any of the previous Fate related series dubbed so I have no English basis point to compare this to, I guess.

Wasn't sold on Tang as Archer until this was posted in the SB thread and I heard him doing a pretty good rendition of the Unlimited Blade Works chant, so he might grow into the role and do a lot better than what we heard in the preview: https://soundcloud.com/kaiji-tang/ubw-archer-mix. Apparently, he said on his Twitter that he knows he may not live up to Liam O'Brien's Archer, but he's gonna do his best anyway.

Also, it's really weird hearing Shirou's name said in western order. He'll always be Emiya Shirou to me.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 3, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GhostStalker posted:

Watching the trailer, I hate that Shirou sounds way too much like Kirito, and Rin is a lot higher voiced than I expected. Got too used to the Japanese voices after watching the sub and never having watched any of the previous Fate related series dubbed so I have no English basis point to compare this to, I guess.

Wasn't sold on Tang as Archer until this was posted in the SB thread and I heard him doing a pretty good rendition of the Unlimited Blade Works chant, so he might grow into the role and do a lot better than what we heard in the preview: https://soundcloud.com/kaiji-tang/ubw-archer-mix. Apparently, he said on his Twitter that he knows he may not live up to Liam O'Brien's Archer, but he's gonna do his best anyway.

Also, it's really weird hearing Shirou's name said in western order. He'll always be Emiya Shirou to me.

It's not like they're pretending that this takes place anywhere other than somewhere in Kansai region Japan so I'm still confused they go out of their way to Westernize some of it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, apparently from news filtering out of AX, Heaven's Feel will only be one feature length movie... Miura apparently wanted to do a six hour production, but that was nixed.

Not sure how I feel about this, though my hype levels are going way down now...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 3, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The dub of the Deen anime was how I experienced it originally (not the series in general, I did read the VN first) and it was actually a really good dub even though it contained literally every VA from the mid-2000s you have heard a million times by now in other stuff. Sam Riegel as Shiro and Liam O' Brien as Archer have been the voices of the characters to me for a while because Riegel actually captures Shiro's awkward, stunted nature very well even if it's not intentional and Liam O' Brien is a loving amazing voice actor and voices Archer perfect in every way. He and Suwabe are legit of equal quality to me in voicing that character. Tang is a good voice actor and will do fine in the role, but it's not O' Brien. Pappenbrook's voice is actually an awful choice for Shiro because not only is it the same voice Pappenbrook's done for all of the anime protagonist' he's voiced, Shiro shouldn't sound like a lovely teenage kid. It's gonna be even worse in the epilogue when he's this huge dude and sounds like a lovely teenager still. I like Pappenbrook, but he's like Johnny Yong Boch. If you give him a role that's not a generic protagonist then he can be a pretty fantastic actor, unfortunately he's always pigeon-holed as that.

I'm also in general just annoyed to see like... most of the original cast gone. The fact they had Gilgamesh and Assassin's original VAs in the Zero dub and didn't cast either one in their appropriate roles (TBF, Assassin's VA wouldn't voice Assassin until now) pissed me off to no end, but overall the Zero dub was good. Crispin Freeman as a younger Kirei was a good choice and Saber's voice changed with every adaptation so I didn't mind her change that much either. They did the same thing in this dub too though where like Lex Lang is not voicing the character he's always voiced, he's voicing the character Patrick Seitz voice. Patrick Seitz has been in like every aniplex dub as a character so it really weirds me out he's not in this. Assassin is going to have a younger voice now, which I don't like because his original VA who is now voicing Gilgamesh was a really great voice that capture the cool nature of the character a lot. The dub's gonna be fine, but like a lot of these changes suck and were how I felt when the Zero dub was announced.

I have more to say, but I've written enough about this dumb language track no one besides me has ever listened to so I'll spare you the rest.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not like they're pretending that this takes place anywhere other than somewhere in Kansai region Japan so I'm still confused they go out of their way to Westernize some of it.

I don't mind this at all, because it orients the names so you immediately know what his actual name is and what his given name is. This kind of change should be made for most westerners, because Japan is like the only place that does this and it's not like they're trying to capture the authentic Japanese experience otherwise they wouldn't be dubbing it.

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, apparently from news filtering out of AX, Heaven's Feel will only be one feature length movie... Miura apparently wanted to a six hour production, but that was nixed.

Oh boy, this is gonna be a good time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GhostStalker posted:

Welp, apparently from news filtering out of AX, Heaven's Feel will only be one feature length movie... Miura apparently wanted to a six hour production, but that was nixed.

Worst production for the worst heroine. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Worst production for the worst heroine. :colbert:

Prepare to be slaughtered

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
i was joking about the star wars opening scroll ufotable

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wasn't.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hey, better too short than too drawn out in my opinion. I'm interested to see how they cut it down to one movie. I'm still pretty hyped for it, and I think that the glacial pace of the vn would have been horrible for a movie. It will probably wind up feeling rushed, but I'm sure that ufotable can make something decent out of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I looked on youtube for an example of Archer's dubbed voice from the 2006 F/SN anime and came across his fight with Berserker. Good god that series had terrible animation. I felt like I was watching an episode of Pokemon from the 90's.

vvv Yeah his voice acting was fine. I also thought that the changes they made to the original UBW aria were pretty decent and reasonable. It's just the animation was that abhorrent.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 4, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Liam O'Brian is perfect for archer though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dunno, if Freeman sticks around for Heaven's Feel I'm hyped as all gently caress for the macho death match shouting.:allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Freeman, but he should not be voicing FSN Kotomine because Jamieson Pierce is the opposite to George Nakata at being godlike for that role.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They had Crispin Freeman as Zero Kotomine because Jamieson Price was already playing Rider, which was a really loving good call. I think they're just keeping him to maintain continuity- I don't think anyone got recast between the Zero dub and this.

I haven't heard the guy they have as Archer in anything, but he better be good if he's gonna replace Liam O'Brien. O'Brien's delivery of the UBW chant in the 2006 anime was loving awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't mind Freeman as younger Kirei and yeah Price killed it as Rider, but there is a sizeable time difference between Zero and UBW and Price has voiced Kirei in every other Fate property besides Zero, so it yes it is a recast even if it is maintaining consistency.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Price in this, I'm just not really surprised they kept Freeman is all. They already recast everybody who shows up in both for Zero, and while a different VA for young Kirei vs. old Kirei makes sense, Zero Saber and F/SN Saber having a different voice would be a little odd.

Honestly, Papenbrook and Cristina Vee are the ones I'm most worried about, and more for HF when it comes out than UBW. I haven't watched the vast majority of the stuff Papenbrook's been in (and I haven't seen AoT dubbed) so I don't know how well he's gonna pull off that much screaming, and I especially don't know if he's going to sound badass or just dumb in a ham-off with Freeman. I haven't seen a single thing off the top of my head with the latter in a major role.

e: you know, if they just speed through everything up to Shirou losing his arm, they can totally fit it into one movie, especially if it's fuckoff long Disappearance of Haruhi-style.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 4, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the hosed up thing is that papenbrook is like 10x better when he's angry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
his voice for asbel in tales of graces is pretty bad, like he's never had a thought before, but then there's a scene where asbel snaps at the party and tears everyone down and suddenly his voice is loving awesome for like five minutes and then he apologizes and suddenly he's back to bland

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't remember any scenes in Graces.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I can't remember any scenes in Graces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvxF0oK2qc

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
All this dub reminds me how nowadays I barely listen to any. Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin dubs are the ones that I grew up with, but now I'm an old person who doesn't listen to dubs of newer animes.

The UBW dub isn't convincing me enough on that note.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean the dub'll be fine, but Pappenbrook's gonna bring it down pretty hard because they're going to do to him what everyone else does to him that doesn't cast him as a loving loony toon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

papenbrook is really good at playing crazy, and then everyone keeps casting him as everyman lead which he's garbage at. hosed up, in this guy's opinion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So basically I had my worries backwards, and he's gonna be meh at best in UBW but fangoddamntastic in HF.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't care about the English dub at all go talk about it on the UBW anime thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eat my butt, plutonis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beef Chief posted:

Eat my butt, plutonis.