Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Withnail posted:

The fact that you need to be skinny to be good at cycling loving sucks.
Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could be a beefy track sprinter type.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

He weighs 142

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Well yes, you have to be fit but not necessarily super climber skinny is all im saying

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol this is disgusting.

They should have a BMI minimum. What a joke.

How can you possibly get like that naturally and still be healthy enough to ride a TdF?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How can you possibly get like that naturally and still be healthy enough to ride a TdF?

You can't!

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

goons baffled by person with low body fat. weird

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

goatface posted:

You could be a beefy track sprinter type.
It'd be funny seeing Greipel stand next to Froome, for instance. Put one of the short jockey types like Gerrans next to them to complete the look.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

What are you talking about unenforceable? Its a voluntary group. Lol Sky fans

Thats exactly what I'm saying though??? They make all this noise about trying to clean up but when push comes to shove they'll ignore it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Thats exactly what I'm saying though??? They make all this noise about trying to clean up but when push comes to shove they'll ignore it.

They didnt show that it is unenforceable, it was from the beginning as a voluntary group unaffiliated with the UCI. And Lampre did the same thing earlier and maybe some other team. Sky didnt even bother to join so they could continue to dope their riders with cortisone.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Withnail posted:

The fact that you need to be skinny to be good at cycling loving sucks.

Solution: take up downhill MTBing

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What kind of track are we going to see today?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I think it was Taylor Phinney who described cycling as an endurance sport with an eating disorder tacked on in an interview with Roluer a while back. For my part I'm amazed that guys like Froome can get down to that weight and still be able to race anything other than mountains. When I first got into competitive cycling I was way over zealous about the weight thing, ended up at around 6'2 140 at one point- when the road went up I was flying, but I was constantly dropped on the flats, so it didn't help me at all.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It's flat but it looks pretty breezy so echelons galore, I hope.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Flat stages are usually boring as hell, but I'm still going to watch with something to read nearby.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

clean ayers act posted:

I think it was Taylor Phinney who described cycling as an endurance sport with an eating disorder tacked on in an interview with Roluer a while back. For my part I'm amazed that guys like Froome can get down to that weight and still be able to race anything other than mountains. When I first got into competitive cycling I was way over zealous about the weight thing, ended up at around 6'2 140 at one point- when the road went up I was flying, but I was constantly dropped on the flats, so it didn't help me at all.

Clen and AICAR do wonders to strip fat but leave muscle mass untouched.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any good books/articles on doping in cycling/the TDF? Will give me something to read while watching today's stage.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There's a storm passing over the area in 1-2 hours.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well that could be funny.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Was at the time trial yesterday and it was incredible to see how close they ride to the barriers.

http://i.imgur.com/eHD43u6.gifv

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

kim jong-illin posted:

Any good books/articles on doping in cycling/the TDF? Will give me something to read while watching today's stage.

Hamilton's "The Secret Race" is a pretty good account of the postal era/the strategies that were employed back then. Highlights include Hamilton vomiting at 3am in a hotel room because his blood bag was left out in the sun too long

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pvt Dancer posted:

Was at the time trial yesterday and it was incredible to see how close they ride to the barriers.

http://i.imgur.com/eHD43u6.gifv

Tom Dumoulin especially. I'm actually surprised nothing happened.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kim jong-illin posted:

I really liked millars racing through the dark but that's more an autobiography.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
I think there have been at least three crashes so far but the TV cameras have managed to miss each one. Sounds like no one has been hurt too badly though, so that's good.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007
Adam, no! I hope he finishes.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This is getting tasty now

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Hamilton's book was really good, Kim Jong-illin.

I should have started watching earlier but I'm sure the carnage is just starting.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wow, the Movistar/AG2R group is just bleeding time. RIP, Nairo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Froome is in the lead group :(

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
This is really funny.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Second time this has happened to movistar. Over a minute down :(

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Second time this has happened to movistar. Over a minute down :(

Teams are still mad at them for the Tour de Suisse or Romandie or whatever it was a few years ago

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Unlucky Nibs!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

quote:

Lotto Soudal ‏@Lotto_Soudal 28s28 seconds ago
#TDF2015 Puncture for Nibali.

EDIT; now it's on the TV.

Was looking for news on Adam Hansen. Sounds like he's back on his bike. Hope he made it back into the back group.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lol:

quote:

Chris Froome is sandwiched between Ian Stannard and Geraint Thomas right at the head of the front group, who have a 35sec lead. #TDF2015

quote:

Amazing job from @GeraintThomas86 and @IStannard to keep @chrisfroome right in the mix today! #AllezTeamSky #TDF2015

This is from the official Team Sky twitter. They make it sound like Froome's just a holocaust child's skeleton propped up on a bike.

Oh, there goes Nibali

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Where the gently caress is Nibali's teammate? That is some bad stuff Astana.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

tylertfb posted:

Where the gently caress is Nibali's teammate? That is some bad stuff Astana.

Probably waiting for him to finish drafting the cars

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Well at least he didn't draft behind the commissaire's car

e: nevermind haha

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

He's taking the piss a tad with the cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Totally shameless stuff there from Nibali lol