Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Uh.

Huh.

So I decided to try out the slime mount I finally got around to getting. So I went to fight Skeletron. Started bouncing on his head and shooting down at him.

This worked pretty well. Right up until he said "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out", and started flying up. And up. And up.

Eventually, I was in space, fell off his head, but he kept going up.

So, er, apparently Skeletron despises this poo poo so much he leaves the planet. He didn't come back down, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Wait until you meet electronical Mr. Skeltal on hard mode. You will be a sad panda.

I'm currently working on the solar pillar. gently caress that thing and its poo poo head minions who can go through blocks. Also screw the fire worm thing that 3 shots you if you jump around.

I get the feeling that the pillars were intended to be easier if you use the spec that matches the pillar. So melee for the solar pillar, ranged for the vortex, etc. I say this because, as a ranger, i never have any trouble at all with the vortex pillar, but there's annoying mobs at all the others - the teleporting lazer eye guys at the nebula pillar, the crawlipedes and the guys that ricochet your shots back at you at the solar pillar, etc. Ever since i busted out my old turtle armor and crafted the solar whip/sword, i've not died once at the solar pillar.

TL;DR - Try switching to melee for solar.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Whatever works, right? This event is so dumb. I'm just sitting here in my mushroom farm holding my yo-yo over the boss until it dies, repeatedly. Not sure how many more I need to kill to complete the event, but at least I got the ufo mount, yay.

Edit: Ok, boss gives 5% progress.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 5, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man my new 1.3 world is kinda rough. In one direction I've got Snow follows by Crimson, and the snow spreads under my base area creating the more difficult underground Ice Cavern biome, and in the other direction I've got desert followed by Jungle. Desert isn't so bad, except at night with those goddamed terrifying antlion flier things. At least I finally found a Magic Mirror, even if I can't find enough Silver/Gold for armor.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Holy gently caress I just had my first expert hardmore goblin invasion. Suffice to say that I died thrice and lost like 16 NPC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sjonnar posted:

Naw, silt is just a whatever block. You can run it through an extractor to get gems and poo poo. If you ran into antlion chargers, you've gotten into the big antlion pit under the middle of the desert. Tin ore is maybe worth digging up. It makes some cool looking riveted metal plating if you like that sort of thing. Up to you. As to what gear to aim for, what gear do you have and what role are you wanting to play? (Fighter, Ranger, Mage, Summoner)

My gear currently consists of basically nothing. I have some crappy metal armour and a tungsteen shortsword, that's it. I've been looking for gold to finish a new pickaxe since from memory you need it to break certain blocks. I found a bunch of tungsteen though so I was gonna make a suit out of that and then...I dunno. Keep looking for gold and hope a medusa doesn't come out of nowhere and chain stun me again. Seriously what the gently caress I was just minding my own business and suddenly this snake lady falls from above and turns me into a rock over and over.

I have no idea what my preferred playstyle would be. Petty sure it would be magic since I like ranged attacks but gently caress managing ammo. From memory you don't get any spells until the duneon though so I'm just using what I can.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Don't make shortswords.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Please keep posting bases everyone, I'm waiting on one eventually inspiring me to copy-paste it into my own world because I've just got block rooms as it stands right now.

Anyone make anything interesting with Dynasty wood?

edit: I really wanna make a base. Like, a bar too- basically I just want it to look like people could live there and not be crazy.

Because my old attempts don't go too great.

RareAcumen posted:

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

:negative:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

My gear currently consists of basically nothing. I have some crappy metal armour and a tungsteen shortsword, that's it. I've been looking for gold to finish a new pickaxe since from memory you need it to break certain blocks. I found a bunch of tungsteen though so I was gonna make a suit out of that and then...I dunno. Keep looking for gold and hope a medusa doesn't come out of nowhere and chain stun me again. Seriously what the gently caress I was just minding my own business and suddenly this snake lady falls from above and turns me into a rock over and over.

I have no idea what my preferred playstyle would be. Petty sure it would be magic since I like ranged attacks but gently caress managing ammo. From memory you don't get any spells until the duneon though so I'm just using what I can.

This changed a while back. You can make magic staves from 8 of a gemstone, and a few bars of low tier ore (Copper through Platinum). They fire projectiles at a fairly fast rate and don't drain too much mana. They're very decent to have early on, and it takes a while for the higher tier staves to fall off.

I dunno if this is really gonna inspire anyone, since it's really basic (and quite frankly a mess), but here's mine.

Gonna hollow out the middle to display all my statues, clothes, and armor.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 5, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can get early game access by making staves. Each gem has a corresponding metal that makes a staff with it. If memory serves, the combinations are:

Copper + Amethyst
Tin + Topaz
Silver + Sapphire
Electrum + Emerald
Gold + Ruby
Platinum + Diamond

Top to bottom = weakest to strongest.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Supremezero posted:

Uh.

Huh.

So I decided to try out the slime mount I finally got around to getting. So I went to fight Skeletron. Started bouncing on his head and shooting down at him.

This worked pretty well. Right up until he said "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out", and started flying up. And up. And up.

Eventually, I was in space, fell off his head, but he kept going up.

So, er, apparently Skeletron despises this poo poo so much he leaves the planet. He didn't come back down, either.

:frogbon: :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6AHtM8qKM

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
So I started to play this game again in my old world and in less than 5 minutes I got a martian invasion. Died multiple times.

Does someone know if I need to create a new world in order to take advantage of the new updates? I have lots of buildings in my old one and I am kinda lazy to do it all over again.

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.

And my guide decided to take a deuce in my golden toilet.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

There are a couple of early spells. In addition to the craftable gem staves, the corruption and crimson both have spells that you can potentially get from smashing orbs.

There's also a staff of sparking that can spawn in surface-level chests, but its damage is terrible.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Another base I made, love the ability to take that kind of pictures.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Since everyone's posting their bases I guess I can post my work in progress. I'll eventually have the left side filled with artificial biomes and the right side with NPC housing, gardens, weapon racks and storage and stuff, but all I've managed to finish up so far is the outer walls, central corridor and middle rooms that will eventually be my throne room and crafting chamber.

God I love the snapshot feature.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A what? :staredog: Holy poo poo

pretty much my reaction. hit "B" and you will consume one unit of every single buff item in your inventory. you can configure it to different key if you prefer.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So, the Stardust set?

It gives you a Stand.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
This is my main house I made like a year and a half ago. Was mostly using Magic/Ranged when I made it, put the NPCs I used most in the rooms. Eventually I stopped caring about being neat and symmetrical when they added and I found more and more things since my workshop is on the first floor. The right teleporter goes to my event tower and the left goes to my chlorophyte farm in the underground. Right now I'm working on wiring another for a Moon Lord minecart arena.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do you have to kill a mecha boss to get life fruits and plantera bulbs to spawn? I have two hardmode worlds and neither of them have life fruit.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Dr. Fetus posted:

This changed a while back. You can make magic staves from 8 of a gemstone, and a few bars of low tier ore (Copper through Platinum). They fire projectiles at a fairly fast rate and don't drain too much mana. They're very decent to have early on, and it takes a while for the higher tier staves to fall off.

I dunno if this is really gonna inspire anyone, since it's really basic (and quite frankly a mess), but here's mine.

Gonna hollow out the middle to display all my statues, clothes, and armor.

What is the furnace-looking item in the bottom right house?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pyroi posted:

So, the Stardust set?

It gives you a Stand.

It is the "Stardust" set, after all.

Shame this game is kinda lacking in the sfx department, could really use some Ora Ora Ora's in it for this.

neurotech posted:

Glass Kiln. Makes Glass Furniture AKA the most swag looking furniture there is.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

neurotech posted:

in the glass house? it's a glass furnace

...okay,okay, it's a glass kiln.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The stardust crusader does poo poo damage but he seems to draw agro maybe.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

pon alien posted:

The stardust crusader does poo poo damage but he seems to draw agro maybe.

does it yell out ORAORAORA

and if not how long would it take to mod it in

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Pyroi posted:

So, the Stardust set?

It gives you a Stand.

Sadly Stardust Platinum is really bad for doing damage. He can help with events, because his knockback is pretty great and he has a significant AOE, so he can stop one side from being an issue for the most part, but he isn't killing anything much beyond zombies without help.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I finally, finally, finally beat the moon lord, wahahaha! ...except now I have to go do the same thing on Expert Mode. -_-

I've been using the Phantasm with holy arrows and a boatload of +damage % accessories, is there anything I can be doing to bolster my dps more? I basically want to min/max it as high as I possibly can, just for fun.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Turtle armor set with full defense reforges and a Terra Blade made expert Plantera my bitch. I switched to a death sickle to take care of the arms on arms on arms, but otherwise it was no sweat. Onto the temple!

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
There seems to be misinformation about the angler and what causes him to spawn. Do you have to do anything to find him on the beach? Does he just spawn at one beach or the other and you just need to be lucky and find him?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sjonnar posted:

Naw, silt is just a whatever block. You can run it through an extractor to get gems and poo poo.
I wouldn't, though. It's used to make a decorative block and there's no really good place to go find it like there is sand or such.

Slush can also be fed through the Extractinator and has no other use.

Xenaero posted:

Why does Fireblossom seem to harvest it self?

My garden is becoming a headache.
Did you put them in pots/planters? If not, swinging a weapon or anything near them will bash them off the ground.

(Plants don't seem to care what kind of planter they're planted in, they just seem to be pots that look a bit better in large blocks and you can divide things up for where you want to plant them. One silver a pop from the Dryad, and there seem to be more as you beat bosses or something.)

Anyway, what the gently caress should I be doing now that I beat the Golem? Last time I did anything that was the end, pretty much.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zereth posted:

Anyway, what the gently caress should I be doing now that I beat the Golem? Last time I did anything that was the end, pretty much.

There should be cultists at the entrance to the dungeon, assuming you haven't demolished it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Every time I face the Moon Lord he becomes more of an rear end in a top hat to me. Good job Re-Logic for making the final boss not even remotely fun due to all the grinding poo poo you have to do beforehand to reach him only to die halfway through. :thumbsup:

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Well I may not need to mess around with getting the angler for early gear since I just got the slime staff to drop while it was raining slimes. :getin:

Also, the staff has a -% to speed, is that speed pertaining to the summon or to me?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 5, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Xenaero posted:

Why does Fireblossom seem to harvest it self?

My garden is becoming a headache.

Is it actually popping out of the pots, or just changing the growth stage? Every plant has 3 growth steps: Newly planted, harvestable but not "bloomed" (which will just give you the herb) and bloomed (gives the herb and seeds). Most plants have different criteria for blooming except shiverthorn and blinkroot, which just bloom whenever the hell they feel like. If a plant is at stage 2 it'll switch back and forth between 2 and 3 whenever its criteria are met.

Daybloom blooms when you'd expect it, Moonglow at night, Waterleaf while it's raining, Deathweed during blood moons, and Firebloom will bloom during late afternoon for about two hours before sunset.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 5, 2015

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is there any good method of finding fossils in the underground desert? I tried Spelunker pots but the fossils don't light up, so I'm just picking around kinda blindly looking.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The speed modifier for the slime staff is just how fast you swing it through the air while summoning a slime. It has no effect on the slime's attack speed, as far as I know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What's the poo poo between the anvil and sawmill?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

Is it actually popping out of the pots, or just changing the growth stage? Every plant has 3 growth steps: Newly planted, harvestable but not "bloomed" (which will just give you the herb) and bloomed (gives the herb and seeds). Most plants have different criteria for blooming except shiverthorn and blinkroot, which just bloom whenever the hell they feel like. If a plant is at stage 2 it'll switch back and forth between 2 and 3 whenever its criteria are met.

Daybloom blooms when you'd expect it, Moonglow at night, Waterleaf while it's raining, Deathweed during blood moons, and Firebloom will bloom during late afternoon for about two hours before sunset.
Fun fact: a Staff of Regrowth seems to only harvest blooming herbs, and seems to give you more herbs/seeds than doing it normally would!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

What's the poo poo between the anvil and sawmill?

a Lizhard Furnace (for making furniture out of temple bricks), and a... I think that's a flesh cloner you buy from the Steampunker which I think is for making flesh furniture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

a Lizhard Furnace (for making furniture out of temple bricks), and a... I think that's a flesh cloner you buy from the Steampunker which I think is for making flesh furniture?

Okay, that's two, minus the piggy bank I'm no longer confused about.