Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cygni posted:

The instant silence is creepy as gently caress.

You know it's strange when Jr wins and nobody is cheering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

That track worker dude got hosed up.

I hope everyone's ready for Viking's rants about plate track racing tomorrow (today).

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

BMB5150 posted:

What the gently caress was he doing, ARCA levels of what the gently caress. You see tons of smoke slow the gently caress down and come to a crawl. :wtc:

Brad said on twitter that he slowed and the car just spun on him.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

BMB5150 posted:

What the gently caress was he doing, ARCA levels of what the gently caress. You see tons of smoke slow the gently caress down and come to a crawl. :wtc:

Actually he slowed too quick, as he lost it and spun.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Brendan Gaughan in that white car just barely missed hitting Dillon's engine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Possibly Chicken posted:

The odds of just what happened tonight are also, but uhhhh

Yeah but a car going airborne, then another one right behind it going through a hole the first one made?

Slim to none.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Genocide Tendency posted:

Funny I didn't know the GEICO logo was a giant N with an eagle wing through it.

Mears' crew got there first dude, the hell were you watching. There was a member of Mears' crew already laying on the ground at Dillon's window when Jr.'s crew got there.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Definitely Casey Mears' dudes were there, too.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Watching that Dale Jr interview... dude looked absolutely shaken

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

shyduck posted:

Watching that Dale Jr interview... dude looked absolutely shaken

Gordon did as well, especially when he was talking about the fans.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Three fans are still hurt, any word on them?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

Three fans are still hurt, any word on them?

NBC said minor injuries.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

leica posted:

Yeah but a car going airborne, then another one right behind it going through a hole the first one made?

Slim to none.

That 'slim' chance means 50 dead people. The more times you roll the dice with this sorta racing, the more likely it is that the 'slim' chance becomes a reality.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Gordon def wanted to say something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cygni posted:

That 'slim' chance means 50 dead people. The more times you roll the dice with this sorta racing, the more likely it is that the 'slim' chance becomes a reality.

Sure, but NASCAR isn't going to mandate new fences because of a slim to no possibility.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

No, but the GEICO crew have a giant GEICO written on the back of it. You can very clearly read it as they haul rear end out to the car. Also the all black firesuits with Great Clips written on it means it was Kasey's crew.

Do you see Dale Junyer everywhere you go? Should we call somebody?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

Sure, but NASCAR isn't going to mandate new fences because of a slim to no possibility.

Instead of new catch fences they should come up with a package in which cars can actually pass one another and where tire wear comes into play. The more cars are together in a pack like that, the more likely something really bad happens.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Insane to think that Daytona could be that quiet after a Dale Jr win, but even after it was clear Dillon was fine all the fun had just been zapped out of the win.

And you just know that accident struck too close to home for Jr for many different reasons.

elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne
I was fighting to keep from falling asleep toward the end of the race but now I'm wide awake because of that wreck. I'm glad everybody is okay and I don't know how the gently caress Dillon made it out of that without a single injury.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Somehow the scariest thing to me was that Dillon's car hit the fence and just stopped.

God drat.

Also, to make a note on an earlier point: waiting to do the race tonight was the right call and moving it to tomorrow would've been tougher on the teams and they'd have had less viewers and attendance on a Monday anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cubey posted:

Instead of new catch fences they should come up with a package in which cars can actually pass one another and where tire wear comes into play. The more cars are together in a pack like that, the more likely something really bad happens.

It's Daytona, cars are never not going to be in packs, that upsets the fans.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Have tomorrow off work and decided to stick through the end of the race, and... holy poo poo. That's about all I can register at this point. I can't believe Dillon is okay, glad no serious injuries to any fans either.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Slow them down, different engine that doesn't need plate, better anti roll flaps, change the aero, there's plenty they could do.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Did literally any car in that lead pack besides Earnhardt and Johnson miss that wreck

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

leica posted:

It's Daytona, cars are never not going to be in packs, that upsets the fans.

Daytona didn't have packs for years.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Oh yea, definitely better to do it tonight.

And it's only a matter of time until a car does get into the stands. The fences are doing their job, and doing it very well, but they weren't designed to take a direct blow like that and then hold in a second car. At some point two cars will get into the fence together and it will be catastrophic, like Congressional hearing catastrophic. It wouldn't have taken much more for a second car to get up and into the fence tonight in the same accident.

If NASCAR isn't going to radically re-imagine the rule packages for plate races then they need to build a bigger fence and move the fans further away from the track.

Even with the crazy advancements in car safety I thought it was very likely that Austin Dillon was seriously hurt- maybe even gravely hurt. However, I was not floored when he got up and walked away. As much as we hate on NASCAR we should give them credit for building unbelievably safe cars.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Did literally any car in that lead pack besides Earnhardt and Johnson miss that wreck

NBC said like 3 out of 27 cars made it.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Heathen posted:

No, but the GEICO crew have a giant GEICO written on the back of it. You can very clearly read it as they haul rear end out to the car. Also the all black firesuits with Great Clips written on it means it was Kasey's crew.

Do you see Dale Junyer everywhere you go? Should we call somebody?

Watch a replay of the aftermath again. Everyone from Earnhardt's crew jump the wall and run to the left of the car. Which is what I was watching.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

No one but the fans like the packs, Even the drivers that are good at pack racing don't like it, they just adapt to it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Daytona didn't have packs for years.

No poo poo. It's not going away, NASCAR has tried and failed so get used to it.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I don't think the fans are so attached to it that you couldn't change the rules. While pack racing is a ton of fun to watch (even us jaded fans in chat were loving it) I think everyone would be open to better ideas; it's just that we haven't had any creativity in a long time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The best auto race I've ever seen was the 2013 IndyCar California race. It was a shitton more fun to watch than the pack race they had there this year because cars were getting huge runs by themselves and slingshotting past one another, and tire wear was a real thing that affected cars pretty significantly. I would absolutely love a NASCAR race at Daytona that was similar to that and would gladly take it over plate racing any day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SpitztheGreat posted:

I don't think the fans are so attached to it that you couldn't change the rules. While pack racing is a ton of fun to watch (even us jaded fans in chat were loving it) I think everyone would be open to better ideas; it's just that we haven't had any creativity in a long time.

What are you talking about, the last time they tried a different package we got tandem racing and the fans were pissed, it's not going to happen again.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Run the flat track out behind the backstretch

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Restrictor Plates have literally been a band aid fix that we've gotten used to for 30 years. I think a spread out field that just used the draft would be fine.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like the Gen6 cars have been way tighter together then they've ever been before also.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cubey posted:

The best auto race I've ever seen was the 2013 IndyCar California race. It was a shitton more fun to watch than the pack race they had there this year because cars were getting huge runs by themselves and slingshotting past one another, and tire wear was a real thing that affected cars pretty significantly. I would absolutely love a NASCAR race at Daytona that was similar to that and would gladly take it over plate racing any day.

Indy Car > NASCAR

Look how dumb this is

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was at the track. I was roughly in front of where the 3 came to rest. I did not see Dillon's hit happen because I was videoing it and focused on the field. So my reaction was:

"Yeah, figured that was coming. At least Gordon finished 6th. What else happ--"

(sees 3)

:stare:

"Holy poo poo how did that car get so mang--"

(sees big gaping hole in the catch fence everyone's dividing their attention to)

:stonk:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

There are only 3 options with the plate tracks.

Leave it as it is.

Take the plates off and let them run 230-240 and when something goes wrong, they kill a driver and who knows how many fans if its on the front stretch.

Tear down the banking, make the tracks flat enough that they have to lift in turns and tri-oval.

Thats your choices.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Right when I saw the 3 my first thought was "he must've hit the catch fence, that looks just like Larson's car from a few years ago".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Taking the plates off would be a lot better though because the cars would be spread out, and it's not like they're not already going 200

• Locked thread