Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Newest video(s): 52: Shady Business/Polsy

Alternate thread title: Resident Evil IV-2

The Evil Within is a survival horror game released in October 2014 to a good bit of critical acclaim, if some technical difficulties. The game draws a lot of comparisons to Resident Evil 4 and that would make sense since both games are directed by Shinji Mikami, the madman also behind the first three Phoenix Wright games and GOD HAND. I had a ball playing Resident Evil 4 so this one should be pretty good too!

The story from what I know follows our heroic protagonist Sebastian Castellanos as he and two other detectives investigate a hospital that has had SPOOKY THINGS happen in the past. It also involves a bit of resource management, dodging traps, stealth, and something called the Agony crossbow. I'm excited! This is also me testing out console recording so there might be some technical difficulties. Otherwise I'm playing on the PS4 and all the videos SHOULD be at 720p60.

Blind?

You got it! There was a request for a blind playthrough and I figured I'd been thinking about playing this game for a while, might as well give it a shot! The only exposure I have to this game before the playthrough is 20 minutes of chapter 1 and the instruction manual! With that in mind, :siren:THIS IS A NO BLACK BAR ZONE!:siren: Don't spoil this poo poo for me! I'm not planning on telling you how Arkham Knight ends, do me the same favor! Depending on how the game and the LP hits me I might dive into am doing the DLC as well, but I make no promises just yet! For buying the game I've already got the Fighting Chance Pack which starts me off with a medkit, a few bolts for the Agony crossbow, and a double barreled shotgun. I promptly forget about all of these things for the first three episodes.

1: A Rough Start/Polsy
2: Green Upgrade Goop/Polsy
3: Master Of Stealth/Polsy
4: Technical Difficulties/Polsy
5: A Man, A Plan, Chainsaw/Polsy
6: Lost My Keys/Polsy
7: Instant Death Roulette/Polsy
8: Unseen Dangers/Polsy
9: Competent Sidekicks!/Polsy
10: As Blind As Possible/Polsy
11: Third Time's The Charm/Polsy
12: Frenzy and Calm/Polsy
13: Oh Look, Twins/Polsy
14: A Change Of Scenery/Polsy
15: Playing For Keep(er)s/Polsy
16: Cavern Interlude/Polsy
17: Welcome! To DIE!/Polsy
18: Moment Of Truth/Polsy
19: Dumping Some Plot/Polsy
20: Ruvik's Playhouse/Polsy
21: Pressed, Sliced, Or Minced/Polsy
22: The Death And Return Of Blood Lady/Polsy
23: Poor Life Choices/Polsy
24: We Built This City/Polsy
25: A Quick Tram Ride/Polsy
26: Explosive Consequences/Polsy
27: The Wheels On The Bus.../Polsy
28: A Dee-Lux Apartment In The Sky/Polsy
29: Kitchen Nightmares/Polsy
30: Old Friends, New Deaths/Polsy
31: Meat Level/Polsy
32: The Alien Crossover/Polsy
33: Calm Before The Storm/Polsy
34: Got My Eye On You/Polsy
35: Battle Of The Minds/Polsy

DLC: The Executioner
36: Chainsaw Fight/Polsy
37: Joseph's Last Stand/Polsy
38: Hammer It Home/Polsy

DLC: The Assignment
39: Totally Not Umbrella Corp/Polsy
40: Pyramid Head? No. Keeper? No./Polsy
41: Like Roaches, But Different/Polsy
42: The Kidman Strikes Back/Polsy
43: Spooky Sewers/Polsy
44: The Three Deaths of Joseph Oda/Polsy
45: Deadly Shadows/Polsy

DLC: The Consequence
46: Flashlight Problems/Polsy
47: Revenge of the Spotlight/Polsy
48: KCPD Blue/Polsy
49: Put Out That Light!/Polsy
50: Leslie's Bizarre Adventure/Polsy
51: Quickdraw Kidman/Polsy
52: Shady Business/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Files of course there's files it's a survival horror game

Journals

November 2004
December 2004
February 2005
March 2005 1 2
Wedding Invitation
May 17, 2006 1 2
Lily's Birth Announcement
June 16, 2009 1 2
Krimson Post Newspaper Clipping 1 2
February 27, 2012 1 2
July 11, 2012 1 2
August 2012 1 2
September 1, 2012
Note From Myra 1 2
December 20, 2012 1 2
Internal Affairs Interview Transcript 1 2 3

Documents

Old Note From Sewer
Boiler Room Note 1 2
Lakeside Town Note
Villager's Note
Underground Facility Note
Graveyard Note
Cemetary Lab Note #1 1 2 3
Catacomb Note
Cave Note 1 2
Research Facility Note 1 2 3
Mansion Dining Room Note
Ruvik's Room Note
Mansion Music Room Note
Mansion Basement Note

Newspapers

BODIES FOUND
SERIAL KILLER ON THE LOOSE
SERIAL KILLINGS CONTINUE
MISSING PATIENT FOUND
INVESTIGATION STALLS
PATIENTS CLAIM ABUSE
PARISHIONER FOUND
CHURCH FLOOR COLLAPSES
KCPD OFFICER MISSING
CHURCH INVESTIGATION
CATACOMBS FOUND
ESTATE FIRE
BODIES FOUND NEAR ESTATE
CAR ACCIDENT, TWO DEAD
HOME DESTROYED BY FIRE
IRREGULARITIES AT HOSPITAL
BODY FOUND IN SEWER
INVESTIGATOR MISSING
MANSION BURNS DOWN
FIRE AT OFFICE

Posters

Leslie
Oscar
Valerio
Fernando
Pastor Graciano
Chris
Ruben
Patrick
Marcelo
Inspector Brown
Joseph
Ivan
Tatiana
Missing Woman
Sebastian

Torn Letters
Torn Letter 1: The Assignment
Torn letter 2: The Consequence

Character Models
Sebastian Castellanos
Sebastian Castellanos (Trench Coat)
Juli Kidman
Juli Kidman (Wounded)
Joseph Oda
Nurse Tatiana
Leslie Withers
Marcelo Jimenez
Laura Victoriano
Ruvik (Ruben Victoriano)
Ruvik (Without Robe)
Ruben Victoriano (Child)
Ruben Victoriano (Child, Scarred)
Young Adult Ruben
AlterEgo
Sadist
Zehn
Neun
The Keeper
Trauma
Sentinel
Laura (Creature)
Quell
Shigyo
Amalgam Alpha
Heresy
Amalgam
Amalgam Core
Haunted (Group A)
Haunted (Group B)
Haunted (Group C)
Haunted (Group D)
Haunted (Group E)
Haunted (Group F)
Animals
Sebastian (Young)
Sebastian and Joseph (Young)
Sebastian (Haunted)

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Tag for later, I was looking forward to this since it showed up in the sandcastle. From what I heard this game is supposed to be completely terrible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

anilEhilated posted:

Tag for later, I was looking forward to this since it showed up in the sandcastle. From what I heard this game is supposed to be completely terrible.
You heard massively incorrectly. This game is amazing, the set pieces are wonderful, and people just expected some really odd things from the game.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'll definitely check this out when I have time. Do you guys remember the trailers for this game, and how loving annoying they were?

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
This game is an odd game. It's hard to explain, but I had more fun after I beat the game then when I was playing it. Like Niggurath said, the set pieces are nice, and some parts of the game really induce a good stress. At the same time, I feel the game didn't know if it wanted to be more action- or more stealth-oriented. Interspersed with tense moments of exploring oppressive, claustrophobic, or nightmarish landscapes, you have awkward forced combat. While playing it, I just pushed through the game (mostly the combat) to get through it. But, after I watched the ending, set down the controller, and put some time between me and the game, I started to appreciate more what the game did right. I've been meaning to do a second playthrough, but, eh, keep getting sidetracked.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Niggurath posted:

You heard massively incorrectly. This game is amazing, the set pieces are wonderful, and people just expected some really odd things from the game.

I think it's that a lot of people were expecting the Shinji Mikami who redefined the action genre, and they got the Shinji Mikami who reinvented survival horror.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I'm not 100% but I think Leslie's a dude.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I think it's that a lot of people were expecting the Shinji Mikami who redefined the action genre, and they got the Shinji Mikami who reinvented survival horror.
Personally I think the game had an identity crisis with it's marketing because it seemed to push this idea of a very stealth heavy horror game when in actuality (like Mr. Highway mentioned) it has a massive range of game play types. So if people were going in expecting a singular theme or feel, then they were going to be fine for a while but swiftly flung in a different direction. Personally I appreciated the flow changes (though there are some definite weak areas) but I can see how it's jarring for some.

Also I highly recommend investing fully into matches. They are the most useful things ever in this game.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What a nasty trick! I was expecting some bog-standard youtube-bait sneakfest in a mental hospital a la Outlast, and then they turn around and shove us into some brain-twisting Silent Hill/Deadly Premonition madness.

What other surprises does this game have in store?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

Also I highly recommend investing fully into matches. They are the most useful things ever in this game.

This is probably good advice! Based on what I've seen so far them shits is limited. Also how can a man only carry five matches. What madness is this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So far the game does seem a bit... unsure of what kind of a game it is? Not sure what to make of it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

dscruffy1 posted:

Also how can a man only carry five matches. What madness is this.

Fire safety is no joke :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Those laptop popup things in the police cars are real and are intended for use by the guy sitting in the passenger seat :eng101:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Neruz posted:

Those laptop popup things in the police cars are real and are intended for use by the guy sitting in the passenger seat :eng101:

Or for running your drivers license. And I disagree with all of of them being intended for the passenger to use. Because I have seen some with mounting that would make it only possible for someone without legs to even use the passenger seat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Unless you end up totally hating the base game, you need to do the DLCs. They're much better than the base game (and I'm one of the people who likes the base game) and help the overall story make sense.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
You were right in the video. The chainsaw man was indeed very angry about boxes. I wonder if we ever find out why?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

A Perfect Twist posted:

You were right in the video. The chainsaw man was indeed very angry about boxes. I wonder if we ever find out why?

I think he's just angry in general and the boxes happened to be there.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I'm actually pretty pleased with the end results of this game, mainly because I plan on never playing it. Parts look frustrating as hell, but I like the atmosphere.

I think the greatest weakness of Evil Within is there's no contrast. Not really. The closest thing to sane you'll see is the hospital office where the sexy nurse hangs (I didn't have a nurse fetish until I saw her), but everything else is gore gore gore. After a while, it feels like that scene from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey where they fall and fall and after a while stop screaming and start playing 20 questions.

"AAAAH! A ZOMBIE!!"
"AAAAH! A CHAINSAW ZOMBIE!"
"AAAAH! A BARBWIRE ZOMBIE!"
"aaahhh.. another... another."
"and a stilt zombie. and one with stuff on it's head. and one with sort of a head."
"You wanna play I spy?"

Full throttle all the time doesn't do much for the tension and release of a good survival horror. Even RE4, which I admit is more action than horror, had some normal in between the head-spodey terrors.

That complaint aside, I still like the design. Even without the contrast, the enemy design is creative and at times sarcastic and it's a fun ride. I put value on that.

Gonna tag this thread for later viewing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I wanted to complete this game on Nightmare difficulty because I wanted to try out all the post game bonuses. Now while I'm sure my first time through was a lot easier... well, good luck with Chapter 6, friend.

This game has a few more moments of frustrating bullshit instadeath than I'd like, which makes it a hard recommendation, but I'd never call it a bad game. That said, I've been looking to see someone's first reactions to this game again, so I'm glad you're filling the role.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The fans you mentioned have a ring of air holes at the top of shaft through which forced air could pass, meaning they're probably not completely useless. Have no idea how viable that would be but they're there!

Remember seeing the test post in sandcastle and looking forward to it, still doing so.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've got a deep-seated problem with constantly using "master of stealth" as an episode title in every LP I do lately.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I've got a deep-seated problem with constantly using "master of stealth" as an episode title in every LP I do lately.

The torch is a super useful tool for a singular purpose and that's that it can one hit kill most of those scrub zombies. The problem is that it has a one time use, so you kinda have to choose wisely when and if you want to use it. Also there's sometimes very easy to spot signs of which bodies you might want to use a match on and which you don't, and that's usually if you see a weapon near them (like the guy that gets up when you're exploring that one house had a mighty death grip upon that scythe).

I do really love though that you tried to fight that huge mob; I remember when I was playing and I just saw them all start coming for me, my first impetus was just to get the gently caress out of dodge. Hopefully though you'll start to get a bit creative and try to see if the monsters can interact with the traps at all.

VVVVVV
That really sucks. I will say that the checkpoint system in this game is super bizarre and never fully explained. Sometimes it'll be for story reasons....and then sometimes it'll just randomly occur.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 5, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I have learned a few things today. One of them is that I am afraid of chainsaws. Another is that I should not be overwriting my save files. The reason I shouldn't be overwriting my save files is because the last 15 minutes of my recording corrupted. :sigh:

Niggurath posted:

Hopefully though you'll start to get a bit creative and try to see if the monsters can interact with the traps at all.

Good news! Using traps is a thing I've learned about. Bad news, it was all in the corrupted section. I'm pretty frustrated by this.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So if you stealth kill an enemy, are they perma-dead? And is the only benefit to lighting bodies on fire only for the ones playing 'possum?'

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

IronSaber posted:

So if you stealth kill an enemy, are they perma-dead? And is the only benefit to lighting bodies on fire only for the ones playing 'possum?'

You know I'd prefer not to have this spoiled for me just yet. It adds to the fun! As far as I can tell stabbing a dude in the head kills him for good and they're not getting back up. If I was to guess this will not always be the case. But for the moment, matches are mostly good for the guys that are playing dead.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

You know I'd prefer not to have this spoiled for me just yet. It adds to the fun! As far as I can tell stabbing a dude in the head kills him for good and they're not getting back up. If I was to guess this will not always be the case. But for the moment, matches are mostly good for the guys that are playing dead.
Well it's ain't really a spoiler, but you can save the bodies that can be burned and use them as traps for other active enemies. Just wait for them to run on a non-burned body, light the body, and they too will go up in flames. Which in turn ends up being an amazingly easy one hit kill and why matches can be so stupidly powerful, though it does take some practice to get down.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dscruffy1 posted:

It was pretty great watching that one guy kinda wig out and run around like crazy on fire. "My cunning strategy is working perfectly! The well-dressed detective is getting closer, and- OH NO EVERYTHING HAS BACKFIRED!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't seen anything about this game, so I'm wondering if there are any secrets or documents that might have been missed in the areas we've already seen. Is it okay to talk about that?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh, I didn't know. I thought you found out. I ask only 'cause I want to get this game to scratch that Resident Evil 4 itch I've had.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't seen anything about this game, so I'm wondering if there are any secrets or documents that might have been missed in the areas we've already seen. Is it okay to talk about that?

Oh yeah for sure. I think I've been pretty good about scouring the area so far but if I've missed anything feel free to point out my foolishness!

IronSaber posted:

Oh, I didn't know. I thought you found out. I ask only 'cause I want to get this game to scratch that Resident Evil 4 itch I've had.

I hear you. I haven't found out just yet but the game is definitely not RE4. I've only finished chapter 3 so far (AND MY RECORDING CORRUPTED :argh:) but the game has this delightful sense of panicky oh poo poo oh poo poo and I think it's because they've added the stealth elements. I'm really enjoying it so far. Now I just have to do a non-blind run of chapter 3 for video. Which SUCKS because it was a good chapter to have a blind run for. So many things learned!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I hear you. I haven't found out just yet but the game is definitely not RE4. I've only finished chapter 3 so far (AND MY RECORDING CORRUPTED :argh:) but the game has this delightful sense of panicky oh poo poo oh poo poo and I think it's because they've added the stealth elements. I'm really enjoying it so far. Now I just have to do a non-blind run of chapter 3 for video. Which SUCKS because it was a good chapter to have a blind run for. So many things learned!

Bummer, man. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could just record the last part! Leave in the blind stuff until the part that got corrupted, then switch over to the not-blind stuff in its place.

Unless the whole file is corrupted in which case welp.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I think I've been pretty good about scouring the area so far but if I've missed anything feel free to point out my foolishness!
Well it can be super easy to miss, but when you head into the upgrade mirror place there is usually a 'Missing Persons' poster and a newspaper in the main lobby for you to pick up. I think you missed those when you went there in your second video.

I'm trying to remember though if certain ones can only be gotten at certain times in those mirror places, but there is definitely going to be new ones to find in there and you should keep an eye out for them as they do give a lil bit more backstory.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

You could just record the last part! Leave in the blind stuff until the part that got corrupted, then switch over to the not-blind stuff in its place.

Unless the whole file is corrupted in which case welp.

Assuming I didn't delete the clip in a rage I'm planning on doing this, the whole file isn't corrupted. The problem is the last 15 minutes got weirdly compressed into 7 minutes complete with video tearing and audio problems. It's also terrible since the last 15 minutes are the best part. BUT OH WELL. I'll probably figure it out tonight.

Niggurath posted:

Well it can be super easy to miss, but when you head into the upgrade mirror place there is usually a 'Missing Persons' poster and a newspaper in the main lobby for you to pick up. I think you missed those when you went there in your second video.

I'm trying to remember though if certain ones can only be gotten at certain times in those mirror places, but there is definitely going to be new ones to find in there and you should keep an eye out for them as they do give a lil bit more backstory.

I'll start keeping an eye out for these! Maybe splice them into a video later.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dscruffy1 posted:

The problem is the last 15 minutes got weirdly compressed into 7 minutes complete with video tearing and audio problems.

:psyduck: video games

I'm enjoying the LP by the way! I noticed I didn't say that in my post.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Recording is busted. Audio is off. Time for a slightly more competent run of chapter 3!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why is there an electrical short-circuit sound when you stab people in the head?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Alright. This is getting weird. I just re-recorded and the video's screwed up at the same spot. The first 30 minutes look like they work but as soon as I enter the same area as the last video it gets choppy and I lose coherence. I need to figure this out.

Samovar posted:

Why is there an electrical short-circuit sound when you stab people in the head?

We're shorting out their neural pathways :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Still a better game than Arkham Origins. And no,I'm never taking that back. :colbert:

• Locked thread