Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

who wants to chain judgement cuts

this guy

(explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DysIhrcblUU skip to 1m36s if you only care about how to do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
This is some serious bullshit - I was fighting (read: getting kicked around by) with Dante in the second fight, generally trying to discern his patterns and some counters, moving around the arena and getting a feel for the fight. After a few tries I've cheesed the fight (sad to say, I don't skill necessary to fight him somewhat fairly) and the game gives me a penalty for "Enemy Handicap"!? I didn't ask for a handicap, game, I'm more than happy to earn the victory. Stupid game.

Also it's probably my own fault for disabling tutorial messages, but does the game ever explain Buster counters? At least I think there's something like that in the game (i.e. you counter a particular attack with a normal buster attack and it does something special), but I either missed the timing or tried to counter a wrong attack, because it didn't work - I was trying to counter him Credo throwing his lance, but neither pressing a button as it hits me nor a moment before that worked. Or do I need his shield to do that?

Also Sanctus fight was just sad, he really should've stayed in his robot.

Edit: "him" is Credo :downs:

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 6, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the big thing with buster countering/bustering attacks is that nero's buster has a fuckton of startup, like the active frames don't even start until when the fist is actually up in the air a pretty decent amount so you actually want to do it much earlier than it would seem reasonable- the lil ending bit with the sanctus savior statue deal makes it pretty clear how strange the timing is on busterin' stuff

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble with Vergil. I can get AT enemies, but getting away from them is really hard. Like, with the fight with Berial, he'll wind up for his big "I'm gonna blow everything up" attack, and I can't figure out how to ever get away in time. The only time I haven't been hit was when I just happened to be really far already.

Is the only real defensive option that Vergil has just kinda include ground rolling?

I like to save DT just for getting away from Berial; hell, I use DT mainly for defense as Vergil since max Concentration + Summoned Swords makes for a badass offense already. Infinite Tricks + Trick Down are probably the second-best defensive options in the game, so keep some meter on hand for those moments when enemies nuke everything around them.

Berial's explosion is one of those attacks, but Vergil does have serious dodging abilities for the usual stuff through the use of Air Trick; it gives enough invincibility frames to phase through most enemy attacks, and can be used to cancel a lot of moves to make them safe or ensure stunlock.

Szurumbur posted:

This is some serious bullshit - I was fighting (read: getting kicked around by) with Dante in the second fight, generally trying to discern his patterns and some counters, moving around the arena and getting a feel for the fight. After a few tries I've cheesed the fight (sad to say, I don't skill necessary to fight him somewhat fairly) and the game gives me a penalty for "Enemy Handicap"!? I didn't ask for a handicap, game, I'm more than happy to earn the victory. Stupid game.

Yeah, if you die too many times against a boss during a single mission run, they'll nerf him and give you a penalty. Just keep on trying and gettin' gud

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, if you die too many times against a boss during a single mission run, they'll nerf him and give you a penalty. Just keep on trying and gettin' gud

I would have no problem with that if the game asked me if I wanted to do it, actually getting better results each time culminating in a win was a great moment, and then I learn they had to make him easier for me to win, no thanks. It does make a certain amount of sense - after all, I can't try the mission on a lower difficulty until I get there in a story - but just make it a choice and all is well.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Szurumbur posted:

I would have no problem with that if the game asked me if I wanted to do it, actually getting better results each time culminating in a win was a great moment, and then I learn they had to make him easier for me to win, no thanks. It does make a certain amount of sense - after all, I can't try the mission on a lower difficulty until I get there in a story - but just make it a choice and all is well.

It would be nice if it could be turned off at will. It's turned off for Dante Must Die mode though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

AccountingNightmare posted:

It would be nice if it could be turned off at will. It's turned off for Dante Must Die mode though.

It is? Is this just for the SE or is it true in the vanilla as well? By DMD I got into the habit of restarting the whole thing oncec I died 2 or 3 times.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Aside from ground rolls, all you can do as Vergil is trick back, but it only works if you have DT.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

AccountingNightmare posted:

In DMD I'd probably be dying to random mobs fairly often, so restarting the whole level wouldn't actually feel like such a bad idea, compared to my deaths at bosses in Normal.

I wish the game had a boss rush or a dojo mode - running through the stages in order to get to a cool boss will surely become tedious in time. I suppose the Bloody Palace may be useful as training grounds, though.

Also for a game with such a limited camera and (unupgraded) very few jumping options this game really loves its jumping puzzles; it was a bit cool cheesing the secret mission with Air Hike - the push me off, I jump back in. I don't think that's the intended method, but who cares. And Fausts and their ilk are a pain without Charged Shot, their hiding in the walls doesn't help, either - it's nice that the time limit was so generous, but I don't think I could chew through their health quickly enough on any higher difficulty. Although I suppose trying out Dante's charged shot might not be a bad idea - I assume Lady just obliterates them.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012

Beef Chief posted:

Um, she's never fetishized ever? I don't know why you think this other than you have some weird hangup on little kids in japanese stuff?

No dude, that's legit. Anime sexualizes children, or characters trapped in the "form of a child", as a means of making it more "okay". gently caress anime.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
please do not go down this road in this most ssstylish of threads tia

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've watched anime once. Or twice.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
lets derail this video game thread to talk about pedophilia

OR

we could talk about how I enjoyed DmC and that makes me a failure of a person somehow

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
Okay.

How is the steam version of the game? Sounds like a solid experience all around. Dmc4 was my least favorite when released but time has been kind. Played through on on Xbox about two years ago - New characters look refreshing.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
PC release is working great for me so far, nothing like the DMC3:SE port.

Which, I don't think there are even plans to release in a modern, working, 60fps format on PC? Sad, because for me it's still the series' peak.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

AllLuckySevens posted:

Okay.

How is the steam version of the game? Sounds like a solid experience all around. Dmc4 was my least favorite when released but time has been kind. Played through on on Xbox about two years ago - New characters look refreshing.

It's a really great pc port, just like the original DMC4.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Pureauthor posted:

It is? Is this just for the SE or is it true in the vanilla as well? By DMD I got into the habit of restarting the whole thing oncec I died 2 or 3 times.

Pretty sure it was true in vanilla as well. I know I was hitting "Continue" in Mission 1 over and over when recording it for my LP and it never kicked in.

Edit: It also worked like that in DMC3 afaik. Yes, DMC3 had an Enemy Handicap system. Except it didn't even have the decency to tell you about it. :argh: I discovered it while practicing a boss for the LP way back in the day.

AccountingNightmare fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Jon Do posted:

lets derail this video game thread to talk about pedophilia

OR

we could talk about how I enjoyed DmC and that makes me a failure of a person somehow

It wouldn't say anything about you as a person, merely something about your taste in videogames, but I also enjoyed it enough to complete the main game. It just wasn't good enough to be standing with the mainline games, gameplay wise. Plot wise most of the mainline games are not high brow, so the super serious (and dumb at the same time) plot also didn't take. It was a solid brawler with some poorly thought-out mechanics, but it was good enough for one playthrough, I think - not a good match for NT and their strengths, though.

Of course, since I got the game from PS+ my expectations for the may be really low.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

It wouldn't say anything about you as a person, merely something about your taste in videogames, but I also enjoyed it enough to complete the main game. It just wasn't good enough to be standing with the mainline games, gameplay wise. Plot wise most of the mainline games are not high brow, so the super serious (and dumb at the same time) plot also didn't take. It was a solid brawler with some poorly thought-out mechanics, but it was good enough for one playthrough, I think - not a good match for NT and their strengths, though.

Of course, since I got the game from PS+ my expectations for the may be really low.

Vergil's Downfall was good enough for me to play all the way to VMD mode. Also, a lot of Vergil's cool new poo poo in DMC4:SE is stuff brought over from Vergil's Downfall and tweaked even more.

Ergo, DmC's existence is vindicated by DMC4:SE Vergil, the most stylish Son of Sparda

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Vergil's Downfall was good enough for me to play all the way to VMD mode. Also, a lot of Vergil's cool new poo poo in DMC4:SE is stuff brought over from Vergil's Downfall and tweaked even more.

Ergo, DmC's existence is vindicated by DMC4:SE Vergil, the most stylish Son of Sparda

Vergil is cool, even in DmC, it's just a pity that: a) Dante's not as cool, b) they couldn't have a cool Vergil not as DLC, but as the, say, final boss of the whole game. Oh well, the new edition contains DLC, so I guess that's a moot point now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Szurumbur posted:

Vergil is cool, even in DmC, it's just a pity that: a) Dante's not as cool, b) they couldn't have a cool Vergil not as DLC, but as the, say, final boss of the whole game. Oh well, the new edition contains DLC, so I guess that's a moot point now.

The most character development DmC:DE gave Vergil.

RIP Fedorgil.

What I found interesting about DmC Vergil, is how similar they kept the design elements to regular series Vergil; older style of dress decorated with elaborate patterns, white hair, and he even kept his DMC3 moveset - more or less.

And yeah, the DLC had better mechanics than the main game - albeit still marred by lack of accuracy and one of the most awfully designed enemies in the game (the big lumbering cow one that never flinches or gives any indication that you're doing damage to it). Their take on doppelgänger was pretty cool too - and much more fun to play with than Dante's godawful trigger.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 6, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure that was because of the extremely strong response to New Dante. He was almost certainly designed and revealed first and once there was a giant backlash they went back to a more traditional Vergil. Which is why he's using a katana and has silver hair and all that instead of having demon/angel weapons and poo poo.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i wish dmc4se vergil had dmc3 style bubble cuts and DmC style 'swords vomit out of the ground' versions of dimension slash

him producing the large amount of wild slashes that dante does with his version of dark slayer is a bit of a shame 'cuz i always saw that as a dante-specific thing, like 'this is his take on vergil's style' instead of 'this is what dimension cuts look like in dmc4'

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure that was because of the extremely strong response to New Dante. He was almost certainly designed and revealed first and once there was a giant backlash they went back to a more traditional Vergil. Which is why he's using a katana and has silver hair and all that instead of having demon/angel weapons and poo poo.

Yeah, that's likely.

Like, the designs for Dante in the art book are them trying firstly to put their spin on regular Dante, then the honestly pretty lovely attempts to distance themselves from that - all completely different from each other. Whereas their stuff for Vergil...well, once I guess they homed in on what they wanted Dante to look like, Vergil is just a visual opposite. His concept art is mostly dark suits and jackets - very similar, and not that far removed from how he actually appears in the final product.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fereydun posted:

i wish dmc4se vergil had dmc3 style bubble cuts and DmC style 'swords vomit out of the ground' versions of dimension slash

him producing the large amount of wild slashes that dante does with his version of dark slayer is a bit of a shame 'cuz i always saw that as a dante-specific thing, like 'this is his take on vergil's style' instead of 'this is what dimension cuts look like in dmc4'

The just-timable Judgement Cuts in DMC4:SE are pretty neat as a buffer move; they remind me of UMvC3 where Judgement Cut is usually used to make a whiffed Stinger safe instead of a primary ranged attack. Still, I'm with you with the bubble cuts because they looked so unique and threatening, and that the triple version was Vergil's most damaging attack if you could work it into a combo.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
well, I beat DMD. The most challenging parts were the times the camera blocked my vision but the enemies still registered as being on screen so they could attack me and otherwise it felt pretty easy.

I'm not sure if that's just vergil being able to invalidate a lot of the nonsense in this game or me being way better at this game than when I did it for the original version.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 7, 2015

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well to be fair, he does use the same "hold a trigger to active the red and blue move sets" but unlike Dante his move set is fun, his DT is fun, you have access to everything at all times, and while your levels are literally in one case copy->pasted they're still massively improved over Dante since there is a hell of a lot less meandering platforming and mid-level cutscenes. His Vergil fight is also kind of fun but ugh the "dodge these moves before I'll re-enter the arena" is annoying.

I... I probably would buy a DmC: Vergil's Downfall 2

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fereydun posted:

I think they're both trying to convey the same thing with different graphics. Yamato is so anime cool that it can cut the air from really far away, man.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007

Hel posted:

Sure, but that doesn't magically play a guitar solo.

BTW Can anyone read Agnus notepad? I can make out "Nero=Dante=???" as a headline but I wonder if there is actually more text on it.

It's kinda hard to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kTbbJjxSM

Seriously though, I can't tell if Agnus has lovely handwriting or if they aren't words to begin with.

http://i.imgur.com/r1dsvkc.png?1

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Well to be fair, he does use the same "hold a trigger to active the red and blue move sets" but unlike Dante his move set is fun, his DT is fun, you have access to everything at all times, and while your levels are literally in one case copy->pasted they're still massively improved over Dante since there is a hell of a lot less meandering platforming and mid-level cutscenes. His Vergil fight is also kind of fun but ugh the "dodge these moves before I'll re-enter the arena" is annoying.

I... I probably would buy a DmC: Vergil's Downfall 2

I just beat it yesterday, and agree with all of this. I wouldn't mind trying out NT's next game if they applied everything they learned from the combat in Vergil's Downfall and the Definitive Edition. It would be good if it was something completely new, rather than a weird hybrid of DMC and Heavenly Sword though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Vergil's super judgement cut annihilated all but two scarecrows in that one room from Legendary Dark Knight mission 7 in a single shot, drat.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Fighting Sanctus as Lady is rough. Maybe she has another way to destroy his shield other than closing the gap with her devilbringer-like and hitting him with the bayonet, but it was a lot harder doing this than either Sanctus fight with Nero.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Fighting Sanctus as Lady is rough. Maybe she has another way to destroy his shield other than closing the gap with her devilbringer-like and hitting him with the bayonet, but it was a lot harder doing this than either Sanctus fight with Nero.

Charged shotgun will wreck him and also every boss.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
every boss in dmc4 besides dante has parts where they just stand there for no reason

hit them with level 3 missile when that happens and win

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She can damage his shield with her rockets, her charged gun shot, or by enemy-stepping off him with a shotgun repeatedly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I was never super comfortable using the shotgun against Sanctus, so my primary attack strategy was to dance around him while firing charged pistol shots, being careful to avoid using charge shot level 3 when his outer shield was weak. After his outer shield was gone I used the grapple to pull him down, then hit him with a charged rocket. Early on you can reliably hit him with a level 3 rocket, but later you might want to stick to level 2 charge. If you time things right, you can hit him with a level 2 (sometimes 3) rocket when he reforms his shield, too, which almost immediately shatters it.

The real kicker for Sanctus is the final phase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The real kicker for Sanctus is the final phase.

Stand close to him. As soon as he 'twitches' right before he stabs use forward->melee. The spinning attack reflects his stab and has a huge amount of hit-frames to do so with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Stand close to him. As soon as he 'twitches' right before he stabs use forward->melee. The spinning attack reflects his stab and has a huge amount of hit-frames to do so with.

Huh, I didn't know that. I already beat him, but that will definitely be useful to know for future runs.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the same trick works with Vergil too. It's pretty easy but if you mess it up you will eat poo poo and probably get hit another 3-4 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Max concentration Upper Slash for Vergil is the counter to Sanctus' Stinger spam. That poo poo has stupid range; you'll nail the sumbitch from across the room just by doing the move as he lunges

• Locked thread