Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
TFC talk: You absolutely should get a pal to play it with. Its a whole other experience with someone to share the load, and not in a "Anything can be fun in multiplayer, stupid." way either. Alot of TFC's mechanics are rewarding with cooperation, from farming to animal husbandry. The peak example of this being the smelting process for the more complex alloys.

So is anyone else unreasonabley hyped for "Blightfall 2.0"? I say unreasonably because I know its still going to be the same lovely minecraft combat, but man i cant wait to fight the world for my right to live on a world that very much wants me dead and turn it into a industrialized hellscape paradise for the colonists. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Thyrork posted:

TFC talk: You absolutely should get a pal to play it with. Its a whole other experience with someone to share the load, and not in a "Anything can be fun in multiplayer, stupid." way either. Alot of TFC's mechanics are rewarding with cooperation, from farming to animal husbandry. The peak example of this being the smelting process for the more complex alloys.

So is anyone else unreasonabley hyped for "Blightfall 2.0"? I say unreasonably because I know its still going to be the same lovely minecraft combat, but man i cant wait to fight the world for my right to live on a world that very much wants me dead and turn it into a industrialized hellscape paradise for the colonists. :getin:

I have been thinking about redoing blightfall and going thaum from the start, no tech no hqm
why fight the taint, use it..

also use water buckets to clear taint tendrils

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 6, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thyrork posted:

How stupid would we be to start blightfall today? We're really tired of our Agrarian skies map and blightfall seems really cool. I guess a full start would be needed for the new version?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

After traveling around for a few kilometers, I figured out I have spawned in Sedimentary Hell. I just cheated in a little bit of copper to make the kit and started digging down. Naturally, I found a huge coal vein under my cabin. I then punched into an igneous extrusive layer. Can I now expect to run into something more interesting?

Getting ore out of the second and third rock layers is always a lot more challenging because you can't rely on the surface pebbles to do the prospecting for you. You're going to burn through an assload of wood and probably destroy your picks before you find anything.

I'd either make a new map, or make about a zillion small clay vessels for your stuff and start heading towards the equator. Use F3 to find the temperature of the biome, and try to stick between 10 and 25 degrees (for hot hot fruit tree action.) If you can find and tame a horse for the journey, so much the better.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

How stupid would we be to start blightfall today? We're really tired of our Agrarian skies map and blightfall seems really cool. I guess a full start would be needed for the new version?

That's correct. We've fallen behind on getting it out but it is coming out really really soon. I wouldn't suggest starting now sorry :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Getting ore out of the second and third rock layers is always a lot more challenging because you can't rely on the surface pebbles to do the prospecting for you. You're going to burn through an assload of wood and probably destroy your picks before you find anything.

I'd either make a new map, or make about a zillion small clay vessels for your stuff and start heading towards the equator. Use F3 to find the temperature of the biome, and try to stick between 10 and 25 degrees (for hot hot fruit tree action.) If you can find and tame a horse for the journey, so much the better.

I'm on an island. A large island, but an island nonetheless. I guess I'm starting over. I'll just cheat some crap in so I can act like I was in the new seed the whole time.

I found a continent with metamorphic rock, but now no sedimentary rock. How large are these rock layers generally?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

30.5 Days posted:

That's correct. We've fallen behind on getting it out but it is coming out really really soon. I wouldn't suggest starting now sorry :(

Shame on you for not releasing this free entertainment fast enough.

Blightfall is such a cool idea, but the bugs and execution just ruined it for me on its first release, I'm really glad it's getting the overhaul it needs. Really looking forward to it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Guess I'll wait for it too! I downloaded it cause I saw updates to 2.0+ and I figured that was the new version. Looked pretty neat from what I played of it so far.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm on an island. A large island, but an island nonetheless. I guess I'm starting over. I'll just cheat some crap in so I can act like I was in the new seed the whole time.

I found a continent with metamorphic rock, but now no sedimentary rock. How large are these rock layers generally?

They're pretty big. Exploration is a big part of TFC; you need a lot of disparate materials to really get you going.

Metamorphic layers are perfectly serviceable; they have flux by way of Marble so you won't really need the sedimentary layer until much later in the "tech tree." All sedimentary layers really offer you is kaolinite; coal is markedly inferior to charcoal in TFC and mostly exists as a convenience item for heating forges, and stuff like rock salt and sylvite is nice to have but not required. Food generation in TFC is tuned for multiplayer servers, so as long as you explore and pick up the food as it matures, your food will rot before you get around to eating it (especially if you are preserving food with brine, smoke, and pickling.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do you generally have a bunch of outposts or something then?

What kind of gets me is that 4/5 of the worlds I started put me on sedimentary islands. To even leave the islands to check the larger world, I'd need to build a boat, and I'd need a saw for that. So I was going to have to pan no matter what. I'm trying to use the Omp TFC pack. Should I consider a different one? I wonder if I'm hitting different terrain generation parameters. All the videos I saw online had people out in open land somewhere. The most recent seed I made has a large enough island where I think I can actually do that this time.

Is there a debug method for checking rock layers and things like that? All I can think to do is look at the rocks in chasms.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

You are supposed to use an alchemy golem to automate the arcane furnace and jars. Or just crystallize all the essences for later.

Yeah I got told that later at some point when I was rambling about how my pipes weren't working, it's just completely unintuitive to me as a solution. I'm not even sure why the golems I spawned in with creative weren't doing what I ordered them.

It's up there with program writing mods for me at the moment, not something I want bother with at all.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What kind of gets me is that 4/5 of the worlds I started put me on sedimentary islands. To even leave the islands to check the larger world, I'd need to build a boat, and I'd need a saw for that. So I was going to have to pan no matter what. I'm trying to use the Omp TFC pack. Should I consider a different one? I wonder if I'm hitting different terrain generation parameters. All the videos I saw online had people out in open land somewhere. The most recent seed I made has a large enough island where I think I can actually do that this time.

Is there a debug method for checking rock layers and things like that? All I can think to do is look at the rocks in chasms.

Depending on the map, yeah you can get outposts, especially when you end up with an area for mining that you keep coming back to. Stock with water and food, etc. I would honestly tell you to just flip on creative mode and fly around until you find a place you like that is more than an island. I usually do that when I want to build my estate and jam a source block up on a cliff so I get a waterfall that I then just harness the flow of for farming.

And as said once you get down under the first layer you'll be leaning on your prospectors pick, luck, and support beams and not nuggets to guess whats in the area. You'll be burning up tools if you don't have a steady-ish supply of metal to replace as you chop out a search grid.

I had a seed with a bajillion copper around once you swam off the spawning island onto the main continent but I cannot for the life of me find it right now. I don't remember if there is something you can do to check the stone in the area besides picking up pebbles, but it is mostly going to just be about whats in the top layer. The dirt and sand types will tell you as well. Deeper requires exploration.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nah, I just do a LOT of exploring before I settle down. I generally won't even bother to build a base in the early game until I've found enough copper for a saw and a chisel, and I prefer to also find flux, clay, raw hide, and add waypoints for the location of some fruit trees before I really make a base. After I find a convenient source of clay and fresh water, then I'll build a base and start smelting the copper and/or alloying the bronze components that I've found, as well as planting seeds. It is usually summer by the time this happens, possibly later. Then, when it's time to cull the landscape for later-tier stuff, I will have a horse tamed and ready to extend my daily range significantly. (Until I drive the drat horse off the edge of a ravine :argh:)

The fact that you're starting on islands is a little weird. I usually get some pretty seriously large continents when I play. Maybe try another pack? I usually just put together the packs myself using MultiMC (with a minimap mod, invtweaks, waila, and maybe fastcraft if I remember.) I haven't actually played TFC in a dog's age, though, so the pack I made is probably out of date and broken.

I'm not sure about the rock layer question, so I'll answer it pretty comprehensively. The first (surface) rock layer is easily determined by the rocks you find on the ground. Rock layers are generated first in terms of layer type (sedimentary, etc), then inside each layer type are different varieties of the stone in that layer type (rock salt, limestone, etc.)

I don't really worry too much about the second and third rock layers, honestly. However, if you want to know what they are, your best bet is to find a mountainous area, then check around the base of the mountains for exposed stone. Usually the second rock layer will jut up out of the ground around the base of the mountains, and give you an idea of what to expect. I also want to say that the stone around hot springs betrays the content of the third and deepest rock layer, but I'm not 100% on that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How is this copper thing supposed to work in TFC? I blew two day cycles trying to pan, and two more trying to find some in the four cardinal directions. No dice. I got iron, and just enough copper from panning to make a saw. So I am glad I could make a door, but I was hoping for a pick.
Pick up a bunch of dumb rocks on the ground. Later use the prospecting pick + mining pick to locate a vein. Veins of copper are GIGANTIC in this game, so actually finding it is quite annoying compared to vanilla minecraft.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Pick up a bunch of dumb rocks on the ground. Later use the prospecting pick + mining pick to locate a vein. Veins of copper are GIGANTIC in this game, so actually finding it is quite annoying compared to vanilla minecraft.

How is it annoying? You don't have to mine every last scrap of copper you find. I'll generally carve out what I think I'll need immediately and just leave the rest in the ground to pick up later. Inventory management is annoying enough in TFC without having to build a zillion chests to store ore in.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

How is it annoying? You don't have to mine every last scrap of copper you find. I'll generally carve out what I think I'll need immediately and just leave the rest in the ground to pick up later. Inventory management is annoying enough in TFC without having to build a zillion chests to store ore in.
Finding the vein is annoying. Mining it is not annoying.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Finding the vein is annoying. Mining it is not annoying.

Oh, I read that as "stumbling upon a huge vein of copper that I gotta mine out and store is annoying," not "locating the vein in the first place is annoying."

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Synnr posted:

Yeah I got told that later at some point when I was rambling about how my pipes weren't working, it's just completely unintuitive to me as a solution. I'm not even sure why the golems I spawned in with creative weren't doing what I ordered them.

Right click the arcane furnace with the golem. Then right click the golem with a bell, then right click a jar in the collection of jars.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SugarAddict posted:

Right click the arcane furnace with the golem. Then right click the golem with a bell, then right click a jar in the collection of jars.

Make sure you have attached an alchemy core to your golem.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

THE PENETRATOR posted:

some Thaumcraft addon put giant death portal biomes in my game and I can't figure out which one it was.

this killed me instantly O_O

How do I disable this.

Thaumic Horizons. Pocket Planes are apparently supposed to be like mystcraft ages that you make via essentia? I dunno, I didn't read into the details. It sounds like that one has death aspect maybe.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So I restarted in TFC and finally found a spot where it looks like metamorphic rock hits sedimentary rock. I decide to set up camp, and my hunger and thirst immediately plummet when I drop out of cheat mode into survival mode. Um.. hooray?

Well I stabilized that and started looking for clay. The rain level was 250, so I wasn't going to find any. So I got to run around for 5 kilometers anyways!

Yeah I don't know about this.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So I restarted in TFC and finally found a spot where it looks like metamorphic rock hits sedimentary rock. I decide to set up camp, and my hunger and thirst immediately plummet when I drop out of cheat mode into survival mode. Um.. hooray?

Well I stabilized that and started looking for clay. The rain level was 250, so I wasn't going to find any. So I got to run around for 5 kilometers anyways!

Yeah I don't know about this.
Isn't clay everywhere? It's just under the yellow grass stuff or something. I don't know if they changed it, but that's how it was last time I played TFC.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Isn't clay everywhere? It's just under the yellow grass stuff or something. I don't know if they changed it, but that's how it was last time I played TFC.

No -- there is a minimum amount of rainfall before any will generate. You'll never find it in areas with the scrubby-looking grass.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The tfc forum has a special subforum for seeds, which is how I'm getting started. There's a few "clay and flux stone and copper everywhere" seeds in there. I'd link it but I'm phone posting.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

McFrugal posted:

Thaumic Horizons. Pocket Planes are apparently supposed to be like mystcraft ages that you make via essentia? I dunno, I didn't read into the details. It sounds like that one has death aspect maybe.

yeah i figured it out. Horizons has no config anyway so I had to dump the biome info and disable a conflict from BoP and also remake my world

mod makers suck rear end

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

yeah i figured it out. Horizons has no config anyway so I had to dump the biome info and disable a conflict from BoP and also remake my world

mod makers suck rear end

Speaking of, here's another lovely modder

quote:

WARNING: When updating to BETA 3 all vanilla crops and seeds already in a world will be deleted, sorry for the inconvenience.

I've no idea why a modder thinks it is okay to remove vanilla items from a world as part of fixing his own mod. And this current update path removed a bunch of functionality from the mod, such as crops, potions, charms, and decorative blocks which will be "added back later".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

lolmer posted:

Speaking of, here's another lovely modder

I've no idea why a modder thinks it is okay to remove vanilla items from a world as part of fixing his own mod. And this current update path removed a bunch of functionality from the mod, such as crops, potions, charms, and decorative blocks which will be "added back later".

I'm glad I haven't even tried updating Magical Crops in the last 9 months. The only issue with my current version is platinum seed recipe being hosed up (requires nickle crops not seeds).

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I hope I don't get flamed for this but here goes. I read the OP and still have questions. I have a son who is 9 and is addicted to this game. I bought the game for him and thought that would be enough. Wrong. He is now asking me to get him mods for the game and I'm hesitant to just do a random search since it seems a lot of places really piss off my antivirus program. The few I did download have error messages (even some from the OP) so figured I'd go to the end of the thread and ask my goon mates what place can I reliably download mods and what mod is currently thee best mod (I know there must be some kind of consensus) and where can I get it? I know nothing about the game really but my son would be tickled pink if I could tell him I installed a mod. Thanks for any help.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Tony Homo posted:

I hope I don't get flamed for this but here goes. I read the OP and still have questions.

I haven't really played in a while but I think http://www.technicpack.net/ should get you going.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Tony Homo posted:

I hope I don't get flamed for this but here goes. I read the OP and still have questions. I have a son who is 9 and is addicted to this game. I bought the game for him and thought that would be enough. Wrong. He is now asking me to get him mods for the game and I'm hesitant to just do a random search since it seems a lot of places really piss off my antivirus program. The few I did download have error messages (even some from the OP) so figured I'd go to the end of the thread and ask my goon mates what place can I reliably download mods and what mod is currently thee best mod (I know there must be some kind of consensus) and where can I get it? I know nothing about the game really but my son would be tickled pink if I could tell him I installed a mod. Thanks for any help.

The Technic launcher is a great go-to for a modpack (http://www.technicpack.net). Of the sites that allow *individual* mod downloading, I'd have to go with Curse (https://www.curse.com). I recognize others might not be crazy about Curse, but I'll be honest - they've been above board with me and every other mod author I know, and they do validate all of the mods that go on their site.

Stay away from PlanetMinecraft and Minecraft9 or whatever they're called. If your son has a particular mod in mind, google that mod directly and then if they have an official website, downloading them from there can work well. Obviously, still run a virus scan.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Why not go for one of the mod packs? Are you trying to introduce a mod into your son's existing world?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Well maybe something in the changelog would give a compelling reason...

quote:

- Added: Nature essence when right clicked on dirt turns it into grass
- Change: Dye essence is now called Technicolor essence
- Fix: Some incorrect essence names changed and fixed
- Added: Wither and Ender dragons drop zivicio essence when killed (this is configurable on/off and how much essence is dropped)
- Added: Passive & Hotile mobs drop minicio essence when killed (this is configurable on/off and the % chance of getting the drop)
- Fix: Zivicio flight should be more stable now
- Added: Ability to disable Zivicio armour flight in configs
- Changed: Some file names for crops/Seeds, mainly all vanilla crops/seeds will disappear if updating from BETA 2 or an older version of Magical Crops (Sorry but codes much clearner now)
- Added: Ultimate Diamond, Emerald, Ultimate Emerald apples (these can be disabled in configs)
LOL nope haha why did I bother?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well maybe something in the changelog would give a compelling reason...

LOL nope haha why did I bother?

Yeah, I'm surprised at how crappy his code was, or how crappy his new "clearner" (sic) code is, that would require the deletion of vanilla items to fix his own mod. I mean, why is he changing the file names for vanilla crops and their seeds and somehow claiming this as an improvement? Won't this break every other mod that uses a crop or seed, along with resource packs?

I'm just glad that Project E is doing so well (all hail the return of EE2!) so that mods like Magical Crops can just go away.

EDIT: Add Project E wins comment. :)

lolmer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 7, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Tony Homo posted:

There are currently 3 main modding systems available with access to online servers as well. (although you dont need to go online to play modded)

Technic Launcher (already mentioned)
FTB Launcher
AT Launcher

Google any of those to get them, They all have packs available for download as and when you want to try something, Technic launcher has a lot of packs available by search,

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
More Terrafirmacraft questions. Do you generally find a spot where you can pick up enough surface copper to make a pick from just one rough area? I have not been so fortunate. There were a few tetrahedrite patches I have noted, but I only got something like 3 from each of them. I might be able to make some bronze with the other stuff I found, but it's odd to me I'm having so much more luck with that than copper... again.

Now I am set up in an area between metamorphic and sedimentary surfaces, and right at the edge of the tree line. It opens up to really shoddy plains where I can more clearly see different stones on the ground. I've seen a variety of things within 400 meters around: sphalerite, gold, magnetite, garnierite, and bismuthinite. However, I've only barely seen any copper-like stuff.

The area I was going to first start in--until I found out I couldn't get any clay--had exposed copper veins. I guess I have to just bumble my way to a bronze pick or something and run back there to bang away for some time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

More Terrafirmacraft questions. Do you generally find a spot where you can pick up enough surface copper to make a pick from just one rough area? I have not been so fortunate. There were a few tetrahedrite patches I have noted, but I only got something like 3 from each of them. I might be able to make some bronze with the other stuff I found, but it's odd to me I'm having so much more luck with that than copper... again.

Now I am set up in an area between metamorphic and sedimentary surfaces, and right at the edge of the tree line. It opens up to really shoddy plains where I can more clearly see different stones on the ground. I've seen a variety of things within 400 meters around: sphalerite, gold, magnetite, garnierite, and bismuthinite. However, I've only barely seen any copper-like stuff.

The area I was going to first start in--until I found out I couldn't get any clay--had exposed copper veins. I guess I have to just bumble my way to a bronze pick or something and run back there to bang away for some time.

It's pretty rare to pick up enough copper-bearing ore from a single spot. There's usually 2-7 or so nuggets. One trick, as dumb as it sounds, is to search more thoroughly in the area once you've found one. The ground nuggets are actually kinda hard to spot, and have a tendency to hind behind trees or other clutter. I have marked a copper nugget spot on my minimap, then come back later to mine out the vein underneath and found more nuggets that I simply overlooked on my first pass through.

It's also possible that the nuggets are being generated by a vein in the second layer, which makes them quite a bit less likely to spawn (as the nugget to vein relationship has a maximum range that doesn't really show up unless the second layer is pretty close to the surface.)

Also, are you purposefully setting up near sedimentary layers, or is it just what you've been getting in your world? If it's on purpose, why bother with sedimentary layers at all?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Those are some fair points. As for:

Glory of Arioch posted:

Also, are you purposefully setting up near sedimentary layers, or is it just what you've been getting in your world? If it's on purpose, why bother with sedimentary layers at all?

This has been my sin-cursed luck. I can't remember now, but I think only in the last seed did I spawn somewhere that was not kilometers of sedimentary rock. The first seed might have been fine, but I had set myself for a nighttime of perpetual dying since I had no idea what was going on. The next 4 seeds were all kilometers of sedimentary. The only reason I am near one right now is that I had to backtrack for clay. I was at a spot with an exposed copper vein, but the rain level was only 250, so I had no method of casting the pick I'd need to mine it all. The main reason I'm happy at all in being a spot where the layers are mixing is that it gives me access to future iron deposits and flux in particular . . . I think.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

TFC requires a lot of long distance travel, you'll never have one place with everything, and having to travel several thousand blocks to find some things isn't unusual. My usual start is to just run around exploring for several days, moving generally south, picking up copper/tin/zinc/bismuth nuggets (you can cast bronze tools), food (crops) and clay (look for the yellow flowers) and marking everything I find with waypoints. Eventually you have enough nuggets to make the first pick/propick and can settle down somewhere nice, then head back to one of the places you found copper nuggets and find the vein beneath it. If things are really bad and you don't like swimming, you may have to resort to panning for those first copper, which isn't that bad even with the chunk exhaustion.

Some kind of mod that lets you warp around is essential for me, due to the distances. I usually play on servers that have towny (outposts) or the sethome/home commands (not sure what they're from).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm yeah something like a cheated in warp book or whatever would probably help. I wonder if it would work with the overridden hunger mechanics. I think I'd be complaining a lot less with that, so I will see if I can shimmy that in tonight.

I wonder how easy it is to make addons for TFC, since I think it would improve greatly if random stuff washed up on beaches beside oceans over time. It would make an area people rarely care about due to the salt water and turn it into a nice standby if all else fails and panning is no fun. If some saplings washed up, it could even help the people that seem to get islands all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

All the travel requirements are why I prioritize taming a horse over a lot of stuff. You need rope, leather, flux, and grains, but this is doable with pre-metal tools (you can process leather and jute in large clay vessels, and you need flux to make the limewater needed to process hide into leather.)

Once you have the horse, your speed increases significantly, and the 1-block step assist is not bad either. Horses (and most animals other than chickens) tend to spawn more frequently in the low-rainfall, scrubby grass areas, so they have some value.