Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Vulture Culture posted:

Show, don't tell.

Awesome phrase and one I'll try to keep in mind. Right now I'm trying to write an Indeed headline or a LinkedIn summary that fits in the default window, so I'm strapped for characters. Specifically, I've got "A Windows System Administrator capable in Linux and Networking." Capable isn't a very hard sell, but it's about as hard as I deserve.

Honestly, I am just trying to get pinged by as many recruiters as possible right now, hopefully I'm careful enough with keywords and am specific about products I've used that they aren't crap. I just got on Indeed and have gotten some great responses already. I don't know anything about getting recruited on LinkedIn because it has never happened to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Roargasm posted:

Awesome phrase and one I'll try to keep in mind. Right now I'm trying to write an Indeed headline or a LinkedIn summary that fits in the default window, so I'm strapped for characters. Specifically, I've got "A Windows System Administrator capable in Linux and Networking." Capable isn't a very hard sell, but it's about as hard as I deserve.

Honestly, I am just trying to get pinged by as many recruiters as possible right now, hopefully I'm careful enough with keywords and am specific about products I've used that they aren't crap. I just got on Indeed and have gotten some great responses already. I don't know anything about getting recruited on LinkedIn because it has never happened to me.

I use 'Skilled'. I feel like it sounds better.

And I never said *how* skilled so I'm not lying.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Antioch posted:

I use 'Skilled'. I feel like it sounds better.

And I never said *how* skilled so I'm not lying.

Similar vein, I actually dropped out of highschool. I leave anything education related off of my resume and, when asked about my education, I usually go into "well, college wasn't really an option for me financially..." and talk a bit about being a cook from 18 to 25. Nobody has ever actually asked me directly if I've graduated from highschool.

But, yeah. It's kind of sad that we're still in an era where "being able to intelligently discuss everything under skills" puts you above 90% of the competition. We were interviewing candidates for a senior linux admin recently and the talent pool is really, really dry around here. We had one guy with C/C++ on his resume and I didn't even get a chance to ask him simple C questions because he immediately cut me off to tell me how he doesn't really know that much about programming languages. Hmm.

That this guy made it past the phone screen says something about the talent pool, I guess. We ended up way overpaying a midlevel candidate for the senior position because he was the only person who didn't completely bomb every portion of the technical interview, at he was at least up front with me (and on his resume) about not being very strong with the network side of things. For all of our other candidates I did the networking portion of the technical interview and being able to describe a subnet mask was about as far as anybody got, despite having a variety of networking related terminology proudly displayed under "skills and technologies".

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
So is the consensus that if you want to get on recruiter's radar you need to fill that skills section with specific bullshit like NETAPP, CISCO, LAMP? I'm only looking for architecture and management roles at this point so should I fill it with RISK MANAGEMENT, LEVERAGING VERTICALS, SYNERGY ARCHITECTURE?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

whaam posted:

So is the consensus that if you want to get on recruiter's radar you need to fill that skills section with specific bullshit like NETAPP, CISCO, LAMP? I'm only looking for architecture and management roles at this point so should I fill it with RISK MANAGEMENT, LEVERAGING VERTICALS, SYNERGY ARCHITECTURE?

When I'm evaluating a candidate, I take the "skills" section with a grain of salt (if there is one, your work history should tell me what your skills are). If it's not mentioned in the work history, I've found SKILLS=SOMETHING I READ ABOUT ONCE.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

whaam posted:

When I'm on the job market, I have versions of my resume/LinkedIn profile that I fill with a ton of poo poo keywords so they show up in searches. When recruiters ask me for my updated resume, I give them the real one.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
FortiNet's GUI is messy but if I can use it I expect most anyone can. I've managed FortiGate 90D units for about the last five years and have mostly good experiences with them. I've switched over to their CLI for most everything.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

Can someone recommend me a good firewall/IPS appliance? Something with a user-friendly GUI but the ability to tweak and customize from the CLI if necessary. Looking at Untangle and Barracuda currently.

Palo Alto. The UI is dead simple.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

FortiNet's GUI is messy but if I can use it I expect most anyone can. I've managed FortiGate 90D units for about the last five years and have mostly good experiences with them. I've switched over to their CLI for most everything.

Yeah, the GUI is a confusing mess of "what the hell is THIS doing HERE?"

The CLI is a much better interface, plus if you use their management appliance or any other type of configuration management tool, pushing scripts is pretty straightforward using CLI commands.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KennyTheFish posted:

Palo Alto. The UI is dead simple.
I don't think I'd recommend anything else at this point.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't think I'd recommend anything else at this point.

How's it compare to Check Point and SourceFire?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

internet jerk posted:

How's it compare to Check Point and SourceFire?
I haven't used the Cisco+Sourcefire stuff. Cisco people using the Sourcefire-integrated ASAs don't seem to feel left out of the party versus Check Point and Palo Alto users anymore, but I haven't seen anybody really super-enthusiastic about them either. CP and PA both have really performant architectures with lots and lots of super-efficient hardware offload. Palo Alto's built-in app signatures are super-easy to work with (though sometimes the inference can be a little buggy; STOMP MQ didn't play nicely with whatever profile it detected, for example), the logging and reporting work really well (besides the fact that you sometimes have to crawl around the GUI to cross-reference logs from different subsystems; it might be worth deploying Splunk or something if this is something you do often). They make their product really easy to demo. Their support, from what I've seen, is a lot more competent than what you'll get from Check Point. And of course, PA's mostly sane and competent interface is the big sell.

Their sales can be a little weird. At a previous job, after a demo, our networking group sort of had a pair of them just show up at the door. We didn't order them. They were like "oh yeah, here, try these out for awhile. No rush. Send them back if you don't like them." I think we finally got around to testing them two or three months later and were sold within the week.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 5, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

I haven't used the Cisco+Sourcefire stuff. Cisco people using the Sourcefire-integrated ASAs don't seem to feel left out of the party versus Check Point and Palo Alto users anymore, but I haven't seen anybody really super-enthusiastic about them either. CP and PA both have really performant architectures with lots and lots of super-efficient hardware offload. Palo Alto's built-in app signatures are super-easy to work with (though sometimes the inference can be a little buggy; STOMP MQ didn't play nicely with whatever profile it detected, for example), the logging and reporting work really well (besides the fact that you sometimes have to crawl around the GUI to cross-reference logs from different subsystems; it might be worth deploying Splunk or something if this is something you do often). They make their product really easy to demo. Their support, from what I've seen, is a lot more competent than what you'll get from Check Point. And of course, PA's mostly sane and competent interface is the big sell.

Their sales can be a little weird. At a previous job, after a demo, our networking group sort of had a pair of them just show up at the door. We didn't order them. They were like "oh yeah, here, try these out for awhile. No rush. Send them back if you don't like them." I think we finally got around to testing them two or three months later and were sold within the week.

I've seen some of their demo's and am leaning towards replacing an aging ASA with a something from Palo Alto. In your experience how is their pricing compared to Cisco? Do they break down features to separate licenses and then charge you a ton depending on what you want or is it more of a pay for it all type deal?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've seen some of their demo's and am leaning towards replacing an aging ASA with a something from Palo Alto. In your experience how is their pricing compared to Cisco? Do they break down features to separate licenses and then charge you a ton depending on what you want or is it more of a pay for it all type deal?
I wasn't responsible for the buy, so I'll let someone else chime in here.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody here with experience in cloud OSX offerings? Got some developers that want/need an apple OS environment they can use and I was looking at a few (https://www.macstadium.com , https://www.macincloud.com , https://www.xcloud.me , https://www.hostmyapple.com ). Just looking for some input from somebody that's done this. I did a pretty thorough comparison on those 4's offerings and they're all different in their own special snowflake way (pricing based on bandwidth, storage, dedicated server, etc) MacStadium looks to be the only real *legit* company, whereas the others look like little more than a basement business (could be wrong).

I paid $25 for 1 month at HostMyApple (the cheapest available with root access) and already I'm waiting for them to turn it back on for me (because I installed updates, and I guess the server just didn't come back up).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody here with experience in butt OSX offerings? Got some developers that want/need an apple OS environment they can use and I was looking at a few (https://www.macstadium.com , https://www.macinbutt.com , https://www.xbutt.me , https://www.hostmyapple.com ). Just looking for some input from somebody that's done this. I did a pretty thorough comparison on those 4's offerings and they're all different in their own special snowflake way (pricing based on bandwidth, storage, dedicated server, etc) MacStadium looks to be the only real *legit* company, whereas the others look like little more than a basement business (could be wrong).

I paid $25 for 1 month at HostMyApple (the cheapest available with root access) and already I'm waiting for them to turn it back on for me (because I installed updates, and I guess the server just didn't come back up).

I'm sorry, but my Butt to Butt plugin made your post amazing. http://www.xbutt.me. :getin:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm a littie dissapopinted that they didn't buy macinbutt.com and redirect to macincloud.com because it's gonna happen a billion times.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm a littie dissapopinted that they didn't buy macinbutt.com and redirect to macincloud.com because it's gonna happen a billion times.

"It was a million to one shot, doc"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody here with experience in cloud OSX offerings? Got some developers that want/need an apple OS environment they can use and I was looking at a few (https://www.macstadium.com , https://www.macincloud.com , https://www.xcloud.me , https://www.hostmyapple.com ). Just looking for some input from somebody that's done this. I did a pretty thorough comparison on those 4's offerings and they're all different in their own special snowflake way (pricing based on bandwidth, storage, dedicated server, etc) MacStadium looks to be the only real *legit* company, whereas the others look like little more than a basement business (could be wrong).

We're one of MacStadium's biggest customers, if not the biggest. They're a great company, a bunch of really hard-working guys. They have a lot of non-Mac hosting offerings at a really great price too, but they don't advertise them. Speak to Jason and tell him that Jeff from Rabbit referred you. If you're planning on more than a few boxes, he'll give you whatever you need to evaluate them.

e: They also have a power management API, which sounds relevant to your current situation. Someone is also manning support 24x7.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mayodreams posted:

I'm sorry, but my Butt to Butt plugin made your post amazing. http://www.xbutt.me. :getin:

This made me laugh too hard at my desk. That is amazing.

MacInButt

Vulture Culture posted:

We're one of MacStadium's biggest customers, if not the biggest. They're a great company, a bunch of really hard-working guys. They have a lot of non-Mac hosting offerings at a really great price too, but they don't advertise them. Speak to Jason and tell him that Jeff from Rabbit referred you. If you're planning on more than a few boxes, he'll give you whatever you need to evaluate them.

e: They also have a power management API, which sounds relevant to your current situation. Someone is also manning support 24x7.

That's awesome to hear, thanks. I've already killed it twice (this time by simply enabling internet sharing for apache? wtf?) and am waiting on them to turn it back on. Pretty dumb. MacStadium was my pick for the one to with for the long haul. We have a mini here on prem that the devs used but they were asking about cloud (hehe butt) offerings, so I just signed up for HostMyApple to try some stuff out before messing with the devs mini. (also, RabbitMQ?)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You still can't virtualize OS X per the licensing, correct? Are these hosting companies just warehousing stacks of mac minis and calling it the cloud?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Erwin posted:

You still can't virtualize OS X per the licensing, correct? Are these hosting companies just warehousing stacks of mac minis and calling it the cloud?

Relevant:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
(Unless they changed it) you can virtualize it in ESXi, as long as it's running on Apple hardware. Macstadium appears to offer true virtualized OSX running on Mac Pros, and others may as well, but some are also offering slices on MacMinis or MacPros or dedicated Macs.

Apple is terrible.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Erwin posted:

FISHMANPET posted:

(Unless they changed it) you can virtualize it in ESXi, as long as it's running on Apple hardware. Macstadium appears to offer true virtualized OSX running on Mac Pros, and others may as well, but some are also offering slices on MacMinis or MacPros or dedicated Macs.

Apple is terrible.

Most of them offer dedicated mac mini's or pro's. At the moment, our dev's mini is sitting on somebody's desk. They can vpn into it and all that, but they're looking for something with redundancy, which I don't even think these "cloud" offerings can do that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone shipped IT equipment from USA to UK? I need to loan a stack of USA laptops to the UK, but I don't want them to think I'm like an importer or something and charge VAT tax. We already paid sales tax in the US for them. How would I go about sending a bulk package like that and who's the best for it between USPS/FedEx/UPS?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

(Unless they changed it) you can virtualize it in ESXi, as long as it's running on Apple hardware.
Xserves were actually very pretty. It's a shame Apple stopped making them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone shipped IT equipment from USA to UK? I need to loan a stack of USA laptops to the UK, but I don't want them to think I'm like an importer or something and charge VAT tax. We already paid sales tax in the US for them. How would I go about sending a bulk package like that and who's the best for it between USPS/FedEx/UPS?

This isn't worth the hassle, in addition to the paperwork that needs to be filled out, the cost of the shipping, and going through customs and paying VAT, they could buy cheap laptops in the UK there and throw them in the trash when they're done.

I work for a big global company, and it is almost never worth it to buy something in the US and ship it somewhere else after fees, duties, customs, taxes, etc.

We did ship a bunch of equipment from the US to Costa Rica, but we used a service to handle that. It was a few pallets worth of stuff and was expensive as poo poo. But for our global locations like Hong Kong, Brazil, UK, France, we buy stuff for those offices, in those countries. It's much easier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

https://www.gov.uk/temporary-admission

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zero VGS posted:

confirming with skipdogg that this is a giant pain in the dick.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The line items were the box, premium support services, threat prevention subscriptions, URL filtering subscriptions.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I have an entry-level career question. Basically, I'm looking for opinions or recommendations on what to aim for given my background. I'm open to anything IT (or CS) related.

I have a master's in education (counseling), which means I'm close to becoming a licensed psychologist. i don't have any IT experience except for odd jobs and personal experience. Is there any occupation at all where an advanced psychology degree and/or a license would be instrumental? I would prefer not to abandon all that investment...

Perhaps 'user experience'? If so, how would you suggest I enter into that? Start at a help desk and try to jump toward that? Certs? Should I just learn programming and pray?

And now for a question with hubris: if I just cared about money, what sort of career path in IT would you suggest? I'm mostly just curious, money is only a fraction of why I want to career change.

Edit: VVVV Damnit. That sounds great.

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 7, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tenacious J posted:

I have an entry-level career question. Basically, I'm looking for opinions or recommendations on what to aim for given my background. I'm open to anything IT (or CS) related.

I have a master's in education (counseling), which means I'm close to becoming a licensed psychologist. i don't have any IT experience except for odd jobs and personal experience. Is there any occupation at all where an advanced psychology degree and/or a license would be instrumental? I would prefer not to abandon all that investment...

You were born a century too early: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robopsychology

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Those sound like really baller skills for a product manager to have if you can back that with the requisite business and marketing acumen.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tenacious J posted:

It might be helpful for some telepsych stuff, and it may help as a bridge into health informatics or something, but it's honestly not a very useful bridge from anything technical if you're starting from a skill level of zero. It may be very useful as a manager or PM, though, if you can break into that (since those roles may be largely nontechnical and driven by business needs and wrangling multiple teams, especially PM -- this is the same reason philosophy majors end up as business analysts, which you could also potentially do)

Tenacious J posted:

Perhaps 'user experience'? If so, how would you suggest I enter into that? Start at a help desk and try to jump toward that? Certs? Should I just learn programming and pray?
UX ends up being design and testing, mostly. Are you a good designer? Do you have a gut feeling for what works/is usable, or do you really like targeted focus groups?

Tenacious J posted:

And now for a question with hubris: if I just cared about money, what sort of career path in IT would you suggest? I'm mostly just curious, money is only a fraction of why I want to career change.
Something you're good at. Chasing money isn't any good if you're terrible, because nobody will pay you that much. If there was an easy route to big money, everyone would take it. Be good at your job. Work hard.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I appreciate the replies. I wouldn't call myself a great designer so perhaps UX is out then. I agree about the money.

I'll do some digging into product management - I haven't looked into that yet, thanks.

I'm really not shy about putting in some time to learn, I'd just rather avoid more post-secondary. A minimum wage help desk job while I self-teach is fine by me so long at the trajectory points in a fitting and comfortable direction.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The very open term "cyber security" is about all I deal with any more. The ffiec is about 100% focused on that! and whatever agencies regulate medical firms probably are too. Learn about log management and aggregation and policy writing and you'll be able to find work.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Erwin posted:

Xserves were actually very pretty. It's a shame Apple stopped making them.

Ugh. Yeah they were pretty, but anything where you can eject a disk by accidentally pushing on a large portion of the front of the server is just not designed by someone with any experience of how business IT functions.

Case in point, my onsite tech a few days ago, when instructed to remove an old ESXi host, informed me a few minutes later that he'd pulled power on the wrong host. The one that was temporarily hosting all the VMs at that client.

:ughh:

Basically, make it easy for people to gently caress up and they will. Form should never trump function in servers of all goddamn things. (And because I don't particularly like Xserves, naturally I still have to support two of them running 10.5 and 10.6 hosting a lovely Sharepoint clone my client paid a fast-talking Mac zealot developer $1m to create. Actually one Xserve, the other one won't boot now. Why were they different editions of OSX? No clue! Especially since the point was that one would be a hot standby. Luckily that's the one that died. I can't wait for the other one to croak).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

Ugh. Yeah they were pretty, but anything where you can eject a disk by accidentally pushing on a large portion of the front of the server is just not designed by someone with any experience of how business IT functions.

Case in point, my onsite tech a few days ago, when instructed to remove an old ESXi host, informed me a few minutes later that he'd pulled power on the wrong host. The one that was temporarily hosting all the VMs at that client.

:ughh:

Basically, make it easy for people to gently caress up and they will. Form should never trump function in servers of all goddamn things. (And because I don't particularly like Xserves, naturally I still have to support two of them running 10.5 and 10.6 hosting a lovely Sharepoint clone my client paid a fast-talking Mac zealot developer $1m to create. Actually one Xserve, the other one won't boot now. Why were they different editions of OSX? No clue! Especially since the point was that one would be a hot standby. Luckily that's the one that died. I can't wait for the other one to croak).

Absolutely form over function. That reminds me that at the job where we had Xserves, they would sag under their own weight after a while in the rack. :laffo: