Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

BlameSpacePod posted:

"They" of course means 1 person on the show while Chris and I both defended Looper on the air.

Regarding Bogus Journey, and DragonHeart, and every movie you love: sometimes we enjoy watching movies that aren't Nukie-level and I think we're able to mine it for jokes a lot easier producing all in all a better podcast. I think some of the the best episodes often come out of "middle of the road" movies. We've also gone on to recommend movies we do on the show, which I think Bogus Journey would definitely get.

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

We also mention "STAAAATION!!" a lot because it's a funny concept to us, which is probably a credit to the film we're referring to...

Don't mind me folks, I just wanted to stress despite our show name, tones, and demeanor, this show is not coming out of purely negative state. We love movies, we love watching movies, we enjoy what we do. We do it for a reason and that has to say something about even the worst movies we discuss. I always felt like we should be more-so labelled a "movie" show than a "bad movie" show.

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I want to also sincerely thank you all for listening. It's been an incredible journey going from a cynical jerk in NYC to a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy. It means the world to all of us over at WHM Headquarters. Thanks guys.

It's okay to like a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
We're just shooting the poo poo between episodes dude, this is a thread full of fans of the podcast and we all obviously like and appreciate what you do.

Considering that like half the posts in this thread are variations of "I hate bad movie podcasts but I love WHM because :words:" you know we're good people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BlameSpacePod posted:

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right.

As with most everything on the Internet, you're usually better off never reading comments on the content you put out there, and instead check subscribes and metrics on the episodes themselves to figure out if people like what you're doing. That being said, some of your best episodes are for movies you guys end up recommending. I've gotten several people to listen to your show by having them listen to the episode on Hard Target, and episode I'm pretty sure all of you loved it (can't remember if you, specifically, were on that episode, sorry).

Also, the Camp Nowhere episode was amazing, so screw anyone who didn't like it for whatever reason. Can't wait for Dragonheart tomorrow, as I remember it being a very silly movie.

edit: In other words, this:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 6, 2015

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

thrawn527 posted:

As with most everything on the Internet, you're usually better off never reading comments on the content you put out there,

You're right. Sorry for posting guys! The best trick the devil ever pulled was posting on SA and then, poof: Slenderman.

I'm out! Thank you!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's impossible to trust anyone who doesn't like that.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

BlameSpacePod posted:

You're right. Sorry for posting guys! The best trick the devil ever pulled was posting on SA and then, poof: Slenderman.

I'm out! Thank you!

Nothing's stopping you from posting misleading and cryptic hints about future episodes. just lean back and watch people trip over themselves trying to guess what movie it's going to be, sip some ice-cold Surge, and then, bam, outta nowhere, it's Nukie.

I hope the entire WHM gang loves terrible CG dogs, because once listener request time is happening, I'm going to send one their way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BlameSpacePod posted:

"They" of course means 1 person on the show while Chris and I both defended Looper on the air.

Regarding Bogus Journey, and DragonHeart, and every movie you love: sometimes we enjoy watching movies that aren't Nukie-level and I think we're able to mine it for jokes a lot easier producing all in all a better podcast. I think some of the the best episodes often come out of "middle of the road" movies. We've also gone on to recommend movies we do on the show, which I think Bogus Journey would definitely get.

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right. People complain when we did Camp Nowhere since it was "too small" of a movie, then when we do big movies like T3 or DragonHeart people complain that they "like" those movies. I genuinely like a lot of movies we've covered. I nearly shut down the mere notion of doing an episode on The Running Man for instance but then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion and often when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

We also mention "STAAAATION!!" a lot because it's a funny concept to us, which is probably a credit to the film we're referring to...

Don't mind me folks, I just wanted to stress despite our show name, tones, and demeanor, this show is not coming out of purely negative state. We love movies, we love watching movies, we enjoy what we do. We do it for a reason and that has to say something about even the worst movies we discuss. I always felt like we should be more-so labelled a "movie" show than a "bad movie" show.

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I want to also sincerely thank you all for listening. It's been an incredible journey going from a cynical jerk in NYC to a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy. It means the world to all of us over at WHM Headquarters. Thanks guys.

Now I just feel like a dick for saying anything.

I'm a big fan, even when I don't always agree (Lost World for example - we all have our faults) because I think you guys are great at what you do. I've even sought out stuff that you guys have covered (Prey For Death). My Bogus Journey comment wasn't a 'WHY ARE THEY MAKING FUN OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIE' thing, just more that I always thought Bogus Journey was well regarded. Of course ultimately what matters is if it's funny or not, which it always is. As someone else said, we're just shooting the poo poo between episodes. Though I understand how frustrating it must be to hear 'Why are they doing this/Why aren't they doing that' all the time.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Gyges posted:

It's impossible to trust anyone who doesn't like that.

I watched Hard Target just because of the WHM episode. Goddamn masterpiece, it is.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I take comfort in the knowledge that Eric Movie might be lurking around the corner at any time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I watched Hard Target just because of the WHM episode. Goddamn masterpiece, it is.

I liked Hard Target so much when I was younger that I used to have a workprint of it on SVCD because I heard it was a lot better and closer to Woo's true Director's Cut...

I like to think I was ahead of the curve at the time, but it really wasn't worth the time it took to seek it out.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

BlameSpacePod posted:

I'm really starting to feel that with WHM we can't do anything right.

when I lurk somewhere, I feel bad about the way the show is perceived but that's on us, I know. I just want to post and say, hey, dudes, I feel you and I'm not trying to crap on things just to crap on them. I want to goof around about them.

You all do a poo poo-ton right, it just happens to suck that someone who is pleased/ecstatic with a product is less likely to go online and share those feelings than someone who is displeased/upset (this forum excluded for the most part I think). The human condition is a terrible thing that tends to focus on improving what's not yet perfect rather than appreciating what's already great, but hopefully over time the complainers will realize that this attitude is what makes WHM click:

BlameSpacePod posted:

then I realized: it's OK to like a movie, let's have fun discussing it. It's just a fun conversation. I don't think we ever intend anything we say on the show to be the "definitive" opinion

What makes the show so great is that it isn't reluctant to branch out into movies that are a mix of good and bad, or straight-up We Love Movies quality, and as fans we get to enjoy you four + guests running the gamut of emotional reactions. Appreciation of Hard Target, disgust at Sabotage, baffled by Foodfight, creating alternate realities to the Pokemon show universe, it's fantastic variety and most importantly it's honest and humorous. Thanks for all the time and effort your NYC gang has put into making hundreds of hours of hilarious podcasts, it's superb entertainment!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I had to cajole three friends into giving it a shot, and within I think five minutes they were rooting so hard for the guy who gets massacred by the river and little pier. Also made me want to re-watch that season of 24 with Vosloo in it, what a great villain.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 6, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

But Bogus Journey is loving awesome. :colbert:

Hey, they've done We Love Movies before, and there's enough crazy poo poo in Bogus Journey to make it work.

BlameSpacePod posted:

Yeah, I think people have the same misconception about MST3K—that they're out to strictly make fun of movies. You guys are like them in that you play up certain aspects of a movie for the sake of humor, and then mine some of the stranger aspects to have entertaining conversations. WHM has been kicking rear end lately, so I wouldn't worry too much about a vocal minority upset that you're poking fun of multi-millionaires.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 6, 2015

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

BlameSpacePod posted:

a cynical jerk in NYC with a podcast people actually enjoy

Two. :colbert:

He's just got the two, right? Am I missing out on anything?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Two. :colbert:

He's just got the two, right? Am I missing out on anything?

I believe he guest hosts on the Eric Movie Screenplay Jamboree.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Hard Target is loving amazing and everyone should watch it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

BlameSpacePod posted:

I'm out! Thank you!

Everyone here is a fan of the show man. People are going to have minor quibbles here and there though. No biggie.

Anyway, I like the show best when they're doing an episode on a movie they loving hate and are disgusted by. There's a visceral thrill in hearing them tear apart cinematic trash like Easy Rider: The Ride Back, Boondock Saints 2 and Son of the Mask.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really want to know where the alternate cut of Son of the Mask came from.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'll just echo similar sentiments. The podcast is fine. There's nothing wrong with taking a fun movie and getting jokes out of it. I loving hate podcasts and this is the only one I really look forward to every week.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I just listened to that episode again the other day and Cajun Brimley is right up there on the list of greatest WHM impressions.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

I just listened to that episode again the other day and Cajun Brimley is right up there on the list of greatest WHM impressions.

Gawdahmoot

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

A Meat posted:

sip some ice-cold Surge,

Don't mind if I do...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ah, Surge. Buy it rip-roarin' hot, cool it back home. The 90s :allears:

Oh uh also Dragonheart is up

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Yeah, that guy posting as Eric, I'm pretty sure that's actually Secundus.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Well I mean you have to wonder with a name like Eric Szyszkundus

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah that's right, blame it on outer space why don't you.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BlameSpacePod posted:

I'm out! Thank you!

You guys are doin a great job I have about probably above 30 episodes on my phone listening when I'm driving around, or at my job cleaning offices. The comradeship between you guys is pretty great in shared enthusiasm in liking cinema and talking Staten Island dump mountains of poo poo on movies you end up hating. Plus as someone that's never been to NYC its neat to hear caveats about how you guys grew up around there. Also as someone that lives in Texas yes there are beep boop future cigarette vending machines as well as old timey knob yanking ones as well in our bars. Mainly in Austin. Gotta get you guys to come do a live show out here. If you haven't been to the Draft house or Nighthawk out there yet you'd really like the Original Alamo Drafthouses down here. End rant take it easy Eric Movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh holy poo poo, I just learned in another thread that there was a sequel to Dragonheart.

A sequel that came out in February.

The second sequel.

With Sir Ben Kingsley as Drago the Dragon.

E: and so apparently I still had 5 minutes left on the show....

sub supau fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The WHM guys have a great podcast and I've never felt indignant over them doing any movie, no matter how good or bad it's perceived in general society or how recommended it is by those goofballs.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I got a little antsy when I saw they were doing Blind Fury because I loved it as a kid, but then I remembered it's OK to like a movie. Although it's even better when other people also like a movie.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 7, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really want to know where the alternate cut of Son of the Mask came from.

The bowls of hell.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

I got a little antsy when I saw they were doing Blind Fury because I loved it as a kid, but then I remembered it's OK to like a movie. Although it's even better when other people also like a movie.

This is how I felt when I saw the episodes for Ghostbusters 2 and Mystery Men. It's weird but I feel like I enjoyed the episodes more, knowing that I genuinely enjoyed the movies? Like I didn't feel defensive or upset or anything.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I liked the Mystery Men episode because I've hated that movie ever since I saw it in theaters and it was refreshing to see someone tear it down and make fun of its one-joke premise instead of the weird apologist white-knighting that has sprung up around the movie in recent years.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, the great thing about them is that the actual movie is pretty incidental to the episodes. The funniest parts, at least to me, are the weird scenarios the cook up. Like in the "The Substitute" episode, the entire thing with Tom Berenger's Outworld Vietnam flashbacks is hilarious as hell.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

Honestly, the great thing about them is that the actual movie is pretty incidental to the episodes. The funniest parts, at least to me, are the weird scenarios the cook up. Like in the "The Substitute" episode, the entire thing with Tom Berenger's Outworld Vietnam flashbacks is hilarious as hell.

Cloudy the anthropomorphic rain cloud that follows David Schwimmer around is one of cinema's greatest characters.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Gawdahmoot

This movie was made by a WHAT?!

WHAT?!

WHAT?!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Gawdahmoot

Gawdahmawh. There we go, ready to play a Cajun.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Cloudy the anthropomorphic rain cloud that follows David Schwimmer around is one of cinema's greatest characters.

Michael Massee's Garbage Island should be its own program, where he invites celebrities to his floating mound of rot and berates them for their wealth while threatening to masturbate to the thought of their encounter later.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

BlameSpacePod posted:

You make my days at work enjoyable. I sit on my rear end and just laugh and work all day long. Seriously, your podcast is one of the better ones out there. I mean, we have 21 pages of discussion just on you guys. Keep on keepin' on!

Also, I'm still anticipating a Surf Ninjas episode. It'd be amaaazing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

e X posted:

Was that the one where Tom Berenger's character's internal monologue has long stretches of being nothing but telling himself to not kill every person he met? Because that was great.

:ohdear: DON'T KILL THEM DON'T KILL THEM DON'T KILL THEM :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Was that the one where Tom Berenger's character's internal monologue has long stretches of being nothing but telling himself to not kill every person he met? Because that was great.

:ohdear: DON'T KILL THEM DON'T KILL THEM DON'T KILL THEM :ohdear:

I think that was The Substitute.