Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Thanks Microsoft.

Welp, hopefully this gets addressed soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

The major issue is reliability and longevity, a power supply that could put out 550W when new isn't going to be able to do that when it's a few years old.
The old rule of thumb I remember is they lose 30% of their listed power delivery capacity after 5 yr and 50% after 7yr. The problem is mostly the capacitors IIRC.

Really makes me wonder about these high end PSU's that have 5-7yr warranties and what they actually cover if you try to claim them near end of the warranty period.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I keep seeing reviews for the 390X positioned against the 980/980Ti. While the marketing levels would indicate that's a good matchup, it's not, because the price points are too dissimilar. (Also, the AMD cards get thrashed repeatedly that way. :v: )

Really, they should be benchmarking the 390X against the 970, where it's ~$50 cheaper.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The old rule of thumb I remember is they lose 30% of their listed power delivery capacity after 5 yr and 50% after 7yr. The problem is mostly the capacitors IIRC.

Really makes me wonder about these high end PSU's that have 5-7yr warranties and what they actually cover if you try to claim them near end of the warranty period.
HardOCP actually re-tested a 7 year old 1000W Silverstone Olympia power supply recently, it was able to deliver up to 80% of its original rated capacity, but output quality was increasingly poor after 50%, and out-of-spec beyond 75%. I'd expect modern capacitors to fare better over time, but maybe this is optimistic. Lifespan is definitely strongly linked to temperature, so I think starting with a power supply with extra margin helps more than it might seem at first glance because running it at lower load means much lower component temperatures.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 7, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I keep seeing reviews for the 390X positioned against the 980/980Ti. While the marketing levels would indicate that's a good matchup, it's not, because the price points are too dissimilar. (Also, the AMD cards get thrashed repeatedly that way. :v: )

Really, they should be benchmarking the 390X against the 970, where it's ~$50 cheaper.

Nvidia has some glaring price/perf gaps in it's line up AMD should be trying to occupy, not trying to pretend a 2390X can use 8GB and deliver frames for 4k.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Nvidia has some glaring price/perf gaps in it's line up AMD should be trying to occupy, not trying to pretend a 2390X can use 8GB and deliver frames for 4k.
The only real places they could really compete:
-380x except Apple is getting all of those oops
-Nano if it's priced similar to the 980

Everything lower is pretty much "whatever" right now and probably won't change much until the 14nm shrink happens.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Everything lower is pretty much "whatever" right now and probably won't change much until the 14nm shrink happens.

How do the Nano and non-X Fury not cannibalize each other?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Eh, Fury X @ 550, Fury @ 500 and Nano @ 450 would be solid.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How do the Nano and non-X Fury not cannibalize each other?
The Nano might be lower-binned full Fury GPUs that can't clock all that well, though people have traditionally done all sorts of strange things with AMD cards in terms of making their higher tier cards less of a value proposition.
I'm kind of hoping that the Nano actually is an even worse-binned Fiji card mostly because it would be cheaper than "slightly less than Fury Pro" and not cannibalize the Fury Pro.

FaustianQ posted:

Eh, Fury X @ 550, Fury @ 500 and Nano @ 450 would be solid.
I'd be okay with that pricing scheme, but we probably won't see it until late this year at the earliest.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is the 980ti the only GPU out right now that can do hardware HEVC encoding?

Edit: Of course, I don't see that there's any software than can actually enable it yet, but it's the only card that even has the potential to haave h.265 output for streams or Shadowplay?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 7, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Is the 980ti the only GPU out right now that can do hardware HEVC encoding?

Edit: Of course, I don't see that there's any software than can actually enable it yet, but it's the only card that even has the potential to haave h.265 output for streams or Shadowplay?

It's pretty complicated, actually the GTX 960 is the only card you'd want if you did anything hardware accelerated in the HEVC area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Feature_Set_F

Of course you also need software that supports NVENC v5.0
I'm sure there's a huge nerd thread on doom9 on how terrible the encoding quality is compared to x265, and other stuff :)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 7, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Finally sat down and did actual OC stress/limit testing on my MSI 970. Really impressed. Stable up to 1580mhz (+200 core) and 8ghz (+500 mem) without touching voltage. It didn't start crashing or anything just artifacts as soon as I push anything past +200 core. Also not at all limited by temp for anyone else not familiar with these. OC barely drives the temps up. Was probably like 60C at factory speed and 62-64 with that OC. It also wasn't hitting max tdp much either.

Anyways, now I'm interested in really testing the card's limit for curiosity / posterity's sake. What exactly causes the limit of the clocks when temps/power aren't the issue? Can I push this any higher with voltage / power mods?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Must be highly market dependent. Over here in NZ the cheapest 390X I can see is $780, 290 is $515, 970 is $540, 980 is $840

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

dissss posted:

Must be highly market dependent. Over here in NZ the cheapest 390X I can see is $780, 290 is $515, 970 is $540, 980 is $840
NZ's computer market prices are quite strange, unlike anywhere else in the world, and are in all probability set by a random number generator.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dissss posted:

You know considering the raw deal you and the Aussies get on electronics that's actually a really good price for a 970.

Laughable for the 980/390X ofc.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
You mean $1100 isn't a good price for the 980ti?!?!?!?

There's a reason I bought a reference 970, the ones with the fancy coolers are like loving $100 more, it's bullshit. $430 for a 1400mhz 970 ain't bad though, the fan's a little loud at 80c but I can't really hear it otherwise. Though I am considering getting one of those kraken mounting plates and putting a CLC on it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

It's pretty complicated, actually the GTX 960 is the only card you'd want if you did anything hardware accelerated in the HEVC area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Feature_Set_F

Of course you also need software that supports NVENC v5.0
I'm sure there's a huge nerd thread on doom9 on how terrible the encoding quality is compared to x265, and other stuff :)
:eyepop: The 960 being good for SOMETHING?

sold!!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:eyepop: The 960 being good for SOMETHING?

sold!!

Careful, from what I gather the 960 only DEcodes. The 970+ ENcode as well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

cat doter posted:

You mean $1100 isn't a good price for the 980ti?!?!?!?

There's a reason I bought a reference 970, the ones with the fancy coolers are like loving $100 more, it's bullshit. $430 for a 1400mhz 970 ain't bad though, the fan's a little loud at 80c but I can't really hear it otherwise. Though I am considering getting one of those kraken mounting plates and putting a CLC on it.

Ya, but don't you folks down in OZ have free healthcare and an actual decent living wage compared to those of us in the "Land of the Free".

Also, now that I'm back on SLI 980s, I feel like buying the Titan-X was a good decision. Well besides the fact that I haven't been able to sell my 980s and my Titan-x dying, but it definitely performs better than SLI at 7880x1440.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Riso posted:

The 960 is just awful, any 280 or higher is better price/perf, and the 750ti and R7 250X dominate any low end use scenario while being better priced for performance. Yet people buy it anyway, likely to replace it in less than 12 months.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Riso posted:

Got a source for your gathering? According to Wikipedia the NVENC has the same function in all Maxwell 2nd generation chips.

FaustianQ posted:

The 960 is just awful, any 280 or higher is better price/perf, and the 750ti and R7 250X dominate any low end use scenario while being better priced for performance. Yet people buy it anyway, likely to replace it in less than 12 months.

GTX 960 is the fastest <150 W card so it can work in machines which only have one 6-pin power plug.

In faster-than-Intel-HD-Graphics news, Nvidia is preparing to release GTX 950, which is on cut-down GM206. I wish they would just stop hoarding the broken GM204's and release a GTX 960 Ti.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 7, 2015

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

If anyone's in the market, I have put my EVGA 980 Ti SC w/ Hybrid Kit + backplate up on SA-Mart.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960,4038.html and a bunch of other poo poo I googled.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Parker Lewis posted:

If anyone's in the market, I have put my EVGA 980 Ti SC w/ Hybrid Kit + backplate up on SA-Mart.

Just FYI. The hybrid kit warranty does not transfer.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Don Lapre posted:

Just FYI. The hybrid kit warranty does not transfer.

Good to know, thanks!

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Dunno they say nothing to support their claim, Nvidia's own NVENC developer docs just say 2nd generation maxwell and 3rd party encoders support 4k h265 on GM206.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rosoboronexport posted:

Dunno they say nothing to support their claim, Nvidia's own NVENC developer docs just say 2nd generation maxwell and 3rd party encoders support 4k h265 on GM206.

It could be partially hardware accelerated, meaning faster encodes but still nowhere near real time. I think that's the status for Skylake's Quicksync as well, and Kaby Lake will bring full hardware H.265 encode.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rosoboronexport posted:

GTX 960 is the fastest <150 W card so it can work in machines which only have one 6-pin power plug.

And for 50% more you could get a 290 and a non-firecracker psu.

When you get better performance per dollar by buying a new psu and a different card, it's overpriced.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Twerk from Home posted:

It could be partially hardware accelerated, meaning faster encodes but still nowhere near real time. I think that's the status for Skylake's Quicksync as well, and Kaby Lake will bring full hardware H.265 encode.

Partial hardware acceleration is usually attributed to decoding only because it's easier to implement as you only need to do 30 fps. Because encoding is done usually by a hardware component on the GPU, video cards either support the hardware accelerated encoding or not.

xthetenth posted:

And for 50% more you could get a 290 and a non-firecracker psu.

When you get better performance per dollar by buying a new psu and a different card, it's overpriced.

You might only have $200 and some special-snowflake PC case which has an exotic PSU. In that case if you want to play GTA V on 1080p without going over the budget.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 7, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rosoboronexport posted:

You might only have $200 and some special-snowflake PC case which has an exotic PSU. In that case if you want to play GTA V on 1080p without going over the budget.
Unfortunately there aren't low profile GTX 960s like there are with 750tis and there are mini-itx sized 970s that use just one pcie connector

Until they make a low profile GTX 960 it's kind of not good for those exotics. I'd suggest waiting for the 750ti refresh/replacement in the form of the 950ti for exotic builds that are going to be better than and more value than the 960.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 7, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Radeon R9 Fury (non-X) cards with third-party cooling solutions look to be on schedule:

http://videocardz.com/57078/exclusive-sapphire-radeon-r9-fury-pictured-specifications-confirmed

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Rosoboronexport posted:

Rosoboronexport posted:

Sorry, the GTX 960 being for special snowflake circumstances does not a good value make. If you only have 200$, then wait and maybe not gently caress yourself over? Also almost all exotic PSUs are in slim cases, where the 960 has no low profile variant. Standard size m/ATX cases should fit virtually any card except in edge cases which are well beyond even a 350$ budget.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FaustianQ posted:

Sorry, the GTX 960 being for special snowflake circumstances does not a good value make. If you only have 200$, then wait and maybe not gently caress yourself over? Also almost all exotic PSUs are in slim cases, where the 960 has no low profile variant. Standard size m/ATX cases should fit virtually any card except in edge cases which are well beyond even a 350$ budget.

More than that, a card that's only good in extremely contrived situations rather than only somewhat contrived shouldn't be incredibly popular by definition, but here we are.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
If you only have $200 to spend you only have $200 to spend lol

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

FaustianQ posted:

Sorry, the GTX 960 being for special snowflake circumstances does not a good value make. If you only have 200$, then wait and maybe not gently caress yourself over?

Yes this thread is well known for its "wait and maybe not gently caress itself over" determination.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd suggest waiting for the 750ti refresh/replacement in the form of the 950ti for exotic builds that are going to be better than and more value than the 960.

I'm not trying to justfificate GTX 960 to buy it.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This was my point in all this. There is nothing between $200 and $300, there could be the GTX 960 Ti if Nvidia would be interested in selling GM204 under $300 (which they did not do with Keplers either). GTX 960 could be cheaper and does not cater to enthusiasts but it can run current games well.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yet you'll definitely spend more in the longterm if you buy a 960. The 960 is entirely edge case and almost obsolete already, even a 280 3GB is going to have higher longevity despite tessellation performance.

This is why a 380X or 960 ti would be a real seller, a 380X with 6GB or a 960ti with 4GB is a good value, both for term investment and price/perf. But that's here nor now and the 960 is an awful compromise value.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
At this point I think the 960's purpose is to make the 970 look ever better and drive sales there.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

Yet you'll definitely spend more in the longterm if you buy a 960. The 960 is entirely edge case and almost obsolete already, even a 280 3GB is going to have higher longevity despite tessellation performance.

This is why a 380X or 960 ti would be a real seller, a 380X with 6GB or a 960ti with 4GB is a good value, both for term investment and price/perf. But that's here nor now and the 960 is an awful compromise value.

I'm not trying to rock the boat here but if you only wanted to spend $200 on the card, and wanted a 960, I doubt its going to cost that person more in the long run. Because they will just turn the settings down instead of buying a new card

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

FaustianQ posted:

If AMD would release a full Tonga with 6 GB memory (385X) Nvidia would probably counter with the 960 Ti.
Come on Nvidia, get rid of some broken GM204's, remove 1 64 bit-memory bus and do the same 192/64-bit memory shuffle as with GTX 660 / 660Ti, sell the 4 GB model for $240-260 and I'll buy one for my Core 2 Quad build!

Riso posted:

At this point I think the 960's purpose is to make the 970 look ever better and drive sales there.

That's how I see it as well. GM204 and Hawaii are both ~400 mm^2 chips so there is also financial incentive to keep the prices high. Though Nvidia is making a lot of more money on each GTX 960 sold than AMD is doing with 380X.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm not trying to rock the boat here but if you only wanted to spend $200 on the card, and wanted a 960, I doubt its going to cost that person more in the long run. Because they will just turn the settings down instead of buying a new card

Agreed.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i am disappointed in the new amd cards. looks like my 290x is surviving to live another quarter.