Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Yeah. Shooting outside of VATS in 3 and NV sucked rear end. As long as enemies in 4 don't act like bullet sponges that don't feel pain, that could be a great improvement. Destiny, despite sucking in every other conceivable way, at least didn't seem to suffer from that problem.

The Microsoft demo showed off a bit more of the gunplay and it's very much like a traditional FPS now. Enemies move around more and actually use cover and there seems to be emphasis on being able to competently fight with just iron sights and your own personal skill instead of relying on VATS or modded in bullet time. The enemies also seem less bullet spongey, like one or two full auto bursts kill them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3nYFn-aIno

Skip to 2:37.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The Microsoft demo showed off a bit more of the gunplay and it's very much like a traditional FPS now. Enemies move around more and actually use cover and there seems to be emphasis on being able to competently fight with just iron sights and your own personal skill instead of relying on VATS or modded in bullet time. The enemies also seem less bullet spongey, like one or two full auto bursts kill them.

What WAS that dog doing out there all on its own?
(Android spy-dog)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Smoky One-bedder posted:

(Android spy-dog)

It has been waiting patiently for its owner for the last 200+ years.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

that looks good

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 7, 2015

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

chitoryu12 posted:

They were consulted for redoing the combat.

Uggg, I hope their influence isn't too strong. I loving hate Halo's gun-play.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Man Whore posted:

Uggg, I hope their influence isn't too strong. I loving hate Halo's gun-play.

Well, you might be out of luck. IIRC they said similar mechanics from the Halo series like energy shields would be retrofitted into fallout 4. It would be safe to assume that it's going be used on power armour and play a big part in the crafting system attached to power armour.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Thanks for linking this, I hadn't seen it before. So yeah, shooting looks a lot better, and thank god for that. I don't have much hope for the writing or story, but then again I didn't like those in Skyrim either and still start it up again every few months. If they can preserve Fallout 3's sense of exploration (and improve on the lovely parts, like DC and the cookie-cutter metros), and follow through on making the enemies smarter and less spongy then the gameplay for this will be pretty goddamn solid.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Well, you might be out of luck. IIRC they said similar mechanics from the Halo series like energy shields would be retrofitted into fallout 4. It would be safe to assume that it's going be used on power armour and play a big part in the crafting system attached to power armour.

T. "Adolf Hitler is my Hero" Howard also said that you can only hold 2 guns at a time.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

What I worry about is that the power armour sections will basically be setpieces, like does every player have to use the minigun to mow down raiders?
I mean, as long as the rest of the game allows the player freedom it won't really be a problem if there's stuff inbetween but I dunno.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Gonna mod the reloading sound for my Laser Musket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJeS6O6ds

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

sout posted:

What I worry about is that the power armour sections will basically be setpieces, like does every player have to use the minigun to mow down raiders?

Yeah probably

Everyone agrees Witcher 3 is the greatest open world RPG in a long time, even though it's full of "hold down the witcher sense button and follow footsteps" setpieces...

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

echronorian posted:

Yeah probably

Everyone agrees Witcher 3 is the greatest open world RPG in a long time, even though it's full of "hold down the witcher sense button and follow footsteps" setpieces...

Also the weapons are mostly just "sword" and "other sword."

You can get a lot of depth and variety out of a seemingly simplistic combat system though.

Hell, even Morrowind's terrible "always use best attack" combat allowed for some interesting fights when you factored in consumables and spell effects.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Pwnstar posted:

Gonna mod the reloading sound for my Laser Musket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJeS6O6ds

I didn't think of this at all but I saw your post and - without even clicking the link - I know exactly what this is and agree

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Odobenidae posted:

When did anyone say Fallout 4 is going to have Shields or Halo mechanics or only holding a few guns? I can't tell the joke posts in this thread anymore.

The one thing that I hope still stays from FO3/NV combat is sniper rifle options. You could one or two shot a lot of even stronger enemies with a good sniper rifle, stealth and high gun skill.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
But only if you turned off autoaim and used the mod that adjusted scopes to work properly. Or you know, used V.A.T.S.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't like to use VATS all the time because it takes the game out of the game. It's cool sometimes but it becomes "run up on some guys, click on their heads, they died."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sout posted:

I mean, as long as the rest of the game allows the player freedom it won't really be a problem if there's stuff inbetween but I dunno.

I demand twin-ballistic-fist power armor.

Actually I just want the ballistic fist in the game, it's probably my favorite weapon in any game ever. A big metal gauntlet that fires a double barrel shotgun into whatever you punch. Best and most practical idea in any fallout game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 7, 2015

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

This is a pretty fantastic post.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If i had to make an educated guess, based only on what we have seen, they might be leaning towards limiting power armor usage by making it require returning to the 'shop' for repairs to fix after extended fights. This based mostly on the PA HUD that shows the different sectors of the armor taking different values of damage. There also seems to be a 'Core' meter that moves down through the video slowly, so they could use needing to scavenge/craft fuel cells as a limiter. Both options could be used together as well.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

SHUT UP and take some weapons in your face.
http://imgur.com/a/Y4Tga?gallery

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Have to say I'm diggin the new look of the 10mm pistol

and this just looks hilarious

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The new 10mm pistol looks like a pre-modded That Gun. At the least, it looks pretty nifty.

This game is going to make me go crazy in a good way.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its always weird how every plasma weapon kinda looks like a prototype. I like the Plasma Defender the most cuz it doesnt look like it will explode and kill you if you drop it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

big mean giraffe posted:

It definitely doesn't look *that* bad on max settings. Doesn't look great but it isn't that terrible.

Supposedly this is New Vegas on Ultra settings:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hihohe posted:

I like that for all the black baseball bats it says

Modifications:
  • Black

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

computer parts posted:

Supposedly this is New Vegas on Ultra settings:

There may also be a texture pack in there.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

I love when Todd sets himself up like this

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Smoky One-bedder posted:

(Android spy-dog)
Because you are an android sleeping in suspended animation awaiting the signal to open the Vaults, you dream of a wonderful journey traveling the land with your dear old dog, Honey. Oh, the adventures you had! From Knob Creek to Hodgenville you roamed, carefree and courageous, irresponsible... and completely inseparable.

Bicyclops posted:

Modifications:
  • Black
What's wrong with bat-blacking?! We like it very much!

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Hihohe posted:

That one baseball bat is straight out of Dead Island.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Bicyclops posted:

Modifications:
  • Black

Launch bug prevents you from unequipped that modification.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Hihohe posted:

Tactical grip on pipe gun = electrical tape over a carving knife handle

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Hihohe posted:

That is one of the most derp-est and ugliest "automatic rifles" I have ever seen. I hope they have more traditional designs available, because I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. :psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm going to equip a shiny silver suit, up my defensive characteristics and run around saying "Your black bats with sawblades on them will have no effect on me!"

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

sout posted:

I noticed the player turned level 2 when talking to Preston, so if you went right to this set piece out of the Vault it'd likely the best weapon available.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

FronzelNeekburm posted:

:mmmhmm: Enjoyable reference.

So can that stuff-launcher use skulls as ammo or what?

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 7, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

frajaq posted:

Have to say I'm diggin the new look of the 10mm pistol

and this just looks hilarious

I can't see that as anything other than an industrial grade blackhead vacuum.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

If they can put a silencer on an assault rifle, they can put a silencer on anything. Its ninja time. :getin:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

That is one of the most derp-est and ugliest "automatic rifles" I have ever seen. I hope they have more traditional designs available, because I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. :psyduck:

nothing gets more 'traditional' than styling it after an early browning water-cooled heavy machine gun

edit: or a later-model Maxim

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

If i had to make an educated guess, based only on what we have seen, they might be leaning towards limiting power armor usage by making it require returning to the 'shop' for repairs to fix after extended fights. This based mostly on the PA HUD that shows the different sectors of the armor taking different values of damage. There also seems to be a 'Core' meter that moves down through the video slowly, so they could use needing to scavenge/craft fuel cells as a limiter. Both options could be used together as well.
It seems to be a DX style status indicator at the very least, so durability is still in at least one feature of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

frajaq posted:

Mr Tastee you do know that it wasn't Bethesda that did Fallout New Vegas right? I don't think you could be gay in Fallout 3

I rolled a female and Bittercup from Big Town wants to slurp on this vaginer like it was the last Bloodpack in the all the wastelands.

• Locked thread