Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Hegay posted:

Peter Sagan where you at

Sagan win tomorrow (taking GC by one second over Martin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

LordPants posted:

This sentence does not make sense.

Purito is the best.

not empty quotin

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
so when froome wins will 19 days in yellow be a record or was that nibbles did last year?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Withnail posted:

Sagan win tomorrow (taking GC by one second over Martin)

I feel bad for Tony, but that would be amazing.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Box Hill Strangler posted:

so when froome wins will 19 days in yellow be a record or was that nibbles did last year?

Froome will crash tomorrow. The new GC buzz will be about Tejay.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Apparently there's been four times the same rider held yellow from stage 1 onwards. Last in 1935 by Romain Maes.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

scaevola posted:

Apparently there's been four times the same rider held yellow from stage 1 onwards. Last in 1935 by Romain Maes.

Well the fact that they always start with a sprint stage or a tt these days means that's ~never going to happen again~

Are there stats for stage 3 onwards etc?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
gently caress Froome. If that boring little turd wins I will not be pleased. Should be interesting to see what happens on the descents now though, as the boy can't handle his bike at all.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Xabi posted:

gently caress Froome. If that boring little turd wins I will not be pleased. Should be interesting to see what happens on the descents now though, as the boy can't handle his bike at all.

https://youtu.be/lEGpv0xn0E8

Watch from 6 minutes. 3 years later a guy flailing around on the bike goes on to decimate the tour.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Gibbo posted:

Well the fact that they always start with a sprint stage or a tt these days means that's ~never going to happen again~

Are there stats for stage 3 onwards etc?

There's a table at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jersey_statistics#Number_of_wearers_per_year

A brief look at the recent years seems like a "stage 3 'till the end" could be close to a record. (I don't believe this will happen.)

Also, if the Utrecht TT was run during the "Armstrong era", where the GC contenders were all among the stronger time trialers, I wouldn't be surprised if a GC contender could have won it and grabbed the jersey. Same could happen with a TTT stage 1, although I think the GC guys generally avoid crossing the line first there, in order to avoid the press conferences associated with holding the jersey.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Don't you all know of Froome's pedigree! Sky's PR line is his results and performances have followed a natural trend since 2011, totally ignoring that he wasn't even competitive in races prior.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure Sky will happily ditch the yellow today if they can, there's quite a few names under a minute back that could do well.

Froome's boring as gently caress but I think people are going a bit overboard with the idea that he can barely ride in a straight line without training wheels though. He'll be fine today if it doesn't rain, especially with the quality classics riders Sky have around him.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And if he does stack it, the sky car will be first on the road behind

Cant wait, a cobbles day is a good day :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

I'm sure Sky will happily ditch the yellow today if they can, there's quite a few names under a minute back that could do well.

Froome's boring as gently caress but I think people are going a bit overboard with the idea that he can barely ride in a straight line without training wheels though. He'll be fine today if it doesn't rain, especially with the quality classics riders Sky have around him.

Yeah, theres a reason they brought Stannard, Rowe and Thomas to the tour. They're there specifically to protect him if any splits happen.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

They just said on the TV that the race organizers put extra cops on all the level crossings

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Probably the best time to get a puncture

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hegay posted:

Probably the best time to get a puncture

More like switching to the motorised one!

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
These Alpecin commercials they keep showing on Eurosport

:negative:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

he just really likes his hair

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pvt Dancer posted:

These Alpecin commercials they keep showing on Eurosport

:negative:

Are you German? Please don't tell me there are international versions of those things

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm not German, they talk in English with heavy accent

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh my god, I had no idea. They sound capital-R Retarded even in the original German

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
If you're adding caffeinated shampoo to your daily routine you might consider how addicted to the stuff you are.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Rain yesssss, Froome you're done now

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Dan Martin crashing? Surprising stuff

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like it might finally kick off on the next few sets of cobbles.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Finally, this has been loving boring so far

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Astana giving it the beans now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I want it to start POURING rain so bad

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Nibbles rules trying to break away on the cobbles like that, in fact everything about this stage rules.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Quintana might be done here

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Holy gently caress whoever bodychecked froome just now is my new favorite

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Froome is the god drat worst on a bike

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Smirr posted:

Holy gently caress whoever bodychecked froome just now is my new favorite

I really hoped that he was going down. Is that evil?

accipter fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 7, 2015

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Yes it is

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Despite the goon narrative, Froome did not lose his balance when body checked. So I guess "worst on a bike" is a relative thing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone have a go ffs

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Well, I think Bardet is the best hope for France in the GC. Pinot looking much weaker than last year. Or maybe it's just the overall level of competition is better at this point.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
GIANTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sagan is a monster