Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Old chart had Alasdair on it, so it's already superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Chart makes JakeP mad.

Chart is a good chart.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Chart makes JakeP mad.

Chart is a good chart.

i hate it

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

This is tearing us achart

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
thank you for the much needed levity

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I made it to Master Guardian I in Counter-Strike, friends!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

charts bad, the axes don't even have anything to do with mafia, and aren't even equal things. Emotional play is a hindrance to good mafia play, whereas intellectual thinking is absolutely a stronger trait to have in a well rounded mafia game. Positive and Negative have nothing to do with mafia ability at all, and is just a weird thing to rate, especially since it is irrelevant.

At least the old chart was kind of fun, Raritys chart is pretty insulting imho

I strongly disagree with you that emotional play is a hindrance to good play while intellectual play is a plus. My big issue with the chart is that emotional play and intellectual play are not opposing play styles.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Dr. Hurt posted:

This is tearing us achart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JakeP posted:

charts bad, the axes don't even have anything to do with mafia, and aren't even equal things. Emotional play is a hindrance to good mafia play, whereas intellectual thinking is absolutely a stronger trait to have in a well rounded mafia game. Positive and Negative have nothing to do with mafia ability at all, and is just a weird thing to rate, especially since it is irrelevant.

At least the old chart was kind of fun, Raritys chart is pretty insulting imho

You can make your own chart!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I would make a chart but everybody would be in the lower left quadrant.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I strongly disagree with you that emotional play is a hindrance to good play while intellectual play is a plus. My big issue with the chart is that emotional play and intellectual play are not opposing play styles.

Maybe? I look at it as if it is saying you make decisions with your head, or you make decisions because you are mad/sad/whatever, where making decisions with your head is what you should do because mafia is a thinking game, and making emotional decisions is bad because that isn't how you play mafia. Sure playing emotionally can be good for making people realize you are town, but that can all be faked. Making emotional decisions in mafia is bad making intelectual decisions is good.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

You can make your own chart!

I personally think charts are stupid, circle-jerky, and bound to upset people so I don't see the point.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this thread is stupid and circle jerky, who cares

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

Maybe? I look at it as if it is saying you make decisions with your head, or you make decisions because you are mad/sad/whatever, where making decisions with your head is what you should do because mafia is a thinking game, and making emotional decisions is bad because that isn't how you play mafia. Sure playing emotionally can be good for making people realize you are town, but that can all be faked. Making emotional decisions in mafia is bad making intelectual decisions is good.

Nah dude, gut calls definitely have a place in mafia, it is a social game and going 100% BEEP boop robot loses a lot.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

this thread is stupid and circle jerky, who cares

i dont disagree with that but im not going to make a chart about it, and I will call all other charts stupid unless they rate me as the golden god of mafia

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Nah dude, gut calls definitely have a place in mafia, it is a social game and going 100% BEEP boop robot loses a lot.

gut feelings aren't emotions

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

I personally think charts are stupid, circle-jerky, and bound to upset people so I don't see the point.

You seem to be the only one that's upset by a chart.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Also I like that I am on the old chart but not the new one shouts out meezy

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

gut feelings aren't emotions

Ah, they probably fall under the aegis of "intellectual behavior"

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Ah, they probably fall under the aegis of "intellectual behavior"

Of course it would, gut reads are the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. Nothing emotional about it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

would you be more comfortable if "intellectual" were relabelled "beep boop logic bot"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

I think that's a one sided view of emotional. Being able to read the game emotionally is important because you can figure a lot of stuff out about people's motivations and stuff. The classic emotional player is yuming and she's renowned for her ability to read players.

Intellectual thinking has its place as well but I don't think it's strictly better. People often out think themselves or do weird stuff based on trying to logic things out.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
mafia is not about logic and thinking because people arent logical and dont think when playing mafia. mafia is all about feeling.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

Of course it would, gut reads are the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. Nothing emotional about it

Well when I get upset it is because I am able to understand that I was wronged immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning.

This is why getting upset is intellectual behavior.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Perhaps feeling/thinking would be better words here

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Well when I get upset it is because I am able to understand that I was wronged immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning.

This is why getting upset is intellectual behavior.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I just look at reading emotions/motivations is an intellectual thing, not an emotional thing. I mean if we are going to call that emotional then what is actually intellectual about mafia?

I guess it goes back to what MMM said that the 2 things aren't related

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i mean i guess if what you mean by 'intellectual' is 'something done with the brain' then okay

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I don't think it's a duality.

As an example the more emotionally invested and worked up I get in a mafia game, the easier it becomes for me to hash out the logic of the game

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Perhaps feeling/thinking would be better words here

That's a perceptive point, made without judgment.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

I just look at reading emotions/motivations is an intellectual thing, not an emotional thing. I mean if we are going to call that emotional then what is actually intellectual about mafia?

I guess it goes back to what MMM said that the 2 things aren't related

You can make a divide from someone who plays and goes "well if this is true then this behavior is strange and thus..." And somebody who shoots from the hip and says "there's something weird here, I don't like how JakeP posted this, it hits me weird..."

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

i mean i guess if what you mean by 'intellectual' is 'something done with the brain' then okay

Just using the definition of intellect:

the faculty of reasoning and understanding objectively, especially with regard to abstract or academic matters; the understanding or mental powers of a particular person

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

:q:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

check your facebook j

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CCKeane posted:

It's just where my intuition pointed me,but I know some people would sense something wrong with it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Chicago is better than New York.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ah the second city

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

merk posted:

Chicago is better than New York.

In a sense