Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
You can't make a smart playlist of 'Loved' songs from radio without also manually adding them to 'My music'. :|

I'm going to end up on Apple Music, but it is needlessly complicated and there are a lot of weird differences between your library and the whole collection that Google Music and Spotify don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Apple Music is missing Prince but Spotify has it :colbert: what are some other weird library differences people have noticed? since local file integration works so much better in itunes it isnt really an issue.

it has been really annoying that you have to add songs to your music library before you can do anything with them (make playlists, etc). sometimes i make really specific playlists or goofy things that i dont want to actually become part of my music library. i wonder if that is something apple will change.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Prince actually pulled all of his music off Spotify and put it exclusively on Tidal. :banjo:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Prince actually pulled all of his music off Spotify and put it exclusively on Tidal. :banjo:

:monocle: so he did

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does Apple Music have all of Peter Gabriel's stuff? Spotify used to have it but it's been removed and I keep checking in hopes it will come back one day.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Skeezy posted:

Does Apple Music have all of Peter Gabriel's stuff? Spotify used to have it but it's been removed and I keep checking in hopes it will come back one day.
Yes, it does. I'm listening to So right now!

queertea fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 6, 2015

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
Is it just me, or are all of the playlists at the top of the browse tab on mobile nothing but alternative and indie bullshit? Every single playlist recommendation is filled with mumford and sons sounding bullshit with a generic playlist title such as "Have a GREAT morning!"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That may depend on you region/country. Mine offers a decent mixture. I don't know if it's tuned to your preferences, because mine had Deep Focus and 88 Keys from the main Spotify account and both of those have music I listen to a lot. I was surprised I wasn't subscribed to the second one yet (it's minimal/piano-heavy alternative music).

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Version 1.0.9 of the desktop client is launching soon. It will feature the sexy new green logo!

queertea fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 7, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really, really love the daily 'for you' playlists on Apple Music. Drip feeding them to you is a stroke of genius and basically means I can come home from work each day and spend an hour or so being given something new.

I'd quite like the option to further narrow down/reset my preferences though. They barely ask you any questions at the start and most of the artists they asked me to pick from I'd never heard of and didn't care about.

EDIT: 10 seconds late I find out you can do this.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 7, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

queertea posted:

Version 1.0.9 of the desktop client is launching soon. It will feature the sexy new green logo!

Holy gently caress I cannot wait for that shade of green :f5:

Hopefully they fixed the thumbnail clicking bugs. Sometimes it takes me to the correct track, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't do poo poo.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If anyone wants to force the update to the soothing new green:

Download link

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the only problem ive had with apple streaming so far is driving around in the car sometimes the stream would drop for 10-15 seconds at a time but i figure they'll iron that out. using spotify ive never had that happen though.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
1.09 is a huge memory leaker on my PC :( Few minutes of playlist editing and it gets up to 500mb.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Out of nowhere, my iOS app updated and now includes Shows. Neat!

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
I expect Spotify to release some major updates here in the next couple of months due to all of the Apple Music conversions.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they have like 3 months while everyone is still on apple free trial to get their poo poo together.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

they have like 3 months while everyone is still on apple free trial to get their poo poo together.

What do you think is coming in terms of new features?

I hope they ditch the lame default dark theme. Or at least make an accompanying light theme...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

i was reloading posted:

What do you think is coming in terms of new features?

Well I hope they'd work on strengthening existing features... like radio or blending local files/sharing local files across devices. I'd settle for just improving some of the playlist/album/artist views etc. Those are the areas Apple excels so far for me and if they fix some of that I might stay with Spotify just so I don't have to port all my playlists and library

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i just want to be able to add a whole album to the queue

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

appropriatemetaphor posted:

i just want to be able to add a whole album to the queue

you can already do this, though?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

you can already do this, though?

on ios i meant, which makes it even dumber since yeah, works fine on the desktop..

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I loving GET IT SPOTIFY

New Music Release playlists on Fridays. Big loving deal. Stop sending me push notifications about it after I dismiss them.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Also, why would they move to Friday from Tuesday? I appreciated having a playlist of new releases pretty much as soon as they came out, and I'm pretty skeptical that the extra 3 days will allow them to craft a better selection of the new stuff.

edit: Apparently the worldwide music release date has changed, so all is forgiven I guess.

Anachronist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 10, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Friday is now the day that new releases come out. There's no extra three days - it's exactly what happened on Tuesday, it just happens on Friday now.

E:f;b

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

The rear end Stooge posted:

The 3.4.0 iOS update hosed alphabetical album sorting for me. Sorting by title or artist in the Albums section of Your Music is a total mess. poo poo is all out of order. Nice job loving this up on the eve of Apple Music.

This is still happening to me and the only response I've been able to get out of their support team is that it was an intentional change. What the gently caress? How could this be what anyone wanted to happen?

Anyone else seeing this?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Wasn't there an old sticky with goon Spotify playlists by genre?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

silly posted:

1.09 is a huge memory leaker on my PC :( Few minutes of playlist editing and it gets up to 500mb.

Huh. Performance has improved on my pc.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Lazyhound posted:

Wasn't there an old sticky with goon Spotify playlists by genre?

Yup, but it pooped out around two years ago.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
This discover weekly playlist Spotify has thrown at me today is brilliant. Found about 10 songs I hadn't heard before that have gone straight into starred.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

britishbornandbread posted:

This discover weekly playlist Spotify has thrown at me today is brilliant. Found about 10 songs I hadn't heard before that have gone straight into starred.

Seconding that the weekly playlist is really spot on.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm not that enamored by the Weekly Playlist. It seems to suggest tracks by bands I already listen to and I don't see many new artists at all.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I have literally no idea what feature you guys are talking about.

EDIT: I see, I guess I'll have to wait until my desktop application gets updated.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 21, 2015

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

me your dad posted:

I'm not that enamored by the Weekly Playlist. It seems to suggest tracks by bands I already listen to and I don't see many new artists at all.

That's unfortunate. Suppose it can't be perfect for everyone. It's a damned sight better than the radio feature, which literally just plays songs already in a playlist from which you want the radio to play similar artists and songs.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Spotify focuses more heavily on curation with a new Beatport partnership

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Glad they are stepping their game up....finally.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm digging the new icon and color scheme change-up. The new neon green is much better than that other weird green.

Also, looks like they brought back apps to desktop. I wonder what inspired them to do that considering they made a public announcement about shutting them down...

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

i was reloading posted:

Also, looks like they brought back apps to desktop. I wonder what inspired them to do that considering they made a public announcement about shutting them down...

Apps are back? I still get the same options on the left. Are you talking about lyrics?

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Rexides posted:

Apps are back? I still get the same options on the left. Are you talking about lyrics?

Welp. Just updated and the apps tab disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Okay, I'm only seven songs deep into my first Discover Weekly playlist, but I have to say I'm impressed. Lot's of good stuff I've never heard before, and the two songs I didn't like were not really that far off the mark either.

• Locked thread