Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just got an email from CompTIA. Apparently it's not enough to have passed the CCNA since I've gotten my Network+. They also require a $147 3 year renewal fee! What a crock of poo poo. I dont even think it's worth getting reimbursed by my employer for. Any negative consequences if I let it lapse? I mean I could still list it on my resume if need be right?

I think it's so compTIA can grab $50 a year from DoD employed S+ holders who aren't allowed to let the cert lapse.

I did the same thing you did after getting my CCNA and there's no way I'm paying $150 just to keep my n+ active. I don't plan on taking it off my resume either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just got an email from CompTIA. Apparently it's not enough to have passed the CCNA since I've gotten my Network+. They also require a $147 3 year renewal fee! What a crock of poo poo. I dont even think it's worth getting reimbursed by my employer for. Any negative consequences if I let it lapse? I mean I could still list it on my resume if need be right?

If you're already employed in networking you will probably never care about the network+ ever again. If you've already got your CCNA then you will probably never care about the network+ again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

In general, I'd say that the official training docs (if you take a RHCSA/RHCE course from Red Hat, fast track or not) are better than Ghori or Jang, and they've been available for a long time, but not everyone wants to go through an official course, so...

Is there a way to get these without going through the Official $5k+ Training Course?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Uh, :files:, I guess. I don't have to pay for the docs, so I've never worried about that, but 30 seconds on Google shows me that they're readily available with a little Google-fu. I have no idea what SA's policy is on this and whether I'm allowed to post a query, but check your PMs.

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

Current financial situation being what it is I can only afford one cert at the moment. I am confident I can pass server+ and can pass both a+ in my sleep. Would server+ be the better option as a first cert if I am looking to move out of helpdesk roles?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

nothingtrend posted:

Current financial situation being what it is I can only afford one cert at the moment. I am confident I can pass server+ and can pass both a+ in my sleep. Would server+ be the better option as a first cert if I am looking to move out of helpdesk roles?

A+ is a way to get into helpdesk. Server is a way to round out a community college curriculum. Neither are good choices for advancing in the industry. What job do you want when you get out of helpdesk?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Contingency posted:

What job do you want when you get out of helpdesk?

I've literally never seen Server+ listed on a job description in 10 years in IT. I'm sure it can be useful, but unless you've seen your dream job posted and it requires Server+, studying for it is not an effective use of time.

If you want to go down the cert route, decide on an area of focus. Either Microsoft (MCSA) or Linux (RHCSA/RHCE). Or networking (CCNA).

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Sitting my ICND1 Wednesday. Currently trying not to breathe through a bag the closer it gets :(

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Irritated Goat posted:

Sitting my ICND1 Wednesday. Currently trying not to breathe through a bag the closer it gets :(

How much studying have you done?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How much studying have you done?

A week worth of class. Decent amount of reading and subnet practice. The latter is still beating me up.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Irritated Goat posted:

A week worth of class. Decent amount of reading and subnet practice. The latter is still beating me up.

I don't want to scare you or anything but I hope you have some hands on experience to back up a week of studying. I would consider a month satisfactory unless you're rainman or something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm taking a class right now for ICND1 at a community college. It's 12 hours a week for 2 months. That might be overkill but it covers everything.

A week is going to be intense.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Took ICND2 today and got a 750. I was running out of time pretty bad towards the end but still had about a minute per question, then I got 2 sims in my last 5 questions. I'll take a week or two and go again, shouldn't be too difficult.

ICND1 in a week with no previous experience seems crazy unless you're no poo poo in books for the entire 8 hours of class a day. I agree with Schnoopy and a month of regular studying should be plenty.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I passed the ICND 1 recently now Im preparing for the ICND 2 I have about 2 months to study. I could use a recommendation for a good study book. Does anyone know if this one is good? http://amzn.com/1118789709 its from 2013 I hope that doesnt matter too much.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
That's the one that I and I think the majority of others in this thread have used. I'm studying the portion on ICND2 currently and the author makes it so it's not terribly boring to read.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't want to scare you or anything but I hope you have some hands on experience to back up a week of studying. I would consider a month satisfactory unless you're rainman or something.

Yeah, I work with it. It isn't every day but I can get around and diagnose most issues. The week was just the class. I've been reading/watching videos since. Mostly I'm just worried about subnetting and ospf. I'm just not 100% solid on those.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Yeah, I work with it. It isn't every day but I can get around and diagnose most issues. The week was just the class. I've been reading/watching videos since. Mostly I'm just worried about subnetting and ospf. I'm just not 100% solid on those.

If you don't know subnetting like the back of your hand, you're in trouble.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Irritated Goat posted:

Mostly I'm just worried about subnetting and ospf. I'm just not 100% solid on those.

Keep going here until you do feel confident, because you will be tested on it thoroughly: http://subnettingquestions.com/

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Reschedule the exam and practice until you know subnetting almost by memory. I wouldn't risk wasting the money because you're still shaky on any of the topics you're going to be tested on.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ashley Madison posted:

Reschedule the exam and practice until you know subnetting almost by memory. I wouldn't risk wasting the money because you're still shaky on any of the topics you're going to be tested on.

I guess I should've put it as I understand it\can do it but I have problems doing math in my head. OSPF is only shaky in the idea that I might get a question wrong on which route it would take if given just a diagram without values, if that makes any sense in how I'm explaining it. Sorry for the confusion :( Tests make me nervous and this test is important to me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I guess I should've put it as I understand it\can do it but I have problems doing math in my head. OSPF is only shaky in the idea that I might get a question wrong on which route it would take if given just a diagram without values, if that makes any sense in how I'm explaining it. Sorry for the confusion :( Tests make me nervous and this test is important to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdZqk8BXPwg

Practice this until it clicks. You only need to be able to do up to 255.

Congratulations, subnetting is now easy.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

No worries :) always keep on practicin'

The good thing about Cisco exams through Pearson Vue is that you can reschedule them as much as you want until you feel comfortable, as long as it's min. 48 hours before your scheduled date/time.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Hi guys, I tried looking for a question like the one the last few pages but couldn't find any. My question is the following:

Any recommendation to study for the Oracle OCA and OCP certs? I work in Tech Support in Mexico, but I sometimes have to travel to other countries in Latin America, so a paid course in a classroom is very difficult for me.

I have a lab server with Oracle 11g under SuSE linux at work for testing that I can use to practice if needed and can access from the intranet. Are there any online courses or books that could help me pass the cert exam?

El Chingon fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 7, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Which OCA exam? I passed the oracle database administration OCA (1Z0-052) with the help of the official book, the packt publishing book (which is good) and the legal, oracle sanctioned transcender practice exams.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

Which OCA exam? I passed the oracle database administration OCA (1Z0-052) with the help of the official book, the packt publishing book (which is good) and the legal, oracle sanctioned transcender practice exams.

I was planning on taking the 1Z0-061 and 1Z0-062, which involve 12c.

Taking these exams is expensive (at least here in Mexico), so I want to go as prepared as I can.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So, I was trying to go towards CCNA via self-study, but I'm not a great self-motivator. I was looking online for courses, but a lot of them are in the $3k+ range. However, I found one on coursehorse for just under $800, here: http://coursehorse.com/ccna-training-nyc/cisco-ccna-ccent-certification

Is that suspiciously cheap? I already have a few years working in IT, and do a little networking and Cisco work (mostly ASAs) as it is, but I'm far from seasoned. I'd be good about doing required studying between classes, but yeah...I tend to lose focus when I'm trying to self-direct over the course of months.

Any advice about whether that class would be worth it, based on anyone's experience, would be appreciated.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I bet you could do a class at a community college for less.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

I bet you could do a class at a community college for less.

I was looking around the NYC community/city colleges, but they only do it in the Bronx and Staten Island (I could honestly do any of the three other boroughs), and spread it across four $700 courses, AND require A+ as a prerequisite...so I'm a little stuck.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Barracuda Bang! posted:

So, I was trying to go towards CCNA via self-study, but I'm not a great self-motivator. I was looking online for courses, but a lot of them are in the $3k+ range. However, I found one on coursehorse for just under $800, here: http://coursehorse.com/ccna-training-nyc/cisco-ccna-ccent-certification

Is that suspiciously cheap? I already have a few years working in IT, and do a little networking and Cisco work (mostly ASAs) as it is, but I'm far from seasoned. I'd be good about doing required studying between classes, but yeah...I tend to lose focus when I'm trying to self-direct over the course of months.

Any advice about whether that class would be worth it, based on anyone's experience, would be appreciated.

Maybe try one of the Chris Bryant videos from Udemy? The short segments may be easier to follow and you can lab along side it seems.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SaltLick posted:

Maybe try one of the Chris Bryant videos from Udemy? The short segments may be easier to follow and you can lab along side it seems.

I did the Laz Diaz CCNA course on udemy for $10, it was long winded and I disliked the guy in general but I passed on my first attempt so I have to give him some credit.

I'm doing Chris Bryant's CCNA security course now (again, coupon deal for $10), and it's pretty fast paced. He definitely assumes you have a good amount of background knowledge and experience.

Overall they're fantastic resources and cost less than a book.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I was looking around the NYC community/city colleges, but they only do it in the Bronx and Staten Island (I could honestly do any of the three other boroughs), and spread it across four $700 courses, AND require A+ as a prerequisite...so I'm a little stuck.

Look at community colleges throughout the state which may offer it online. Spend $200 on a home lab off of Craigslist and then there's really no reason at all to physically attend classes.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

El Chingon posted:

Hi guys, I tried looking for a question like the one the last few pages but couldn't find any. My question is the following:

Any recommendation to study for the Oracle OCA and OCP certs? I work in Tech Support in Mexico, but I sometimes have to travel to other countries in Latin America, so a paid course in a classroom is very difficult for me.

I have a lab server with Oracle 11g under SuSE linux at work for testing that I can use to practice if needed and can access from the intranet. Are there any online courses or books that could help me pass the cert exam?

I've done the 11g OCA and OCP - For the OCP I'd suggest use a virtualbox system and do endless try-it/break-it/fix-it for all of the recovery scenarios (manual and RMAN). With a virtualbox machine you can just use a snapshot to roll things back if you really manage to trash it.

For study guides I found Oracle Press books very good and the CBT Nuggets videos were also useful.

The Transcender Practise Exams were pitched at the right level seemed to match the style & difficulty of the actual exams - so from my perspective it was money well spent.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Baconroll posted:

The Transcender Practise Exams were pitched at the right level seemed to match the style & difficulty of the actual exams
Perhaps the first time this has ever happened.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sheep posted:

Look at community colleges throughout the state which may offer it online. Spend $200 on a home lab off of Craigslist and then there's really no reason at all to physically attend classes.

The Cisco packet tracer can handle absolutely everything necessary for the CCNA, with the benefit of being able to configure complex eigrp, spanning tree, and NAT setups. I would easily recommend finding the packet tracer somewhere over buying a home lab.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Perhaps the first time this has ever happened.

Sure as gently caress wasnt the case when I was trying for some MCSA 2008 testing a couple years ago. Transcender was GARBAGE for MS stuff. They are ok for Cisco practice tests though.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I used Transcender and Boson both for ICND1 and Boson was hard as gently caress compared to Transcender. Both of them hit on topics that weren't even in the concepts for the test too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The exams that come with the OCGs are tougher than the actual CCNA tests too.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is GNS3 enough for passing the CCNA?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Race Realists posted:

Is GNS3 enough for passing the CCNA?

No, you will need specific practice with switches. If you don't own the hardware you can't legally use the ios files, at which point you might as well find the Cisco packet tracer because it's much easier to learn on. Host configuration is super simple and watching packets move step by step is a great way to understand how devices respond.

I hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries for :filez: but those that recommend gns3 will eventually tell you to rip off the ios images anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Packet Tracer will work for CCNA just fine.