Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Could it be broken up like Dancing With The Stars etc? 1 hour main match episode, and then the next day a 30 minute long elimination episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, two hour shows don't really exist in the U.S., and it'd be pretty lame to have one episode of main match and one episode of death match. I've already given up on getting anything even remotely similar to the Genius in the U.S. If you can make a hit game show based on opening up random briefcases, then you don't even really need to put in the effort to get this kind of show made. Plus most game shows are trivia based and not game theory/social management focused. The closest analogue to the Genius I can think of off the top of my head is the Mole, which had pale imitations of Genius games carried out by a group living together in a reality situation, but with one person as a permanent traitor who was selected by the producers to try to sabotage the games while maintaining their cover. That had a somewhat decent run (4 or 5 seasons maybe), but it wasn't quite the same.

The only English speaking area I could see doing a Genius-style show is the U.K., but again I think we'll have to be content with this rad show. Of course, T.V. producers are always scrounging around for an idea to steal, so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

GaussianCopula posted:

The format is not "fast" enough for the typical US timeslot. You only have ~40min for Main Game and Death Match.

Yeah, and to that point every almost game show or reality show I've ever seen is about either a series of small choices (what briefcase do I choose, what's the capital of Alabama cmon hurry hurry!) or a broader challenge that lasts 5-10 minutes like in Survivor or Big Brother. Amazing Race probably goes the longest with the massive travel time and longer than usual games, but I just don't see reality show people being okay with games that always take at least an hour to play. Though again, if you want to keep the glimmer of hope alive, shows like Survivor and Amazing race create a completely ridiculous amount of footage that has to be edited down and run for longer than the Genius does, so we have the technology and skill to edit down long games, just maybe not the will.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 7, 2015

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Frankly I think the personalities of American tv would be the main downfall. I can't imagine US reality/game show contestants having the same charm as Sangmin, Dongmin, or Jinho. For me that charm is one of the best things about the show. I imagine most American contestants would be over the top attention seekers like Hongchul or just complete jerks like Jiwon. The lighthearted nature of the Genius would be something difficult to keep in an American adaptation.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think a Western version would lose a lot of the charm.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
There was a press release about The Genius rights being licensed to the Netherlands, and since then, it's been sold to Australia, I think?

http://translate.google.com/translate?act=url&u=http://program.interest.me/tvn/thegenius2/21/Board/View%3Fb_seq%3D47

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, there's also the issue of most of the contestants being either some degree of celebrity or just applicants who seem highly qualified (like Hyunmin). I can't remember a show that ever mixed celebrities of any level with normal people. They must have happened, but it's drat rare.

In the U.S. we'd be drawing on literally six times the population of South Korea and our entertainment industry is even more developed (entertainment is our only true export in my opinion, after all), so I'm not too concerned with the ability to find good contestants. Swap out announcers for T.V. stars, Seoul University students/alumni for Harvard or other Ivy League alumni, grab a comedian or two, and away you go. Ultimately in my mind it's not an issue of not having the talent or ability, it's an issue of people not willing to take a risk on the show and the very high probability that the U.S. in general would not watch it. We'd have to scale everything up as well, I'm sure reality show makers dream of being able to set up a five room stage and 20 cameras while only awarding around $70k in prize money, but that doesn't really work when we're used to watching reality drama in various mansions and exotic locales while playing for a million dollars.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wil Wheaton as producer/Bandage Oppa (he has lots of ties to board game companies who'd surely be game to consult for and possibly even sponsor games). Invitations extended to Patton Oswalt. Someone from the MIT blackjack team. I dunno, Frank Abagnale Jr or something. Dark horses: some random MSNBC anchor, and someone from One Direction or whatever the popular boy band is these days.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BBC America does 75 minute timeslots for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, so there's precedent for weird foreign shows getting weird foreign timeslot lengths.

Even if that's just commercial based.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
One thing that nags on me a little is how the whole celebrity v non-celebrity contestant thing works.

I don't know of any show here in the UK where celebrities and normal people compete against one another. Celebrity versions of TV shows are always separate from the civvie versions, the celebrity contestants usually get some sort of fee for appearing, and the winnings always go to charity.

I think the idea of a celebrity playing for actual cash for themselves could rub people the wrong way here, but even if they were playing for charity, the idea of effectively forcing the civilians to play against charity also seems kinda weird.

I vaguely remember some early season chat about some contestants possibly donating their winnings but nothing certain. Is it just a cultural thing? Are celebrities not held up in as (weirdly, I think) high esteem as here, and the idea of them just keeping The Money is OK?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
It's Tuesday, and there's 15 new posts in The Genius thread! That can only mean one thing!

...oh :smith:

Regarding the US version, it's really just a matter of casting the right people. If you go with normal Americans, I'm guessing you'd be able to find 13 who are more happy-go-lucky fun contestants rather than cutthroat horrible people. King of the Nerds was more of a upbeat show than a cutthroat competition, and it worked, so the people are out there. It's just a matter of finding them. If you go the celebrity route I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult to find the right people; Penn Gillette, Ken Jennings, etc. would probably fit right into the atmosphere the show should go for. I don't think casting is the real issue.

To me, the potential issues of a US version would be:
  • Target audience - This isn't going to be a gigantic mainstream show in the US in the vein of Survivor, Big Brother, The Apprentice, etc. I don't see the big networks buying into it at all, though I could see some of the bigger cable channels (TBS, etc) trying it out
  • Filming Schedule - Someone brought up the good point in a prior "US Genius" discussion that the Korean version films once a week, but with such a geographically larger country like the US that would be a problem. Whereas if it's all filmed in one shot, I could see that as being incredibly taxing on the producers and players.
  • Soundtrack - So much of the charm of the show is the atmosphere coming from the soundtrack. I don't think the same thing would work on US TV.

Argue posted:

some random MSNBC anchor

Brian Williams. He seems to have a sense of humor and is a known liar

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 7, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think it also helps that they just go back to whatever they are doing in their life and only come to the set when they have to film. A situation where players in America need to live together or sit in an isolated hotel suite for however long they are on the show would probably do damage to how they interact with each other.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Argue posted:

Wil Wheaton as producer/Bandage Oppa (he has lots of ties to board game companies who'd surely be game to consult for and possibly even sponsor games). Invitations extended to Patton Oswalt. Someone from the MIT blackjack team. I dunno, Frank Abagnale Jr or something. Dark horses: some random MSNBC anchor, and someone from One Direction or whatever the popular boy band is these days.

Adam Savage, Alton Brown, Andy Richter, Brian Williams, Ke$ha...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm sure Lady Gaga would be entertaining.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I don't know if anybody here saw the The Quest, but its the only only American reality show I've seen where the contestants weren't dicks and for me it made it very watchable. Well that and the dorky roleplaying was fun kind of like Crime Scene :D . Unfortunately the ratings were quite bad for it and I don't think it got renewed so yeah American The Genius would have an uphill climb probably. Though again as I've said before I think an UK version could be amazing as cerebral game shows are kind of thing there like Only Connect.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Flea Wars posted:

One thing that nags on me a little is how the whole celebrity v non-celebrity contestant thing works.

I don't know of any show here in the UK where celebrities and normal people compete against one another. Celebrity versions of TV shows are always separate from the civvie versions, the celebrity contestants usually get some sort of fee for appearing, and the winnings always go to charity.

I think the idea of a celebrity playing for actual cash for themselves could rub people the wrong way here, but even if they were playing for charity, the idea of effectively forcing the civilians to play against charity also seems kinda weird.

I vaguely remember some early season chat about some contestants possibly donating their winnings but nothing certain. Is it just a cultural thing? Are celebrities not held up in as (weirdly, I think) high esteem as here, and the idea of them just keeping The Money is OK?

korean celebs aren't as rich. most of the idols and such live in tiny apartments and sleep on bunkbeds. jinho has a tiny apartment. sangmin had money problems and so on. i'm sure some pledged to donate though

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

NowonSA posted:

I can't remember a show that ever mixed celebrities of any level with normal people. They must have happened, but it's drat rare.

If you don't count previous reality TV contestants as being celebrities, then they do fairly regularly. Lots of the Celebrity shows have one contestant who's only famous for being on other shows.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Suspicious Dish posted:

There was a press release about The Genius rights being licensed to the Netherlands, and since then, it's been sold to Australia, I think?

http://translate.google.com/translate?act=url&u=http://program.interest.me/tvn/thegenius2/21/Board/View%3Fb_seq%3D47

Yeah, I was going to say that Australia would be really well-equipped for this. Their Masterchef has two-hour timeslots sometimes, and the contestants are generally smart, charming, and they get along well with each other. If there's actually Australian Genius in the pipeline, it's something to be stoked about.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I don't even think that you would need celebs for an international version.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Somebody just send a link to the Genius to Wil Wheaton or Felicia Day. They could probably pull off a budget production and just have a giant prize package filled with geek stuff instead of money. They'll probably play harder to win an Iron Throne or some equally nerdy trophy piece.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
that would be a bad show to watch

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
basically if nerds created the genius it would be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgfpBO4Tb5o

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Suspicious Dish posted:

basically if nerds created the genius it would be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgfpBO4Tb5o

Geek & Sundry has some shred of dignity, Machinima hasn't had any for a long, long time. They based a show around Tommy Wiseau after all.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

Pretty much this. Id have to imagine a US version would be people living in a house, and not people coming each week to play, and I also have to imagine the show wouldn't begin airing while it is still filming.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

GaussianCopula posted:

If an international version used normal reality show recruiting, they'd get a show filled with assholes and tryhards. A show full of Hweejongs, but not as smart.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

King of the Nerds is probably the closest example and what you'd want to take cues from for a US Genius Game. All you'd need to do is replace the let's players and bronies with more Genius-type jobs. It's not like we have a shortage of poker players who like being on TV, and that's like a quarter of the people who have been on The Genius.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Maduo posted:

King of the Nerds is probably the closest example and what you'd want to take cues from for a US Genius Game. All you'd need to do is replace the let's players and bronies with more Genius-type jobs. It's not like we have a shortage of poker players who like being on TV, and that's like a quarter of the people who have been on The Genius.

Oh god that could be an interesting train wreck. Hellmuth would totally be a Yohwan though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There will never be a good western/international version of The Genius. Its impossible, I am sorry.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Maduo posted:

There's a lot of poker players and professional gamers in America, some of them even have good personalities! In fact, it would be feasible to emulate Korea in terms of casting: put in some professional gamers, three or so "normal" people, a handful of comedians/actors and presto. It's more about how you'd handle production and editing, really. American reality and game shows are cast, written and edited to produce and accentuate dumb conflict. If you push the other way, you're gonna mostly avoid assholes.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There will never be a good western/international version of The Genius.

Correct.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its impossible, I am sorry.

Incorrect. Which is why we dream.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MisterZimbu posted:

Correct.

But we can only dream, because it is impossible.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

Correct.

This is correct. It is possible, it will just never happen and if it does it won't be a commercial success anyway.

Between pro poker players, ex-survivor players, a couple of successful game show contestants, a video game nerd and some internet/podcast people that are "internet famous" and fans of the original you could make a compelling and interesting cast.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

At least in South Korea the idols they have on show were at or near the top of their class. At the very least they didn't drop out in the 7th grade like most of the celebrity types over here that the studios would want to cast.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Except for, you know, last seasons winner.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MisterZimbu posted:

Correct.

I meant if it was made, it would not be good.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

xcore posted:

Except for, you know, last seasons winner.

Uh Dongmin went to university and is a comedian not an idol.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

susan posted:

Adam Savage, Alton Brown, Andy Richter, Brian Williams, Ke$ha...

Six people in the same vein as this, the main cast of Friends, Titty God with a translator. Boom, western Genius.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I think the UK could pull it off it was a lower budget version on BBC 4 or something. Get Victoria Coren, David Mitchell (for the husband/wife combo), Rachael Riley, Stephen Fry, Rob Brydon, some Uni professors and an open casting call for the rest and I'd watch the hell out of that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
can we please stop writing celebrity fanfiction and making our One True Genius Pairings tia

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Suspicious Dish posted:

can we please stop writing celebrity fanfiction and making our One True Genius Pairings tia

Let me dream until the next episode comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
A lot of the Korean contestants speak English. Just use those and fill the gaps.