Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Riso posted:

I've several gripes with firefox.
The first is that it seems to use 25% cpu at all times and the other that html5 videos only play when the tab's in focus. As soon as I switch to another tab it pauses.

I would at least like to have the second one fixed.

Firefox only uses about 1% CPU resting on this ancient Core2 and the second one doesn't happen for me at all. Try Safe Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Riso posted:

Whenever AMD made their last WHQL ones.
Update to the latest beta drivers, never use WHQL drivers for AMD videocards. Note that the latest WHQL drivers are from December 2nd, 2014, which is way too old to work for anything that needs recent drivers.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 6, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I recently reimaged my work computer to a 64bit image so I downloaded the 64 bit Dev Firefox. I tried to a dictionary working but there doesn't seem to any spell checking going on, and if I right click in a text box there's no "Languages" menu to enable it, only "Add Dictionaries..."

Is this by design in the Dev Firefox?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Alereon posted:

Update to the latest beta drivers, never use WHQL drivers for AMD videocards. Note that the latest WHQL drivers are from December 2nd, 2014, which is way too old to work for anything that needs recent drivers.

I refuse to use unstable buggy poo poo beta drivers on principle and I expect devs to only test on WHQL because everything else is a waste of time and resouces.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Riso posted:

I refuse to use unstable buggy poo poo beta drivers on principle and I expect devs to only test on WHQL because everything else is a waste of time and resouces.

Nvidia has pushed out like 8 WHQL drivers this year. It'just AMD being :amd: with their drivers.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm looking for a web clipper, but the comments for the evernote add-on make it seem like crap. I don't really care for Evernote, just need something that's able to store highlighted text, and link it with a url.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
There's been a bunch of chatter from Mozilla in the last few days:

First there was this piece of utter fluff that said nothing: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/07/02/what-to-look-forward-to-from-firefox/
Then there was this post to the firefox-dev list that actually went into detail: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2015-July/003062.html
And then this second post, going into even more detail: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2015-July/003063.html

If you just want the abbreviated version, here's an Ars article summing up both posts: http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/07/big-changes-are-coming-to-firefox-to-win-back-users-and-developers/

Things that sound good: Focusing on all the poo poo Firefox SHOULD have by now but still somehow doesn't (e10s, for example).
Things that sound not-so good: Removing XUL and possibly replacing it with native widgets for each target OS. Correct me if this is incorrect, but using native widgets wouldn't just break most UI addons, it would make most of them impossible to do. It would be like Chrome, where you can do a few things (toolbar buttons and whatnot) but nothing drastic (which is why there's no tree style tabs for Chrome).

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

thehustler posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I recently reimaged my work computer to a 64bit image so I downloaded the 64 bit Dev Firefox. I tried to a dictionary working but there doesn't seem to any spell checking going on, and if I right click in a text box there's no "Languages" menu to enable it, only "Add Dictionaries..."

Is this by design in the Dev Firefox?

The current 64 bit Developer Edition goes "Add Dictionaries ..." -> Add a dictionary -> "Enable Spell Check" -> "the "Languages" menu appears" for me. (Menu labels translated to English by me).

Ihmemies posted:

Nvidia has pushed out like 8 WHQL drivers this year. It'just AMD being :amd: with their drivers.

Waiting for that "FireFoxReady Driver™" :smugdog:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Riso posted:

Look dude, do you want your poo poo to work, or do you want to take some weird principled stand on which drivers you're gonna use? I get why you don't want to use buggy and unstable drivers, I don't get why you're presuming that 8 month old drivers are less buggy and more stable than current drivers just because they've gone through WHQL certification.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying it's cool that AMD doesn't publish updated WHQL drivers, but they're right on the edge of bankruptcy so what do you want? Protesting by using older drivers doesn't help.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 7, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Riso posted:

Might be the first person to have a religious reason to pick nvidia.

Did you just never update drivers at all before WHQL?

With all the GPU acceleration browsers do and how much they have to change to chase moving targets like YouTube I'm not going to blame them for not trying to make it work with seven months old drivers that might be missing features.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The drivers, never mind the age, are not the problem, ok? With HW accel off Firefox uses twice as much cpu instead.

Anyway, creating a new profile solved my problems. A mere repair wasn't enough.

My profile was apparently quite hosed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

xamphear posted:

There's been a bunch of chatter from Mozilla in the last few days:

First there was this piece of utter fluff that said nothing: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/07/02/what-to-look-forward-to-from-firefox/
Then there was this post to the firefox-dev list that actually went into detail: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2015-July/003062.html
And then this second post, going into even more detail: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2015-July/003063.html

If you just want the abbreviated version, here's an Ars article summing up both posts: http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/07/big-changes-are-coming-to-firefox-to-win-back-users-and-developers/

Things that sound good: Focusing on all the poo poo Firefox SHOULD have by now but still somehow doesn't (e10s, for example).
Things that sound not-so good: Removing XUL and possibly replacing it with native widgets for each target OS. Correct me if this is incorrect, but using native widgets wouldn't just break most UI addons, it would make most of them impossible to do. It would be like Chrome, where you can do a few things (toolbar buttons and whatnot) but nothing drastic (which is why there's no tree style tabs for Chrome).

I hope they sout out e10s ASAP, Firefox's UI responsiveness is woeful compared with IE, Chrome and Edge (in Windows 10). That said, I wonder which, if any, of these extensions would be affected:

Click to Play per-element
Context Search
FindBar Tweak
FireGestures
LastPass
Restartless Restart
uBlock
Undo Closed Tabs Button
WOT

Those are the ones I've been using for years (Adblock Plus instead of uBlock until recently of course). If Firefox was as responsive as the other browsers and I could keep those extensions, I'd be :unsmith:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I hope they sout out e10s ASAP, Firefox's UI responsiveness is woeful compared with IE, Chrome and Edge (in Windows 10). That said, I wonder which, if any, of these extensions would be affected:

Context Search
FindBar Tweak
FireGestures
LastPass
Restartless Restart
uBlock
Undo Closed Tabs Button
WOT

Those are the ones I've been using for years (Adblock Plus instead of uBlock until recently of course). If Firefox was as responsive as the other browsers and I could keep those extensions, I'd be :unsmith:

You can see the e10s status of a bunch of add-ons at http://arewee10syet.com/. Web of Trust has bugs reported about it, but uBlock seems compatible.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Whats e10? I tried a brief search but got ethanol petrols

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

dud root posted:

Whats e10? I tried a brief search but got ethanol petrols

Electrolysis

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Has development on uBlock stopped? I see uBlock Origin is being updated fairly frequently but uBlock hasn't had an update in over a month.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I see there is some huge exploit with adobe. Can I just delete it off my machine completely or will it break every thing?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Context Search
FindBar Tweak
FireGestures
LastPass
Restartless Restart
uBlock
Undo Closed Tabs Button
WOT

e10s is already in nightly, and works fine with lastpass, ublock origin and click to Play per-element, as I just tried those.
It does break vimperator though, which means I can't use it full-time at the moment, so not sure how much more responsive it is under load. FF39 has improved a bunch over 38 anyway FWIW.

If they're fixing e10s they could just go on to fix their built-in click-to-play plugin code so it works properly (exactly like Chrome is fine), fix the whole "restarts" requirement etc.

It's worth noting btw that the Chrome style per-tab process isolation is not required to fix responsiveness, just adding some reasonable level of process separation (split the UI from rendering threads, move plugins to another thread).

This is kind of the route they're taking last I checked, so we should be good.

edit:

Jippa posted:

I see there is some huge exploit with adobe. Can I just delete it off my machine completely or will it break every thing?

The exploit is with the Adobe Shockwave Flash Plugin.

Feel free to uninstall, it'll only break flash games / videos.

Or you could just go to about :addons, click on "plugins" and set Shockwave Flash to "Never Activate".

n.b. You'd need to do the equivalent for any other browsers you use, which may also have flash enabled.

wooger fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Flash is at the point where you can treat it like cable TV. If you take the step to get rid of it, you realize how little you need it anymore

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
"But I want to play lovely Newgrounds Game #23,598 and watch Cool Flash Loop #59 on AlbinoBlackSheep! gently caress you Dad, you're not the boss of me!"

So how's Shumway coming along, anyway?

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has development on uBlock stopped? I see uBlock Origin is being updated fairly frequently but uBlock hasn't had an update in over a month.

I don't think so, just slow. I'd use Origin over chrisaljoudi's version anyways.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pollyzoid posted:

I'd use Origin over chrisaljoudi's version anyways.

Any particular reason?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

xamphear posted:

e10s and XUL UI extensions are basically incompatible, which is why e10s has taken so long in the first place

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any particular reason?

Origin's the original developer of the Firefox version iirc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Riso posted:

Origin's the original developer of the Firefox version iirc.

Aye, but is Origins better in any way?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aye, but is Origins better in any way?
:shrug: I had problems with a single website where uBlock would seem to forget there were already manually picked rules in place to hide several elements and it would only pick them up again if I re-added them. uBlock Origins had an update that fixed that. Sooner, I should say. I think they exchange fixes for stuff among each other to a degree.

As long as there is no big schism as far as rule syntax goes, it's no big deal to go from one to the other so whatever.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

:shrug: I had problems with a single website where uBlock would seem to forget there were already manually picked rules in place to hide several elements and it would only pick them up again if I re-added them. uBlock Origins had an update that fixed that. Sooner, I should say. I think they exchange fixes for stuff among each other to a degree.

As long as there is no big schism as far as rule syntax goes, it's no big deal to go from one to the other so whatever.

I'll give Origin a go then, I keep blocking People You May Know on Facebook and it keeps coming back.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Riso posted:

AMD must have seen your post because they actually released WHQL drivers today, it only took them 7 months, but now you can go nuts anyway you crazy autistic.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll give Origin a go then, I keep blocking People You May Know on Facebook and it keeps coming back.

FB Purity might be a better solution for that. I used it when I still bothered with Facebook, and it cleans up so much garbage.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

speaking of facebook, firefox for android has an annoying bug where the text entry boxes don't show the text you're typing. any idea how to fix that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lum posted:

speaking of facebook, firefox for android has an annoying bug where the text entry boxes don't show the text you're typing. any idea how to fix that?

Oh please someone know how to fix this. It's a huge pain in the rear end the once or twice a week I comment on something on my phone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you using Ctrl-click when you create the filter?

I had that problem until I realised that uBock normally only creates the filter for the page you make it on. But, when you select the People You May Know, if you ctrl-click on that line in the popup box it adds wildcards that block that item on any page it appears.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Flipperwaldt posted:

I just trust the original dev who produced the entire thing (and also uMatrix) more than I trust the guy who offered to maintain it for him. Gorhill is an amazing dev.

Shame he got cold feet for a bit and tried to retire, as it's caused a lot of confusion and FUD.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I have my work machine configured to basically always be in private browsing mode, and to start with my home page (Google)

Any idea why Tree Style Tab sometimes creates this random extra tab, which then seems to cause an off by one error if you try and close it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread,

Im having sound issues in firefox playing videos through youtube,

The sound comes through my speakers fine but when i select my usb headset as the default device the sound from YT stops, things like twitch and other noises come through fine, just appears to be youtube and some other HTML 5 sites.

I have checked all the usual windows settings, performed multiple clean reinstalls of firefox but the issue still persists.

has anyone else encountered this or found a way round this?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread,

Im having sound issues in firefox playing videos through youtube,

The sound comes through my speakers fine but when i select my usb headset as the default device the sound from YT stops, things like twitch and other noises come through fine, just appears to be youtube and some other HTML 5 sites.

I have checked all the usual windows settings, performed multiple clean reinstalls of firefox but the issue still persists.

has anyone else encountered this or found a way round this?

This isn't a firefox thing. It's a Windows audio thing. Switching devices in the middle of playback really fucks with some plugins and decoders because Windows is loving weird about how it notified active playback processes about switches to output devices. I have this happen all the time with poo poo like MPC and VLC as well. The only consistent workaround I've found is to pause your video and close the tab, switch audio devices, then ctrl+shift+t to get the tab back. Youtube usually remembers where you left off and you can start back up.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This isn't a firefox thing. It's a Windows audio thing. Switching devices in the middle of playback really fucks with some plugins and decoders because Windows is loving weird about how it notified active playback processes about switches to output devices. I have this happen all the time with poo poo like MPC and VLC as well. The only consistent workaround I've found is to pause your video and close the tab, switch audio devices, then ctrl+shift+t to get the tab back. Youtube usually remembers where you left off and you can start back up.

Yeah thats not the thing though, ive reinstalled FF while the headset has been my primary device and it still does the same thing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah thats not the thing though, ive reinstalled FF while the headset has been my primary device and it still does the same thing.

So you're saying that even with FF closed, if you switch to your headset, then start FF and go to youtube, youtube audio is still hosed? If so, then sorry for misunderstanding your issue, I'm not sure what would cause that. Windows definitely has meagaproblems with switching devices during playback, but I've never encountered what you're describing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

So you're saying that even with FF closed, if you switch to your headset, then start FF and go to youtube, youtube audio is still hosed? If so, then sorry for misunderstanding your issue, I'm not sure what would cause that. Windows definitely has meagaproblems with switching devices during playback, but I've never encountered what you're describing.

Yeah, basically whenever FF plays youtube or HTML5 stuff through my headset it produces no sound. Plays fine through the speakers.

Chrome and IE works fine, as do certain sites like twitch in firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah, basically whenever FF plays youtube or HTML5 stuff through my headset it produces no sound. Plays fine through the speakers.

Chrome and IE works fine, as do certain sites like twitch in firefox.

A couple troubleshooting steps (keeping in mind I'm shooting in the dark):

In your device manager, uninstall/remove the USB headset device and unplug the headset. Restart the computer, plug the headset back in, and let Windows redetect it.

If that doesn't work, check the manufacturer's website for an updated driver and see if that clears things up. If not, then it probably is a firefox issue and you should open a bug report with a list of sites that don't work and information about your headset.