Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wasteland 2: UNRATED ED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was contacted by an internal communications director-person for my agency recently about some feedback I had given

She seemed pretty cool so at some point I asked how she got such a cool job and she said it all started by designing her clan's Age of Empires webpage in 1997.

That nerdy turn begat many more

But the reason I am posting this is because at some point I said she should add me on Steam, and after I said my username was "Quarex" she said "like Wasteland?" and I realized that I had reached the pinnacle, and it was time to retire from the Internet.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Salutations my friend. May your handle never be taken in vain.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
That is awesome, Q.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Brother None posted:

That is awesome, Q.
So is this :unsmith:

Good thing I do not know where we talk about Bard's Tale IV stuff here, I am already annoying enough in this thread.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm looking forward to perks and quirks, etc with the update. I kind of burned out on my first playthrough and I am looking forward to the update to give me an excuse to get the game done.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lotish posted:

I'm looking forward to perks and quirks, etc with the update. I kind of burned out on my first playthrough and I am looking forward to the update to give me an excuse to get the game done.

This is where I'm sitting too. I hit California and had some quest resolution trouble and put it up while it got some polish. I can't wait for the revamped everything.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Man, is this update ever coming out? Guess the Director's Cut isn't til late August.

EDIT: okay so according to the officiall forums the release date is now Oct. 13th. Dang.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 5, 2015

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Does the update fix up the attribute system at all?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Upmarket Mango posted:

Well, they added some cutesy traits and flaws, so maybe? I'm leaning towards not really. Not everyone thinks it's weird, bad and counterintuitive, apparently.

Without changing the mechanics at all, I'd say that I'd just prefer random stats.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, they added some cutesy traits and flaws, so maybe? I'm leaning towards not really. Not everyone thinks it's weird, bad and counterintuitive, apparently.

Without changing the mechanics at all, I'd say that I'd just prefer random stats.

I never understood people bitching about the game's graphics and poo poo like that, but by god, I totally understand people taking issue with the character attribute design.

It's just done so poorly. If they're just adding stuff to it I can't imagine it'll be worth much of anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

I never understood people bitching about the game's graphics and poo poo like that, but by god, I totally understand people taking issue with the character attribute design.

It's just done so poorly. If they're just adding stuff to it I can't imagine it'll be worth much of anything.

I know I had more fun when I edited my characters to have an extra point per stat. It made it easier to have characters that can do stuff.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Hopefully by removing it completely.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Man, I hope so. Each stat point should have an affect, however little, IMO. The stats had such weird scaling and was a real dark spot on an otherwise pretty baller game.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Quarex, did you do your own voice?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/1335105

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Haha, no. One of my friends who has done voice work in the past saw the original posting, but only after it had expired; I do not know if anyone saw the new one (though they may have just used the same actor?).

I do enjoy the sense that Quarex is always about one mean word away from crying, hahaha. But mostly I am just pretty stoked that he-I somehow managed to get new lines in the new edition. WHY IS IT NOT OUT YET

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Man, I really wanted to like this game. It's 90s as gently caress, which I loved, and it really takes me back to playing Fallout 1/2. But in the end it was a bit of a grind. Maybe I played too many side quests, and I should have just focused on the main quest.

The last few battles put the final nail in the coffin for me. My surgeon/computer expert was ripped from my party in one of the final battles, with no option to save her, and the only way out of the map needed the computer science skill. Ugh.

Using skills was a chore, and most of them aren't worth using. Also pistols and SMGs were pretty much useless. My snipers and heavy weapons people were the only ones doing decent damage.

Maybe the new update fixes some issues, but yeah I wouldn't recommend this game.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I'm about 10 hours in (how long is this game?) and liking it a lot.
I agree that skillchecks are tedious esp. with savescumming but I really enjoy the battle mechanics.
Wish I hadn't gone shotgun with my main guy though, he has ended up as the worst of my 4 and I think it's due to his terrible range.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

I agree that skillchecks are tedious esp. with savescumming but I really enjoy the battle mechanics.
Wish I hadn't gone shotgun with my main guy though, he has ended up as the worst of my 4 and I think it's due to his terrible range.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...3A+Steam+RSS%29

Hold on, game is getting a major update on in a month that you might want to wait for.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Yeah seriously, stop and wait for the update. Then you can restart without shotgun. Snipers, assault rifles and heavy weapons are the best. Only downside is the cost of ammo.

Don't be like me and attempt every lock/safe/hole I really don't remember anything worthwhile. Focus instead on the conversation skills like hard rear end etc.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
They're going to rebalance the weapons, though, right?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive just started this game yesterday, steam version on Mint Linux 17. It runs fine and Im enjoying, but it is crashing to desktop at random, often.

Anyone else has this kind of issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive just started this game yesterday, steam version on Mint Linux 17. It runs fine and Im enjoying, but it is crashing to desktop at random, often.

Anyone else has this kind of issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

I can't speak to crash/Linux issues, but in general

Disco De Soto posted:

Yeah seriously, stop and wait for the update.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lprsti99 posted:

I can't speak to crash/Linux issues, but in general

Oh crap, I though they would have fixed it by now.

I have this game since day 0, I backed the kickstarter. After release I tried it and had issues (on windows) and decided to wait for some patches. Its been a while already, I though I would find the game stable and balanced and all.

When is this update coming?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

When I started blatantly cheating so everyone had an extra point per stat, I felt my shotgunner benefited the most because now he could reliably move into positions that let him hit enough targets to make his damage meaningful. It helps when you get California shotguns too since they're more damage and less AP intensive for some reason.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Scotchmo should be your go-to shotgun dude. Give him the Jackhammer, and pray that when he goes nuts and starts firing wildly he does more damage to the enemy than you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Disco De Soto posted:

The last few battles put the final nail in the coffin for me. My surgeon/computer expert was ripped from my party in one of the final battles, with no option to save her, and the only way out of the map needed the computer science skill. Ugh.
I went on about my dislike of the game at length earlier in the thread, but: Matthias drops a floppy disk, which acts as a door key. I think it's a unique item, dropped form a boss, and the description mentions it can be used to open the door.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its been a while already, I though I would find the game stable and balanced and all.

When is this update coming?
Well the game was already pretty stable, though I know nothing of the Linux issues, and the balance was such a huge overhaul that they rolled it into the entirely new version. Which I believe is coming in what, three weeks?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Quarex posted:

. Which I believe is coming in what, three weeks?

Oct 13.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New trailer with gamepad ui

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTh6DdFYT40

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
quarex, poked you on fb, want to talk about more Wasteland 2 stuff.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

LotsBread posted:

quarex, poked you on fb, want to talk about more Wasteland 2 stuff.
SPOILERS

Also this is an awesome article

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/10/02/uncovering-the-fallout-series-true-origins

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

There's an error in that article. The Survival Guide didn't come with the game, it was the sold-separately "hint book." :colbert:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peas and Rice posted:

There's an error in that article. The Survival Guide didn't come with the game, it was the sold-separately "hint book." :colbert:
I tried to figure out where to contact the author when I saw that, and then somehow my brain was wiped and I never followed through. THIS WILL NOT STAND

Edit: Haha, I see I was beaten on Twitter; good

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

I tried to figure out where to contact the author when I saw that, and then somehow my brain was wiped and I never followed through. THIS WILL NOT STAND

Edit: Haha, I see I was beaten on Twitter; good

If we can't correct this error on social media what is the point of the internet??

(I actually didn't know about the Wasteland pinball table, that's loving rad.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peas and Rice posted:

If we can't correct this error on social media what is the point of the internet??

(I actually didn't know about the Wasteland pinball table, that's loving rad.)
Same.

I am almost positive that over the years I have noticed even more similarities than that article listed, honestly, but then again there is some sort of pop culture rule that fans of something will always know more about it than the creator will. Well, other than things never actually put into a finished product. ...though even then, sometimes.

Oh, the Wikia article is a good place for a few more:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_(game)

drat even I never noticed that they re-used Huey, Dewey, and Louie's dog tag numbers.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I quit in the middle of Wasteland 2, but I think I'm going to try and give the Director's Cut a shot in a week. This time around, if I get turned off or stuck, I think I'll just cheat myself a bunch of points and power through. The game had a lot I didn't like, but there was plenty of good in there if you kept on pushing.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
DLC should be an exploratory party towards the great unknown of Washington, where a hot-bed of radio activity implies Matthias and COCHISE weren't the only threats in the area.

make it italian mob clowns and we're good

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Italian Mobsters who only have knowledge of how the Mafia acted through Martin Scorsese films and knowledge of Italians via Nintendo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Will there be an expansion for the game, or is it dependent on how wildly successful the upgrade does for console/pc sales?

• Locked thread