Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

yes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Looking good!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:fap:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Yessss! If I saw that cover at a used book store, I'd snatch it right up.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 7, 2015

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
So out of curiosity how do you even pronounce qud? I've been pronouncing it like cood.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i say it like mud

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i say it like mud

I say cud myself, dunno where you are getting the M from :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's pronounced coq.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Geokinesis posted:

I say cud myself, dunno where you are getting the M from :v:

thanks dad :rolleye:

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I pronounce it "blueballs".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
kwud, obviously.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Edwhirl posted:

So out of curiosity how do you even pronounce qud? I've been pronouncing it like cood.

Cud, like what cows eat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don't see any caves there. :colbert:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Personally I say it "qud"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

PleasingFungus posted:

kwud, obviously.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
pleased to announce that i will be writing the Caves of Qud official novelization.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Alehkhs posted:

Yessss! If I saw that cover at a used book store, I'd snatch it right up.

I was actually thinking this looked like the cover of a novel, has the right font and everything.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

StarkRavingMad posted:

I bought it, it seems very feature-complete with the main thing missing right now being certain side-branches to the ascent that aren't in yet. The UI is probably the most polished I've seen in a non-graphical roguelike. It's a lot of fun. It's REALLY hard, maybe a little unfairly so at time right now, but it's still in balancing and the side branches should help a little with the difficulty scaling, from what I understand.

With that said, $30 is a lot for a roguelike and if you do buy into it, it's certainly with the thought that you're funding development. It's clearly a passion project for this guy and he put a lot of work into it and it shows.

There's a pretty decent Youtube LP of it here if you want to see a bit about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMhPC_hVxk4
"This guy" here. Thanks and yes about this:

StarkRavingMad posted:

the side branches should help a little with the difficulty scaling, from what I understand.
The dynamics of the game will change significantly once the world is complete--you'll be able to take those mid/late-game exits to alternative routes, and there will be more choices for how you want to tackle the end-game.

That said, it's hard, but once you are familiar with all the mechanics, you can win a lot of runs, as I think it should be in any good roguelike. This is what I'll want to balance the final game for, once the branches are all in there to balance. The top player right now can win pretty much every run using the stealth+speed+hacking approach. :ninja: To my knowledge no one has yet won going the blow everything away route (some have come close), but that is intended to be hard mode, and is probably too difficult as is for the last few floors, because it's more balanced against some of the later content you don't have access to yet (in the branches).

Lilli posted:

I was actually thinking this looked like the cover of a novel, has the right font and everything.
A Dune novel, no less!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't see any caves there. :colbert:

It is grue. You may get eaten by a dork.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Edwhirl posted:

I think handofLuke pronounced it "kud" like what cows chew in one of the roguelike conferences.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Obviously it's pronounced like "queued".

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I remember someone earlier in thread was talking about being interested in going in on a three pack for cogmind with two other goons. Did anyone ever take you up on that offer, because I think Im at the point where Im interested enough to go in on it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lilli posted:

I remember someone earlier in thread was talking about being interested in going in on a three pack for cogmind with two other goons. Did anyone ever take you up on that offer, because I think Im at the point where Im interested enough to go in on it.

I don't know, but I'd do that too; $20 I'm willing to pay, $30 is just pushing it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think handofLuke pronounced it "kud" like what cows chew in one of the roguelike conferences.

yeah it's cud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03XXzcThGU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

If you're using me as a font of truth about any topic, something has gone very, very wrong.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's pronounced "Qud", obviously, I don't get why this is confusing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kyzrati posted:

"This guy" here. Thanks and yes about this:

The dynamics of the game will change significantly once the world is complete--you'll be able to take those mid/late-game exits to alternative routes, and there will be more choices for how you want to tackle the end-game.

That said, it's hard, but once you are familiar with all the mechanics, you can win a lot of runs, as I think it should be in any good roguelike. This is what I'll want to balance the final game for, once the branches are all in there to balance. The top player right now can win pretty much every run using the stealth+speed+hacking approach. :ninja: To my knowledge no one has yet won going the blow everything away route (some have come close), but that is intended to be hard mode, and is probably too difficult as is for the last few floors, because it's more balanced against some of the later content you don't have access to yet (in the branches).

A Dune novel, no less!

Oh I didn't know you posted here! Very cool game and it's quickly rising among my favorite roguelikes. And yes, the more I play of it the better I get, although I haven't won one yet. The attachment mechanic certainly leads to some fun stories. Like jettisoning nearly everything during a firefight that I was going to lose and zipping away as nearly core-only at double fast speed -- I was laughing at the thought of this massive combat bot suddenly crumbling to pieces and its brain flying away. Or the opposite: I managed to kill a pretty hefty mid-game jerk with me down to nothing but a chainsword. Rolling out the door after that armed with double Penetrators and high-end attachments from my enemies' scrap was a cool "WHATS UP NOW" moment.

I do need to get better at stealth running. I probably need to use fabricators a little more to be sure I have that gear in place before I get too high. But yeah, I'd agree with the contention that going heavy should be viable, even if it is hard mode - but as you say, I understand that branching should help.

A question (and feel free to answer this as specifically or as vaguely as you like, since I understand you may want to preserve some mystery on this mechanic): what raises alert level? I assume it's killing stuff, failing hacks, and wanton destruction, but I never feel quite clear on whether I'm making a big dumb mistake that is screwing me. For example, is blowing away a few green guys here and there for parts/matter okay, or am I doing the equivalent of murdering civilians and bringing the world down on me?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Prism posted:

So, new Roguelike question: Cogmind.

Cogmind looks interesting but it's still in alpha. For anyone who's played it here: How feature-complete is it at the moment, and is it actually as good as it looks? I realize that second part's a bit subjective of course but I'd like to get other people's ideas on it. $30 is a lot to drop on an unfinished game; I don't mind beta testing in general but I'd like to know where it's going beyond the official articles on the web site (which are interesting, and I've read most of them).

I bought the alpha a week ago and have been playing it non stop. It's extremely engrossing, polished, and feature deep. I'm looking forward to the branches, new features like traps, and greater unveiling of the plot, but as is it feels like a complete game. I think it's worth the current asking price.

Now, I refuse to play stealthy-like. All of my runs are combat based and I tend to get 'asploded around Factory 4. Each run through I'm getting better, and can consistently get to the late mid-game. Once I can routinely get to the end-game with a combat build I'll post something more in-depth.

One thing I've noticed to a successful gun run is AoE EMP weapons. They don't drain matter like rocket or grenade launchers; they don't obliterate enemy units so there's more parts to scavenge; and their downsides (energy consumption and heat) can be pretty easily offset with batteries and coolant. Utility slot items are definitely my favorite items.

e: also, this game is the king of comebacks. It requires a very different mindset than other roguelikes. Once I got half my hp blown off in a fight, along with all of my items. In most games this would be game over. With no items, your cogmind's default speed is pretty fast. I zipped around the level, found enough items to get back into fighting form, and regained all my hp upon finding the level exit. You can rebound from catastrophic setbacks in this game that's different from most roguelikes.

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 7, 2015

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Prism posted:

I don't know, but I'd do that too; $20 I'm willing to pay, $30 is just pushing it.

I'd be up for that if you have a 3rd.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tremis posted:

I'd be up for that if you have a 3rd.

I don't unless Lilli wants in, in which case I do. Not sure what the best way to organize it is, though, I don't have PMs.

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013
No PMs either. We'll figure something out if Lilli wants to do it. Tremis on Steam if that helps.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I will buy Cogmind if it gets a Mac release. I'm not holding my breath, but it sounds pretty cool and hey, I can hope.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I will not buy Cogmind. Robots are taking jobs away from hard working dwarves, elves, and necromansers, and I'll be damned if I support it happening.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm really bad at Cogmind and have only managed to make any real progress like a handful of times but that guy who said the UI is good was super right. It's fantastic

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Frank Herbert's ghost is going to haunt you

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tremis posted:

No PMs either. We'll figure something out if Lilli wants to do it. Tremis on Steam if that helps.

I tried to add you (I'm Wildcard). We can finish organizing up there.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh I didn't know you posted here! Very cool game and it's quickly rising among my favorite roguelikes. And yes, the more I play of it the better I get, although I haven't won one yet. The attachment mechanic certainly leads to some fun stories. Like jettisoning nearly everything during a firefight that I was going to lose and zipping away as nearly core-only at double fast speed -- I was laughing at the thought of this massive combat bot suddenly crumbling to pieces and its brain flying away. Or the opposite: I managed to kill a pretty hefty mid-game jerk with me down to nothing but a chainsword. Rolling out the door after that armed with double Penetrators and high-end attachments from my enemies' scrap was a cool "WHATS UP NOW" moment.

I do need to get better at stealth running. I probably need to use fabricators a little more to be sure I have that gear in place before I get too high. But yeah, I'd agree with the contention that going heavy should be viable, even if it is hard mode - but as you say, I understand that branching should help.

A question (and feel free to answer this as specifically or as vaguely as you like, since I understand you may want to preserve some mystery on this mechanic): what raises alert level? I assume it's killing stuff, failing hacks, and wanton destruction, but I never feel quite clear on whether I'm making a big dumb mistake that is screwing me. For example, is blowing away a few green guys here and there for parts/matter okay, or am I doing the equivalent of murdering civilians and bringing the world down on me?
Ya, I been lurking SA for years, but only recently signed up to talk directly with goons now that the game is out.

Great to hear stories! A backup last-resort melee weapon can really tear 'em up. With the right parts you can put together some nasty dedicated melee builds. The one thing I was just again yesterday lamenting is the lack of dual/multi-wielding, but it wouldn't work with the mechanics that make melee weapons unique. Had to make the assumption you can only use one at a time in order to make them so powerful and give them special effects.

About your question, no secret, really. Theoretically you can hack terminals to follow the alert level and gradually figure out how much everything affects it. In general, anything you do that causes trouble will raise the level by a relative amount. So yeah, even killing the green dudes does it. However, they are much less valuable so there's little impact there unless you start mass-murdering. That's a different story.

The most successful confrontational strategies will involve hacking threat records out of the system when the opportunity presents itself.

Having allies multiplies the security increases, which is more likely to call down assault squads, or even better-equipped assaults squads, so that's dangerous. I do want to make it so that when as your allies are destroyed the alert level comes down a bit. That currently doesn't happen, so when they're gone you're left to deal with a floor on super high alert! I'll make this change for Alpha 2.

@Happylisk: Glad you're having fun with it, and yeah, it's all about the comebacks. Cogmind makes you feel really good again and again like that :D. Not a game for every RL fan though, because that kind of gameplay is predicated on the fact that there's little permanence to your build. Many roguelikers thoroughly enjoy the idea of gradually growing a unique character, and it was a shame to have to give that up here. But hey, new things are new!

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Prism posted:

I tried to add you (I'm Wildcard). We can finish organizing up there.

Added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why does the useless and suicidal ramming attack require no further input than simple movement? A serf enters a door I thought I was going through and now all my stuff is broken.