Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

bowmore posted:

Welp I did the Pottermore test and it gave me Ravenclaw.

My wand is also Redwood with Unicorn hair core, 12 and a quarter inches, Pliant.

I'm a slytherin with a 12 3/4 inch sycamore dragon core wand, unyielding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
10 1/4 inch, Rowan, Dragon, Surprisingly Swishy.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why do some people get insulted if you say they would be Hufflepuffe. My only exposure is to the movies.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
because Hufflepuff are the sidekicks

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have an old friend from high school who was SUPER into harry potter, like freakout levels, and got both a lightning bolt tattoo and a hufflepuff tattoo, on arm and lower leg respectively. She LOVED hufflepuff. But Hufflepuff is basically an entire house of neville longbottoms who don't get nearly as lucky as neville longbottom.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

Why do some people get insulted if you say they would be Hufflepuffe. My only exposure is to the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Z5_wipT2o
(this person taught me improv and is pretty cool)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

(this person taught me improv and is pretty cool)

Whoa I've seen this before! Sweet.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If you're not brave, ambitious or smart you're basically a complete moron worthy only of scorn.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Amoeba102 posted:

If you're not brave, ambitious or smart you're basically a complete moron worthy only of scorn.

wow rude

hufflepuff with a 13 inch wand, acacia with dragon core, quite flexible

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

bowmore posted:

do the pottermore test and find out for real

I did it in the past and got Slytherin (but that is probably what I wanted to get).

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

13 inch dogwood, phoenix feather core, solid.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I got 34 inch maple with a large barrel profile.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

wow rude

hufflepuff with a 13 inch wand, acacia with dragon core, quite flexible

It's not my opinion - just a summary of the video and/or popular opinion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what the difference in wood types (pliable, unyielding, etc) has on magic/duelling

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm just going to keep imagining you're writing 'wang' and laugh and laugh

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
(download link)Nain is the Harry Potter roleplaying game I always wanted.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Ravenclaw is pretty much the worst house. All of the other houses praise values and effort, Ravenclaw praises and worships talent.

Anyone can be brave or kind or ambitious. Not everyone can be brilliant and clever and all that jazz. Ravenclaw is filled with people who make their talents a stronger part of their character than their choices.

ravenclaw isnt the house for smart people, despite what stupid hat says. its the house for people who value the pursuit of knowledge above all else. its not like everyone in every other house is stupider than all the ravenclaws.

that said rowling didnt understand her own houses bc hermione isnt in ravenclaw.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ravenclaws are also for the wise and the eccentric

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

that said rowling didnt understand her own houses bc hermione isnt in ravenclaw.

I don't wanna go into it but Hermione is well-written and does in fact belong in Gryffindor.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Indeed.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Speaking of Rowling's writing, my GF was reading the murder mystery she wrote under a pen name. I told her "The murderer will be the first person the detective talked to". "But the detective first talks to the brother who hired him!" - So guess how it ends :smug:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Speaking of Rowling's writing, my GF was reading the murder mystery she wrote under a pen name. I told her "The murderer will be the first person the detective talked to". "But the detective first talks to the brother who hired him!" - So guess how it ends :smug:

Yeah. I read it too. I won't be reading the second one.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I don't wanna go into it but Hermione is well-written and does in fact belong in Gryffindor.

she's not well-written, which is exactly why she belongs in gryffindor.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

supposedly values courage over knowledge, spends all of her time studying and learning things instead of doing bmx tricks. yeah ok. loving bullshit. also the stupid hat put me in the evil wizard house

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

her dentist parents instilled the importance of courage in her as they expertly delved into the mouth of many a screaming child

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

who even values bravery over everything else. like wtf. how is there a whole house dedicated to this.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Regardless of how Rowling writes, the houses work how she wants them to because she is the author. She can't not understand how they work

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Gulag you are 100% Ravenclaw, just look at the chart, dummy

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

people write about things they don't understand all the time. i know she doesn't understand several things about her own universe because it contradicts itself all the time.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If she invented it, it works as she says it does. Writing about things you don't understand is for realms not controlled by your own imagination.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the way she says it works in interviews and the way it actually works, as written, are two different things. she doesnt have a clue

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The way it works in the book is a narrative device. The way it works in interviews is because of fanatics.

OR

It works a way in the books and she's revising it on the fly after the fact. It depends if you care about reading the book or fantasising and self inserting/writing fan fiction etc.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am so glad that I've never read or watched any of the Harry Potter books/movies.

At some point, maybe I'll finish reading book 2 of ASoIaF, but epic fantasy novels got sort of tiring. I haven't actually even finished the WoT series or the SoT series. However, I kind of want to go back and read the Dragonlance books again just for funsies.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if she was revising it after the fact she would probably say something along the lines of "it should have actually been like ____" as she did with ron getting married to hermione, the greatest of sins

specifically she talks about slytherin house a certain way, all the time, that is contradictory to how it is presented in books 1-7 and movies 1-60

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TMMadman posted:

I am so glad that I've never read or watched any of the Harry Potter books/movies.

At some point, maybe I'll finish reading book 2 of ASoIaF, but epic fantasy novels got sort of tiring. I haven't actually even finished the WoT series or the SoT series. However, I kind of want to go back and read the Dragonlance books again just for funsies.

Read the first 3 ASoIaF books. Then read Pratchett.

GulagDolls posted:

if she was revising it after the fact she would probably say something along the lines of "it should have actually been like ____" as she did with ron getting married to hermione, the greatest of sins

Does it really matter? It's all fantasy.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
author is dead and gulag killed her

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

In your own head, it can be whatever you want it to be. Same goes for Authors when they put it on the page.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

Read the first 3 ASoIaF books. Then read Pratchett.

Does it really matter? It's all fantasy.

oh can we only talk about things that matter??? is that it??? is that how this is gonna go?? FINE

im going to go watch "ZOMBEAVERS" tomorrow

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

In your own head, it can be whatever you want it to be. Same goes for Authors when they put it on the page.

its fine if its different in her head, but there is really only one interpretation of a childrens book, when its on paper. its not some deep thing with multiple meanings, just one meaning that wasnt what she apparently intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

which indicates to me that she is in fact a stupid idiot, and not as good a writer as whoever made zombeavers.