Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I only race in cockpit mode so I'm acutely aware of the mirror because it's the only real method of situational awareness + the distance meter if you're using a wheel, because there is no thumbstick look functionality on wheels.

If you're just saying you don't like the boring numbers rather than something a bit more in-character (arrows or whatever) well, that's like, your opinion man, and you're welcome to it because I'm an advocate of immersion.

But Generic Arrow pointing left doesn't convey 'hey there's a car 3 feet away from you don't do anything weird' quite as immediately as "Distance to enemy Jaguar: 1 meter"

When they announced it was returning i imagined a scenerio where someone is in first, and i start throwing good laps together and catching them up. I'd rather they notice when the car suddenly grows bigger and bigger behind them, not have them see "oh, his number suddenly started to get smaller, better speed up".

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
It's not mutually exclusive. In FM4, which had the numbers, the game still showed cars in your mirror when they were behind you. I'm sure the cars will still be there in FM6 :)

Also, I'm not sure if you've ever played Gran Turismo on the Playstation, but Forza has always been the more casual of the two, so all the poo poo you're advocating for would likely be implemented in the next iteration of that series rather than the next Forza game. GT is much more likely to have qualifying, pit boards, etc.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm okay with

CAR AHEAD +0.8
CAR BEHIND -0.31

I don't think I want indicators outside that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how about a button to check with the race engineer, say left dpad, you press it to check car behind/car ahead and robert duvall's barely intelligible voice mumbles the times followed with quirky one liners from days of thunder

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
That would be great. I'm not proposing forcing people to play Simsperg mode, but if there is a "casual" mode and a "flags and rules" mode you can opt into. Would people feel cheated because they feel entitled to enjoy all of the games content only in little crashy 3 lap bites?

Even if Gran Turismo has more cars and flags and rules, I hate the physics and controls compared to forza. It feels like too much tire grip with too little body roll effect. I traded my 360 for a ps3 to try it and regretted the poo poo out of it.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 1, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

That would be great. I'm not proposing forcing people to play Simsperg mode, but if there is a "casual" mode and a "flags and rules" mode you can opt into. Would people feel cheated because they feel entitled to enjoy all of the games content only in little crashy 3 lap bites?

Even if Gran Turismo has more cars and flags and rules, I hate the physics and controls compared to forza. It feels like too much tire grip with too little body roll effect. I traded my 360 for a ps3 to try it and regretted the poo poo out of it.

I don't think it's unfair either to say turn10 doesn't want to lose focus on what forza was meant to be, which was a pick up racing game with highly customizable cars. I mean flags and rules probably just get in they way when you're balancing hundreds cars into different classes for short pick up races. The longer the races I've found, the more painful it is when the 1st place guys are always in the cheater cars. That's why project cars owes itself to have every race be identical cars. i mean they could spend more time and money balancing towards simulation (which doesn't seem to be going entirely so well for SMS), or they can make a really solid, bug free, racing game with lots of cars and high attention to detail (like the sound department, I still haven't found a pc sim that matches forza). I'm just saying it's not as simple in development to just include a mode that has long races with flag rules that are actually enforced, done correctly, and not half assed (again like the flag rules in pcars)

I think in the actual demographic of forza, people who care about flags and rules and actually such a small niche (those people generally have access to pc sims anyways), you're talking about changing a lot about the game's focus to suit that. you could lose more people than you gain

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 1, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I see your point, but is it really Simsperg to have "a car is off the road ahead of you, temporary yellow flag icon pops on screen until he rejoins the road" or "when you beat a lunch of short casual races, longer more complex ones open up"? Just having optional modes or races for me in game will drive buyers away?

I think forza has had a liiiitle more Sim focus than you imply (forza 5 took a massive casual lurch). If you suggest I play Pcars or assetto corsa, what would you say if I suggested need for speed, or GRID?

I think it's obvious we want slightly different versions of forza. But in 3 and 4 they catered to both crowds. (Or you think I'm more Sim sperg than I do)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 1, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If it's done correctly I'm alll for it, and especially fully animated pit crews, and the option to have as many laps as you want. but I'm still deflated about flags and penalties since project cars made out like it was going to be great to have working flag rules, and then it turned out to be a buggy piece of poo poo part of the game. I just don't want turn10 to make the same mistakes as pc sims of releasing 'finished' games with a bunch of broken sim features they can't get right

can we can give turn10 a little credit? despite the dlc bullshit that destroyed forza 5's fanbase. they've surely thought 'should we add flag rules' for years now, and ruled against it for their own reasons

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 1, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Does any sim feature flawless flag/penalty rules involving AI? I'm sure making the two systems play nice is a helluva challenge.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I see your point, but is it really Simsperg to have "a car is off the road ahead of you, temporary yellow flag icon pops on screen until he rejoins the road"
This would be remarkably easy to use for trolling. I know you're just throwing an example out there, but this is one reason flags would be terribly difficult to implement.

quote:

(Or you think I'm more Sim sperg than I do)
Yeah, we do. Cubivore too.

ethanol posted:

If it's done correctly I'm alll for it, and especially fully animated pit crews
I think if they did this, it would look absolutely ridiculous as the car's aero/bumpers/panels/windshield/tires are replaced in about 5 seconds

quote:

I just don't want turn10 to make the same mistakes as pc sims of releasing 'finished' games with a bunch of broken sim features they can't get right

can we can give turn10 a little credit? despite the dlc bullshit that destroyed forza 5's fanbase. they've surely thought 'should we add flag rules' for years now, and ruled against it for their own reasons
I'll give T10 credit for this. Their games have bugs, to be sure, but for the most part they don't really affect gameplay much, aside from the random lobby crashing.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Does any sim feature flawless flag/penalty rules involving AI? I'm sure making the two systems play nice is a helluva challenge.
I've been playing racing games since Mario Kart came out on the SNES, and for the longest time no game has even advanced the AI farther than having them all drive the same racing line, with no passes unless affected by a human driver. Forza's doing decent progress in that regard with it's Drivatars, but there's still a hell of a long way to go. Enforcing something like a flag system would work a LOT better with AI cars than human cars, though, as they can be forced into flag rules a lot easier and won't try to disobey them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the issue with flags is in real life they're deployed at the judgement of someone who can actually use a brain, in games they're at the mercy of being deployed when X, Y, and sometimes Z but never Q conditions are invoked and like all game logic systems, rely on development that usually involves "outside-the-box" thinking - such as - the sticky ground on some tracks to prevent cheaters from cutting corners.

But then you get massive amounts of idiots crying that sticky ground is soooooooooooooooo unrealistic and omg it's disgusting and casual!!!! as they crash into barriers at 220 mph and then drive away (which curiously almost never gets brought up in the sooo unrealistic griping.) They'd say the same thing about any flag system because it would be unfair when it happens to them and unfair when it DOESN'T happen to everyone else.

If there was a flag system like Dizzle mentioned, guaranteed the 3rd person controller drivers who never drive anything but the cheateriest cars would use it to grief everyone else. This is how vidjagames work.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
D-d-d-d-ouble post!

FM.net posted:

Today’s Forza Garage announcement kicks off with a bang with the announcement of ten FIA Formula E cars making their debuts in Forza Motorsport 6. The original 2014 Renault Spark SRT_01E made its worldwide debut in Forza Motorsport 5 as a DLC car – this time, the entire field of the 2014/2015 FIA Formula E season will be represented for the first time in a console racing game.

Here are the other cars we are announcing today:

2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
1963 Volkswagen Beetle
1975 Fiat X1/9
2015 Lexus RC F
1988 Lamborghini Jalpa
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Lotus Exige S
1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata
2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG
1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi
1997 BMW M3
1969 Nissan Fairlady Z 432
2014 Maserati Ghibli S
2013 Audi RS 4 Avant
1949 Mercury Coupe
1994 Honda Prelude Si
1991 Honda CR-X SiR
1971 Plymouth GTX 426 HEMI
1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"
2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427
2009 MINI John Cooper Works
2005 TVR Sagaris
2010 Renault Megane RS 250
2003 Volkswagen Golf R32
1995 Volkswagen Corrado VR6
2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
1983 GMC Vandura G-1500

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_forza_garage

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Formula E will be cool because all the verbal griefing will be much more audible.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

quote:

1988 Lamborghini Jalpa

Love this

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
An entire field of Formula E cars? That'll be a must for goon racing.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Someone who picks the cars must have a 94 miata. Traditionally they always put in the highest-trim and year for performance in a given body style. Same with the 79 camaro. Odd choices that stick out, but i dont mind.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

quote:

1975 Fiat X1/9

Well this is gonna end up as my Tesla Roadster equivalent I think.

quote:

Lamborghini Jalpa

That's unexpected. Maybe the Espada isn't as unlikely of an inclusion as I thought.

Ether Frenzy posted:

But then you get massive amounts of idiots crying that sticky ground is soooooooooooooooo unrealistic and omg it's disgusting and casual!!!!

Sticky grass is fine in concept, it's more that in certain places it's terrible. Dumping one half of one wheel onto the grass at Indianapolis shouldn't send you from 200 to 40 in less than 2 seconds. In places where it's there to prevent people from cutting chicanes it's perfectly acceptable, though also very inconsistent (ie you can cut the chicane at Suzuka and gain a 5+ second advantage no problem).

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 2, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

quote:

1988 Lamborghini Jalpa

You know, this is actually not the first console game that the Jalpa has been included in. It was also in Driver: San Francisco. (Come on, where's the next entry in the Driver series at?)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cubey posted:

Sticky grass is fine in concept, it's more that in certain places it's terrible. Dumping one half of one wheel onto the grass at Indianapolis shouldn't send you from 200 to 40 in less than 2 seconds. In places where it's there to prevent people from cutting chicanes it's perfectly acceptable, though also very inconsistent (ie you can cut the chicane at Suzuka and gain a 5+ second advantage no problem).
And we're back to video games having to make judgement calls on what's "cheating" and what is merely incompetence and this is why flag systems aren't as easy to implement well as they seem.

Personally I preferred the dirty lap system from 2 over what it became in 3 and beyond because it allowed corner cutting but it added massive amount of penalty time so did a better job of dissuading off-road excursions as the tradeoff almost never paid off.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Someone who picks the cars must have a 94 miata. Traditionally they always put in the highest-trim and year for performance in a given body style. Same with the 79 camaro. Odd choices that stick out, but i dont mind.
That first-gen Miata is arguably much better to include in a racing game than the second or third generation.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm hoping for some kind of mud track or something to give Jeeps and F-150s a purpose.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Also does the ultimate package look absolutely not worth $99

E: 2017 Ford GT :buddy:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 5, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Also does the ultimate package look absolutely not worth $99

E: 2017 Ford GT :buddy:

It includes the car pass, so it includes like a year worth of DLC for free. also the VIP bonuses, and you get it a few days earlier. The car pass alone is going to be $50, so you're already $10 better off with the ultimate if you were going to be getting the car pass anyway.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've gotten all the DLC for the last 3 forzas and never felt ripped off. Ultimate for me

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

GutBomb posted:

It includes the car pass, so it includes like a year worth of DLC for free. also the VIP bonuses, and you get it a few days earlier. The car pass alone is going to be $50, so you're already $10 better off with the ultimate if you were going to be getting the car pass anyway.

I dug a bit deeper. Looks great. Why does this look so much better than Forza 5? Jesus. I love it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I dug a bit deeper. Looks great. Why does this look so much better than Forza 5? Jesus. I love it.

Same reason forza 4 is better than forza 2. I knew as soon as they didn't have to produce a launch title with preproduction hardware they would knock it out of the park

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Same reason forza 4 is better than forza 2. I knew as soon as they didn't have to produce a launch title with preproduction hardware they would knock it out of the park

I'm too psyched. I wish early access was a bit earlier than five days. otherwise I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There is a whole lot of cars there that are straight from Forza 2/3/4.

I sincerely hope they are going to use new models instead of the lovely old ones that have been rehashing since 2.

The 22B STI in particular.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Laserface posted:

There is a whole lot of cars there that are straight from Forza 2/3/4.

I sincerely hope they are going to use new models instead of the lovely old ones that have been rehashing since 2.

The 22B STI in particular.

I'd love better R32 and SW20 models as well, but :laffo: if you think they will do this.

I think some of the models might actually be from Forza 1.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bunch of new cars announced. I am so jazzed for that Volvo Polestar.
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_garage_week_2

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That Volvo Polestar should be fun.

Also pretty cool: 2014 Nissan Juke Nismo RS

And then there's the Bowler and the Willy's Jeep that were in Horizon 2. Car list is coming together quite nicely. Lots of good stuff in there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also pretty cool: 2014 Nissan Juke Nismo RS

Forza 6's Spada

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it may be gimmicky but upgrading the fh2 willys jeep to s class is hilarious and fun

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I'm excited for 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 since I didn't buy that DLC in FH2.

And the new Corvette.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the c7 is in f5 though

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

ethanol posted:

the c7 is in f5 though

As DLC that I didn't buy.... I think?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

WienerDog posted:

As DLC that I didn't buy.... I think?

that might be true, can't remember

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yes, the 2014 Chevrolet Stingray was in the Bondurant Pack DLC in FM5.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Crowds are 3D this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYImduzOl4

Bunch of other new videos,

Ford GT and other info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmpzCtKJZs

How they add new cars to the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb7LPGE-B78

How they built the weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEHfi4TgkA

How they've improved Drivatars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twI0RSVwnR0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

Crowds are 3D this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYImduzOl4

Bunch of other new videos,

Ford GT and other info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmpzCtKJZs

How they add new cars to the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb7LPGE-B78

How they built the weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEHfi4TgkA

How they've improved Drivatars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twI0RSVwnR0