Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm going Malick for this sale, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line

I picked up Days of Heaven during the last sale, its a beautiful transfer. I might go Badlands this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

I picked up Days of Heaven during the last sale, its a beautiful transfer. I might go Badlands this time.

You know I've never actually seen Badlands. Is it anywhere near the same level visually as Days of Heaven? The visuals are what I love most about Malik's work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
When does this sale end? There's usually another around thanksgiving, right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Basebf555 posted:

You know I've never actually seen Badlands. Is it anywhere near the same level visually as Days of Heaven? The visuals are what I love most about Malik's work.

It is not. Not to say that there aren't beautiful shots, but it definitely does not have the same visual flair as Days of Heaven. Still very much worth picking up though, and it's weird to see a Malick movie with some semblance of narrative structure.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I didn't buy anything last time and I have an actual job now, so I decided to buy a couple extra this time.

I bought (all blind) Hidden Fortress (to round out my Kurosawas), Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspision, Walkabout and Thief.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

GonSmithe posted:

I bought (all blind) Hidden Fortress (to round out my Kurosawas), Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspision, Walkabout and Thief.

Oh man, you are in for a good stretch there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would say that Hidden Fortress is the most Kurosawa of all Kurosawa films, except that I just saw High and Low for the first time recently so I found out the guy had a lot more tricks in his bag than I ever realized. I should probably just say gently caress it and go through his entire filmography one by one at this point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

High & Low is great though I can't help but get the impression that the second half of the film, barring the fantastic final scene, is kind of just a retread of the investigation in Stray Dog. Luckily Stray Dog is a great film, so there are much worse grounds to be going over again I guess.

Anyways I picked up Kagemusha and Badlands today. I haven't seen either before but I love Kurosawa and Malick.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of the Kurosawa Criterions are excellent and worth owning. I have some issues with Kagemusha I guess but it's still very good.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Starting off this sale with Eraserhead, Love Streams, 3 Ozu Silent Crime Dramas, Le Silence de la Mer, Videodrome, and La Vie de Boheme.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Think I'm going with Make way for Tomorrow, Days of Heaven, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence and either Thief or Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. In the past I have bought Blu Rays I watch once and don't touch again, I'm trying to avoid that this time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Some of my favorite Criterions:

-Anything Seijun Suzuki
-Taste of Cherry
-Badlands (but I have Thin Red Line to watch)
-The Killing
-House
-Anything Kurosawa (I'm a sucker for 50s-70s Japanese cinema)
-Breathless
-The Organizer
-Harlan County, USA
-Repo Man

Left me cold:
-Any of the westerns
-Things to Come (interesting but unenjoyable)
-Anything Wes Anderson

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm thinking on The Blob, or When Horror Came to Shochiku, which I've heard isn't super great but calls to me.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 8, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm thinking on The Blob, or When Horror Came to Shochiku, which I've heard isn't super great but calls to me.

Do you have Nikkatsu Noir? If not, get that.

I like the Koreyoshi Kurahara set too.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 8, 2015

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I'd also recommend Oshima's Outlaw Sixties. Incredibly interesting but lesser known movies from Nagisa Oshima after he formed the Art Theatre Guild.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Probably going to grab Watership Down, Royal Tenenbaums, Repo Man, Fritz Lang's M, and maybe Rushmore. What are the must haves again?

Come And See fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 30, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Probably going to grab Watership Down, Royal Tenenbaums, Repo Man, Fritz Lang's M, and maybe Rushmore. What are the must haves again?

I think Moonrise Kingdom is the best Anderson, but man, "must have" Criterions is a hard loving list to make.

#1 would be Seven Samurai, though, and I imagine that unless I restrict that list to one entry per director, Yojimbo and Rashomon would be there too.

Edit: Off the top of my head, though, In the Mood For Love, Jacques Tati Collection (Playtime and Mon Oncle in particular), M, Solaris, Modern Times, and Badlands is a pretty wide selection.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 8, 2015

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anonymous Robot posted:

When Horror Came to Shochiku is very much a series of schlocky B-horror movies, don't think of them otherwise.

Gonna be a smaller haul for me this year because of increasingly bad exchange rates :canada:

So far I'm set on Ride the Pink Horse and Don't Look Now. Gonna be hard to limit myself to two though, if I can't settle on a blind buy then I'll probably upgrade Branded to Kill.

What do people think is the superior film, Time Bandits or Fisher King? I loving love Brazil and also own Fear and Loathing but otherwise can't claim to be the biggest Gilliam fan.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VoodooXT posted:

I'd also recommend Oshima's Outlaw Sixties. Incredibly interesting but lesser known movies from Nagisa Oshima after he formed the Art Theatre Guild.
Although the films in the Eclipse set were made after the ATG was founded, none of them were ATG films. Between 1961 and 1967 ATG was basically film society devoted to exhibiting non-Japanese arthouse films. The first ATG-produced film Oshima directed was Death by Hanging (1968), released about half a year after the latest film in the Eclipse set, Three Resurrected Drunkards (1968). All the films in the set were produced by Oshima's own production company, Sozosha, which co-produced most (all?) of Oshima's ATG films.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cacator posted:

What do people think is the superior film, Time Bandits or Fisher King? I loving love Brazil and also own Fear and Loathing but otherwise can't claim to be the biggest Gilliam fan.

Time Bandits. I've always felt Fisher King was saccharine and pretentious. Not really for me.

Time Bandits on the other hand is always fun. A creative novelty in every scene.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Holy poo poo, the Time Bandits disc comes with a foldout of the Supreme Being's map!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Woops, I confused Sōzōsha with the ATG. My bad.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Also a Criterion case having a lenticular cover probably qualifies as postmodernism.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do you already have Equinox?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Where can you check what's going out of print? I hear the America Lost and Found set is being phased out, but didn't have a source.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
GodDAMN The Thin Red Line is an absolutely gorgeous film. I saw it when I was a teenager but I just couldn't appreciate it then. It feels like a cross between David Lean and Stanley Kubrick, there was a tracking shot in there that felt like a definite homage to Paths of Glory.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

GrandpaPants posted:

I think Moonrise Kingdom is the best Anderson, but man, "must have" Criterions is a hard loving list to make.

#1 would be Seven Samurai, though, and I imagine that unless I restrict that list to one entry per director, Yojimbo and Rashomon would be there too.

Edit: Off the top of my head, though, In the Mood For Love, Jacques Tati Collection (Playtime and Mon Oncle in particular), M, Solaris, Modern Times, and Badlands is a pretty wide selection.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've added them to my list. :) Already have Solaris and the Tati set (so far I've only watched the first two, glad to hear the best are yet to come). I thought Moonrise Kingdom was fun but that Fantastic Mr. Fox and Grand Budapest Hotel were better. I'm sure I'll get around to buying it eventually, but I'd like to try out Andersons I haven't seen yet.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Dr.Caligari posted:

Do you already have Equinox?

Never heard of it, even.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Cacator posted:

When Horror Came to Shochiku is very much a series of schlocky B-horror movies, don't think of them otherwise.

Gonna be a smaller haul for me this year because of increasingly bad exchange rates :canada:

So far I'm set on Ride the Pink Horse and Don't Look Now. Gonna be hard to limit myself to two though, if I can't settle on a blind buy then I'll probably upgrade Branded to Kill.

Try the Cineplex Store they have a bunch of Criterion blurays at 30.99-33 CAD with free shipping/no tax, so it'll work out cheaper than BN. I was going to make a big order at BN :canada: then saw the exchange rate

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

Try the Cineplex Store they have a bunch of Criterion blurays at 30.99-33 CAD with free shipping/no tax, so it'll work out cheaper than BN. I was going to make a big order at BN :canada: then saw the exchange rate

Yeah I always forget about the cineplex store. I have ordered from them before but found it impossible to find anything. Plus you get scene points!

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

my current not-on-Hulu picks:

-Hiroshima Mon Amour
-Paths of Glory
-In the Mood for Love
-Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (blind buy)
-Love Streams (blind buy)

might also pick up the Cassavetes 'Five Films' box, or Shoah later in the month

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really wish Shoah was on Hulu because I desperately want to see it but I can't imagine its one of those films I'd want to watch every year like a lot of the other Criterions I own. I expect its a pretty draining experience.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Picked up Brazil, The Night of the Hunter and Black Narcissus, leaving Tales of Hoffman to be the only Powell/Pressburger I haven't picked up yet. Took it easy this time around as I have a fall vacation I'm saving up for and also anticipating that there may be some major Blu-ray and/or book purchases happening during the Amazon Prime sale next week.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just picked up House, videodrome, days of heaven, slacker and Pierre etaix. Gonna see what happens with that Amazon prime day, but if I don't end up getting much, I may go for time bandits, secret sunshine, mad mad mad world and the friends of eddie Coyle.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Cacator posted:

Yeah I always forget about the cineplex store. I have ordered from them before but found it impossible to find anything. Plus you get scene points!

They have the titles you listed :) I searched for ten different titles and they all had them in stock, couldn't find any of the boxsets though so if you're looking for boxsets BN it is. I'm going to hold off till Cinplex store does a sale or hope the dollar goes on par just for me come winter sale so I can pick up Dressed to Kill.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

They have the titles you listed :) I searched for ten different titles and they all had them in stock, couldn't find any of the boxsets though so if you're looking for boxsets BN it is. I'm going to hold off till Cinplex store does a sale or hope the dollar goes on par just for me come winter sale so I can pick up Dressed to Kill.

They do a Christmas sale if memory serves me correctly, but now that I'm looking at movies to buy I want them noooooooooooow

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Never heard of it, even.

Oh my, it's my favorite Criterion B-movie and just a movie I really like overall. The special effects are cool and the story is a blast. I recommend it.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A short list of my favorite Criterions...

Best Restorations/Remasters:
The Royal Tenenbaums (4K from camera negative!)
A Hard Day's Night (4K from camera negative and fine-grains, plus a 5.1 track supervised by Giles Martin)
The Red Shoes, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and Black Narcissus - Stunning Technicolor
Safety Last! - 2K right from Harold Lloyd's own nitrate print
The Gold Rush - 4K restoration of Chaplin's original 1925 cut, complete with 5.1 re-recording of his score. You haven't seen this film until you've seen the original cut.
The Complete Jacques Tati- 2K/4K restorations from original negative and prints. The new 4K for Playtime looks incredible.
City Lights (4K restoration is easily the best the film has ever looked and even the mono track sounds great)

Supplements:
The Complete Jacques Tati (Four alternate cuts, all of his short films in HD, and hours of documentaries.)
The Night of the Hunter (great 2K restoration from the camera negative, but it has a great commentary and a 2 1/2 hr making-of featuring outtakes)
Seven Samurai (2K restoration plus hours and hours of documentaries, interviews, and trailers)
A Hard Day's Night (Great supplements focusing on Richard Lester, plus The Running Jumping Standing Still Film in HD)

Lesser known, but worth trying:
F for Fake (Welles' last completed film is one of his best, plus the One Man Band documentary was remastered in HD)
Lonesome (wonderful forgotten silent/part-talkie with two bonus features by Paul Fejos.)
People On Sunday (Obscure, but fun German silent film directed by Robert Siodmak and Edgar J. Ulmer, with a scenario by Billy Wilder!)
Bigger Than Life (A great film by Nicholas Ray. Worth it if just for James Mason's great performance)
Lubitsch Musicals (Eclipse DVD, but absolutely charming films. The Love Parade is one of the funniest movies I've seen)
The Killing (A lesser known Kubrick, but one of his best. Plus it has his second feature Killer's Kiss as an extra.)
Von Sternberg Silents (The Last Command is an absolute masterwork of cinema - might be getting a Blu upgrade, though)

I omitted The Third Man, Army of Shadows, and Le Cercle Rouge for obvious reasons (and to not rub salt in the wounds), but if you can track them down, they're absolutely essential.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus, apparently I ordered at the right time because everything except Citizen arrived in one day, without paying any extra for shipping.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

I omitted The Third Man, Army of Shadows, and Le Cercle Rouge for obvious reasons (and to not rub salt in the wounds), but if you can track them down, they're absolutely essential.

Once something's out of print, are you basically screwed into buying it used for hundreds of dollars online, or do they occasionally pop up at less-traveled video stores?

Not getting Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge when they were available is one of my biggest regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bullet3 posted:

Once something's out of print, are you basically screwed into buying it used for hundreds of dollars online, or do they occasionally pop up at less-traveled video stores?

Not getting Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge when they were available is one of my biggest regrets.

Sometimes. I bought The Third Man way before it went OOP since it was only $16 on Amazon, but picked up the other two only a few weeks before. I'm not parting with mine, but I did sell off Pierrot le Fou and The Man Who Fell to Earth for MSRP.

Given that Lionsgate doesn't give a gently caress about the StudioCanal library, I'd expect Criterion to get back the rights back almost immediately once the license runs out. Lionsgate stipulated the exclusivity, which is why Criterion had to take nearly all the StudioCanal titles out of print, even though they've only released The Third Man, Grand Illusion, and That Obscure Object of Desire so far. Even though UK/French releases of Peeping Tom, The Trial, The Tales of Hoffmann, Pierrot le Fou, Army of Shadows, and Le Cercle Rouge exist.

Although, I've read that Lionsgate's ports of Grand Illusion and Desire are excellent quality, since they're identical to the French editions.

(By the way, CF.org lists The Tales of Hoffmann as coming, so maybe StudioCanal is going to Criterion directly. They're also listing The Graduate as licensed, too)