Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

program666 posted:

Well DRM is the answer I guess. The actual question is why the hell would people defend such bullshit, or gloss over it.

Really it's because iTunes came along and popularized tags. Tags make much more sense for music, especially for something like Genre. Music hardly falls into just a a/b/c/d sort of organization. There's a lot more to it than that. Tags are clearly superior, are universally recognized, and make searching for things much much easier.

Bhodi posted:

Glancing at one of the directories and sorting by genre gives me:

Ambient
Ambient Electronica
Chill
Club
Dance
Techno
Electronic
Electronica
Drum & Bass
Freestyle
House
Progressive
Progressive House
New Age
Trance

Wait, so you have your collection organized by root folders based on musical genre? How do you decide if a song is "Electronic" vs "Electonica" but then that same some can't be House Music? I don't understand how you think tagging properly is inferior to your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was giving an example of why I organize by directory and why someone would; I'm saying the files are already id3 tagged as those genres, I could add some generic 'house' tag in google music (separate from id3 tags I assume?) but it's an extra step and I don't own a lot of these files, they're just shared amongst a friends group. Using google music would cut me off from all that

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

program666 posted:

Well DRM is the answer I guess. The actual question is why the hell would people defend such bullshit, or gloss over it.

Don't be ridiculous. It's because organizing music by tagging is objectively better than organizing by files and folders.

On the one hand if you've already got your music organized how you want it by directory and file name, I can certainly see not wanting to be assed with tagging stuff.

On the other hand, programs that make it easy to transfer the information from folder and file names into tags on your music exist, and since the world is moving in the direction of tag-based music organization, its going to be harder and harder to find solutions to your problems when you're using a directory structure to organize your music.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I know I'm just speculating but it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to just support directories, open source programs on a shoestring budget can do it. Tagging might be better but not just supporting or caching music offline on a proper directory tree is absurd to me and it's really bizarre seeing people talking like it's a completely unnecessary feature. It's about the worst case of "works for me" I've ever seen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

When you can just use mp3tag to transfer file (and directory name) into the metadata, why is this such a big issue

Just point it at your meticulously laid out file and naming structure and let it go

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Mods, change the thread name to

Bhodi posted:

go in and manually create a symlink into the sdcard directory. Stay tuned.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just realized that Google removed the Spoken Word/Standup genre filter from Play Music. That's a bummer, since I like to see what new comedy albums come out each week. (I guess I'm an edge case, since I actively follow comedy)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Mods, change the thread name to
It's seriously the weirdest thing. Pinning downloads the file but none of your other apps can easily get at it.

you also can't pin directories, only files

it's kind of absurd I have to download a third party tool to get the functionality of drive that you'd get with a desktop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bhodi posted:

It's seriously the weirdest thing. Pinning downloads the file but none of your other apps can easily get at it.

you also can't pin directories, only files

it's kind of absurd I have to download a third party tool to get the functionality of drive that you'd get with a desktop

It's not really that absurd since one is a phone and the other is a desktop computer.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

XIII posted:

I just realized that Google removed the Spoken Word/Standup genre filter from Play Music. That's a bummer, since I like to see what new comedy albums come out each week. (I guess I'm an edge case, since I actively follow comedy)

Are you sure? It's still there for me:
https://play.google.com/store/music/category/COMEDY_SPOKEN_WORD_OTHER?hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/music/category/STANDUP?hl=en

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In seriousness if you already got a robust directory structure it's mad easy to generate the proper tags out of that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, it's still there via the Play Store, so I can buy it, but I can't find it via Play Music, so I can stream it. I guess I can (and will) check the new releases via the Store, then jump into Music

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

XIII posted:

Yeah, it's still there via the Play Store, so I can buy it, but I can't find it via Play Music, so I can stream it. I guess I can (and will) check the new releases via the Store, then jump into Music

Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed they removed the Explore function in the last update, as I haven't really been streaming anything but my own uploaded music for a while and the occasional album that I just searched for.
How the hell do you browse anything else than the top chart now?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of music:
I was moving around files on my desktop, including my music albums. I pointed the Google Play Music Uploader to the new location and it had to "upload" all the files again (it looks like it just checked what was in the folder vs the cloud). For some reason, it gave me errors with three of the albums saying they were bought with a different Google account.

I have always had only one Google account. I did buy those three albums from Google Play Music, but I bought more than those three albums and, looking now, several others on the same date (I remember a huge sale when Google Play Music first debuted and I went a bit nuts). The files are still on my desktop and they still show up in the cloud.

Any idea what that was all about? It was just confusing. The Google Play Music Uploader is cryptic to me with its vague errors and warnings.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

uPen posted:

Beyondpod does speed modification and gapless playback for podcasts, you can get audiobooks to work in it but it's not what it's designed for. Music players aren't the best for audiobooks since they tend to start the song over from the beginning rather than saving how much progress you've made through a track.
I've been using BeyondPod for years however, I am beginning to get annoyed at how sparse their playlist editing options are... Or maybe I'm not aware of the options due to them being hidden? I want to make 2 or maybe even 4 playlists on different subjects (ie, news, goofy stuff, hunting/fishing/gardening, educational, etc..) but it seems like it just wants me to keep every single podcast in my "Smartplay" list, no matter how retarded it is about forcing me to listen to 6 month-backdated gardening and fishing shows, in between my twice-daily-updated news podcasts, etc..

Basically I'm tired of skipping an episode when I hit Autoplay and am not in the mood to immediately listen to it or lose it, and then realizing I have to get to a wifi point and re-download it when and if I do skip it. I don't want to change my episode retention rules, I just want more playlists. :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 8, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I have a specific directory organization that works for me and half my stuff doesn't have correct id3 tags. It's also half audiobooks which are organized differently than music and I don't want them lumped together.

I don't care about space used, I'm happy to pay google a few bucks a month to store my poo poo just in case my hard drive dies. But I'm storing all my media and pictures, I don't want to separate them out and curate an entire separate list through google music.

Why not just... clean up your ID3 tags? MusicBrainz Picard lets you automate the process and works extremely well. Or is this all a bunch of non-commercially released super obscure poo poo?

E: but, to try and directly address what you're asking for instead of just trying to force you to do something that seems more intuitive to the rest of us, VLC lets you just point it at any director(y/ies) you want and it'll scan them and add them to it. you can also use a file browser like Explorer (or its big brother, Root Explorer) and save a bookmark pointing to your mangled music directory and launch songs from there. Even if your music is buried deep in some the Drive folder or whatever, you should be able to navigate there, save it as a bookmark, and then have it readily accessible. You can probably even make a link on your launcher that'll take you right there.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 8, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Seriously though this is excellent for taking the info in your music folder structure and applying it to your files as tags: http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

You don't need to stop using a directory structure, but you can use this to make it so things that only deal with tags can get you most of that functionality.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Bhodi posted:

What are favorite standalone music players that scan directories other than a hardcoded /Music?
My favorite used to be shuttle. It's very solid and can also browse files/folders directly instead of using a database.

Plus it looks rather good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Basically I'm tired of skipping an episode when I hit Autoplay and am not in the mood to immediately listen to it or lose it, and then realizing I have to get to a wifi point and re-download it when and if I do skip it. I don't want to change my episode retention rules, I just want more playlists. :(

If you ever find a podcast app with actually good playlist support, shout from the rooftops because I have yet to find one. PocketCasts comes close except for the part where there's no option to leave stuff on a playlist after it's been played, at least that I could find. Which is a thing I want sometimes. Shut up, that's why.

I'm using Podcast Republic these days, which works, but that's about all I can say about it (there's a reason it's not in the thread title, I suspect).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doggcatcher works for me.

Playlists work great for me, but the auto-playlist is a bit strange if you're combining virtual feeds. Keep meaning to email the dev to fix it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Zom Aur posted:

My favorite used to be shuttle. It's very solid and can also browse files/folders directly instead of using a database.

Plus it looks rather good.

Used to be? What's your favorite now?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

docbeard posted:

If you ever find a podcast app with actually good playlist support, shout from the rooftops because I have yet to find one. PocketCasts comes close except for the part where there's no option to leave stuff on a playlist after it's been played, at least that I could find. Which is a thing I want sometimes. Shut up, that's why.

Pretty sure the "delete played episodes" setting is what you are looking for in pocketcasts. It's in the storage options menu under settings. Now if you want it to fully ignore whether something has been played, you can just use acast or whatever basic downloader/player program and have it allow visibility to media programs like Google Music and just play out of there because at that point you're treating it like a music album and not serially delivered episodic content.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Does anyone use Strava for running? I'm having a motherfucker of a time getting it to work on my Note 3. I'm not sure if its my phone or the app or the existential concept of location... basically it seems to only work as a stopwatch. Even when I'm using a custom route, it doesnt record me as having actually moved. 33 minutes, 0.00 miles. Something is seriously hosed up - when I log in to the Strava website from my laptop, it crashes chrome/firefox.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CaptainJuan posted:

Does anyone use Strava for running? I'm having a motherfucker of a time getting it to work on my Note 3. I'm not sure if its my phone or the app or the existential concept of location... basically it seems to only work as a stopwatch. Even when I'm using a custom route, it doesnt record me as having actually moved. 33 minutes, 0.00 miles. Something is seriously hosed up - when I log in to the Strava website from my laptop, it crashes chrome/firefox.

I tried strava but found it too annoying. I'm sticking with runtastic pro for now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CaptainJuan posted:

I found Runkeeper the best of the various apps when I cared about cardio. If you just want to get to running it's a couple clicks, and if you want to program in a structured program based on distances or times, you can do that too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is there a fitness app that can adequately record elevation as well?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Before lollipop when I connected to a wifi spot that required some browser log in, the default browser would pop up, I would enter the username/password it would save it and every time I had to log in again it would be saved and all I needed was to press a button. After upgrading from kitkat to lollipop there is some "Sign-in to network" screen that seems exclusive to this kind of operation and won't save any data at all, so I aways have to enter username and login. Is there a way to make it save this data like a usual browser would do? Better yet, is there any way to make it just connect without me having to interact with it at all?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

dik-dik posted:

Used to be? What's your favorite now?
I've emegrated my collection to google play music. The app isn't as good, but it's decent and works well enough.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FordPRefectLL posted:

Is there a fitness app that can adequately record elevation as well?

I wonder if this is a limitation on the phone GPS sensors. I've occasionally run Strava both on my phone and Garmin unit while going out for a ride and sometimes the difference in elevation is thousands of feet. Like 288 feet climbed versus 2800.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

program666 posted:

Before lollipop when I connected to a wifi spot that required some browser log in, the default browser would pop up, I would enter the username/password it would save it and every time I had to log in again it would be saved and all I needed was to press a button. After upgrading from kitkat to lollipop there is some "Sign-in to network" screen that seems exclusive to this kind of operation and won't save any data at all, so I aways have to enter username and login. Is there a way to make it save this data like a usual browser would do? Better yet, is there any way to make it just connect without me having to interact with it at all?

Ignore that screen and just open your default browser anyway? The sign-in screen is just something being fed to you by the access point you're connected to. You don't have to use whatever app your phone pops up to interact with it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

This isn't very helpful for your situation but my phone remembers all of my logins for these portals and all I have to do is tap the notification and it just appears, loads a page, disappears immediately and I'm good to go. Nexus 5 running M Preview (and it did the same thing on Lollipop).

What device?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Moto g 2nd gen. I figured it was probably just a problem with my device since I couldn't find anyone mentioning it on Google. Oh welp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Back to music players. Xbox Music, soon to be called Groove, will now play mp3s stored on OneDrive.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/9/8919505/xbox-music-for-ios-and-android-onedrive-stream

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seriously though this is excellent for taking the info in your music folder structure and applying it to your files as tags: http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

You don't need to stop using a directory structure, but you can use this to make it so things that only deal with tags can get you most of that functionality.

I got fishmech'd in a good way!

Final update:

I've abandoned the idea of pinning. I was able to use a program called "Drive Autosync" to copy specific folders. Works great and does what you'd expect.

I'm going through my library and tagging all files with the program above, which is by far the best tagging program I have ever seen. Once I get all my stuff tagged, I'll upload the max for the free google play and try it out and see how nice it is.

For local stuff I'm bouncing between play music, vlc, shuttle, beats, cloudplayer to see which one I like best; they're all pretty similar.

:toot:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Bhodi posted:

I'm going through my library and tagging all files with the program above, which is by far the best tagging program I have ever seen. Once I get all my stuff tagged, I'll upload the max for the free google play and try it out and see how nice it is.
Once you get going, it's way worth it. It's easy to sync stuff through google play music, my only complaint is that you can't sync a whole artist at once, just individual albums or playlists.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

Once you get going, it's way worth it. It's easy to sync stuff through google play music, my only complaint is that you can't sync a whole artist at once, just individual albums or playlists.

And I think someone here mentioned the playlists have a really low limit making the utility of that less than it should be.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

And I think someone here mentioned the playlists have a really low limit making the utility of that less than it should be.

I have a playlist with 179 songs. It's never given me any trouble.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Uthor posted:

I have a playlist with 179 songs. It's never given me any trouble.

Well if you're on the road a lot you need at least 400 songs in a playlist or else you might hear the same Cowboy Bebop song twice between stops.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Got one playlist to right above 500, so it's not that low at least. Although I rarely use playlists at all.

Either way, it takes some time to get going with it. I suppose it might be easier to create playlists for each artist on a computer and then sync the playlists to the device itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My recollection is that the playlist limit is 1000. I've certainly never gotten near it.

• Locked thread