Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
Colbert's bandleader has been announced. It will be Jon Batiste.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/06/04/stephen-colbert-announces-bandleader-for-the-late-show/412492/

Also of note in the press release:

quote:

THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT will be produced by The Late Show Inc., a CBS company

Looks like CBS created a production company for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chand0X posted:

Looks like CBS created a production company for it?

Unlike Letterman's show, CBS owns the new Late Show outright -- this is probably just a shell for tax purposes, etc.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chand0X posted:

Colbert's bandleader has been announced. It will be Jon Batiste.

This is gonna own so hard

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

New short Colbert video because why not.

7) KICK OXY!
8) GET OXY!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh man, Conan and Andy playing with the sound effects controller since the sound effects guy couldn't make it into work was fantastic :allears:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh man, Conan and Andy playing with the sound effects controller since the sound effects guy couldn't make it into work was fantastic :allears:
That was hysterical. I only wished he hadn't moved on so quickly from the fact that "baby's cry" was clearly someone screaming bloody murder.

Also it's a day late but I really liked the Tull Talks Tony's segment, where they forced Tull to (poorly) read TMZ-esque cue cards about broadway stuff. It had a classic Late Night feel to it, probably because they didn't overly explain the gag/premise.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The Letterman Youtube channel has made private virtually every clip it has up, there's only 34 videos up on there. If you didn't save your favourites, you're poo poo out of luck. Most of these 34 videos were uploaded at the same time, 3 months ago, and are mostly full interviews (and in one case, a nearly full episode.)

Thankfully there are fans picking up some of the slack and re-uploading clips. To pitch in and do my bit, I've uploaded my own copy of "MacArthur Park." There are a couple other uploads of this classic performance, but none in the glorious HD it so richly deserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSQDz-IkWY

CBS' Late Show site is still alive. Or, more accurately, on life support. All the video clips have been removed. The FAQ page is a relic from the 90s (for real, check out the "can I order a copy of the show" one for some real throwback nostalgia - and a corporation actually encouraging people to swap pirated copies of their shows, holy poo poo) and I just realized I soon won't be able to revisit it every couple years and get a few giggles, so here it is, preserved on SA.

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions
How do I E-mail Dave and others at the show?
Sadly, CBS has not yet set up internet service at the LATE SHOW offices. Until this happens (hopefully by mid-'09), your best bet is to send a telegram. However, you may e-mail David Letterman, Paul Shaffer or the LATE SHOW staff with questions or comments about the show and/or this website at LateShow@cbs.com.

What's Dave really like?
A number of people ask this question which is testimony to how life-like the Omega 386L Cyborg "Dave" truly is. All the credit must go to the talented, hard-working scientists at HLT Labs.

Does Dave, or anyone else for that matter, actually read our E-mail and other correspondence?
While Dave may not see every single letter sent to him, all letters addressed to him at LateShow@cbs.com are sent to his office for review. Each and every letter received via E-mail is read and passed along to the appropriate person(s) at the show. While some letter writers may get a personal response from a staffer, please know that due to the very large number of correspondence we receive, we cannot guarantee a response in every case.

I've got a Stupid Pet or Stupid Human Trick. How can I get picked for the show?
First, you really need to determine whether it's a pet or a human that's doing the trick. However, if it actually is a trick performed by a Human Pet, legal issues prevent us from presenting it.

You may e-mail our Stupid Tricks department. If your trick is safe and fun for all participants, fits our format and hasn't already been performed on the show, we will call you back should we be interested in using your trick.

Additionally, we regularly schedule Stupid Trick auditions in various cities around the country. Check out Pants News for current cities and dates.

What goes on during the commercials?
CBS earns revenue by selling airtime to advertisers. Good question!

I know of a "regular" person who would make a great guest for the show. How can I bring them to your attention?
The best way for a "regular" person to get on the show is to spend years becoming a fabulously successful actor, musician, athlete, or other kind of beloved celebrity.

"Human interest" guests fall basically into two categories: topical, and people with unusual hobbies, talents, or obsessions.

What we look for in a topical story varies widely. It can be anything from a lottery winner to a dog who steals his owner's truck. We have featured a nurse who saved her son's iguana by giving it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation; a 10-year-old boy who was home alone and punched out a burglar who was trying to break into his house; and the man who George Steinbrenner dubbed the "Number One Yankee Fan" because he waited on line 33 hours for play-off tickets.

What all of these stories have in common is that they are light-hearted stories with a happy ending. Hero stories are always welcome. Other human interest guests are people with unusual hobbies, talents, or acts. These are likable, outgoing individuals who do something extraordinary. Examples of this type of guest are the 105-year-old woman who wrote a horse handicapping column for the New York Post; the "Human Echo," a man who could repeat anything anyone said in 1/50th of a second; and a pool player and trick shot artist who could knock 90 balls into the pockets with one shot.

If you consider yourself to be one of these people, or if you know of someone who might make a great human interest guest, please e-mail our Human Interest Guest department. *Please do not send e-mails regarding music acts.

Paul Shaffer is the best thing on the show! In fact, he's the best thing on TV! Can you tell me more about him?
Paul is originally from Canada and has been with Dave since the NBC days. Before that, Paul was the bandleader on Saturday Night Live. In his free time, Paul enjoys sending anonymous questions to the LATE SHOW website.

I've heard that the LATE SHOW offers internship positions. How can I apply for one?
As the show is signing off on May 20, 2015 our internship program is concluding with the Spring 2015 semester. We are no longer accepting applications. Thank you for your interest in the Late Show with David Letterman.

I missed an episode of the LATE SHOW. Can I order a copy from the show?
Certainly. Just send us $20 and the date of the show you'd like. After months pass and no tape arrives, call us. We'll deny ever receiving your order.

Sorry, but we are unable to provide any videotape copies of previous episodes of the LATE SHOW. However, we suggest you visit the "alt.fan.letterman" Internet newsgroup and post a request for the specific show you need there. Chances are good that someone will see your message and be willing to provide you with a copy of their own tape.

How can I receive an autographed photo of Dave or Paul?
This is not possible, as both Dave and Paul believe that the camera steals one's soul. Curiously, this is not the case with video cameras.

If you would like to request an autographed photo of Dave, please fax your request to: Dave Autograph Request Attn: Susan Kolenovic 212-975-4734

For an autographed photo of Paul, please fax your request to: Paul Autograph Request 212-975-4734

Please allow several weeks for a reply.

How do I order LATE SHOW merchandise?
A variety of LATE SHOW novelty items such as hydraulic jacks, insole cushions, salt licks, and vacuum cleaner bags can often be found at your local "Job Lots" or "99 Cents" store.

More highbrow merchandise from the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN can be purchased from the official CBS Store.

How does Dave prepare for the show every day?
Prepare?

And finally, from the home office in Wahoo, Nebraska, is The Wahoo Gazette. A written summary of every night's show. A labour of love from Associate Producer Mike McIntee. Here's an excerpt from one of the final entries, Wednesday May 13.

quote:

Today's Late Show script cover was something I found on the internets. It was a flier to promote Paul Shaffer's appearance at The Corral at the Circle-In in Thunder Bay. Check it out.

Dave mean to guests? Like Julia said? No, I don't think so. I just think Dave expected his guests to bring something with them. He didn't like the guests to expect Dave to do all the work. The film studios would pay the celebrities millions to do their movies; the least they could do was put some effort in promoting it. I remember one guest came on the show at Late Night. The actor was too cool for effort. His just being there was enough. That was his thinking anyway. And this is the way I remember it. Could be right, could be mistaken, but this is the way I remember it. Dave was throwing open-ended questions at the guest who was returning serve with one-word answers. The guy was slumped down low in the chair with the mood of wanting to be anywhere but here. Dave tried to engage him, but the guest would barely even make eye contact. Dave leaned back a moment, took a pause, then shot the guest a viciously hysterical knockout punch that annihilated him. The guest was stunned but quickly straightened up in his seat; his eyes became focused and was now ready to play. But it was too late. He was gone in two minutes. Loved it. And I don't ever want to find that clip because it probably wasn't as devastating as I think it was. My memory is likely better than the reality.
The guest? Not now. Maybe someday.

Paul's name on the marquee . . . here's a little known story. "Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra" was added to the Late Show marquee some years ago. It was a nice gesture and more than worthy. The addition extended down 12-inches or so from the original. My brother-in-law does work for North Shore Neon. A North Shore Neon truck was seen last week in Pedestrian Theme songs where the truck was originally thought to be a fire truck and or a police emergency vehicle. So my brother-in-law asks me about the new addition to the marquee. He tells me proudly that his company put the sign up as asked, following the specs provided. BUT what wasn't considered is that additional 12-inches, maybe more, that additional 12-inches added to the marquee is now below the height of the large trucks that travel the streets of New York City. Many times a truck would pull up to the Late Show to drop off or pick up, and the trailer would hit the "Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra" portion of the marquee. My brother-in-law tells me he can't count the number of times North Shore Neon has had to come to the theater to repair the marquee.
May be true, may be not.
There's more great stuff at McIntee's blog, you'd do well to check it out.

https://mikemcintee.wordpress.com/

quote:

It’s starting to seem real.

It’s been two weeks since the final Late Show. It was a moment I had been kicking down the road for over a year, so even though it was the last show, the fact that I would be in the next day and the day after that eased the pain and allowed another kick of the can. On Thursday, the day after the final, I was busy all day packing and taping boxes and making last-second trips to the end of the hall to see what other staffers were throwing out. I ended up with a lot more CDs than I expected. When my daughters saw all the CDs, they told me no one uses CDs anymore. I know that’s true for albums, but CDs? I’m afraid I’m never going to catch up.

I could have finished all I had to do on Thursday but, why? I dragged my feet to make sure I’d have to come in another day. The mood on Friday? It seemed like the last day of college. People were heading for home at different times with goodbyes aplenty and I realizing that it would be my turn eventually. And I kept putting it off, kept delaying my departure because when I said “goodbye” there would be no more road for me to kick the can.

On Friday to kill time in the morning, I scraped off the nameplates by each door and placed it on the desk chairs. The nameplate would be something many would want but forget to take. I took a couple trips to the stage to see the demolishing progressing much faster than anyone expected. It was sad so I didn’t remain for long. I walked the halls and realized I was one of the last ones still in the building even though it was just past noon. It felt like the last day of college; it felt like the final episode of M*A*S*H*. We were all leaving in all different directions to place all across the country; the future for almost all still unknown. Every half hour or so I would take another box to the car but I was in no hurry. And then with nothing left to beg, borrow, or steal, I took the last box from my office in my arms. I looked left, I looked right. There was no one else to say goodbye to. It was just me. Mommy!

Down on the street I found a staffer still milling about. He had a big stack of stuff piled in front of the building and looking to get home. On the top of the pile was a lampshade. As I am known to do at the end of many parties, I took the lampshade and put it on my head, then danced a little dance. It was funny and sad, just like me at the end of most parties. I put my last box in the car and I headed for home. So this was it . . . . but . . . . the Late Show is usually off leading into Memorial Day and off the following, too. I could pretend this wasn’t really the end. I could pretend another week. There was more road to kick the can.

It’s now a week later. I get up mornings and still listen to the traffic report on the radio over coffee. I smile when it leads with the George Washington Bridge.

I’ve watched some of the late night talks shows, and like dating relationships, I find I don’t like games.

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 16, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Executive Producer Barbara Gaines wrote a great piece for HuffPo last week.

quote:

Toward the end of Late Night I was in a recurring segment called "How's the Weather?" Dave would riffle through a phone book and I would randomly point at a number and then we'd call a stranger and ask "How's the weather?" We did this when we had nothing else and it only worked a third of the time. The last time we tried it no one was answering so we called my mother in Pompano Beach and she asked Dave if I was wearing my father's sweater. Before he could could answer, she said I wore his clothes because I was fat. "Put her on a diet Dave!" That ended random calling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di4eSP87nN4&t=338s

She details the creation of the ending montage, which was a more than 2-year effort.

quote:

Two or even three years ago, before Dave announced his retirement, Dave and I talked about how, when the day came, we would need a montage to end the show. So we hired a big shot to work on it. I was happy to give it to an outside professional since I figured he'd have a different "take" on us, something fresh and interesting. And of course there's always that self-hating hope that someone else will make something more special than the misfits.

So all this time he had been working. I didn't give it a thought until Dave actually announced. I asked to see it, and well... it was clear he didn't get us. I never showed it to Dave. Dave decided to trust my opinion (after a half dozen people agreed with me) and said, "So what are we going to do now?" I said, "I'd like to try it." He looked at me and said, "You?" Granted, my job at the show had never been a creative one. I edited every night but I took things out, I didn't piece them together. I said, "Yes. Me. Give me a couple of months. If I see I can't do it, I'll hand it over to a writer."

So, on a Friday last October, I went into the edit room with Associate Director Randi Grossack and Senior Editor Mark Spada and started cutting. We called it "The GRIM project" for Gaines, Randi and Mark. One Friday after we started, I was speaking to Dave on the phone and I said something about using a Joaquin Phoenix bite and he said "I thought we talked about this being stills?" and I said "What? No? I must have.... Oh no." So back to the drawing board Randi, Mark and I went.
7 months and more than 20 revisions later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUKOtbVnV4M

Had to upload my own video, again

Seriously go read the rest, if you enjoyed the montage at all whatsoever.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Geoff is getting a show - kind of!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Gep_hAP3A

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Colbert is channeling his inner Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVC3qYGYiE

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeeeeeeesh.

Cancelled in six weeks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Toxx it then.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

Toxx it then.

You seriously gonna defend those ten minutes of rambling and warmed over jokes from 2012? That's the first thing Colbert's produced in six months and its dreadful. If that's the level of comedy we can expect from his talk show, dude is going to flop. Hard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Irish Joe posted:

You seriously gonna defend those ten minutes of rambling and warmed over jokes from 2012? That's the first thing Colbert's produced in six months and its dreadful. If that's the level of comedy we can expect from his talk show, dude is going to flop. Hard.

So it was a good parody of the actual announcement from Trump?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Stop arguing with Irish Joe.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
The Trump thing was bad but way better than the beard bit which is literally one of the worst things I've ever watched in my life so maybe by September he can manage to actually be funny again?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
He's clearly catering to a different audience than The Colbert Report. I think they might be going after the Leno demographic.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Irish Joe posted:

I got about a minute and a half in and realized the whole thing is almost 7 minutes long with no scene change and I just had to stop. I remain relatively optimistic and will reserve judgement until the actual show is on the air, but nothing I have seen so far is instilling hope.

On the flipside, for all we know these videos could just be some intentionally bad, ironic, "joke-is-on-us" kind of thing. That's comedy these days, I guess, but that poo poo is equally as exhausting to me (maybe even more at this point, where it is no longer new or original).

I'd like to think that the videos are just riffing/writing/improv/rehearsal sessions that are really not meant for the public eye but some a-hole executive is forcing out to try and compete with the Fallon/Corden youtube demo. Although, if that's the case then things still may not bode well.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 18, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pwn posted:

The Letterman Youtube channel has made private virtually every clip it has up, there's only 34 videos up on there. If you didn't save your favourites, you're poo poo out of luck. Most of these 34 videos were uploaded at the same time, 3 months ago, and are mostly full interviews (and in one case, a nearly full episode.)

This happened because Letterman/Worldwide Pants owns the series and CBS no longer has rights to it. Hopefully Dave licenses it to Comedy Central or something for rebroadcast - I remember watching Late Night reruns on E!, and that was how I was first exposed to Letterman as a kid.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight, Conan made Marshawn Lynch's dreams come true by giving him an endzone filled with Skittles for him to dive backwards into. He did, and then Conan dove in after him. It was glorious.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tonight, Conan made Marshawn Lynch's dreams come true by giving him an endzone filled with Skittles for him to dive backwards into. He did, and then Conan dove in after him. It was glorious.
http://time.com/3941216/marshawn-lynch-skittles-conan/

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

As part of his training, Colbert is getting some experience where he can get it.

Including a suburban Michigan public access channel.

With special guest Eminem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPlMM_aSn4

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

If Colbert's late-night persona is just basically the same smug rear end he was on The Colbert Report with just less political ranting, it will be a lot of fun.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Someone gotta make sure to let us know when Paul Rudd is gonna be on Conan to promote Ant-Man.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Jimmy Fallon needs to stop injuring his hands/fingers in horrific ways.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Was the guy who did Wikibear the guy who left Conan for Colbert a while back? Cuz that's a goddamn loving tragedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Someone gotta make sure to let us know when Paul Rudd is gonna be on Conan to promote Ant-Man.

It's too bad Marvel isn't at Comic-Con this year or I'm sure he'd be on this week.

Pulling the old clip joke in front of a Comic-Con crowd expecting Ant-Man would be great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frostwerks posted:

Was the guy who did Wikibear the guy who left Conan for Colbert a while back? Cuz that's a goddamn loving tragedy.
Mmhmm :smith:

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Frostwerks posted:

Yeah, that was Brian Stack. So unless they recast, I doubt we'll see Wikibear again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-comic-con-mad-max?playlist=x%3BeyJ0eXBlIjoiZXRhZyIsImlkIjo4OTAzMX0

Conan's intro to his Comic-Con show is goddamn incredible

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah that was loving amazing and one of the funniest things I've seen them do in a while.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
His set from comic-con is a thing of beauty. Really drives home how bad his regular set is due for a makeover.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 14, 2015

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

From kotaku comment section:

CaptainQuirk fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AisLe6GLbTk

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holy poo poo conan is killing it at comic-con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvziaMDoDyc

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jennifer Lawrence is a national treasure at age 24.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Letterman popped up during a Steve Martin/Martin Short show in San Antonio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfuXYh-BFoc

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvziaMDoDyc

I clicked this and somehow ended up watching about two hours of old Conan clips like Arnold via satellite and Triumph at the Star Wars premiere. An evening well spent. :allears:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

My only disappointment was that the "secret film" was not Ant-Man.

I wanted more Rudd v. Conan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Paul Rudd's on this Thursday at least.