Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRe45lr9D0

They really were the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

better that than a beautifully rusty trombone

speak for yourself

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Joe Morgan single handedly drove me away from watching baseball on ESPN. I appreciate it though because it meant I started watching more soccer.

Kruk is worse than Joe Morgan. :xd:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

A very telling article about how ESPN and Fox are cutting costs due to the still-increasing rights fees to events:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/exp..._medium=twitter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vertical Lime posted:

A very telling article about how ESPN and Fox are cutting costs due to the still-increasing rights fees to events:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/exp..._medium=twitter
I never thought FS1 was going to be able to compete with ESPN to begin with, but this just reinforces that.

Although I do find it ironic that the success of the networks themselves has lead to it becoming even more expensive to pay for live content.

This will only get worse as more people drop cable and regular TV shows become less and less tied down to networks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox's intro for the Women's World Cup was one of the most creative and cool things I've seen in some time

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Presented without comment

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That was very cool.

Thanks

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:golfclap:

Very nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Neil Best ✔@sportswatch
Between 8:45 and 9 ET, 31% of US homes in major markets with a TV in use were watching women's soccer on Fox.
11:12 AM - 6 Jul 2015

drat :stare:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Some more perspective:

2015: USA-Japan WWC final: 15.2
2015 NBA Finals game 6: 15.9
2015: NHL SCF gm 6: 5.6
2014 World Series gm 7: 15.2

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel
To put that Women's World Cup 15.2 overnight rating in perspective, the two College Football Playoff semis got 15.3 & 15.5.

And all this doesn't include the Telemundo numbers

e: Officially Fox got 25.4 million viewers :stare:

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 6, 2015

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hockey's number is hilarious

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:patriot:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wonder what those numbers would have been if Japan scored two goals in the first 5 minutes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NPR posted:

The U.S. women's national team is basking in the glow of the new FIFA World Cup trophy they claimed with an emphatic 5-2 win over Japan on Sunday. Led by Carli Lloyd's three first-half goals, the win touched off celebrations and drew a huge TV audience, according to Fox.

"It is the highest metered market rating ever for a soccer game in the U.S. on a single network," the company says.

While some 17 million American viewers tuned in to the 7 p.m. ET start of Sunday's game, that number quickly grew to 21.86 million an hour later — and reached 22.86 million at 8:30 p.m. ET, according to preliminary data from industry website TV Media Insights.

4+ million joined upon realization that the US was beating the brakes off Japan, good lord.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And then about 8 million more joined in

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 2h2 hours ago
The U.S.-Japan Women's World Cup final peaked at 30.9 million viewers between 8:30-8:45 PM ET.

:911:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ungratek posted:

Hockey's number is hilarious

:smith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well this didn't take long

James Andrew Miller
‏@JimMiller

The second @KeithOlbermann era at @espn has come to a close. There will be no new contract. Current deal which was two years ends 7/31.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So at this rate does he start his own thing since he's burned bridges with everyone?

I could see MSNBC try to hire him back since they're desperate, but, you know.

e:

quote:

ESPN's statement on @keitholbermann:

"Keith is a tremendous talent who has consistently done timely, entertaining and thought-provoking work since returning to ESPN. While the show's content was distinctive and extremely high quality, we ultimately made a business decision to move in another direction. We wish Keith nothing but the best and trust that his skill and ability will lead him to another promising endeavor."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on the articles I've been seeing recently, this is probably less about Olbermann himself and more that he costs too much money for ESPN right now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on the articles I've been seeing recently, this is probably less about Olbermann himself and more that he costs too much money for ESPN right now.

Yeah. Was about to say the same thing. The licensing fees are getting a bit absurd but at the same time, all the leagues probably think they can sell directly to fans and they aren't totally wrong.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bob Costas was right

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Adam Schefter decided it was an absolutely fabulous idea to post Jason Pierre-Paul's medical records online for all the world to see.

ESPN legal is probably making GBS threads bricks right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Retail Slave posted:

Adam Schefter decided it was an absolutely fabulous idea to post Jason Pierre-Paul's medical records online for all the world to see.

It's immoral and scummy but ESPN isn't subject to HIPAA laws as I understand things (after reading a tiny bit about it, obviously not a lawyer or anything).

e: I should explain that a little bit. By my understanding HIPAA is supposedly only interested in medical providers or downstream entities, which ESPN is not. JPP could still find some reason to sue if he wanted to I'm sure, but the HIPAA thing everyone is worried about was the biggest hammer and doesn't seem to apply.

This is all assuming it wasn't JPP's people who leaked this, which is one of the theories floating around right now.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 9, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Retail Slave posted:

Someone in the NFL thread was saying about something in the CBA means you sort of waive your HIPAA rights...but I feel like that is impossible and also bullshit. But who knows.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Yeah. Was about to say the same thing. The licensing fees are getting a bit absurd but at the same time, all the leagues probably think they can sell directly to fans and they aren't totally wrong.
To a certain extent yes but there is a tipping point when consumers will push back and say "No, I'm done paying more and more each month solely because of sports." ESPN's rights to the leagues they air is what is sendimg KO out on his rear end this time around. It's all about money and the Mouse is tightening it's purse and weathering the storm. ESPN could just make every cable subscriber in the land pony up $8/month to cover, but now that many cable cos are offering skinny cable tiers that leave ESPN out entirely the Mouse knows drat well they are on a very short leash with subscribers as it is. Especially those subscribers like Granny Gums that hasn't watched a sporting event since the Brooklyn Dodgers played.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 9, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Grittybeard posted:

It's immoral and scummy but ESPN isn't subject to HIPAA laws as I understand things (after reading a tiny bit about it, obviously not a lawyer or anything).

e: I should explain that a little bit. By my understanding HIPAA is supposedly only interested in medical providers or downstream entities, which ESPN is not. JPP could still find some reason to sue if he wanted to I'm sure, but the HIPAA thing everyone is worried about was the biggest hammer and doesn't seem to apply.

This is all assuming it wasn't JPP's people who leaked this, which is one of the theories floating around right now.

If ESPN did indeed leak it and they're immune from HIPAA laws, then some hospital is on the hook for letting the info get out.

Either way he gets a huge settlement.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Robnoxious posted:

To a certain extent yes but there is a tipping point when consumers will push back and say "No, I'm done paying more and more each month solely because of sports." ESPN's rights to the leagues they air is what is sendimg KO out on his rear end this time around. It's all about money and the Mouse is tightening it's purse and weathering the storm. ESPN could just make every cable subscriber in the land pony up $8/month to cover, but now that many cable cos are offering skinny cable tiers that leave ESPN out entirely the Mouse knows drat well they are on a very short leash with subscribers as it is. Especially those subscribers like Granny Gums that hasn't watched a sporting event since the Brooklyn Dodgers played.

I think you're arguing a different point? Unless I'm reading this wrong.

I'm saying that all the major leagues in North America offer a direct buy opportunity for consumers even if you don't have cable or satellite. And with blackout rules seemingly on their way out (sooner rather than later) it is becoming viable for a fan of say, the NBA to simply buy League Pass and enjoy watching it through a Roku box or their PS4 rather than signing up for a cable/satellite service.

ESPN has a lot of leverage but at the same time I have to imagine their worried as hell that everyone (the leagues) will just offer direct service.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Retail Slave posted:

If ESPN did indeed leak it and they're immune from HIPAA laws, then some hospital is on the hook for letting the info get out.

Either way he gets a huge settlement.

Oh yeah the hospital's probably screwed, even if JPP leaked it himself and doesn't sue there will probably be a bunch of staff that get canned because they could have been responsible and looked at his information without a specific need to.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

I think you're arguing a different point? Unless I'm reading this wrong.

I'm saying that all the major leagues in North America offer a direct buy opportunity for consumers even if you don't have cable or satellite. And with blackout rules seemingly on their way out (sooner rather than later) it is becoming viable for a fan of say, the NBA to simply buy League Pass and enjoy watching it through a Roku box or their PS4 rather than signing up for a cable/satellite service.
Oh, I totally understand your point about a direct to consumer service. But as it stands those services make up a small but dedicated following. Cable is still king and will be for the foreseeable future.

The services offered by the NFL and MLB and even NHL are set up for diehard fans of those leagues. The average sports watching Joe doesn't have time nor the money to pony up that kind of bread for a league they may only casually watch.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bob Costas was right

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Robnoxious posted:

Oh, I totally understand your point about a direct to consumer service. But as it stands those services make up a small but dedicated following. Cable is still king and will be for the foreseeable future.

The services offered by the NFL and MLB and even NHL are set up for diehard fans of those leagues. The average sports watching Joe doesn't have time nor the money to pony up that kind of bread for a league they may only casually watch.

Ah I gotcha. You're certainly right, but I think the amount of people starting to cut the cord so to speak is growing. Anecdotally I know that a person like my dad would probably pay direct to watch NFL games if it all games eventually went to cable as opposed to over the air on a couple big networks.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Anecdotally I know that a person like my dad would probably pay direct to watch NFL games if it all games eventually went to cable as opposed to over the air on a couple big networks.
Right, the NFL has an edge in that you are really only buying into 17 weeks versus the 84 or so games of NBA or NHL and the 140+ games in the MLB.

In comparison to the NFL, buying into NBA/NHL/MLB is major commitment.
One I don't see the average guy buying into.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Agree completely. However for lots of fans of their respective teams who live in different markets it mostly comes down to how much disposable income one actually has. For example my friend is only a very very casual MLB fan, specifically the twins. He bought the MLB TV package because 80 dollars really isn't poo poo and then if he ever wants to catch a game he has the option and now he just has a random game on when he works from home. Obviously a very specific test case, but I think out of market fans, especially of smaller market teams who won't get many national games it can be a real blessing that still ends up being cheaper than purchasing the super deep cable/sat. package.

Granted, we're pretty much agreeing here, but I think the next 3-5 years will be very interesting in terms of how the respective leagues work on their streaming options.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I keep forgetting her name, but whoever is covering the NBA free agent talks for Sportscenter is not quite ready to be on camera. She stutters/stammers quite a bit, and then repeats lines because she's not sure what to say. Since I tend to watch SC for like the same 10 minutes every morning, and they tend to have segments on around the same times, I get to see her fumble every day.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

A story here on how badly ESPN is bleeding due to chord cutting:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/espn-tightens-its-belt-as-pressure-on-it-mounts-1436485852

3.2 million subscribers lost in the past year alone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Vertical Lime posted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/espn-tightens-its-belt-as-pressure-on-it-mounts-1436485852

Can't read it without a WSJ account.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

This is true of cable in general but they're still in a better position than basically every other network because they still have the rights to broadcast the one thing people still go out of their way to watch live.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deadspin posted:

The ESPY Awards–a celebration of ESPN’s ability to celebrate celebrities—are being handed out tonight as ESPN takes advantage of the lull in the U.S. sports schedule. We’ve already had one memorable moment, even though the official ceremony has yet to begin. On the red carpet, MMA star Ronda Rousey was given her “Best Fighter” ESPY, a category that included Rousey, Floyd Mayweather, Donald Cerrone, Terence Crawford and Gennady Golovkin. (Although apparently voting is still live? We’re not sure how Rousey already got her award.)

Upon receiving her trophy, Rousey absolutely ethered serial woman beater Floyd Mayweather, looking into the camera and saying, “I wonder how Floyd feels being beat by a woman for once.”

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
:vince: