Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
iirc the way the Au Ra are designed is:

Females: Waifu material to appease to the Japanese playerbase who wants to play as innocent girls who they must protect

Males: Beefcakes to appease the testosterone filled American playerbase who have wish fulfillment fantasies of being big muscular men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Leal posted:

Females: Waifu material to appease to the Japanese playerbase who wants to play as innocent girls who they must protect

Males: Beefcakes to appease the testosterone filled American playerbase who have wish fulfillment fantasies of being big muscular men.

Isn't that every online game, though? I remember seeing a bunch of nude Night Elf ladies doing nothing but dancing in the noob area when I tried WoW.

The lesson here is never play an MMO

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leal posted:

what about those of us that can't get off unless we can see the chiseled, sweat-glistened curve of an orcish buttock? checkmate, plebean

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

skyrim has horse vagina mods

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

im pooping! posted:

skyrim has horse vagina mods

this is the "thing dragging this game down" thread

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got Rain from PS+ this month, and the way it explains its mechanics puts me right off it from the very beginning. It's a simple basic mechanic - you're only visible in the omnipresent rain, and you can hide from monsters in dry places, under roofs and such. The game carefully breaks that up into tiny little facets and explains each in a super generic storytime tone. All it does is remind me of the many good games that "explain" their mechanics through letting you play them, and it tells me Rain isn't like those games.

Now that I think about it, it's kind of like Braid, which I liked a lot but had the same story tone going on. But then, you realized quickly Braid had more complex gameplay than "stand under roof."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What would you do if you were a nude Night Elf lady? I wager you'd do the same.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Trying Crysis 2 for the first time and it just feels really weird. It's like it wants to be stealthy, but the massive open areas, constant brightness, enemies that will gang up and destroy you in seconds just destroy it. I can't even enjoy it as a straight shooter because the weapons feel really weak and lame. The whole game is just...off in a weird way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When I first played Red Dead Redemption I was like "I don't know what the big deal is about the Mexico part, it's alright." Now I'm replaying it though and man. It really isn't. For all the reasons anyone's ever stated, pretty much, but plus, the developers really love that loving train they came up with, they love it so much that there are two or three missions that just revolve around protecting the train, and they all dump you in the rear end-end of nowhere.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It's really the worst train, but as far as R* goes, trains aren't their strong suit. The only exception is GTA 4, where the train is actually really, really good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say their worst train is in GTA: San Andreas, if you can follow what I am saying and know what I'm shooting for.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

im pooping! posted:

It's really the worst train, but as far as R* goes, trains aren't their strong suit. The only exception is GTA 4, where the train is actually really, really good.

By GTA 4, I assume you mean the very first mission of TBoGT, which was indeed completely awesome.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd say their worst train is in GTA: San Andreas, if you can follow what I am saying and know what I'm shooting for.

All you had to do was follow the drat train, Mierenneuker

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The only slightly weird thing about the GTA 4 train is that you can lose it during a chase.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Byzantine posted:

To be fair, why would you play a fantasy game with different races and pick Human..sorry, Hyur?

Depends on the game. Goons have reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Trying Crysis 2 for the first time and it just feels really weird. It's like it wants to be stealthy, but the massive open areas, constant brightness, enemies that will gang up and destroy you in seconds just destroy it. I can't even enjoy it as a straight shooter because the weapons feel really weak and lame. The whole game is just...off in a weird way.

Yeah Crysis 2 is just a complete trainwreck compared to Crysis 1. They ruined all the things that made the gameplay fun and unique and then they hosed up the PC settings and features because they focused on console. :psyduck: The multi was at least okay?

3 isn't a ton better but now there's a bow :downs:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I always play humans because other races are always magical special snowflakes and humans just want to wreck poo poo

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

SA also had the best trains

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just played through Witcher 3 and it felt so... empty. There are plenty of quests and whatever else, but I didn't really feel like there was anything worthwhile in the whole game. Just stabbing some samey goblin things and helping some samey villagers with their goblin problems.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Have you tried Gwent?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Crysis 2 is just a complete trainwreck compared to Crysis 1. They ruined all the things that made the gameplay fun and unique and then they hosed up the PC settings and features because they focused on console. :psyduck: The multi was at least okay?

3 isn't a ton better but now there's a bow :downs:

I read some quick things about the story and said "gently caress that". How do you gently caress up the plot of a shooter so much that I don't want to play it? Also, the best parts of that game were before the alien bullshit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

I read some quick things about the story and said "gently caress that". How do you gently caress up the plot of a shooter so much that I don't want to play it? Also, the best parts of that game were before the alien bullshit.

The best way I could put it is that it feels like someone saw the start of Half Life 2 and went "poo poo, let's add some stealth and visor mechanics to this!". It's the same sort of oppressive government/alien thing but it's so badly implemented.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Farcry 3 was closer to Crysis 1 than Crysis 2 was.

And don't forget how extremely terrible Crysis 2's performance and features were compared to Crysis 1. The first game to this date is one of the best looking FPS games ever made. When it came out it pushed almost everybody's machine to the limits and then some. There were dozens of detailed settings to eek out the best performance you could get. And the game had awesome features like being able to shoot through trees and knock them down, something most modern FPS in 2015 still don't do. Even Farcry isn't as good at being able to cut up plants.

But then Crysis 2? It was targeted at consoles. The PC options, I poo poo you not, were thus: "Gamer", "Enthusiast", and "Hardcore".

That's it. No model settings. No texture settings. No AA settings. No shadow settings. No tessellation settings. Just THREE PRESETS. How do you gently caress up THAT badly? WHAT DO THOSE EVEN MEAN? Is Gamer higher settings than Enthusiast or not? I guess Hardcore is the top, but... what the gently caress.

I think they eventually patched in options but it took them like 6 months.

And then everybody started picking the game apart and found out it did all kinds of things massively inefficiently. The tessellation was just bolted-on towards the end of development and so wasn't properly configured, some website showed proof that the game's ocean water would extend across the entire map under the ground, and if you turn on tessellation it tessellates ALL the water constantly under the entire map even though you literally NEVER EVEN SEE IT.

But the biggest complaint is just that its boring. Its really really boring.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Byzantine posted:

To be fair, why would you play a fantasy game with different races and pick Human..sorry, Hyur?

It might not count since it's not really 'fantasy', but I quite like that Dragon Ball Xenoverse gave human create-a-characters a niche beyond 'the average middlepoint'. While they are the standard stats-wise, they regenerate ki inherently, so they're the race best suited for just spamming the poo poo out of special attacks. Their specials might not be the strongest, but they're definitely the most numerous.

...Well, until Saiyans get access to infinite ki through going super. But it just wouldn't be a Dragon Ball game if Saiyans didn't overshadow the everloving gently caress out of everyone else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

But then Crysis 2? It was targeted at consoles. The PC options, I poo poo you not, were thus: "Gamer", "Enthusiast", and "Hardcore".

What if you self-identified as a casual? What then Crytek?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Not just for men - they tested a few races with people and the women who played wanted to play cute girls or guys who can be pretty boys. The males actually have really tiny brought in waists with huge thigh ingame compared to any other race. It's basically another case of what happened to Nier, they made something pretty bitching and badass but they thought no one in japan would play it if it had cool, older looking people in it. I mean, look at the original ideas they had for the female ones!

The curse of designs meant for mass appeal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Not just for men - they tested a few races with people and the women who played wanted to play cute girls or guys who can be pretty boys. The males actually have really tiny brought in waists with huge thigh ingame compared to any other race. It's basically another case of what happened to Nier, they made something pretty bitching and badass but they thought no one in japan would play it if it had cool, older looking people in it. I mean, look at the original ideas they had for the female ones!

The curse of designs meant for mass appeal.

drat, the in-game Au Ra are pretty lame and may as well not exist (its just humans or elves with horns on their faces. They're like Darth Maul's race without the tattoos)

But those concept art shots look loving sweet.

Focus testing is RUINING video-games.

With the exception of Roeggadyn ALL the existing races are already cute girls and prettyboys. Some variety would be nice! FFXI at least had Galka. Roeggadyn are just Galka watered down and made more human. Lalafel are the only real unique looking race.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lalafel are hilarious because they're basically akihiko yoshida's chibi character designs (like in the Final Fantasy 3 DS remake) brought into a world that has regular-rear end people in it

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, the in-game Au Ra are pretty lame and may as well not exist (its just humans or elves with horns on their faces. They're like Darth Maul's race without the tattoos)

But those concept art shots look loving sweet.

With the exception of Roeggadyn ALL the existing races are already cute girls and prettyboys. Some variety would be nice! FFXI at least had Galka. Roeggadyn are just Galka watered down and made more human. Lalafel are the only real unique looking race.

Someday we might have these ones, so there's still hope.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah just look at what a critical, financial, and popular failure FFXIV is.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah just look at what a critical, financial, and popular failure FFXIV is.

It only took them a second attempt to get it right!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mierenneuker posted:

It only took them a second attempt to get it right!

Which was based almost entirely off of player feedback from the disastrous first launch, which makes it even more asinine.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can't get enough of ffxiv right now. Is there a list of why 1.0 was so bad?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Calaveron posted:

God where to begin.

Zones were just cookie cutter puzzle pieces repeated over and over and over stamped across the land. You wouldn't recognize them from in-game today.

Imugr isn't working right now but look at this: http://www.ffxivinfo.com/images/maps/ffxiv-maps-the-black-shroud.jpg

Combat was boring, quests were some awkward disaster where you went in town and got cards and then went to a specific zone and did repetitive things over and over and then went back and turned in your cards and got new ones. You got no direction really, the game just dumped you to your home city and you wandered around picking up card-quests to just kill dudes in an area or whatever.

The combat was much slower and boring and there was much less to do. The whole world just seemed super bland and boring. The story was practically nonexistent compared to now. You had stamina and TP and they regenerated really slowly, and after you leveled for awhile you'd get fatigued and gain XP at a slower rate.

And it ran like rear end.

Oh and the UI was a complete disaster, a bunch of confusing nested menus on top of menus on top of menus that didn't work, poo poo like that.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm mad at FFXIV because they made a game so loving bad they said "hold on everybody, we're really sorry, here, here let us fix it. We're so sorry about that other game. Please give us another chance." but when I apply for a free trial they say gently caress you, beta tester, you already had yours.

Yeah, and it was dogshit. You're saying the game is better now. If anyone needs proof you fixed your poo poo before buying it's beta testers of the game you rebooted because it was incredibly un-fun horse poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I'm mad at FFXIV because they made a game so loving bad they said "hold on everybody, we're really sorry, here, here let us fix it. We're so sorry about that other game. Please give us another chance." but when I apply for a free trial they say gently caress you, beta tester, you already had yours.

Yeah, and it was dogshit. You're saying the game is better now. If anyone needs proof you fixed your poo poo before buying it's beta testers of the game you rebooted because it was incredibly un-fun horse poo poo.

Can't you just create a different account or use a different email or something?

Pro tip, if you have a gmail address it ignores all periods in the address when receiving mail, but most websites will treat it as a unique address.

So if you already have an account as johnsmith@gmail.com you can sign up as john.smith@gmail.com or j.ohnsmith@gmail.com or j.o.h.n.smith@gmail.com or so on. They'll all come to your inbox but sites treat them like they're unique.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

God where to begin.

Zones were just cookie cutter puzzle pieces repeated over and over and over stamped across the land. You wouldn't recognize them from in-game today.

Imugr isn't working right now but look at this: http://www.ffxivinfo.com/images/maps/ffxiv-maps-the-black-shroud.jpg

Combat was boring, quests were some awkward disaster where you went in town and got cards and then went to a specific zone and did repetitive things over and over and then went back and turned in your cards and got new ones. You got no direction really, the game just dumped you to your home city and you wandered around picking up card-quests to just kill dudes in an area or whatever.

The combat was much slower and boring and there was much less to do. The whole world just seemed super bland and boring. The story was practically nonexistent compared to now. You had stamina and TP and they regenerated really slowly, and after you leveled for awhile you'd get fatigued and gain XP at a slower rate.

And it ran like rear end.

Oh and the UI was a complete disaster, a bunch of confusing nested menus on top of menus on top of menus that didn't work, poo poo like that.

Also basic environmental objects like barrels and crates containing as many polygons as player characters, or cursor movement being all server-side.

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Jul 9, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Huh. I can't tell if I should take the .'s out of my resume email or if it helps.
If I ever get another free trial I'll give it a go but whatever.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zaphod42 posted:

Can't you just create a different account or use a different email or something?

Pro tip, if you have a gmail address it ignores all periods in the address when receiving mail, but most websites will treat it as a unique address.

So if you already have an account as johnsmith@gmail.com you can sign up as john.smith@gmail.com or j.ohnsmith@gmail.com or j.o.h.n.smith@gmail.com or so on. They'll all come to your inbox but sites treat them like they're unique.

Same thing with johnsmith+@gmail.com, johnsmith++@gmail.com and so on and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Basically everything was hosed but what stood out the most to me was how slow it was to navigate menus and manipulate your inventory. Here's a video of a guy taking 2 and a half minutes to sell 20 items from his inventory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaGvRv6jqw