Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As someone who has never played a shmup, why is it a troll to say Treasure is good, like I posted earlier. I know it riles ppl up but what's bad about treasure games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

these are games id liek to play but never do

good news game.r. dodonpachi, doonpachi daioujou, battle greggory, gunbird 2, and meny others are availabel for free on mame

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

As someone who has never played a shmup, why is it a troll to say Treasure is good, like I posted earlier. I know it riles ppl up but what's bad about treasure games

it'd be like someone whose first figting game is killer instinct (xbone) popping into a thread about 3rd strike and sayimg how good ki is

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ikaruga is a brown crummby looking game for one thing. the scoring system is really bad even worse than dodonpachi chaining which i don't really like but hell whatever. it also has old hori style environmental obstacles and bosses that look like crap. radient silvergun has a frigging exp grind and looks like poo poo and it's on saturn.

gradius v is fine i guess if you want to play a gradius game (gradius gaiden on psx is better tho). their best games are platformers and poo poo.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAO6akjqdg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

it'd be like someone whose first figting game is killer instinct (xbone) popping into a thread about 3rd strike and sayimg how good ki is

this is a good analogy and I understand now. Sorry for trolling the shmup thread, the only treasure game I've played us sin and punishment but it's not even close to a shmup

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

play mischeif makers shake shae

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

People always post this re: ikaruga like it means something other than "I don't get Ikaruga"

It's pretty good and deserves the (good and bad) attention it gets.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

People always post this re: ikaruga like it means something other than "I don't get Ikaruga"

stfu

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
I'm the guy who buys it every time they port it to a new system

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

it stinksks.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i only played a demo of the first level and hated its gimmicky bullshit, i guess most shmups are gimmicky but the gimmick was bad

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

the only good toho is fairy wars because i like the bullet freezing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mah name is Cirno!!!! Eyem teh strongest!!!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

if you want to talk about toho go to badgame or jp and talk about how you want to lick their feet there

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Stravinsky posted:

if you want to talk about toho go to badgame or jp and talk about how you want to lick their feet there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSI1QsIo8g

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Stravinsky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblYnGhv1Qk

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Stravinsky posted:

im working on 1cc esp ra.de and its kicking my rear end

Who are you using?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

SM64Guy posted:

i got to the final boss of dodonpachi a few times but could never seal the deal, the only other shmup ive been to the final boss in is mushihime-sama futari

Bomb spammed the last boss in DDP. You have to do what you have to do.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Agag posted:

Bomb spammed the last boss in DDP. You have to do what you have to do.

i always got there by the skin of my teeth except one time when i got there with like three bombs and a life left and promptly died and didnt have enough bombs left with my last life

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Agag posted:

Who are you using?

jb 5 aka the one with the wide shot. im taking a break and playing samurai aces today.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

i have never reached the final boss in ddp, assuming you mean the real final boss (second loop)

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Stravinsky posted:

i have never reached the final boss in ddp, assuming you mean the real final boss (second loop)

DDP is a lot easier if you just play for survival rather than trying to keep your chains going and milking all the bosses. I used to follow a few hi-score forums, which discouraged my from trying to get high scores because those guys are god-tier. So I just play for the 1CC.

Stravinsky posted:

jb 5 aka the one with the wide shot. im taking a break and playing samurai aces today.

A lot of the top scores on shmups forum are set with JB5th, but I think the top one right now is Yasuke. Anyway I use JB5th too. Wide shot takes out the popcorn to you can worry about dodging/setting up your splatter shot.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

i meant the first loop lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the accepted nomenclature is true last boss ,

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Agag posted:

A lot of the top scores on shmups forum are set with JB5th, but I think the top one right now is Yasuke. Anyway I use JB5th too. Wide shot takes out the popcorn to you can worry about dodging/setting up your splatter shot.

im not playing for score because of the out of control boss milking that is super boring

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

milking with the weak splat shot in esprade looks really bad an d i like 2 milk in garegga :henget:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

SM64Guy posted:

i meant the first loop lol

Getting through the first loop of DDP was a big step for me playing shmups (I'm still garbage, but anyway). The approach I read about, which turned out to work, is to focus on no-missing the first three stages. If you can manage that you have enough lives, plus the extend, to bombspam your way through every trouble spot for the rest of the game.

Stravinsky posted:

im not playing for score because of the out of control boss milking that is super boring

Delicious boss milk. Not worth the effort.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Try playing Ikaruga Tyrian and UN Squadron OP and everyone else. Those are the good shmups. Lol cya

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

ikaruga is a brown crummby looking game for one thing. the scoring system is really bad even worse than dodonpachi chaining which i don't really like but hell whatever. it also has old hori style environmental obstacles and bosses that look like crap. radient silvergun has a frigging exp grind and looks like poo poo and it's on saturn.

gradius v is fine i guess if you want to play a gradius game (gradius gaiden on psx is better tho). their best games are platformers and poo poo.

Oh I see the Ikaruga hater losers fags have already infected the thread. Courtesy gas.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I had a dream about a shmup the other day it was a really weird one where it was 2d but you could go up and down and crash into things. Doesn't seem like a good idea for a shmup frankly and even my dream self noticed it.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Ragg posted:

I had a dream about a shmup the other day it was a really weird one where it was 2d but you could go up and down and crash into things. Doesn't seem like a good idea for a shmup frankly and even my dream self noticed it.

No that's Bump n' Jump.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I want a game that's like that one cop shmup by Irem but good.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I also want a sequel to In The Hunt, that game is so good.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

there is one like that.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ragg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUxB3vVWvo

it's this game. your ship is invincible when it hits the ground and some enemeis and you bounce arun and get points. this guy isn't doing it and pissing me off since you should always be crashing intothe ground and enemies to milk points.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Great Joe posted:

I also want a sequel to In The Hunt, that game is so good.

In The Hunt is good but insanely hard because I can't dodge anything in the fat wobbly submarine.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUxB3vVWvo

it's this game. your ship is invincible when it hits the ground and some enemeis and you bounce arun and get points. this guy isn't doing it and pissing me off since you should always be crashing intothe ground and enemies to milk points.

This was like a weird isometric perspective game or some poo poo. I think? Maybe it was a top down hori or something weird like that. Anyway Thats cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what is a good shmup on PSX or PS2, now that I own a old ps2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
xanak x xanak

• Locked thread