Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Thanks dude. It's not an easy course if you don't keep it in the fairway, regardless of the tees. It's one of those courses where I can honestly say it "fits my eye." Except for number 15 (dogleg left par 5 with an overhanging tree to deal with if you play a fade off the tee), I'm comfortable with every tee shot on the course. I got a few lucky bounces on some drives, but the fairways are generally wide open, and everything just kinda clicked on the back nine. I've been thinning my approach shots, so once I started flushing my irons, I got my confidence back.

My speed on the greens definitely kept me in it. I didn't have any par putts longer than 2 feet in my second round, so that helped keep me going.

Family stuff came up, so I'm gonna skip the dogfight tomorrow. But, I'm gonna try to play a pretty great (and super windy) course in Galveston Wednesday if the weather holds off. If I can still hit the ball this well, I might even break par there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Lately I've been having some problems with my 4 Hybrid, normally one of my favorite clubs. I marked a few balls with a Dry Erase marker (this leaves a nice mark on the club) and I've hitting it off the toe. I tried moving the ball closer to my body, and it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Lately I've been having some problems with my 4 Hybrid, normally one of my favorite clubs. I marked a few balls with a Dry Erase marker (this leaves a nice mark on the club) and I've hitting it off the toe. I tried moving the ball closer to my body, and it didn't help.

Any ideas?
You're probably coming over the top and/or casting. Search YouTube for drills to work on it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nice 66 Kameh! Although I'm quite disappointed with the 30 putts, I expect better ;)

But seriously wtf, 100% Greens and Fairways?!

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Hell of a round, Kameh. Playing a shorter-than-normal distance for yourself is a great way to get comfortable with scoring. I wish I could post 66s from any set of tees. Plus 6150 yards isn't easy-mode by any means.

Halo14 posted:

Good tips on Putting!

I'll add that for alignment on the medium to long putts you should be looking at the last few feet around the hole. Where does the ball need to be in this last section so that it ends up close to or in the hole as it rolls out? Pick that spot and work your way back.

Quoting this because the last page had a bunch of good putting advice. Technique is crucial, but Halo's description here is how you take your well-practiced putting stroke to the course without overthinking form. When I can visualize how the ball needs to enter the hole my putter gets way hotter. Putting the ball (hot pun) on an intended line instead of trying to make a "perfect stroke" is a much more effective approach for me. Once you're on the course it's all about results.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Fitter/coach sent me a video this morning, for a drill to keep working on getting my weight shift in the right order. Gonna get to the range tonight and try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJdwqW4KL0

jatrain
Jun 24, 2013

Paul Proteus posted:

At age 27, i had never picked up a golf club before and just started some group golf lessons about four weeks ago. I was given a hand me down set of irons/hybrids that are in good condition, but I don't have a driver. It's a bit intimidating trying to figure out brands, lofts, etc but I think I've decided what to go with. That said, I have no idea what to pick for shaft flex. I don't swing well enough right now to judge it based on random online things I have read (distance with specific irons or other ideas), but I'd at least like to practice with it. Do you all have any idea what a beginner should start with?

At your age, as a beginner, I'd say there is a 90% chance that you need a regular flex shaft (generally a swing speed 85-95 mph). If you are swinging faster than that you'd probably benefit from slowing down until you have good swing mechanics anyway.

It'd be worth your time to stop in a Golfsmith, Galaxy, etc and jump on one of their monitors. Won't be a complete fitting but it will at least help you dial in your swing speed and ball spin to help determine a proper loft. Don't get caught up on brands, reviews etc. At this stage your swing is your limiting factor, not your equipment. Go hit a bunch of different drivers, find the one that "feels" the best to you (what ever that means to you) and then dial in the settings on the monitor. When on the course you need to like to hitting it. That'll give you confidence with it and you'll play better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Today is basically the worst work day for me. We fly out for Scotland tomorrow evening and I am like 95% checked out right now. I am so loving hyped.

Now seems as good a time as any to update yall on my thoughts on the Sun Mountain Clubglider. This thing has gone overseas with me, out to Hawai'i, out to California, down to Florida, and probably 3 or 4 other long distance trips I'm forgetting, on all manner of airlines. It has logged a metric buttload of miles.

I goddamn love this carrier. It will easily hold the Ogio Grom XX with all 14 clubs, 2 pairs of shoes, (and usually also some sandals or other clothes if I want to stash some dirty laundry in there on the way home) and rolls through airports and hotels very easily. Whoever came up with the idea of having a set of legs come out to hold the carrier up on a diagonal was brilliant and I hope they made a ton of money. I was hesitant at first about the bag not having a hard cap up top around the club heads, but this has gone thousands of miles now without any damage to anything inside. The interior restraining straps are still in fine shape, and the exterior straps, handles, and zippers are all still holding up strong. The legs that kick out from underneath are in great shape and all 4 wheels still glide just fine. Travelling with golf clubs is cumbersome, but goddamn it is so worth it to have your own sticks with you when you travel if you know you're going to get the chance to play. If you fly at all with your clubs, I cannot recommend it enough.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

DJExile posted:

Whoever came up with the idea of having a set of legs come out to hold the carrier up on a diagonal was brilliant and I hope they made a ton of money.

Funny you say that. It was a dude on Golf Channel's show in like 2007 called Fore Inventors Only, Gary Sherrell. My dad had some random friend of a friend of a colleague connection to the guy and he got me a job in high school at his club outside Seattle cleaning cranky old guys' clubs and carts. I think he made a killing.

Good luck being productive today.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rory confirmed he's out for the Open Championship. The Jordan Spieth Reign of Terror continues!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
What goes up must come down.

After my really good round Monday, I played a round at a different but still familiar course this morning.

Broke my streak of consecutive fairways and greens on the 4th (missed fairway right) and 5th (missed green short right) holes. On a blustery day, I hIt 11 fairways and only 10 greens. Didn't strike it too badly, but I didn't play the wind as well as I needed.

29 putts, 2 birdies against 4 bogeys to shoot a +2 74. Needing a birdie on the last to get back to even par, I hammered a drive to the exact yardage I wanted, then hit a perfect 8i over the flag...and to the back of the green. Since the pin was like 4 steps on, I could have stepped on a PW and gotten it closer. Despite the misclub, I still had an outside chance at a birdie until I took some unsolicited advice on speed. Three putted for bogey, considered jumping into the pond to end it all.

Welcome to golf, right?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Oh cool it seems people actually play golf in this thread. I have just started to pick the game up and today I will be out playing my third ever round. Any tips for beginners?? 🐣

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

corn in the fridge posted:

Oh cool it seems people actually play golf in this thread. I have just started to pick the game up and today I will be out playing my third ever round. Any tips for beginners?? 🐣
When you've hit double the par on a hole, pick up and move on to the next hole.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Don't try to swing as hard as you can, focus on where your weight is throughout your swing, and just try to make decent contact with the ball. Duffing/skulling shots inflate your score in a hurry.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh hey, the US Women's Open is now. Thu/Fri 2-7pm on Fox Sports 1 and Sat/Sun 2:30pm-7pm on Fox.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

If you get yourself in trouble, get back to the fairway instead of going for a hero shot.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

aehiilrs posted:

If you get yourself in trouble, get back to the fairway instead of going for a hero shot.

Though if there's nobody behind you...drop two and hit em both cause that's a great time to practice those shots :)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Don't ride a cart.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
thank you for all the suggestions. I did predictably really bad but I had good shots on all areas of the course at times so I just need lots and lots of practice to get the consistency down I feel. and my putting is apparently very good. All in all i had a great time and can't wait to go out again 🐙

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i did not ride a cart

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

i did not ride a cart

Thank gently caress for this.

Walking golfers unite! I play regularly with my club fitter and his friends, all of whom are easily 70+ years old, and they all walk. Not only do they walk, but they smoke my 30 year old rear end up and down the course :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You walkers need to come to Florida and try and do that poo poo. No one wants to walk in 95+ degree weather and 100% humidity. I said it before but I can't think of any course in the central Florida area that allows walkers.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

mattfl posted:

You walkers need to come to Florida and try and do that poo poo. No one wants to walk in 95+ degree weather and 100% humidity. I said it before but I can't think of any course in the central Florida area that allows walkers.

I did grad school at FSU carrying film equipment around for two years, and it was lovely, but doable with enough water and sun screen haha

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

mattfl posted:

Central Florida is it's own beast. On the coast in Southeast Florida is still nasty hot this time of the year but at least we get a consistent breeze. Same cart policy here though, there are a select few courses that allow walking. North Palm Beach Golf Course is my go-to course to walk. That said, after 4+ hours in 90 degree heat and humidity you're pretty gross.

I'd like to see 17-year-old Canadian Brooke Henderson take a run at the U.S. Women's Open. She got in a car accident a week ago. She didn't wuss out like Rory talking about a "long term view."

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
I'm coming to Boca Raton next week. I think there's a course near the hotel I'll be at. From Vegas heat to Florida heat.

Oh, and another beginner tip? Try to hit the lower right quadrant of the ball. You want to swing inside out. Hit down on the ball on your wedges and up on the ball on the drives.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just booked tee time for my dad and I sunday at Orange County National Crooked Cat. Man, it's probably one of my favorite courses in the area and $45 for unlimited play/range balls/lunch is a steal for that course.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

EnsGDT posted:

Thank gently caress for this.

Walking golfers unite! I play regularly with my club fitter and his friends, all of whom are easily 70+ years old, and they all walk. Not only do they walk, but they smoke my 30 year old rear end up and down the course :)

The course I was last at had a big ol' "NO WALKERS" sign. Also was backed up three groups deep at the first hole. Good times. (it was, in fact, good times)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Y'all.

https://instagram.com/_paige.renee/

I have many impure thoughts. At least one of them is jealousy. What a solid swing.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Kameh posted:

Y'all.

I have many impure thoughts. At least one of them is jealousy. What a solid swing.

Good lord.

Deathlove posted:

The course I was last at had a big ol' "NO WALKERS" sign.

Maybe they were just big Game of Thrones fans?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Kameh posted:

Y'all.

:drat: I'll be patiently waiting for instagram updates from her. :stwoon:

EnsGDT posted:

Good lord.

Maybe they were just big Game of Thrones fans?

Nice...

I don't walk this time of year in North Carolina either, it's 100 degrees almost daily even riding a cart is horrible some days. Just a gross hot breeze. Walking is for early spring and fall here which is oddly when most people play golf.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Normally this time of year its stupid hot and 100% humidity in central Ontario, but the jet stream being all hosed up has kept the average temp around 24 with low humidity and a consistent breeze to keep bugs to a minimum. Perfect golf weather for my first summer back at the sport. :q:

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Welp, found a good deal on some blades that fit me. Goodbye single digit handicap!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

aehiilrs posted:

Welp, found a good deal on some blades that fit me. Goodbye single digit handicap!

And hello.... + handicap?

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Nah I'll just meet my goal of being a 15 by the end of the year.

Canadians: Sportchek has a lot of stuff on clearance at decent prices at the moment. I'm not sure if this is everywhere, but it's worth checking out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

aehiilrs posted:

Nah I'll just meet my goal of being a 15 by the end of the year.

Canadians: Sportchek has a lot of stuff on clearance at decent prices at the moment. I'm not sure if this is everywhere, but it's worth checking out.

Theres one near me Ill have to go check tomorrow! Used to be easy to find good deals since there were a ton of golf stores here in the city back in the mid 2000s. I think only 2 survived which kind of sucks since I hate the idea of spending as much money as golf equipment does without ever testing it. :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/watch-this-player-hit-golf-balls-with-a-tennis-racket-at-the-u-s-womens-open

Clubface angle is important!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love how that writer treats it like something weird when that's a fairly common drill.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

I know I dropped ~4 shots from my handicap by getting rid of blades.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Played 9 yesterday as a practice after about 24 hours of travel. First full 18 today. Get the gently caress in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So jealous. All of the Scotland ads they show during Scottish Open coverage are driving me crazy, those courses all look spectacular.