Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just read all of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. What happens to the Hulk after that? Wikipedia jumps right from the end of WWH to him doing things with Skaar. How does he get out of that tank thing? All the Red Hulk business started after that right?

Also tell me some of your favorite Hulk stories. I've always been interested in the character, but have never read too much of his comics. I remember Banner being good, does that hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hulk #1 by Jeph Loeb. You can skip it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah, it goes right to Red Hulk.

Hulk: Gray I would consider the best version of Hulk's origin. All the main players are there (Banner, Betty, General Ross, and Rick Jones), and even Tony Stark shows up in his gold tin can armor. Tim Sale draws the poo poo out of the Hulk getting mad at a thunderstorm, and being oddly sweet towards Betty. I'm not much of a Hulk fan, but I'm a huge fan of that book.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah, it goes right to Red Hulk.

Hulk: Gray I would consider the best version of Hulk's origin. All the main players are there (Banner, Betty, General Ross, and Rick Jones), and even Tony Stark shows up in his gold tin can armor. Tim Sale draws the poo poo out of the Hulk getting mad at a thunderstorm, and being oddly sweet towards Betty. I'm not much of a Hulk fan, but I'm a huge fan of that book.

I love all the color books. Goddamn Jeph Loeb, just be that again.

I've seen people on BSS give Daredevil: Yellow and Spider-Man: Blue some poo poo pretty recently. Forget where. That's ridiculous to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You're in luck! Captain America: White is apparently actually coming out! Maybe!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Also tell me some of your favorite Hulk stories. I've always been interested in the character, but have never read too much of his comics.

Incredible Hulk #377. Sure, that's everybody's favourite but it deserves to be; it's the one where Doc Samson goes into his head and he merges the Grey and Savage Hulks with Banner's intellect.

I also dog Hulk #300, which is a Bill Mantlo story where he loses control and fights the Avengers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lurdiak posted:

Every time they make the Green Lanterns more like the military and less like space police, they suck a little harder.

It was really funny when Geoff Johns did a big morality play, inarguably his best Green Lantern work, about how terrible an idea militarizing the Lanterns is, then just shrugged, went ahead and did it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dan Didio posted:

It was really funny when Geoff Johns did a big morality play, inarguably his best Green Lantern work, about how terrible an idea militarizing the Lanterns is, then just shrugged, went ahead and did it.
I mean, on the one hand yes, but on the other hand space laser battles with like eight different colors of lasers is a powerful temptation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unmature posted:

Just read all of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. What happens to the Hulk after that? Wikipedia jumps right from the end of WWH to him doing things with Skaar. How does he get out of that tank thing? All the Red Hulk business started after that right?

Also tell me some of your favorite Hulk stories. I've always been interested in the character, but have never read too much of his comics. I remember Banner being good, does that hold up?

The inter-dimensional crossroads stories by Mantlo.

e: For single-issue story: the one with Mogol.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One of my favorite Hulk stories is a really stupid Avengers issue where Hulk is rampaging across a city and the Avengers get really pissed off and beat the poo poo out of him. I guess they were trying for a thing about how anger is destructive and all super-heroes could be as dangerous as Hulk if they were out of control, but it came across more like everyone's sick of big green baby's tantrums and kick his rear end.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

You're in luck! Captain America: White is apparently actually coming out! Maybe!
This seems like an unfortunate name considering Truth: Red, White & Black.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Y'know, I would think you'd include some of Truth if you were doing The Definitive Cap Origins, but I'm probably expecting too much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Y'know, I would think you'd include some of Truth if you were doing The Definitive Cap Origins, but I'm probably expecting too much.

Fun Fact: Truth is actually not a very good comic book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fun Fact: Truth is actually not a very good comic book.

Yeah, the idea is solid but the actual comic kinda sucks.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kyle Baker art means it can't be less than very good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

Kyle Baker art means it can't be less than very good.

Tell that to his story in Deadpool #900.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't he just start phoning it in with Poser art eventually?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. It was so bad.
I think he also ruined the ending to Merc with a Mouth, which I had been enjoying quite a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

He also sourced all his backgrounds from google image searches. It was embarassingly bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He also sourced all his backgrounds from google image searches. It was embarassingly bad.

But I'm told that's how all the pros do it!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

One of my favorite Hulk stories is a really stupid Avengers issue where Hulk is rampaging across a city and the Avengers get really pissed off and beat the poo poo out of him. I guess they were trying for a thing about how anger is destructive and all super-heroes could be as dangerous as Hulk if they were out of control, but it came across more like everyone's sick of big green baby's tantrums and kick his rear end.

Was that when Banner and the Hulk were separated, and things were just going downhill from both of the individual people?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

But I'm told that's how all the pros do it!

That's literally what Wally Wood would have done if he could have.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've never seen this alleged "bad Baker art" and so choose to believe that you're all funnin' me, cruelly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

I've never seen this alleged "bad Baker art" and so choose to believe that you're all funnin' me, cruelly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That's a parody of comic-book art and writing, right?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Can anyone tell me what the status of Alpha Flight is these days? Also, didn't Regina (and another Flight team) get destroyed a little while back?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Can anyone tell me what the status of Alpha Flight is these days? Also, didn't Regina (and another Flight team) get destroyed a little while back?

Alpha Flight got all killed when the spare energy from M-Day came back to earth and drove that one guy crazy. Then they got killed again at the beginning of Hickman's run, from Ex Nihilo's project.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think that looks neat :)

Speaking of bad backgrounds,
One of the lest few UXMs.

Hopefully there's a better editor on the Doctor Strange comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LMAO this is a thing that someone was paid for and actually published.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think that looks neat :)

Speaking of bad backgrounds,
One of the lest few UXMs.

Hopefully there's a better editor on the Doctor Strange comic.

He at least drew the foreground they're standing on. There was a Conan comic recently where all the artist drew was the figures standing on photos of vistas at odd angles because the angle the photos were taken in didn't match the angle that the characters were drawn at.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

LMAO this is a thing that someone was paid for and actually published.
Those aren't even from the same thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the second one kind of works. The first though, eww.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every comic background should be a photo collage, imo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Those aren't even from the same thing.

So it's TWO awful things that were paid for and published. Even worse!

I would actually rather look at Greg Land comics than that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

So it's TWO awful things that were paid for and published. Even worse!

I would actually rather look at Greg Land comics than that.

Let's not say things in the heat of the moment that we will regret and want to take back once we sober up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a dumb question by why isn't Namor blue?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

His dad was a honky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

He's half human.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

He has a great therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

prefect posted:

Let's not say things in the heat of the moment that we will regret and want to take back once we sober up.

He isn't wrong, though. The comic from that first page has the Deadpool Corps fight a bunch of CGI Carebears and it's the absolute worst.