Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can always open the hood. You just can't always close it again.

But do what everyone else said. Alternatively say gently caress it and see how long it goes on one oil change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hood opening tool:

Hood closing tool:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So my truck, 95 ford f150 with the 4.9 straight six, shows what I'd say to be 10 volts on the dash, but when I checked the terminal posts with a multimeter it showed 13 and some change while the truck was running. I called my friend to make sure I was doing it right (DC 20 selected, touch the positive lead to the positive terminal, ect).

So maybe I just suck at reading the dash gauge? The gauge is this one here and the needle is right on the "n" of normal. Surely that's not 13ish? I love my gauges, don't tell me they're poo poo :(

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

So my truck, 95 ford f150 with the 4.9 straight six, shows what I'd say to be 10 volts on the dash, but when I checked the terminal posts with a multimeter it showed 13 and some change while the truck was running. I called my friend to make sure I was doing it right (DC 20 selected, touch the positive lead to the positive terminal, ect).

So maybe I just suck at reading the dash gauge? The gauge is this one here and the needle is right on the "n" of normal. Surely that's not 13ish? I love my gauges, don't tell me they're poo poo :(

If it's like most Fords, it's more of an idiot light that LOOKS like a gauge, than an actual gauge.

The only precision you can count on it for is that it will generally show the same value for "normal" voltage. Not a CORRECT value, but a consistent one.

Oil pressure (if you have it) is the same. (My '00 Mustang is like this too.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, those gauges are mostly meaningless on the majority of cars and only serve to make people feel better/add perceived features and value.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SilentW posted:

~2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, 100K + on it. Last thing to be replaced was brakes, ~1 year ago.

Got in a fenderbender, now the hood won't open. Car was due for some maintenance (general engine checkover / oil change / etc.) before the accident, now I can't get it done unless I fix the hood, which a body shop quoted me 1200+ for. Parts alone is ~600, so I think they might be right.
The car is worth 1500 at absolute max on a trade-in... I should ditch this thing, shouldn't I?
The only problem is that it's my DD and I don't have anything else I can use. Spend 1200+ whatever else for peace of mind while shopping, or just cross fingers?

Do you have some special-snowflake paint color? You could probably get a junkyard hood for less than $600, it might not match perfectly but it also won't cost more than half of what the car is worth.

If you don't mind being a bit :rice: you could also get a hood panel from an aftermarket body part supplier for under $100 and a few cans of flat black/tractor paint.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nthing that it's probably an idiot light, but on the off chance it isn't, 13 is dead center between 8 and 18, so if that's where the needle sits that would be about right. 10 would be closer to the 8 than to the center of the gauge sweep.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, those gauges are mostly meaningless on the majority of cars and only serve to make people feel better/add perceived features and value.

I'd been told that about the oil pressure gauge right here in this forum; I think the story was something like they previously had so much trouble with low oil pressure readings that ford made even the most minimal of reading hit the "it's fine!!" spot on the gauge. I didn't want to think that inexactitude also applied to my other gauges. I get a stupid thrill out of looking at them.

Oh well, they DO seem consistent so I'll content myself with that. I still like that they're green, reminds me of an old jet hud (aping cold war military sophistication may be intentional. Alternately, only so many colors it could be).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SilentW posted:

~2000 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, 100K + on it. Last thing to be replaced was brakes, ~1 year ago.

Got in a fenderbender, now the hood won't open. Car was due for some maintenance (general engine checkover / oil change / etc.) before the accident, now I can't get it done unless I fix the hood, which a body shop quoted me 1200+ for. Parts alone is ~600, so I think they might be right.
The car is worth 1500 at absolute max on a trade-in... I should ditch this thing, shouldn't I?
The only problem is that it's my DD and I don't have anything else I can use. Spend 1200+ whatever else for peace of mind while shopping, or just cross fingers?

If you can't bash it out, find one in a junkyard and remove the hood. There's nothing to it, just a handful of bolts. You'll want another person to help though, it's heavy and you're removing the bolts that are keeping it from falling on you. It's a $1500 car, who cars if the paint doesn't match.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
BMW 7-Series, recent-but-not-current model.

Rear tires said "Inside" on the outside. That's bad right? Newish tires, plenty of tread, but the driver was having real trouble with traction.

Few months ago I saw a similar thing on a Mercedes roadster.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

H110Hawk posted:

BMW 7-Series, recent-but-not-current model.

Rear tires said "Inside" on the outside. That's bad right? Newish tires, plenty of tread, but the driver was having real trouble with traction.

Few months ago I saw a similar thing on a Mercedes roadster.

It would affect cornering, but asymmetric tires shouldn't affect acceleration or braking all that much just being on wrong; either way you're got one tire with "inside" facing right and one facing left. Should still be corrected, though.

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax
1966 Mustang

Previous owner painted over the chrome bumpers and some of the chrome trim. How can I remove the paint safely so I don't have to buy all new chrome? I'm not sure what kind of paint was used unfortunately

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hood opening tool:

Hood closing tool:

I love you guys. Thanks for the reality check :D
I'm getting a new car car soon, yeah, and I think I'll just sit on this one until I do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SD-455 posted:

1966 Mustang

Previous owner painted over the chrome bumpers and some of the chrome trim. How can I remove the paint safely so I don't have to buy all new chrome? I'm not sure what kind of paint was used unfortunately

Whatever the best answer ends up being, don't just replace it. Take it or send it to a shop that can replate it (do some research, but one place with a solid rep is Virginia Vettes). You KNOW your chrome pieces fit. Repros or old stock might not fit as well. These shops can probably take the paint off, too, but there's probably a better answer.

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax

Godholio posted:

Whatever the best answer ends up being, don't just replace it. Take it or send it to a shop that can replate it (do some research, but one place with a solid rep is Virginia Vettes). You KNOW your chrome pieces fit. Repros or old stock might not fit as well. These shops can probably take the paint off, too, but there's probably a better answer.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to save as many original pieces as possible, so I'm worried about using something too harsh. I've seen people suggest lacquer thinner, paint stripper, or oven cleaner so far

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd been told that about the oil pressure gauge right here in this forum; I think the story was something like they previously had so much trouble with low oil pressure readings that ford made even the most minimal of reading hit the "it's fine!!" spot on the gauge. I didn't want to think that inexactitude also applied to my other gauges. I get a stupid thrill out of looking at them.

Oh well, they DO seem consistent so I'll content myself with that. I still like that they're green, reminds me of an old jet hud (aping cold war military sophistication may be intentional. Alternately, only so many colors it could be).

Two wheeled anecdote: at one point Suzuki decided to put an oil temp gauge on their oil cooled sportsbike, the GSXR750. They deleted it the following year because of the number of people going to the dealer in a panic because it turns out oil gets really really really hot under normal operation.

SD-455 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to save as many original pieces as possible, so I'm worried about using something too harsh. I've seen people suggest lacquer thinner, paint stripper, or oven cleaner so far

Just use paint stripper or whatever. Solvents won't hurt the chrome, just avoid using any mechanical stripping method (sanding etc) and you'll be ok. There's a good chance the chrome is still mint and perfectly preserved because of the idiot PO!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ford gauges in general (except for temp) fall right to the middle if everything's fine. And yes, even the most minimal of oil pressure makes the oil pressure gauge jump to a hair above the middle on most of their vehicles with oil pressure "gauges". IIRC, on some of them you can swap the sending unit to get a real gauge, and on some models you do get an actual oil pressure gauge instead of an idiot light masquerading as a gauge.

A good way to witness this for yourself: rev the engine to, say, 2500 RPM, when it's warm. Or just drive it and pay attention to the gauges. If they're real, oil pressure should move up (significantly) with engine RPM, and oil pressure will be sky high (almost pegged) when the engine is cold, even at idle. Voltmeter should also move up/down as you signal, use the brakes (power for the brake lights), turn on lights, engine RPM, etc, instead of just sitting in the same spot. Your alternator puts out significantly less power at idle than it does at cruising RPM. Pretty much any car today with an actual voltmeter will heavily dampen it so that it doesn't twitch with every flash of the turn signals, but you'll still see a difference between, say, idling with your headlights on, and cruising at highway speeds.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 8, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
as long as none of it is chrome plated plastic I would start with acetone, it will probably work, is reasonably benign compared to many other painting solvents, and leaves zero residue.

(It might also be my favorite solvent ever. I use that stuff for drat near everything I can because it works and a little goes a long way.)

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax

Slavvy posted:

Just use paint stripper or whatever. Solvents won't hurt the chrome, just avoid using any mechanical stripping method (sanding etc) and you'll be ok. There's a good chance the chrome is still mint and perfectly preserved because of the idiot PO!

kastein posted:

as long as none of it is chrome plated plastic I would start with acetone, it will probably work, is reasonably benign compared to many other painting solvents, and leaves zero residue.

(It might also be my favorite solvent ever. I use that stuff for drat near everything I can because it works and a little goes a long way.)

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a try

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Enourmo posted:

It would affect cornering, but asymmetric tires shouldn't affect acceleration or braking all that much just being on wrong; either way you're got one tire with "inside" facing right and one facing left. Should still be corrected, though.

Thanks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well, I decided this was a problem that could live until after my trip, so I drove ~600 highway miles on it. At about 400, the check engine light came on. The car is noticeably down on power, and now it sounds like it's got rod knock. Of course nobody was open at 8pm on Sunday, so I said "I'll just drive until I window the block or start smelling funny things."

The "knock" only occurs under acceleration. Is this a collapsed lifter, and am I right about to ruin the engine, or can I drive to the auto parts store to get stuff to repair this? How about getting the stuff needed from a junkyard?

I doubt the engine has rod knock (not saying its possible, just unlikely).

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's possible the lifter is clacking because you have a trashed cam lobe. No way to know for sure until you break into the engine.

Unless the 3800 is some special beast, the lifter/roller is a single unit. If the lifter is all it is, you should be able to pull it and swap in another one if you just want to get it going. Could also be a broken rocker arm, broken valvespring, bent pushrod...

This.

Take off the valve covers and take a look.

http://www.thinkythings.org/3800/3800.html

this website has lots of shots of the motor, take a look at it, should give you some direction.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
I need advice from someone who is familiar with the Ford Triton 5.4.

I got Bank 1 done today w/ new plugs and coils (200k on obvious-original coils and mismatched plugs!), then it started to hail. Cyl 4 was the worst, but after getting that done, I've lost all drive to do the other side. Are there any tips or tricks to get the driver side done with slightly less bleeding and cursing? (2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No, there will be more bleeding and cursing, especially in the back (loving master cylinder and booster in the way).

I typically use some combination of a wobbler and u joint (yes, both at the same time on different length extensions) to get at the back ones.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Motronic posted:

No, there will be more bleeding and cursing, especially in the back (loving master cylinder and booster in the way).

I typically use some combination of a wobbler and u joint (yes, both at the same time on different length extensions) to get at the back ones.

I already did #4, though (or 8 depending on your internet resource, which I pray is lying because it threw another P0308 code when I decided to give it take it for more gas so I could figure out what else is wrong today). I've literally got a box full of wobbles, 3" extensions, 1/4" to 3/8" wrenches and actual parts for the truck. Several bandaged fingers, too. :gonk:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ford cylinders go 1-4 front to rear on the right (passenger's side in the US) bank, and 5-8 on the left. You haven't touched 8 yet.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Flo Cytometer posted:

I need advice from someone who is familiar with the Ford Triton 5.4.

I got Bank 1 done today w/ new plugs and coils (200k on obvious-original coils and mismatched plugs!), then it started to hail. Cyl 4 was the worst, but after getting that done, I've lost all drive to do the other side. Are there any tips or tricks to get the driver side done with slightly less bleeding and cursing? (2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer)
Loosen the engine mounts, lift the engine up.

And then be thankful you're doing it in an expedition and not a mustang. :q:

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Enourmo posted:

Ford cylinders go 1-4 front to rear on the right (passenger's side in the US) bank, and 5-8 on the left. You haven't touched 8 yet.

Yeah. I saw several different diagrams, like this poo poo:

NO, this was NOT stated as firing order, obviously..

Krakkles posted:

:sigh: If it was a Mustang, it may at least get out of its' own way. I enjoyed taking corners when driving it to get more gas, though (until I filled it). It had more body roll than Venus. drat that was amusing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

Spark plugs in a new edge? I just did them a few months ago, took less than an hour and all I had to do was take off the air intake.

Unless you're talking about the coils, then ok yeah I have no idea where those go to so maybe thats the hard part?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Spark plugs in a new edge? I just did them a few months ago, took less than an hour and all I had to do was take off the air intake.

Unless you're talking about the coils, then ok yeah I have no idea where those go to so maybe thats the hard part?
He's talking about the 5.4, which is significantly wider than the 4.6.

The coils are on top of the plugs and aren't hard - one 8mm bolt, pull, disconnect from harness.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

He's talking about the 5.4, which is significantly wider than the 4.6.

The coils are on top of the plugs and aren't hard - one 8mm bolt, pull, disconnect from harness.
Yeah but you said "you should be thankful you're not doing it in a mustang" so I just assumed you were talking about the mustang you own.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Yeah but you said "you should be thankful you're not doing it in a mustang" so I just assumed you were talking about the mustang you own.
I am :q:

My mustang doesn't have a 4.6L

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

I am :q:

My mustang doesn't have a 4.6L
Oh deng. Oops. Not easy in a 3.8?

Or did you do a 5.4 swap? I am so confused.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

Oh deng. Oops. Not easy in a 3.8?

Or did you do a 5.4 swap? I am so confused.
Well, expeditions didn't come with 3.8s, so ...

Yes, we swapped in a 5.4. The 4.6 was mistreated by the PO and since we were in there anyway, you know. Had to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How fuckin stupid would it be to daily drive an AP2 S2k year round in Boston?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just got my 1998 Volvo V70R fixed. It's got a set of Continental Extremecontact DWS tires on it that were installed 20k miles ago. I've noticed it seems to squeal the tires in hard cornering at a much lower threshold than my Volvo 940 (equipped with Hankook Ventus s1 Noble 2s with about 8000 miles) does; I've never been able to get the 940 to squeal the tires.

Is this to be expected, given that the V70R's front-biased AWD and weighs ~700 lbs more and has older tires, or can it be caused by my alignment being off? I know there's something up with the alignment, as the steering wheel's a couple degrees off center.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm inclined to say that a different car on different tyres isn't a fair comparison, but if I'm understanding what you're meaning, it didn't do it before, so on that front, yes, you may want to get your alignment checked.

The steering wheel not being straight doesn't necessarily indicate an alignment issue per se - if the alignment was set with it off-centre, it'll be off-centre despite everything else being perfect. If you're concerned, when you get it checked ask them to make sure the wheel is straight when straight ahead.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

InitialDave posted:

I'm inclined to say that a different car on different tyres isn't a fair comparison, but if I'm understanding what you're meaning, it didn't do it before, so on that front, yes, you may want to get your alignment checked.

The steering wheel not being straight doesn't necessarily indicate an alignment issue per se - if the alignment was set with it off-centre, it'll be off-centre despite everything else being perfect. If you're concerned, when you get it checked ask them to make sure the wheel is straight when straight ahead.

It did do that before - it does it less now that I've upgraded the sway bars, but still more than the entirely different car. I'm just trying to figure out whether I can chalk it up to differences in the cars and tires, or something needing fixing.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
So, are these notches worn into the wheel hub on my 2000 wrangler, driver front side, what is causing my wheel drag, and do I need to replace the whole thing to remedy the problem? The pads are asymmetrically worn on this one, so I know that I'll have to replace the fronts, at least.

Edit: that's not the hub, what would I call that part?

Edit 2: phone posting and forgot timg

EightBit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 10, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That picture is loving ginormous, but yeah that's a common issue. You don't have it very bad yet, I've seen the notches 1/8" deep and a quarter inch wide.

Grind them out until you get to shiny metal, stack MIG weld beads till it's proud of the surface, and grind/file down till it's all a straight smooth square edge again. All fixed.

The knuckles are cast steel, not cast iron, so ignore all the redneck internet wisdom you'll get on jeep sites about that making them brittle, the knuckles cracking if you do that, blah blah bullshit. I've done this on 3-4 vehicles (and many of my friends have as well as hundreds or thousands of jeep owners worldwide) and so far I have heard of precisely zero knuckle failures.

e: that's the outer steering knuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I remembered what it was called once I stepped into the shower. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder, nor can I easily get a decent one. No 220v connection except what the dryer uses, and it's a rented house. I need to check the other side for this and then fork out some more money to Rockauto. Local parts store wants literally double the price, though.