Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LeeMajors posted:

Then again, I want a manual I4 or I6 turbodiesel tractor engine Landcruiser with vinyl seats, so maybe I'm out of touch with the American Consumer™.

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are out of touch. Even if they made exactly what you wanted, would you buy one new off the lot? Probably not. You want a 10 year old one that someone else ate all the depreciation on. Manufacturers need to sell new cars, not provide internet people the used cars they want in 5 to 8 years when they can finally afford them.

I don't know what they call it, because it should have a name*, but all the vocal auto "enthusiast" on the internet want certain niche vehicles and swear on their grandma's life there is a huge pent up demand for them. Even when someone does take a chance and brings them here, they don't sell worth a poo poo because these vocal internet auto "enthusiast" don't buy new cars off the lot. They aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is.

CTS-V Wagon: Dead
GT-R: Sold about 10K units since it came to the US. Total. Not one year, all years.
Chevy SS: Selling like crap.
E63 AMG Wagon: Special Order only for the US, less than 20 a month sold.

The list goes on and on.

I don't even know how well the upcoming Focus RS is going to sell to be honest. Lot's of folks say they want a super hot hatch, but when it comes time to write the 35 to 40K check, they get really quiet.
F-150 Platinum editions fly off the lot as fast as they come in.

*Maybe they should call it the Jalopnik effect or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PBCrunch posted:

There's a market for Mercedes G-wagons, so there might be a market for these (with a Lexus badge).

That market is tiny, too. They sell maybe a couple thousand a year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

skipdogg posted:

I don't know what they call it, because it should have a name*, but all the vocal auto "enthusiast" on the internet want certain niche vehicles and swear on their grandma's life there is a huge pent up demand for them.

Waldo, cuz seriously, where is this guy?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are out of touch. Even if they made exactly what you wanted, would you buy one new off the lot? Probably not. You want a 10 year old one that someone else ate all the depreciation on. Manufacturers need to sell new cars, not provide internet people the used cars they want in 5 to 8 years when they can finally afford them.

I don't know what they call it, because it should have a name*, but all the vocal auto "enthusiast" on the internet want certain niche vehicles and swear on their grandma's life there is a huge pent up demand for them. Even when someone does take a chance and brings them here, they don't sell worth a poo poo because these vocal internet auto "enthusiast" don't buy new cars off the lot. They aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is.

GT-R: Sold about 10K units since it came to the US. Total. Not one year, all years.

The list goes on and on.

I don't even know how well the upcoming Focus RS is going to sell to be honest. Lot's of folks say they want a super hot hatch, but when it comes time to write the 35 to 40K check, they get really quiet.

I would buy both the GT-R and the E63 AMG Wagon new off the lot (well, special order with my terrible color choices) if I could afford either. Unfortunately, I cannot (yet).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

skipdogg posted:

Theres a good size market for FoSTs, but yeah. Even adding HP and AWD when you are talking about $35k the choices spread out quite a bit.

KillHour posted:

I would buy both the GT-R and the E63 AMG Wagon new off the lot (well, special order with my terrible color choices) if I could afford either. Unfortunately, I cannot (yet).
Automakers don't care about what people would buy *IF* they had enough money to afford it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just wanted a wagon version of my Optima SX, but since I ended up buying an Optima SX anyway, Kia didn't lose any money and no one learned a lesson. How do I vote with my wallet if no one makes what I want?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Dare I ask how much?

34k USD.
You literally can't afford not to buy one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Residency Evil posted:

Dare I ask how much?

NZ moon dollars:

I wanted to post the troop carrier style, but it doesn't seem to be available in this market anymore (or the wagon either by the looks of it) so it's just the awkward looking ute version

For perspective the most expensive one is about $1k more expensive than the cheapest Prado (which is like a less fancy Lexus GX with a diesel engine)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

smooth jazz posted:

34k USD.
You literally can't afford not to buy one.

:negative:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Senpai will surely notice you riding in a 12 cyl Toyota Century.

The vehicles' interiors are usually ordered in wool cloth, rather than the leather seen in many luxury cars; leather is not as quiet as cloth when sat upon.

White lace curtains are usually installed in the rear window, instead of tinted windows, which are perceived to attract unwarranted attention.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
If you're riding in a Century, there's probably no pai more sen than yours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's like a Daimler Double-Six but reliable.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

If you're riding in a Century, there's probably no pai more sen than yours.

2015 Toyota Century: You are the Senpai.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It kinda looks like a bentley, the lack of oil drippings gave it away as Japanese :japan:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's a Japanese Lincoln Town Car, it was even last updated in 1995!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

dissss posted:

NZ moon dollars:

I wanted to post the troop carrier style, but it doesn't seem to be available in this market anymore (or the wagon either by the looks of it) so it's just the awkward looking ute version

For perspective the most expensive one is about $1k more expensive than the cheapest Prado (which is like a less fancy Lexus GX with a diesel engine)

Weird, we get both styles in Aus so I can't understand why you don't get them. A quick check on the Toyota Australia website suggests it starts at $63k or so here.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

dissss posted:

I wanted to post the troop carrier style,

i'm imagining a realtively dinky little Land Cruiser cab with an M35 back end stuck on it. Do you mean just a regular SUV body style?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
This style - they actually call it that

You get into the passenger area from the rear of the vehicle, and there are benches that run down each side so you can fit a bunch of people back there (somewhat dangerously)

Aargh: We used to get the other styles until quite recently - I guess they've fallen foul of some safety regulation that vehicles with trays are exempt from (for the moment)

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
CAR magazine quotes Alfa Giulia head designer:

quote:

‘The V6 is a ground-up build, twin turbos, 90 degree bank'
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/alfa-romeo/seven-surprises-on-new-alfa-romeo-giulia-revealed-by-chief-engineer/

If the angle is correct it is certainly not a derivative of the Pentastar V6.

The 90-degree angle is quite unusual for a V6. Usually that happens when you take a V8 and remove two cylinders. I wonder how closely related the Giulia QV V6 engine is to the Ferrari 488 V8:

Ferrari 488:
Displacement: 3.9 x 6/8 = 2.925
Power: 670 hp x 6/8 = 502.5

Giulia QV:
Displacement: 2.9 or 3.0 depending on the source
Power: 510 hp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Bore/stroke would help.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

dissss posted:

This style - they actually call it that

You get into the passenger area from the rear of the vehicle, and there are benches that run down each side so you can fit a bunch of people back there (somewhat dangerously)

Aargh: We used to get the other styles until quite recently - I guess they've fallen foul of some safety regulation that vehicles with trays are exempt from (for the moment)
That is the most uncomfortably practical thing imaginable, I love it. Seems like it'd compete with a 3/4 ton base-trim Suburban in that area. I drive a mid-spec one, so I get decadent bourgeois cloth seats, but the suspension manages to articulate the gently caress out of uneven terrain while being stiff enough that big bumps in a paved road will give you a slipped disc pretty quick.

Enough about the ghost of cardom past, what about the ghost of cardom future... Fuel economy. The regulations for 2035 CAFE requirements make me wonder, are we gonna have a second malaise era where instead of emissions, it's fuel economy that's choking the power out of everything? That's not a problem for Miata fans since power isn't a concern, but what about leadfoots and drag queens strippers racers? Even cops for that matter - the only reason the Mustang SSP was a thing in Malaise Era I is because no usable engine was powerful enough in a full-size sedan, so maybe they'll have to go back to an interceptor that's only fast because it's lightweight, with gutless bigger cars for regular patrol.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 10, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Enough about the ghost of cardom past, what about the ghost of cardom future... Fuel economy. The regulations for 2035 CAFE requirements make me wonder, are we gonna have a second malaise era where instead of emissions, it's fuel economy that's choking the power out of everything? That's not a problem for Miata fans since power isn't a concern, but what about leadfoots and drag queens strippers racers? Even cops for that matter - the only reason the Mustang SSP was a thing in Malaise Era I is because no usable engine was powerful enough in a full-size sedan, so maybe they'll have to go back to an interceptor that's only fast because it's lightweight, with gutless bigger cars for regular patrol.

The direct effect I've seen from CAFE is that real-world fuel economy is diverging more from rated fuel economy. In the late 90s / early 2000s it seemed like it was pretty easy to get rated fuel economy or better, and from modern cars I've seen a huge shortcoming. My wife's Focus is rated at 26/37 and she gets 24-25 mpg on her commute, my brother in law's truck is rated at 18/23 and he gets 17mpg.

Some part of this may be due to speed limit increases near me, or more ethanol in gas, but real world fuel economy definitely hasn't improved as much as rated has.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

The list goes on and on.

This is a really good post. I remember when I was 16 I couldn't figure out why anyone buying a new car wouldn't just buy a Civic for 5k and then pour $20k in to make it the sweetest Civic ever.

Wonder what 16 year old me would think now. :sigh:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

skipdogg posted:

You can look at where Ford is putting their newest, highest tech, and I think best engine to see where the money is: F150s and midsize crossovers. That 2.7 making 325hp/375 tq is an absolutely amazing engine that they should stuff into everything, but it's going into most F150s and the new top-trim Edge because that's their bread and butter. Real transaction price on most of those is ~$40k or more also.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

The direct effect I've seen from CAFE is that real-world fuel economy is diverging more from rated fuel economy. In the late 90s / early 2000s it seemed like it was pretty easy to get rated fuel economy or better, and from modern cars I've seen a huge shortcoming. My wife's Focus is rated at 26/37 and she gets 24-25 mpg on her commute, my brother in law's truck is rated at 18/23 and he gets 17mpg.

Some part of this may be due to speed limit increases near me, or more ethanol in gas, but real world fuel economy definitely hasn't improved as much as rated has.

Its worth considering that most people have piss poor habits when it comes to when to apply the go pedal, how much should be applied and when to stop and coast while you are coming up to stoplights.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Not till mid 2016 as far as I understand.

Well there goes any hope of comparison shopping.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm guessing there will be enough electric and hybrid cars to offset a few gas performance vehicles by then? I'd expect cars to drop a lot of weight as well, which definitely won't hurt.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

BraveUlysses posted:

Its worth considering that most people have piss poor habits when it comes to when to apply the go pedal, how much should be applied and when to stop and coast while you are coming up to stoplights.

Not to mention the turbo boost fun factory is inversely proportional to gas mileage. I'm personally incapable of driving a boosted car with out hearing it spool and dump the BOV/BPV. I get between 19-22mpg in my wrx in a relatively smooth commute.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sadi posted:

Not to mention the turbo boost fun factory is inversely proportional to gas mileage. I'm personally incapable of driving a boosted car with out hearing it spool and dump the BOV/BPV. I get between 19-22mpg in my wrx in a relatively smooth commute.

Well, that would explain the truck given that Ford is running 31psi of boost through that 2.7.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Sorry, your wife chooses not to drive economically. My neighbor drives a '13 Focus hatchback and has a 32mpg average, I drive a '13 C-Max and I average 41. The cars are certainly capable of their rated economy, its the drivers who are the limiting factor.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

blugu64 posted:

It's a Japanese Lincoln Town Car, it was even last updated in 1995!

Exactly. That exaggeratedly-plush cloth seating is giving me flashbacks to early 1980s American land barges big-time.

And of course it has the king of all "hide all engine under plastic" engine covers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sadi posted:

This post made me laugh, I had a gently caress off loud BOV on my SRT-4 back in the day, so much gas wasted hearing that thing. Probably best that I can't hear anything from the SHO or XSport with the 3.5L EB engines. My SHO on the highway returns pretty respectable mileage. I can easily get 26MPG with the radar cruise set to 78. Driving around town though allows for more liberal application of the fun pedal, straight city MPG can dip down to 17 depending on how hard I romp it. I average 22.5MPG per tank over the last 20K miles though. Not bad for a giant AWD car with 365HP.

Residency Evil posted:

This is a really good post. I remember when I was 16 I couldn't figure out why anyone buying a new car wouldn't just buy a Civic for 5k and then pour $20k in to make it the sweetest Civic ever.

Wonder what 16 year old me would think now. :sigh:

We all went through that phase I think. I was 18 and had a 92 Ford Escort, I found a "mod" on a newsgroup that mentioned taking off the intake silencer made MOAR POWER. It made the car a little louder but that was probably it. Back in the SRT-4 heyday I watched plenty of young adults buy a brand new SRT-4 for 20K and then dump 5 to 10K into it trying to get it to compete with Evo's and STI's. Such a waste of money, they all would have been better off just taking that 10K and buying the 30K car they really wanted.

I don't mod cars anymore, I'm in my mid 30's and prefer to just buy the car how I want it. I don't have the time or interest anymore :smith:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Sorry, your wife chooses not to drive economically. My neighbor drives a '13 Focus hatchback and has a 32mpg average, I drive a '13 C-Max and I average 41. The cars are certainly capable of their rated economy, its the drivers who are the limiting factor.

With the enormous Pilot Sport 3 tires and 18" wheels? I'm convinced those have got to be somewhat responsible for the mediocre fuel economy. Even on the highway I can barely get that thing over 32mpg driving under the speed limit and doing some hypermiling stuff.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The best mpg I've gotten with my Golf TDI is the EPA estimated 42. It goes down pretty bad as you get over 70. I generally get high 20's/low 30's at 80mph in winter driving to/from Denver for snowboarding trips.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fknlo posted:

The best mpg I've gotten with my Golf TDI is the EPA estimated 42. It goes down pretty bad as you get over 70. I generally get high 20's/low 30's at 80mph in winter driving to/from Denver for snowboarding trips.

Which is why I hate the current EPA Test cycle. Speed limits here in Texas are 75MPH on major freeways outside of the city and 65/70 in the city. Stretches of toll roads are 80MPH. If they simply changed the test to be a little bit more real world, manufacturers would adjust their gearing and result in major REAL WORLD fuel savings. Not some bullshit test that never goes about 60MPH.

Manufacturers gear everything for max efficiency for the bullshit test and it makes me angry. :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Which is why I hate the current EPA Test cycle. Speed limits here in Texas are 75MPH on major freeways outside of the city and 65/70 in the city. Stretches of toll roads are 80MPH. If they simply changed the test to be a little bit more real world, manufacturers would adjust their gearing and result in major REAL WORLD fuel savings. Not some bullshit test that never goes about 60MPH.

Manufacturers gear everything for max efficiency for the bullshit test and it makes me angry. :colbert:

What matters more: average speed that you could theoretically get on some freeways, some times of day, at higher speeds OR realizing that for an entire tank of gas, your average speed is much, much lower than the peak speeds on the highway. You get most of your benefits on the freeway from not slowing or stopping, not from having a low cD or gearing that optimizes your economy at average speeds you're unlikely to maintain for the life of a vehicle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've gotten above the 34mpg rating on my BRZ. Round trip between Pittsburgh to DC netted me 34.5 MPG. That wasn't obeying the speed limit either. 75-80 mph nearly the whole way and the PA turnpike isn't exactly flat.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Last in the series of JDM Toyota we don't get cause we're fat:

GRMN Mark X bathed in spoilers and alcantara.

Toyota promises the Mark X GRMN weighs noticeably less than a 350S thanks to roof panel that is made entirely out of carbon fiber.

The touch screen-based infotainment system has been tossed out in order to save weight.

Power for the Mark X GRMN comes from a stock 350S-sourced 3.5-liter V6 engine that sends 321 horsepower and 280 lb-ft. of torque to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual transmission and a Torsen limited-slip differential

About 45k USD

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So its a riced out Lexus GS with a Toyota badge?

Why should we get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
It looks like it weighs 5,000 lbs.