Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yes I did it with zero hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you get an IOS image for a router that supports a switch card, you can use that to gently caress with switch commands.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Baconroll posted:

I've done the 11g OCA and OCP - For the OCP I'd suggest use a virtualbox system and do endless try-it/break-it/fix-it for all of the recovery scenarios (manual and RMAN). With a virtualbox machine you can just use a snapshot to roll things back if you really manage to trash it.

For study guides I found Oracle Press books very good and the CBT Nuggets videos were also useful.

The Transcender Practise Exams were pitched at the right level seemed to match the style & difficulty of the actual exams - so from my perspective it was money well spent.

I searched for the books in the google play store and was overwhelmed by the amount of books available. There are some books like the Installation & Administration Exam Guide, but I don't know if this would be enough to pass that exam or if I need to read another book before this one.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

If you get an IOS image for a router that supports a switch card, you can use that to gently caress with switch commands.

Alternatively you can go promode and hook your GNS3 setup to a physical switch :v:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

Maybe try one of the Chris Bryant videos from Udemy? The short segments may be easier to follow and you can lab along side it seems.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice, but especially this. Almost at the 10% mark already and it's been much easier to focus on the short segments. It's paced just fast enough to not be boring, but not so challenging that I need to rewatch anything. I won't say the guy is exactly entertaining, but the best you can hope for with these seems to be that they don't have some personality quirk that actively pisses you off, so I'm happy.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes I did it with zero hardware.

Same. Didn't even bother trying to fake a switch line card. GNS3 + cbtnuggets + Lammle book mostly for review at the end.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Are CCNA vouchers global? If I buy a CCNA voucher from the USA, can I use it in south America?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/3cvmr8/cisco_hasnt_officially_said_anything_but_theyre/

Not even remotely official, but interesting.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Passed the ccna voice! Needed 881 out of 1000. Super unfair test.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Passed the ccna voice! Needed 881 out of 1000. Super unfair test.

Badass! What made it unfair?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Without going into detail, there were a lot of "here's 6 possibilities, choose 3" and really specific GUI stuff.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Without going into detail, there were a lot of "here's 6 possibilities, choose 3" and really specific GUI stuff.

Weird. I'm super curious about what they security exam is going to entail but I guess I'll find out when I start studying!

eaglebtc
Feb 22, 2003
Thanks, OP, this was very helpful. I'm already Apple certified and do a lot of management on the command line, so I think the RHCSA will be the next step and should help me land some jobs in non-Apple or mixed environments.

eaglebtc fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 11, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Any recommendations for getting started on my MCSA 2012? I have a decent bit of working experience with 2012 (R2), am just looking for a decent book to prepare for the exams (starting with 70-410, then 70-411 and probably 74-409).

The reviews on Amazon are pretty much useless, but the goon hivemind has never let me down.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jeoh posted:

Any recommendations for getting started on my MCSA 2012? I have a decent bit of working experience with 2012 (R2), am just looking for a decent book to prepare for the exams (starting with 70-410, then 70-411 and probably 74-409).

The reviews on Amazon are pretty much useless, but the goon hivemind has never let me down.

I took a class through a community college and we used this:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP003082,miniSiteCd-MOAC.html

I don't know how useful the book would be for you, but the MLO Reg card might be a real asset. It's expensive but it gives you around 20 online labs for 70-410. There's ones for 70-411 and 412 too.
These labs are virtual machines so you aren't railroaded into doing the lab the way it wants you to.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Didn't pass my CCENT exam :( Thankfully, I understand what I did wrong and can refocus on that.

600 with a 800 needed to pass so I wasn't too far off.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
That's actually really far off.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I think the Cisco ones are 300-1000, so a score of 800 is about 70%. a score of 600 is about 40% so its a bit of a gap. Keep hitting the revision and you'll get there

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bigass Moth posted:

That's actually really far off.

:shrug: I expect the worst so it was a bit of a confidence boost to not bomb completely horribly.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Is Security+ as easy as it looks? I'm taking my test Saturday and everything I've run into so far seems like either fairly common knowledge or very surface level (pick the acronym that's an encryption protocol!). I'm almost worried that I'm going in overconfident.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is Security+ as easy as it looks? I'm taking my test Saturday and everything I've run into so far seems like either fairly common knowledge or very surface level (pick the acronym that's an encryption protocol!). I'm almost worried that I'm going in overconfident.

I felt the same way when I was studying for it and yes, it is that easy. Port numbers and acronyms are the two big areas iirc. Also knowing when a mantrap is appropriate vs a turnstile for whatever reason

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I took a class through a community college and we used this:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP003082,miniSiteCd-MOAC.html

I don't know how useful the book would be for you, but the MLO Reg card might be a real asset. It's expensive but it gives you around 20 online labs for 70-410. There's ones for 70-411 and 412 too.
These labs are virtual machines so you aren't railroaded into doing the lab the way it wants you to.

I've heard some bad stories about that book (not in-depth enough, skips some exam content). I miss the days my employer paid for actually MS classes...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crunk dork posted:

I felt the same way when I was studying for it and yes, it is that easy. Port numbers and acronyms are the two big areas iirc. Also knowing when a mantrap is appropriate vs a turnstile for whatever reason

I do physical security for a living, and I've never needed this information. I mean, I know the difference, but nobody has ever asked me "should we put a mantrap here or a turnstile?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's the easiest cert you'll ever get. Take it seriously, but this is not one to lose sleep over.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jeoh posted:

I've heard some bad stories about that book (not in-depth enough, skips some exam content). I miss the days my employer paid for actually MS classes...

The book is not enough, but if you don't have a home lab, the Reg cards are worth the money.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

skooma512 posted:

It's the easiest cert you'll ever get. Take it seriously, but this is not one to lose sleep over.

I've got an opportunity to teach Security+ at a local community college in the fall but I don't have the cert. I've got 5 years of industry experience, CEH and GIAC certs but I just skipped over Sec+. I imagine I could pass it without study but I just can't mentally do it. What's the go to Sec+ book?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doug posted:

I've got an opportunity to teach Security+ at a local community college in the fall but I don't have the cert. I've got 5 years of industry experience, CEH and GIAC certs but I just skipped over Sec+. I imagine I could pass it without study but I just can't mentally do it. What's the go to Sec+ book?
The Darril Gibson is the go-to. You probably wont even need it to be honest.

Know all the *ishing attacks. Differentiating between them seems to be important to CompTIA.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I've been pretty sporadic in my studying, but I've got the Gibson book and have been watching Professor Messer & CBT Nuggets videos. Honestly prefer the Professor Messer ones... kinda sad that I won't be able to use his stuff for anymore certs.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Ozu posted:

The Darril Gibson is the go-to. You probably wont even need it to be honest.

Know all the *ishing attacks. Differentiating between them seems to be important to CompTIA.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain I could pass without it, but so far I've got a perfect streak of passing certs on my first attempt and I don't want Sec+ to be the one to gently caress that up. If the college will give me a voucher for it, I may just go in blind. Thanks for the book rec.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Doug posted:

Thread OP has the book, the same one they mentioned by Gibson. I used it too.

Messer is good as well. Cbtnuggets is helpful, but don't burn your free trial for it. I also bought Gibson's audio offerings, which are the shaded parts if the book and the Q&A.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
I am currently working on getting the CCNA and am intending to get a Microsoft server cert and preferably specialize in security. But have zero experience working at corporate job or really even in a cubicle farm. Am I going to have trouble getting a job even if I have the certs?

Also, I really want to get into pentesting but going for the Microsoft server cert just in case I have trouble finding work. Is it viable to just jump straight into security and skip any kind of server management?

I am open to taking a lower paying job as a help desk monkey just to pad out my resume, would a ccnet be good enough for that or should I go for the A+ as well just to be safe? Did some of the practice questions and was able to answer almost all of them with little effort.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jeesis posted:

I am currently working on getting the CCNA and am intending to get a Microsoft server cert and preferably specialize in security. But have zero experience working at corporate job or really even in a cubicle farm. Am I going to have trouble getting a job even if I have the certs?

Also, I really want to get into pentesting but going for the Microsoft server cert just in case I have trouble finding work. Is it viable to just jump straight into security and skip any kind of server management?

I am open to taking a lower paying job as a help desk monkey just to pad out my resume, would a ccnet be good enough for that or should I go for the A+ as well just to be safe? Did some of the practice questions and was able to answer almost all of them with little effort.

A MCSA or CCNA prior to any real experience would easily get your foot in the door somewhere as desktop support. You wouldn't need A+ unless you really wanted to for that basic desktop support knowledge which you would pick up on the job in a matter of weeks anyway. I would go ahead and pick up Security+ however since that is a baseline security cert until you can go down the CISSP route

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 15, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
MCSA without any experience would be very difficult. It wouldn't hurt to have one of the three tests so you can claim to be an MCP.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Serious question, what is going on in India? I just talked to a double ccie with three years of experience. Do they have diploma mill tech programs?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I've been watching the Chris Bryant CCNP ROUTE videos on udemy and really enjoying them. Paired with the Cisco OCG I think I can finally buckle down and do it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Bigass Moth posted:

Serious question, what is going on in India? I just talked to a double ccie with three years of experience. Do they have diploma mill tech programs?

Our guys in India can barely manage to breathe and are cranking out CCIE's. Something over there isn't legit

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

KillHour posted:

I do physical security for a living, and I've never needed this information. I mean, I know the difference, but nobody has ever asked me "should we put a mantrap here or a turnstile?"
CompTIA seems to be in love with the term, so it might just be one of their weird things? It's popped up a few times as I'm studying for the Net+, and even when I studied for the A+.

In addition to the smurfing that was mentioned a few pages ago, I'm also so happy to see them talking about Wardriving and, *gasp*, Warchalking! Everybody batten down your access points, here come those nerds with their laptops and buckets of chalk!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

CompTIA seems to be in love with the term, so it might just be one of their weird things? It's popped up a few times as I'm studying for the Net+, and even when I studied for the A+.

In addition to the smurfing that was mentioned a few pages ago, I'm also so happy to see them talking about Wardriving and, *gasp*, Warchalking! Everybody batten down your access points, here come those nerds with their laptops and buckets of chalk!

I had to look that up. That's loving stupid.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

KillHour posted:

I had to look that up. That's loving stupid.

Here's what you do--create something fake and elaborate a few months out, say like the "best practices" order of touching sides of a PC chassis to ground yourself.

Get 3 goons to attend one of the CompTIA expert sessions, of which the the only participation requirements are "work in IT" and "willing to live within driving distance of Illinois."

Ram the idea through, get it incorporated into the A+ body of knowledge and textbook, then alert the tech press. Win a minor "See also" link on the Sokal Affair Wikipedia page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bigass Moth posted:

Ha, we got an email from a guy in india with a bunch of certs (I don't think he was CCIE, maybe just CCNP) looking for freelance work. His rate? $10/hour.