Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I'm pretty loving caremad right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Smirr posted:

I'm pretty loving caremad right now

Why? Because Martin crashed himself and other GC contenders?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Looked like some spectators were hanging over the barriers pretty far but Martin totally overreacted and now he's dead.

At least Uran Uran and Stybar are riding well (for now).

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

The Deadly Hume posted:

Martin looks pretty crook.

I'm trying to remember the other recent Tour where there were shitloads of crashes in the first week, wasn't it 2008?

2012 had that nuts 45 man pileup at 55km h pretty early. By the end of the first week something like 35 guys were dns

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Did you guys hear that Nibali threw his bidon at Froome because he was blaming Froome for the crash?

Poor old Tony Martin! The dumb arse tour organisers made him put on a ceremonial version of the yellow jersey at the award ceremony, rather than allowing him to wear the one he's crashed in, despite his broken collarbone!

I hope Sagan or Cav get a stage victory tomorrow.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Xir posted:

Why? Because Martin crashed himself and other GC contenders?

Because I really like Tony Martin and that crash was dumb as hell and now he's dead. But this:

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Did you guys hear that Nibali threw his bidon at Froome because he was blaming Froome for the crash?

makes everything a bit better. Everybody Hates Chris

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Finally getting yellow and then losing it a day later because of a broken collarbone is the most Tony Martin thing ever.

On a lighter note, a Norwegian TV reporter tried to eat the same amount of food a Tour rider eats in a day and posted a video of the results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWgsLGJUOc0

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Believe it or not, if you find yourself in this position, it can be safer to do a counter steer into the front tire in front of you to regain your balance. I know it sounds wrong, but it's not.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tony Martin is now saying he wants to try and ride tomorrow.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

serious gaylord posted:

Tony Martin is now saying he wants to try and ride tomorrow.

The team doctor has vetoed this on account of him having an open fracture of his collarbone and he's having surgery tomorrow.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Booooo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tarbrush posted:

The team doctor has vetoed this on account of him having an open fracture of his collarbone and he's having surgery tomorrow.
Tony martin is a crazy boyo

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Poor Tony :smith:. That is really sad.

The yellow really will take payment in the form of blood before it settles on Froome the anointed one with his goon squad.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 10, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Gibbo posted:

2012 had that nuts 45 man pileup at 55km h pretty early. By the end of the first week something like 35 guys were dns
Yeah, this is probably the one I was thinking of. Had trouble recalling it because it was the year of the WIGGO.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ted Ed Fred posted:

As hilarious as this is, I can't see how on earth he thought it was froomes fault.
He was the one that piled into froome after being smashed into from his left :psyduck:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Also the year a rider got mowed down by a French TV car. Was it Laurens ten Dam who went into the barbed wire?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Dirk Pitt posted:

Also the year a rider got mowed down by a French TV car. Was it Laurens ten Dam who went into the barbed wire?

Johnny Hoogerland.

2012 year someone punctured a loving lung with a broken rib.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Hoogerland went into the barbed wire, LTD did a massive endo and rode with the big bandage over his face.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Skarsnik posted:

As hilarious as this is, I can't see how on earth he thought it was froomes fault.
He was the one that piled into froome after being smashed into from his left :psyduck:

Like real life dominos.

Also, whenver I hear about barbed wire injuries I'm thinking wtf is it even doing there by the side of the road.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

wide stance posted:

Like real life dominos.

Also, whenver I hear about barbed wire injuries I'm thinking wtf is it even doing there by the side of the road.

It was a good 5-7ft away and they were in farmland? The better question is what the gently caress was that driver doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlAKjWcBezA

He literally flies off the road.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

wide stance posted:

Are you serious?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Wasn't 2012 also the year the Orica bus got stuck under the finish line bridge as well?

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
I know that the crash was a very important moment in the race but the NBC call of Stybar taking it was so anti-climactic it bums me out. Possibly not their fault as race radio was probably too much of a mess with the crash chaos to get the proper leader's name and situation relayed correctly.

Big Stybar fan and so happy for the guy.

Troy Queef posted:

Wasn't 2012 also the year the Orica bus got stuck under the finish line bridge as well?

Pretty sure that was 2013.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Iron Beagle posted:

I know that the crash was a very important moment in the race but the NBC call of Stybar taking it was so anti-climactic it bums me out. Possibly not their fault as race radio was probably too much of a mess with the crash chaos to get the proper leader's name and situation relayed correctly.

Big Stybar fan and so happy for the guy.

Pretty sure that was 2013.

The Eurosport coverage was disastrous as well, to be fair it seems that there is absolutely no communication between the announcers and the cameras, so its not really their fault, but it just sucked to see Martin on the ground only to cut to stybar suddenly cruising across the line essentially.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

The Eurosport coverage was disastrous as well, to be fair it seems that there is absolutely no communication between the announcers and the cameras, so its not really their fault, but it just sucked to see Martin on the ground only to cut to stybar suddenly cruising across the line essentially.

Pictures are mixed by ASO or French TV (I'm not quote sure which). Eurosport/international broadcasters have no influence over what is being shown at all, beyond having the opportunity to go to commercial, which wouldn't have helped much.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Skarsnik posted:

tbf if youre laying on the ground in a pile with other cyclists and one of them is froome its a pretty logical conclusion to jump to.

also today i learned that if a cow is sitting down its a sign of rain. thanks tdf coverage!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Froome's not going to wear the yellow jersey today apparently. Honestly didn't know that was something you can do. Last guy to do it was Greg Lemond in 1991, same reason

Oh wait, 2007 too

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like that Thibaud Pinot signed up for Strava's Tour challenge:
https://www.strava.com/challenges/letour

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador managed to crash in the neutralised zone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

to be fair, the neutralised zones tend to have an awful lot of stuff to crash into

So does that mean 'cant control a bike' froome is the only one of the contenders yet to hit the deck?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Froome's vaping to steady his hands

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ah ok, must have missed that one!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats from last year?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

😉

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can see his motorised wheel spinning away there

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

serious gaylord posted:

Thats from last year?

Yep, that's 2014. I think that's Froome's first crash last year.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bless John Degenkolb, but his hair is not very well suited for a shampoo advertisement.

Also I'm glad I didn't watch today.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah I'm going on a recovery ride rather than watch anymore of this snooze fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

That's early from Greipel